2012 USA Election Thread: Obama projected winner

Who are you going to vote for in the 2012 Election?

• Barack Obama

Votes: 221 54.8%
  • Ron Paul

Votes: 44 10.9%
  • Mitt Romney

Votes: 37 9.2%
  • Jill Stein

Votes: 85 21.1%
  • Vermin Supreme

Votes: 11 2.7%
  • Gary Johnson

Votes: 5 1.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
this man is on the science committee in the house

yeah don't vote Republican please
Wow, I didn't know all Republicans were extremist Christians who sought to end science. I now know that science is much safer under an administration responsible for scientific advancements such as cutting NASA's funding as well as the entire Constellation program.

Vice presidential debate last night.
Romney overtaking if not on equal footing with Obama nationally and in nearly every swing state since his debate last week.
Election less than a month away and the next presidential debate is Tuesday
Biden stopped the haemorrhaging for Obama last night, and Obama can go offensive on Tuesday without being painted as an "angry black man" which is what his first debate performance was almost certainly trying to avoid -- you can imagine the outcome if Obama had responded to Romney's lying through his teeth in the first debate like Biden did to Ryan last night, he would've lost the entire white female vote in 30 seconds flat.

Wow, I didn't know all Republicans were extremist Christians who sought to end science. I now know that science is much safer under an administration responsible for scientific advancements such as cutting NASA's funding as well as the entire Constellation program.
At least they aren't banning stem cell research (in government departments) or trying to have intelligent design taught as though it's a reasonable opposing scientific theory to evolution.

Our votes don't count. I didn't register. Ron Paul is the only real politician that stands for anything. The others are puppets of an evil shadow government, empowered by the Federal Reserve. We haven't had a real president since JFK. The two party mentality is slavery. Lesser of two evils still leads to evil. No matter which ones we will still have a fundamentally flawed economic system, we'll still be a war hungry empire, molesting your mother wife and children every time you go to the airport, feeding you cancer causing genetically modified food, putting fluoride in your water.

Personally I don't give a fuck who wins in the end, because it's very likely the most of their agendas will not be fulfilled in four years. Obama is too forgiving and willing to hit a compromise, that's why our Medicare is fucked up beyond belief. When a president is Democratic / Semi-Bipartisan and your house and senate are predominantly Republican nothing Democratically oriented will get done. That's why a lot of Obama's house speeches were oriented to a more conservative approach, and that's why our economy has sat rather stagnant over the last 3 years. We are still living in a country where our banks and mortgage companies have a deregulated business system, same shit since Reagan went to office. That's the primary reason why the economy tanked.

First thing Obama should've done was re-instate the regulations that were in place pre-reagan era, not try and pass the new healthcare law. Too late for that shit so let's move to 2012-2016...

Romney is just going to continue the Bush Era agenda that tanked the economy in the first place.

If we really want to fix the issues with the economy as it is now we need to set the old regulations back in place, and we need to stop those damn fucking tax cuts for everyone. I know, I know, political experts say that lowering taxes on the rich can help the economy in general. They're flat out fucking lying to you. Tax cuts can only work when the budget is balanced (which discounting clinton hasn't been done since JFK), when the budget isn't balanced it creates even more of a deficit and only works for a short amount of time until everything starts to collapse due to lack of funding. This is especially the case when there's major investments being made during that time of the tax cuts (think Reagan's Star Wars Program and the late Bush-era bailouts). We need to effectively balance the budget through cutting taxes to our military, withdrawing from our foreign affairs, and actually taxing people properly instead of using these bullshit means in order to attempt to get votes. Honestly the only thing I get out of the President now is that they're a limited figure and they cannot do anything that they say they're setting out to do, thanks to the house having too much power.

Now for me being my cynical self. It's definitely not happening in the near future, America is fucked, we should declare bankruptcy like Greece and Spain are doing, and we should gather all the politicians up into a corner and shoot them. Really the only thing that's going to come out of this situation and the current talks of solution is absolutely nothing. Who knows maybe we the people will grow a pair and start another civil war (again doubtful since less than 1/3rd of the population eligible votes or even legitimately pays attention to this shit).

[youtube]ZBy3MbP4WDo[/youtube]

._.

this man is on the science committee in the house

yeah don't vote Republican please
ZOMG THIS MAN HAS A DIFFERENT WOLRDVIEW THAN ME DON'T VOTE FOR HIM COMPLETELY FORGET ALL OF THE CLEARLY MORE IMPORTANT ISSUES BECAUSE WHAT I BELIEVE IS THE ORIGIN OF THE UNIVERSE IS CLEARLY MORE IMPORTANT THAN OUR UNEMPLOYMENT, CRAP FOR CRAP FOREIGN POLICY, AND $16 TRILLION IN DEBT. HEAVEN FORBID SOMEONE WHO DOESN'T BELIEVE IN EVOLUTION WHO HAS SOME SOLUTIONS COULD GET IN AND MAKE THE SITUATION A LITTLE BETTER, BECAUSE HE DOESN'T BELIEVE IN EVOLUTION!!!!!!!!one11111!

