1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

2012 music

Discussion in 'Congregation of the Masses' started by Zoro, Dec 31, 2011.

1. Goodbar

Goodbar

Ugh looking at this thread and still yet not have hearing the full swans/grizzly bear album makes me feel ashamed :(. I haven't listened a ton to new music lately - I blame part of this on (re?)discovering Yo La Tengo and becoming obsessed with them - speaking of which they have an album coming out in January and I couldn't be any more excited.

Beach House's Bloom is absolutely stunning and definitely my favorite. It's funny because Teen Dream really didn't impress me a ton and they're similar but I guess the songs are just better crafted and the album more cohesive and involving. A couple other ones I liked a lot (again lots I haven't listened to yet that seems promising...)

Cloud Nothings - Attack on Memory (everything Steve Albini touches is gold)
    Fiona Apple - Idler Wheel (lol jail time)
    Magnetic Fields - Love at the Bottom of the Ocean (heavily underrated)
    Animal Collective - Centipede HZ (didn't like them a ton before this came out)
    Azealia Banks - 1991 EP (excellent 4 song collection)
    Wild Nothing - Nocturne (loving this dream pop stuff lol)
    Frank Ocean - Channel Orange (a little overrated but this guy's pretty cool)

Yea this is my first post in who knows how long and no one cares but w/e lol
  2. More Cowbell

More Cowbell

Found a leak of Ellie Goulding's new album Halcyon, and it's a very pleasant listen, for me at least. I probably liked her first album Bright Lights a bit more than I should, and while this rather different, it's still a good collection of pop songs with some electronic stuff mixed in. Ellie is easily one of the best singers out there right now.
  3. Glen

Glen
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

[youtube]GzNaJ7xlnDk[/youtube]

edit: oops???
  4. moot

moot

my stomach hurts from laughing holy shit
  5. Glen

Glen

[youtube]sokeAMDm7mk[/youtube]

bonus: some tranny trill
  6. Carl

Carl or Varl
    is a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Winner

new tame impala good if you like rehashed psych rock

psych rock is one of my favorite rocks so i love it
  7. DM

DM Ce soir, on va danser.
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnus

I'm seeing GY!BE on the 15th, I cannot fucking wait. I don't even want to hear the album before that, I want to hear it all for the first time live. Opinions?
  8. gookie

gookie Administrator
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

for a band like GY!BE i would recommend going in having not listened to anything, for a band like them the immersion and experience can only be amplified.

not like you should listen beforehand to sing along or anything lol
  9. Glen

Glen

10. Arch

Arch

Ughhhhhh you bastard. They don't have any tours in Florida and I won't be in Texas when they do tour there. Maybe they'll add some more dates but it's Godspeed and I highly doubt it. Anyways, you could go either way with listening to the songs or not. Whatever choice you make your brain is still going to explode. Having been to a GY!BE concert before I can guarantee you that their "performance" helps put their songs into context more. You're probably gonna get wet a couple of times.

Speaking of which, I will be going to see Swans on the 16th. I'm very excited since Gira is often very friendly with his fans, so I'm unbelievably giddy to meet the guy.
  11. DM

DM Ce soir, on va danser.
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnus

Yeah, since I'll be buying the album at the show anyway, I'll hold off on downloading it. Not being able to see them back in the day was something I have regretted for years, so I can't wait to remedy that. The following painting of them performing live has been my desktop background on multiple computers for years:

http://www.brainwashed.com/godspeed/images/godspeedpainting.jpg
  12. kalphiteman4

kalphiteman4

Seeing GYBE on the 14th and Flying Lotus on the 15th, possibly Converge/Torche/Kvelertak on the 16th as well. I can't really express my excitement. All three of those headliners' albums from this year are just incredible.

Oh, and that new Mountain Goats album is pretty great too.
  13. Incon

Incon

14. Deschain

Deschain

i saw listen to the album a few times first.

it will not detract at all from the performance, conversely being familiar with the music just adds that much more exhilaration.

and if they play Behemoth, let us know how it is.:naughty:
    i'm seeing them 10/20, and i've been told bring earplugs if you don't fancy permanent hearing loss.

super stoked.

seeing this 11/8, hell yes.
  15. Texas Cloverleaf

Texas Cloverleaf meh
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Fairly certain its not to the taste of most of you, but just bought the new Billy Talent Album, Dead Silence.

[​IMG]

Really enjoying it, much different sounds fromt heir previous albums, and much more of a complete album, the songs mesh together well. Definite recommend if you like the band or the alt/punk genre.
  16. Krul

Krul

tossing up whether I want to see gy!be next feb when they come to Aus, but tickets are $75.

such a dilemma at hand
  17. Deschain

Deschain

you will always regret it if you don't go.
  18. Zoro

Zoro

living in a smaller city in germany sucks when it comes to concerts
  19. Vintage Books

Vintage Books

Always. Live music is the best thing to spend your money on, anyway
  20. Manafii101

Manafii101

Just found an electronic house/dance duo called Lemaitre who sound a lot like daft punk, but fresher. The synths sound so ^.^ and it's really happy, bright music.
    They released an EP earlier this year, I'd highly recommend listening.

Lemaitre - Splitting colors
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLbTj7fFU1U&feature=related
  21. More Cowbell

More Cowbell

I found Lemaitre a while ago on the YouTube channel MrSuicideSheep, it's pretty great indeed.
  22. cant say

cant say no really I cant
    is a Pre-Contributor

Here in Aus this guy Flume has been on the rise lately. I've been listening to him for a while now. I remember the first time I saw him live was in a lounge bar with just me and my 2 mates and that was it. Now he pulls in hundreds of people to his gigs. He just dropped his first album teaser. It's mint!

[youtube]p3C2W0aK9EU[/youtube]
  23. ala

ala
    is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Winner

HALP none of my friends like my music v_v

I haven't seen a live band in 3 years...I want to die ;-;

In other news been listening to Emery a bit lately, kinda excited for their new album, anyone listen to it yet?
  24. More Cowbell

More Cowbell

Madeon is doing a European tour, and a bunch of friends and I got tickets for his show in Amsterdam, really excited to see if he also delivers on-stage.
  25. Living So Zambian

Living So Zambian formerly VN.
    is an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderator

The Heist.

Need I say more?

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)