2011-12 Football/Soccer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Need to replace Arteta (he'll be missing until the 20th at least) and probably Suarez for the fantasy league, who to get? 17 points max.

Havak

I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
What now? Probably a CB (Liverpool bid for P. Jones so i can only assume that a cb is on kenny's list). My choices are:

1) Cahill
2) Subotic
3) Samba
4) Scott Dann
I think Samba is going to Spurs, and Dann to Arsenal. Have to wait and see if you can make a move for the other two, though. Wouldn't surprise me if you got Cahill, based on Kenny's policy of "is he British? Get him!".

;)

As a Liverpool fan,I don't really care about the overpayment on Carroll. The owners gave a reason (make it 15M less than we got for Torres, remember he funded it all) and clearly have the money. They've been shrewd with Suarez, Enrique and Adam, but shown they have heavy spending power to pretty much match City and Chelsea. If we get Scott Dann/Gary Cahill I'll be over the moon with how this transfer window has been. I'm also aware that this could push Liverpool to City levels of "buying the trophy" but I think that the players have simply been overpriced due to being English (Imagine how much an English Aguero would have cost!). I honestly hope our spending lessens in the coming transfer window so we can avoid the whole "buying trophies" thing...

Doesn't Subotic play for Dortmund? Not sure he'd fancy moving to a club not playing in the CL to be honest. I'm surprised Dortmund's squad hasn't been picked to pieces this window, players like Goetze, Kagawa, Subotic, Hummels, Barrios are all fantastic... Maybe Arsenal will try for one with the Fabregas money? Or wishful thinking for Arsenal fans, it'll be interesting to see how quickly he gets replacements, especially in time for the Champions League eligibility.

Oh yeah, here are my bets:

Blackburn Rovers - Wolverhampton Wanderers 1-1
Queens Park Rangers - Bolton Wanderers 0-2
Wigan Atletic - Norwich City 2-1
FC Liverpool - AFC Sunderland 2-0
FC Fulham - Aston Villa 1-2
Newcastle United - Arsenal FC 0-0
Stoke City - FC Chelsea 1-3
West Bromwich Albion - Manchester United 0-3
Manchester City - Swansea City 4-0

Tottenham - Everton postponed

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
yeah, dunno what Wenger's thinking signing a young English winger from Southampton who has zero experience outside of the lower leagues. what makes him think that's a good idea?

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
yeah, i admit that paying in the region of 12 million for a young English winger from Southampton who has zero experience outside of the lower leagues is pretty stupid and is very unlikely to pay off.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/a/arsenal/4614538.stm

Arsenal have completed the signing of Southampton striker Theo Walcott.
The highly-rated 16-year-old is moving to Arsenal for a fee that is expected to be worth an initial £5m, but rising to about £12.5m.

Ok my EPL Predictions

1. Man U
2. Man City
3. Chelsea
4. Arsenal
5. Tottenham
6. Everton
7. Liverpool
8. Fulham
9. Aston Villa
10. Stoke
11. Sunderland
12. Norwich
13. Wolves
14. WBA
15. Newcastle
16. Swansea
17. Blackburn
18. Bolton
19. QPR
20. Wigan

As a Liverpool fan,I don't really care about the overpayment on Carroll. The owners gave a reason (make it 15M less than we got for Torres, remember he funded it all) and clearly have the money. They've been shrewd with Suarez, Enrique and Adam, but shown they have heavy spending power to pretty much match City and Chelsea. If we get Scott Dann/Gary Cahill I'll be over the moon with how this transfer window has been. I'm also aware that this could push Liverpool to City levels of "buying the trophy" but I think that the players have simply been overpriced due to being English (Imagine how much an English Aguero would have cost!). I honestly hope our spending lessens in the coming transfer window so we can avoid the whole "buying trophies" thing...
To be honest, I'm not really convinced by this. We had the £50m and we could have done anything we want with it but we decided to spend £35m on Carroll. Nothing against Andy, he seems like a genuinely nice and fun guy to be around and he offers us something that we never really had (see the Man City game), but we just have to admit that we overpaid. Don't get me wrong, I'm extremely happy with Carroll since I always wanted to see a traditional English CF at LFC. Before purchasing Carroll, Liverpool had a £36m bid for Mario Gomez and a £33m bid for Llorente rejected. I could only imagine how dejected people (and me) would've been if we didn't get Carroll because it would have sent the wrong message to the fans (selling big and buying cheaper replacements under Hicks & Gillet - see Alonso / Mascherano).

