2012 music

Ugh looking at this thread and still yet not have hearing the full swans/grizzly bear album makes me feel ashamed :(. I haven't listened a ton to new music lately - I blame part of this on (re?)discovering Yo La Tengo and becoming obsessed with them - speaking of which they have an album coming out in January and I couldn't be any more excited.

Beach House's Bloom is absolutely stunning and definitely my favorite. It's funny because Teen Dream really didn't impress me a ton and they're similar but I guess the songs are just better crafted and the album more cohesive and involving. A couple other ones I liked a lot (again lots I haven't listened to yet that seems promising...)

Cloud Nothings - Attack on Memory (everything Steve Albini touches is gold)
Fiona Apple - Idler Wheel (lol jail time)
Magnetic Fields - Love at the Bottom of the Ocean (heavily underrated)
Animal Collective - Centipede HZ (didn't like them a ton before this came out)
Azealia Banks - 1991 EP (excellent 4 song collection)
Wild Nothing - Nocturne (loving this dream pop stuff lol)
Frank Ocean - Channel Orange (a little overrated but this guy's pretty cool)

Yea this is my first post in who knows how long and no one cares but w/e lol

Found a leak of Ellie Goulding's new album Halcyon, and it's a very pleasant listen, for me at least. I probably liked her first album Bright Lights a bit more than I should, and while this rather different, it's still a good collection of pop songs with some electronic stuff mixed in. Ellie is easily one of the best singers out there right now.

Carl

or Varl
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
new tame impala good if you like rehashed psych rock

psych rock is one of my favorite rocks so i love it

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
I'm seeing GY!BE on the 15th, I cannot fucking wait. I don't even want to hear the album before that, I want to hear it all for the first time live. Opinions?

His Eminence Lord Poppington II

proverb:the fish who eats most dies still too
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
for a band like GY!BE i would recommend going in having not listened to anything, for a band like them the immersion and experience can only be amplified.

not like you should listen beforehand to sing along or anything lol

I'm seeing GY!BE on the 15th, I cannot fucking wait. I don't even want to hear the album before that, I want to hear it all for the first time live. Opinions?
Ughhhhhh you bastard. They don't have any tours in Florida and I won't be in Texas when they do tour there. Maybe they'll add some more dates but it's Godspeed and I highly doubt it. Anyways, you could go either way with listening to the songs or not. Whatever choice you make your brain is still going to explode. Having been to a GY!BE concert before I can guarantee you that their "performance" helps put their songs into context more. You're probably gonna get wet a couple of times.

Speaking of which, I will be going to see Swans on the 16th. I'm very excited since Gira is often very friendly with his fans, so I'm unbelievably giddy to meet the guy.

Seeing GYBE on the 14th and Flying Lotus on the 15th, possibly Converge/Torche/Kvelertak on the 16th as well. I can't really express my excitement. All three of those headliners' albums from this year are just incredible.

Oh, and that new Mountain Goats album is pretty great too.

i saw listen to the album a few times first.

it will not detract at all from the performance, conversely being familiar with the music just adds that much more exhilaration.

and if they play Behemoth, let us know how it is.:naughty:
U

Speaking of which, I will be going to see Swans on the 16th. I'm very excited since Gira is often very friendly with his fans, so I'm unbelievably giddy to meet the guy.
i'm seeing them 10/20, and i've been told bring earplugs if you don't fancy permanent hearing loss.

super stoked.

Converge/Torche/Kvelertak
seeing this 11/8, hell yes.

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Fairly certain its not to the taste of most of you, but just bought the new Billy Talent Album, Dead Silence.

Really enjoying it, much different sounds fromt heir previous albums, and much more of a complete album, the songs mesh together well. Definite recommend if you like the band or the alt/punk genre.

tossing up whether I want to see gy!be next feb when they come to Aus, but tickets are $75.

such a dilemma at hand

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Here in Aus this guy Flume has been on the rise lately. I've been listening to him for a while now. I remember the first time I saw him live was in a lounge bar with just me and my 2 mates and that was it. Now he pulls in hundreds of people to his gigs. He just dropped his first album teaser. It's mint!

[youtube]p3C2W0aK9EU[/youtube]

alamaster

hello
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Always. Live music is the best thing to spend your money on, anyway
HALP none of my friends like my music v_v

I haven't seen a live band in 3 years...I want to die ;-;

In other news been listening to Emery a bit lately, kinda excited for their new album, anyone listen to it yet?

Madeon is doing a European tour, and a bunch of friends and I got tickets for his show in Amsterdam, really excited to see if he also delivers on-stage.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)