You all are going to be sorely disappointed when "47%" becomes a non issue or bites Obama in the butt.

macle

sup geodudes
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
ZOMG THIS MAN HAS A DIFFERENT WOLRDVIEW THAN ME DON'T VOTE FOR HIM COMPLETELY FORGET ALL OF THE CLEARLY MORE IMPORTANT ISSUES BECAUSE WHAT I BELIEVE IS THE ORIGIN OF THE UNIVERSE IS CLEARLY MORE IMPORTANT THAN OUR UNEMPLOYMENT, CRAP FOR CRAP FOREIGN POLICY, AND $16 TRILLION IN DEBT. HEAVEN FORBID SOMEONE WHO DOESN'T BELIEVE IN EVOLUTION WHO HAS SOME SOLUTIONS COULD GET IN AND MAKE THE SITUATION A LITTLE BETTER, BECAUSE HE DOESN'T BELIEVE IN EVOLUTION!!!!!!!!one11111!

You all are going to be sorely disappointed when "47%" becomes a non issue or bites Obama in the butt.
he's not on the commitees for foreign affairs, budget, or financial services. He's on the science, space, and technology committee. His job is science and he doesn't believe in science.......

Stratos

Banned deucer.
he's not on the commitees for foreign affairs, budget, or financial services. He's on the science, space, and technology committee. His job is science and he doesn't believe in science.......
actually he doesn't believe in evolution, which doesn't mean not believing in science, because believe it or not whether the universe appeared in a poof or a bang doesn't change whether atoms split releasing energy

I watched the vice-presidential debate the other day, and I have to say, I pretty much most completely agree with Biden. Even his hilarious interruptions and outbursts were pretty much spot on with what I thought.

The only thing I disagreed with him about is the course of the several wars we are in, I do think it is a bit naive to place a strict deadline on a war.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
[youtube]dX_1B0w7Hzc[/youtube]

I think I stopped taking the race seriously a while ago. I won't be old enough to vote for a while so w/e.

Jorgen

World's Strongest Fairy
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
People were saying that Biden came off as a dick during the Veep debate. I think he came off as extremely energetic and was just what the campaign needed to invigorate the younger voters watching.

Seriously it's like a reversal of '08. Obama was the new guy in town getting the young voters out there, and Biden was brought along because his "experience" would shore up that weakness with the swing voters. This time it's Obama who's tempering expectations and watered down in an attempt to make the broad appeal, then Biden gets all excited during the debate to try and make sure those young folk who voted in '08 go back out in '12.

Anyway it'd honestly take a miracle or a huge national crisis between now and the election for Romney to win. I don't care that the polls say they're even, polls are fickle. I care about history, which is not. History says that, unless there's a third candidate like Teddy Roosevelt or Ross Perot splitting the vote, the incumbent will almost certainly win unless some tangible, awful thing happened during his tenure (Hoover and the Great Depression, Carter and the Iranian Hostage Crisis).

For one: the poster made a plea to voters not to vote Republican because one man on the Science committee (Yes, I knew he was on the science committee, thanks for reminding me though).

Two: Everyone believes in science. Don't give me that crap. A certain worldview on the origins of the universe does not disqualify anyone in "believing in science" and should never play in the role of deciding our leaders (especially in a nation whose first rights given to the people is the prohibition of congress denying the free practice of different faiths). There are a lot more important issues like the debt and 19% unemployment than whatever the heck someone believes in.

actually he doesn't believe in evolution, which doesn't mean not believing in science, because believe it or not whether the universe appeared in a poof or a bang doesn't change whether atoms split releasing energy
Evolution is a large and important scientific theory, not believing in it is indicative of severe scientific ignorance even if it does not directly relate to many scientific issues. Would you trust someone who doesn't believe that world war 2 happened to talk about history?

For one: the poster made a plea to voters not to vote Republican because one man on the Science committee (Yes, I knew he was on the science committee, thanks for reminding me though).

Two: Everyone believes in science. Don't give me that crap. A certain worldview on the origins of the universe does not disqualify anyone in "believing in science" and should never play in the role of deciding our leaders (especially in a nation whose first rights given to the people is the prohibition of congress denying the free practice of different faiths). There are a lot more important issues like the debt and 19% unemployment than whatever the heck someone believes in.
yeah but we're talking about this one now. this forum is not going to solve any world problems, or unemployment, any time soon so i don't really see the point of the "its unimportant" argument. its a government committee. in theory, they should be helpful to the nation. its on science. yes he has the right to believe wateva the fok he wants but he shouldn't be on that committee then? this is where your "freedom" is clashing with your common sense. also if you read up on him you'd see that he is a lot more fundamentalist and a lot more science denying than you seem to imply

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
Being a fundamentalist Christian in and of itself does not exclude anyone from being an objective scientist or reasonable or rational. Plenty of people who believe the words of the Bible have contributed to science in important ways. My grandpa saw World War 2. Did your grandpa witness the big bang? You cannot compare the two. Why should that man have to conform to every single last belief commonly agreed upon by the scientific community in order to serve that committee?