My predictions:

Blackburn Rovers - Wolverhampton Wanderers 1-1
Queens Park Rangers - Bolton Wanderers 1-2
Wigan Atletic - Norwich City 3-0
FC Liverpool - AFC Sunderland 2-0
FC Fulham - Aston Villa 2-1
Newcastle United - Arsenal FC 0-2
Stoke City - FC Chelsea 1-1
West Bromwich Albion - Manchester United 1-3
Manchester City - Swansea City 3-0

Top 6:
1. Chelsea
2. Man Utd
3. Liverpool
4. Man City
5. Arsenal
6. Tottenham

------------------
Bottom 3
18. Swansea (Blackpool mk2 possibly)
19. Wigan
20. Norwich

Blackburn Rovers - Wolverhampton Wanderers 1-0
Queens Park Rangers - Bolton Wanderers 1-0
Wigan Atletic - Norwich City 1-0
FC Liverpool - AFC Sunderland 1-0
FC Fulham - Aston Villa 1-0
Newcastle United - Arsenal FC 1-0
Stoke City - FC Chelsea 1-0
West Bromwich Albion - Manchester United 1-0
Manchester City - Swansea City 1-0

Seeing how far I can get predicting 1-0 home wins all the time.

Havak

I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Blackburn Rovers 1-1 Wolverhampton Wanderers
Queens Park Rangers 2-1 Bolton Wanderers
Wigan Athletic 0-1 Norwich City
Liverpool 3-2 Sunderland
Fulham 1-0 Aston Villa
Newcastle United 2-1 Arsenal
Stoke City 0-2 Chelsea
West Bromwich Albion 1-2 Manchester United
Manchester City 3-0 Swansea City

shade

be sharp, say nowt
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
according to sky sports news barcelona players think a deal with arsenal for fabregas has been. not really much advancement on the story, but a pretty reputable source.

Blackburn Rovers 0-1 Wolverhampton Wanderers
Queens Park Rangers 2-2 Bolton Wanderers
Wigan Athletic 1-1 Norwich City
Liverpool 3-1 Sunderland
Fulham 1-3 Aston Villa
Newcastle United 2-2 Arsenal
Stoke City 0-2 Chelsea
West Bromwich Albion 0-2 Manchester United
Manchester City 3-0 Swansea City

Bartman101

Banned deucer.
Bolton've have signed former Stoke and Boro player Tuncay Sanli from Wolfsburg on a 1-year-loan-deal. Just what we've been needing too; a striker. We're still chasing SWP as well.

P.S. @The_Chaser, if we get relegated I'll leave these forums, simple as. That's how confident I am that we will stay up. Answer me this too, how are we not better than Wolves, Blackburn and Swansea, eh? And Everton finishing higher than Liverpool? Dude, in your dreams. Stupid Aussies, they know nothing about football...

So Wigan who aren't exactly rich have made a bid for Odemwingie of West Brom, despite already having Hugo Rodallega.
Seems too much of a coincidence that this bid comes out of nowhere on the day Arsenal are confirmed to be getting at least 35m and Rodallega is a player that they have been chasing a while.

Top 6:

1. Man Utd
2. Chelsea
3. City

Top 3 very close to each other.

4. Liverpool
5. Arsenal
6. Spurs

This Sunday Real Madrid vs Barcelona 1st leg of Supercup.

Waiting for this game. Real Madrid formula of ''Big Three Men'' (Cristiano Ronaldo, Ozil and Benzema) is working very well.

EDIT: My predictions:
Primeira Liga - Porto
Bundesliga - Borussia Dortmund
Eredivisie - Ajax
Ligue 1 - Paris Saint Germain (they have armed a frightening team this year. Also, 45 millions for Pastore)
EPL - Manchester United
La Liga - Real Madrid
Serie A - Milan

Bolton've have signed former Stoke and Boro player Tuncay Sanli from Wolfsburg on a 1-year-loan-deal. Just what we've been needing too; a striker. We're still chasing SWP as well.

P.S. @The_Chaser, if we get relegated I'll leave these forums, simple as. That's how confident I am that we will stay up. Answer me this too, how are we not better than Wolves, Blackburn and Swansea, eh? And Everton finishing higher than Liverpool? Dude, in your dreams. Stupid Aussies, they know nothing about football...
I'm sure many more people want Bolton to go down now.

My predictions:

1. Man Utd
2. Chelsea
3. Liverpool
4. Man City
5. Arsenal
6. Tottenham
7. Sunderland
8. Everton
9. Stoke
10. Aston Villa
11. Fulham
12. Newcastle
13. West Brom
14. Bolton
15. Norwich
16. Blackburn
17. Swansea
18. Wigan
19. Wolves
20. QPR

I was tempted to place Bolton as 20th, but I thought that I better not...

gentlemen our latest fun news: robbie keane to la galaxy. i have no idea is this for real or not, but it seems everybody is reporting it now

anyway......

1. man u
2. man city(with much reluctance)
3. chelsea
4. liverpool
5. arsenal(should i be the biased fan or not)
6. tottenham(assuming modric stays, if he doesnt and no striker comes in switch with sunderland)
7. sunderland
8. fulham
9. everton
10. stoke
11. aston villa
12. west brom
13. bolton
14. newcastle
15. wolves
16. norwich
17. wigan
18. QPR
19. blackburn
20. swansea

I'm so pleased silly season is over... My prediction for Liverpool's line-up (with injuries and players rested because of the copa america):

----------------------------------Reina

-----Kelly--------Carragher------------------Agger---------Aurelio

---------------------Lucas---------------------Adam

---------Henderson------------Aquilani------------Downing

----------------------------------Carroll

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)