2013/2014 Soccer/Football Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

HBK

Subtlety is my middle name
Not their best performance, but it got the job done. I was happy to see Ba start and he repayed the manager's faith in him by scoring the winner. Salah was amazing tonight and really should have scored.

Edit: Abramovich places too much emphasis on results and silverware. It's not possible for any manager to deliver the kind of football Abramovich craves knowing that he'll be sacked if he fails to win anything.

This game basically sums up chelsea this season.
The better team but can't put that bloody ball between the opposition sticks.

Nosferalto If you are going to remain as ignorant as you have been please just keep it to yourself and save this thread from bullshit.

Nosferalto If you are going to remain as ignorant as you have been please just keep it to yourself and save this thread from bullshit.
Did you enjoy the match against 10 men Swansea?

It's well known that Roman wants to win trophies and win them playing good football. That is why he has been stocking up on creative players that Chelsea did not have in Mourinho's first stay at Chelsea. Also why he really wanted Guardiola.

You have to be able to take criticism to stay credible. You can't realize how much of an idiot you sound like when you declare yourself a Chelsea fan and defend them blindly all the time. This is the football thread, not the Chelsea thread. Most people on this site despise Chelsea if you look a few pages back. You and your Nov 2012 join date are very much welcome to leave the site altogether. At least Superscizor, Stallion and HBK are able to take criticism of Chelsea FC.

it's really sad that Chelsea spend so much money on creative players yet still play the way they do. I can understand Roman Abramovic's frustrations.
No offense mate, I like most of your posts but if you believe that playing beautiful football is more important than winning games, you could end up like Arsenal.
Rather playing 'boring' football and win, than play tiki taka like Arsenal and win fuck all.

Anyway, THIS picture is exactly what this season has been to us.

Yeah, quite a scrappy win, but a win that keeps us in the title race(although if we play at Anfield like we did today...)
It's in these sort of games that I miss Mata the most; he could easily unlock these defenses

Yeah, quite a scrappy win, but a win that keeps us in the title race(although if we play at Anfield like we did today...)
It's in these sort of games that I miss Mata the most; he could easily unlock these defenses
I thought Oscar was good to be fair, especially with his passing

Winning > playing good football

But there is a way to balance both and Salah is a step in the right direction. He brings something different to this Chelsea squad.

Edit: btw the picture illustrates exactly why I fear Chelsea coming to Anfield. If Maureen goes defensive and plays on the counter attack, we will struggle.

Did you enjoy the match against 10 men Swansea?

It's well known that Roman wants to win trophies and win them playing good football. That is why he has been stocking up on creative players that Chelsea did not have in Mourinho's first stay at Chelsea. Also why he really wanted Guardiola.

You have to be able to take criticism to stay credible. You can't realize how much of an idiot you sound like when you declare yourself a Chelsea fan and defend them blindly all the time. This is the football thread, not the Chelsea thread. Most people on this site despise Chelsea if you look a few pages back. You and your Nov 2012 join date are very much welcome to leave the site altogether. At least Superscizor, Stallion and HBK are able to take criticism of Chelsea FC.
1. Of course I enjoyed it. This match should of finished with 5 or 6 goals, but we don't have lewandowski or Suarez so it's difficult to run up the score.

2. Can you define good football for me? I never knew their was a set way of playing this sport. Interesting!

3. You want to criticise Chelsea? Go ahead. You could at least try and be creative/clever with it otherwise I think it's best to just keep it to yourself. Say Chelsea 'football' is 'boring' is outdated and inaccurate at this point. You say we are defensive yet we have the 3rd most goals in the league(that in itself is an accomplishment with our strikers).

4. I am guessing you think because you joined this site before me you are entitled to write bullshit in this thread. I don't get it.

Anyways you won't change your mind and I want to start watching Bates Motel, so Have a nice day.

good football implies it should be entertaining and free flowing. The ball should be moved with pace and purpose and players have to show movement off the ball.

All I was saying is that despite the fact that Roman has already won PL titles, FA and Carling cups as well as a CL title, for his investment, he wants to do it again but with different and more attacking tactics. It's awesome scraping through and winning the CL with Di Matteo but it's different when you do it like Bayern did it with Jupp Heynckes completely destroying the opponent and beating Barca 7-0 on aggregate. Roman is an ambitious man and he will always want more and at this point, the only way to do more with Chelsea is to re-win all of those title using attacking strategies.

Anyways you won't change your mind and I want to start watching Bates Motel, so Have a nice day.
I can change my mind but your initial response was not very convincing:

Strong logic.

Before anything else, I wanna say chapeau Liverpool. Regardless of how you feel about this game, they played every game I watched (and they were the team I watched the most this EPL season because of ESPN's love for Luis) with an offensive mindset whether they were at home or away, and that's always something to recognize. Even if Mou's magic gives us a win on the game at Anfield and Liverpool doesn't end up winning this, I still wanna tip my hat at Rodgers and the players. So yea, chapeau Liverpool, I've enjoyed most of the games I watched of you guys and that's something that doesn't happen very often.

I wanted the reds to win today because a tie still left City with the best chances, and after the first half I thought that was gonna be easier. This result, why prolly the best for us, still doesn't grant us the ability to rely only on ourselves which sucks a bit—in projection, we can reach 87 points if we win every game including the Anfield one, which I highly doubt, while City can get to 88. Still, I wouldn't say having to rely only on ourselves was that good considering our away score. At least we're playing better than in previous seasons, but our lack of 'punch' in the last meters has been our doom.