Being a fundamentalist Christian in and of itself does not exclude anyone from being an objective scientist or reasonable or rational. Plenty of people who believe the words of the Bible have contributed to science in important ways. My grandpa saw World War 2. Did your grandpa witness the big bang? You cannot compare the two. Why should that man have to conform to every single last belief commonly agreed upon by the scientific community in order to serve that committee?
"conforming" is such a red herring. "beliefs" in the scientific community are tested and peer reviewed extensively, so to not "believe" in them is essentially saying that you disagree with the evidence that has been put forth by your peers, that has also been tested and re-tested many times as well as having peers in the scientific community confirm the validity of said testings. to go against any of it would take some serious justification, and to go against so much of it as many republicans choose to do is absurd. the fact that these people are elected officials baffles me and makes me lose what little faith I ever had in the political system in the US.

symphonyx64

Private messages are the best way to reach me
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Anyway it'd honestly take a miracle or a huge national crisis between now and the election for Romney to win.
LOL alright. I believe a huge national crisis would keep Obama in for 4 more years anyways. This election is wide open and momentum is behind Romney right now. There is no denying that.

Being a fundamentalist Christian in and of itself does not exclude anyone from being an objective scientist
what?

that is patently false. if, as a scientist, you gather any sort of evidence that is at odds with your fundamentalist beliefs, you are forced to abandon one or the other. granted, the vast majority of fields will never lead you to such a situation, but to say that you can still be 'objective' is disingenuous, because you can't.

"conforming" is such a red herring. "beliefs" in the scientific community are tested and peer reviewed extensively, so to not "believe" in them is essentially saying that you disagree with the evidence that has been put forth by your peers, that has also been tested and re-tested many times as well as having peers in the scientific community confirm the validity of said testings. to go against any of it would take some serious justification, and to go against so much of it as many republicans choose to do is absurd. the fact that these people are elected officials baffles me and makes me lose what little faith I ever had in the political system in the US.
This. If you're going to go against scientific consensus, you had better have a damn good reason. The bible does not count as justification, as it's not testable, peer-reviewed, or adaptive to new information.

Being a fundamentalist Christian in and of itself does not exclude anyone from being an objective scientist or reasonable or rational.
Yes, it does, as the bible is factually incorrect in multiple circumstances. Take Noah's flood - Chinese history stretches back around 5000 years, and there's absolutely no account of a massive extinction by flood. If you're a fundamentalist Christian assessing this knowledge, you have to either admit that the Bible is wrong or ignore an entire civilization's testimony.

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
If believing the Bible, as that man does, excludes him from being objective, and reasonable, then how have so many Christians contributed to various branches of science throughout history?

jc104

Humblest person ever
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
You don't have to be objective or rational to contribute (while I would definitely admit that you can be reasonable). Being a little bit biased doesn't have to be an enormous problem. However, in the case of a number of republicans, they are clearly none of the above. That's what matters. It's just an indication of how completely insane some of them are. Yes, these aren't the most important issues, but they're also mostly wrong when it comes to the important issues too. Some of them appear to be living in an alternate world where facts don't mean anything.

Saying that, I dislike the majority of the democratic party too. American politics is very heavily right-leaning; if obama were running in this country, I'm sure he would be considered the most right wing of all reasonable candidates. The republican party would be considered extremists for sure.

If believing the Bible, as that man does, excludes him from being objective, and reasonable, then how have so many Christians contributed to various branches of science throughout history?
Did you know that Albert Einstein kept, in every formula he derived, a constant to keep the universe from expanding. Despite the fact that all of the evidence he derived indicated that the universe expanded, he insisted that it isn't true, for religious reasons. It was only towards the end of his life that it was conclusively proved that the universe is expanding, and his equations fixed. Religion didn't contribute to Einstein's discoveries, but it did hold him back from finding new facts, because he decided to believe the bible as a fact.

(Full disclosure, though I'd prefer if it didn't sidetrack the discussion: I'm all for religion impacting someone's morals, but taking a 1000 year old book as fact is pushing it my opinion)

Of course, everyone knows that Galileo was imprisoned because the bible says the sun rotates around the earth. Similarly, Bill Nye was booed off stage when he talked about evolution and mentioned it went against the bible.

Evolution is more or less proven. Everyone educated and rational acknowledges the facts that indicate its proof. I'm not worried about the guy being a christian as much as I am him putting a 1000 year old text over cold hard facts. That's whats disturbing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)