ORAS LC 200 Post Milestone RMT: Roots

Conni

katharsis
a little song to set a mood for this team that I've built using the "roots" or all that I've learned in LC and applying it to a team.

Introduction
Then again, this team isn't based around any Pokemon in specific as it is rather a collage of all the things I've experienced, tested and learnt in my time in Little Cup although I won't stop learning as this is what I've learnt so far in a team and how my understanding of Little Cup has increased since the day I started

The team building process is kind of random and not much thought put into it but the end result is quite satisfying:

So first I thought that I wanted some top tier common Pokemon like Pokemon ranked S, which brings me to use Mienfoo, one of the best Pokemon in the tier, I chose the common bulky attacker set as it is very viable, bringing down tyrants like Pawniard and Magnemite, and crippling setup sweepers with Taunt or keeping momentum with U-Turn, it just felt wrong not to have a top tier mon on your team.

Secondly, I thought of a Pokemon that could do well with Mienfoo, like deal with some of it's checks or can bring Mienfoo safely into battle, which leads me to Magnemite, a reliable special attacker and I chose the Sturdy + Berry Juice set because it allows Magnemite to take a hit like nothing happened and strike back and repeat all over again which can be annoying for the other team to deal with

After getting these strong attackers, I thought of a little defense or support Pokemon which leads to Drilbur which is the team's resident entry hazard removal system and entry hazard deployment system, Drilbur can also be a decent attacker with Earthquake and Rock Slide providing support and decent offensive capabilities

Taking my mind of offense, I started to think of an annoying Pokemon to have, namely: Cottonee. As we all know and hate; Prankster Cottonee is very annoying as it has Encore which can cripple setup sweepers and Thunder Wave which can cripple frail, fast attackers such as Abra. Cottonee also has good STAB moves to maintain it's longevity so it can annoy the opposing team a little more

Since I mentioned a lot about setup sweepers, wynaut have one? :3. Firstly, I've added Clamperl to my team as a nice niche Shell Smash sweeper although I've quickly come to realize it's flaws and that I needed to change it, luckily I came across Berks' article and decided to add Tirtouga instead as a "solid" (haha pun) Shell Smash sweeper with more coverage against other Pokemon which the end result became really good

Lastly we have our favorite pony: Ponyta. I felt like without speed modifications, half of my team might be too slow, so I changed that with the fast and furious Ponyta, wielding strong Fire-type moves to the collection destroying Pokemon like Snivy. It also provides status with Will-O-Wisp as my team doesn't have a lot of status moves after I came to realize

Meet the Team

Tirtouga (Big Boy Blue)

Tirtouga is the team's main (and only) setup sweeper as it is a solid and strong Pokemon with Shell Smash and can nearly sweep all Pokemon with just neutral damage if it doesn't have any statuses inflicted on it. Tirtouga can handle many Pokemon with Waterfall as Water-type moves cover a lot of types, so does Stone Edge bringing high damage and a high critical hit ratio, Tirtouga also carries Zen Headbutt so it can deal with Fighting-types after it uses Shell Smash, namely Croagunk. Regardless of it's powerfulness after setting up, Tirtouga is prone to priority moves as it lowers it's defenses in order to become more offensive meaning super effective priority moves like Vacuum Wave can easily take it down.

Ponyta (My Little Pony)
Our resident little pony may look cute, but it is very overwhelming as it has a very high Speed stat, and can dazzle opponents with a very powerful STAB Flare Blitz, or a nice coverage move such as Wild Charge. Ponyta can also burn and cripple physical attackers such as Mienfoo with Will-O-Wisp, and ensure it's longevity with Morning Sun to keep causing more powerful mayhem. Ponyta, however, is completely walled by Chinchou as it can wall Flare Blitz and Wild Charge and unless it switches out, it will be destroyed by Scald.

Drilbur (Clawz)
Our hard working entry hazard deployment and removal system does a number on the team as it supports the Pokemon in its team with supporting, first-hand damage and avoiding our frail Pokemon from taking first-hand damage and becoming more vulnerable to moves. Drilbur plays a key role due to that entry hazards are very common in Little Cup as they can break longevity and cause the tables to turn. Drilbur also has good standard moves such as the powerful STAB Earthquake and a nice coverage move in Rock Slide. Being a Ground-type, Drilbur has many type weaknesses, most namely the super effectives types that outspeed it such as Choice Scarf Amaura and Snivy can deal with it quickly.

Magnemite (Swagnemite)
Our very own swag master in Little Cup: Magnemite, makes an appearance in this team. Magnemite has a very high SpA stat making the primary special attacker of the team, wielding the powerful Flash Cannon, the momentum supporting Volt Switch and the responsible consumption use of Recycle making Magnemite a contributor to the environment and granting it more longevity in a battle. Hidden Power Ground also makes Magnemite comfortable against some of it's checks such as Ponyta. Magnemite is very reliant on it's item so Knock Off can pose a threat, Fighting-type Pokemon can also be a pain as Magnemite has no coverage moves against them (unless it's Croagunk) and is forced to use Volt Switch, entry hazards also render Sturdy useless and allows it to be OHKOed easily.

Cottonee (Fluffy Ball of Fluff)
Cottonee serves as a very annoying Pokemon, a bulky attacker and a nice pillow for camping in the forests of Unova. Jokes aside, Cottonee is indeed annoying with it's awesome ability Prankster allowing it to cripple setup sweepers and fast and frail Pokemon with Encore and Thunder Wave. Cottonee also has standard, powerful STAB moves in Giga Drain and Moonblast allowing it to do substantial damage. Cottonee is 4x weak to Poison and isn't very fast so it can be easily defeated by a Pokemon like Grimer. Pawniard can also wall it and continue to abuse it with Knock Off and Iron Head.

Mienfoo (Weasel Po)
It's the Kung Fu Panda! Wait, not really, that's a Kung Fu Weasel...right? Anyways, due to the confusion of it's kung fu status, Mienfoo makes a very good common top tier Pokemon, that is fit for nearly all LC teams. Mienfoo is a very excellent bulky attacker allowing it to do massive damage with Drain Punch and also healing itself which extends its longevity in a battle. Knock Off can also remove precious items to opposing Pokemon rendering them weak to Mienfoo's powerful moves. Mienfoo can also detect danger and safely switch out with U-Turn, or cripple setup sweepers with Taunt. Mienfoo is weak against Knock Off as although it's also naturally bulky, super effective moves do much more and can threaten it, status moves are also very effective on Mienfoo as it can hinder its longevity or offensive capabilities.

Conclusion

Overall, I am very proud of myself as I can see evident improvement in my skills in when I started LC and where I am now, I've also received new experiences as LC was the first competitive metagame I actually understood and have a lot of experience with, and I will definitely improve my skills even further and make a showcase of my abilities in the near future and hopefully, the evidence of improvement can be seen more clearly and how my journey into competitive Pokemon is progressing

Shoutouts
Thank you to my dear Little Cup senpais: Coconut macle Quote and Berks your contributions and informative work and pieces of advice have really helped me progress in my journey through LC and I wouldn't have got this far without you guys, you guys are the best and keep being cool by sticking with LC!

I want to thank my LC buddies and friends that I've also asked for friendly advice and opinions when I first joined the metagame, these guys are also my semi-senpais in Little Cup who've also become a memorable part in my journey: H0W3AN Fiend Sam-testings tko Altariel von Sweep Sken GOAO rssp1

These are the guys who got me in LC in the first place, never would've gotten far with you guys at the start too, and it all happened in a cafe in PS :) Mambo tcr

Would also want to shout out my other friends on PS, you guys made it worthwhile to stay on PS and chat, and do fun stuff all the time which I really enjoy and what motivates me to stay on PS and Smogon. Also shoutout to my lazy head brother who is also quite helpful and introduced me to the loving community of PS and Smogon, stop making me take out the trash though. To all my friends on PS and Smogon, you know who you are, thanks for everything! You guys are the best! Honorable mentions to Advantage , ty for the dank memes, Ciran , your puns are horrible, but I secretly enjoy them, Osiris , my true rival in finding tasty food pics, and Sobi , you've helped me a lot in Smogon, thanks!

Big Boy Blue (Tirtouga) @ Berry Juice
Ability: Sturdy
Level: 5
EVs: 212 Atk / 92 Def / 180 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Shell Smash
- Waterfall
- Stone Edge
- Zen Headbutt

My Little Pony (Ponyta) @ Eviolite
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 76 Atk / 156 Def / 76 SpD / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Morning Sun
- Will-O-Wisp
- Wild Charge

Clawz (Drilbur) @ Berry Juice
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 36 HP / 76 Atk / 36 Def / 76 SpD / 212 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin
- Rock Slide
- Stealth Rock

Swagnemite (Magnemite) @ Berry Juice
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 36 Def / 236 SpA / 236 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 1 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 SpD
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Recycle
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Fluffy Ball of Fluff (Cottonee) @ Eviolite
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 116 HP / 196 Def / 196 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Encore
- Dazzling Gleam
- Giga Drain
- Stun Spore

Weasel Po (Mienfoo) @ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 236 Atk / 36 Def / 196 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Taunt

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)