Also, did anyone here watch the Samp - Inter game? It clashed with the Liverpool one but I could still watch a few things. My god the media made a really big deal about the issue between Maxi Lopez and Icardi (and I'm a journalism student). It's hard to enjoy a football game when the attention is focused on the players' private life...

im nearly as scared of crystal palce as i am with Chelsea i mean, theyve beaten some good clubs this season, hopefully we can win all 4. 14 in a row is hard but i believe we can do it! I thought we had it when we went 2 uo vs city, then i went nuts when they equalised, but couthinos goal was superb and when we started playing our football again we deserved the win

phil

could do worse
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm not really one for foreign football but I've been interested in the Spanish title race, Atletico being 3 points clear with 5 games left, but potentially without Costa for the rest of the season. Still title is Atletico's to lose.

Henderson suspended is a very big boost for us. He is Liverpool's engine really and Gerrard doesn't have the legs and Allen, while a good player imo, probably won't be able to handle Matic/Ramires + Luiz.

Is Sturridge going to be back for the game against us, by the way?

Henderson suspended is a very big boost for us. He is Liverpool's engine really and Gerrard doesn't have the legs and Allen, while a good player imo, probably won't be able to handle Matic/Ramires + Luiz.

Allen played very well yesterday and Henderson had a poor game. If Brendan wants to play the same formation he dud yesterday he will probably just slot in Allen where Henderson was

HBK

Subtlety is my middle name

Yeah, Henderson's absence will really help. I think that Sturridge will recover in time to face us. What about Toure ? I hope that he doesn't recover until after two games at the very least. It'll be a big blow to City, and we need to them to lose one game to win the title (assuming that we beat Liverpool and win the rest of our games).

Allen played very well yesterday and Henderson had a poor game. If Brendan wants to play the same formation he dud yesterday he will probably just slot in Allen where Henderson was
Actually I thought Henderson was good in the match yesterday. His job was to stay close to Toure and make it difficult for him to influence the game.

If you want to criticise anyone in this game then Kompany comes to mind. It's remarkable how he is seen as one of the best cbs in the game still given how average he has been this season. He was responsible for every goal conceded yesterday. If demichelis made any one of those mistakes the media and I am certain people in this thread would of crucify him. Just look at what happen in the 1st leg against City. Demichelis played really well dealing with messi as good as you could hope for but then kompany took a couple of steps back played messi onside and the rest is history.

Also, did anyone here watch the Samp - Inter game? It clashed with the Liverpool one but I could still watch a few things. My god the media made a really big deal about the issue between Maxi Lopez and Icardi (and I'm a journalism student). It's hard to enjoy a football game when the attention is focused on the players' private life...
Completely agree. Just a waste of time that could be used elsewhere. It was a decent game and Icardi has been playing well recently. I am not surprised though. The media will always do these sort of things and it won't change unless the demand for these articles decrease.

Suarez and Evra comes to mind as well as Terry and Wayne Bridge.

I read an article regarding the game( http://www.theguardian.com/football...-lopez-sampdoria-wanda-derby-inter?CMP=twt_gu) and Icardi does seem like a asshole but I really hope this is the last time I see something like this in my news feed(lol!).

Last edited:
Hull City is going to wreck us in the final. They play so much more free than us and can really expose a defense.

Plus every time I think of Hull City I remember them being picks each time we match up with them. Geovanni the prick.

The jokes and mocking will surely continue.

Martins brought his Newcastle voodoo to the Final a few years back, and now Hull City as a whole will bring back the annoyance and role of playing spoiler. 3-1 loss surely.

League talk...I'm too tired for that shit. 5th it is.

Rosicky, Ozil, Koscielny, Diaby and KING BENDTNER!!! are back in training. The big guns are back, no need to worry guise B-) just waiting for Wilshere and Walcott now.

That's the type of bullshit that is somehow allowed. I don't get it. You see it in S. America too in lower leagues, where fans or subs can just cheat and the referee can't give the goal cos it didn't go in. There should be a way to punish this sort of thing, penalty + long bans for the offending player/fan + indirect free-kick to restart the play. Just giving an indirect free-kick only restarts the play and the other team has won out this way.

Actually I thought Henderson was good in the match yesterday. His job was to stay close to Toure and make it difficult for him to influence the game.

If you want to criticise anyone in this game then Kompany comes to mind. It's remarkable how he is seen as one of the best cbs in the game still given how average he has been this season. He was responsible for every goal conceded yesterday. If demichelis made any one of those mistakes the media and I am certain people in this thread would of crucify him. Just look at what happen in the 1st leg against City. Demichelis played really well dealing with messi as good as you could hope for but then kompany took a couple of steps back played messi onside and the rest is history.

Completely agree. Just a waste of time that could be used elsewhere. It was a decent game and Icardi has been playing well recently. I am not surprised though. The media will always do these sort of things and it won't change unless the demand for these articles decrease.

Suarez and Evra comes to mind as well as Terry and Wayne Bridge.

I read an article regarding the game( http://www.theguardian.com/football...-lopez-sampdoria-wanda-derby-inter?CMP=twt_gu) and Icardi does seem like a asshole but I really hope this is the last time I see something like this in my news feed(lol!).
Kompany was injured but even so he played poorly. Thank god Gerrard and Suarez didn't get booked, that along with Henderson and we would probably have been screwed against Chelsea before it started. Hopefully Everton can do us a favour and beat man city putting us in a great position if we beat ye and Norwich

destinyunknown

Banned deucer.
I'm not really one for foreign football but I've been interested in the Spanish title race, Atletico being 3 points clear with 5 games left, but potentially without Costa for the rest of the season. Still title is Atletico's to lose.
As far as I know, Costa should be able to play next week, his last injury is just a cut. And yeah you're right, Atletico should win the title unless they screw things up. They still have to play 3 difficult away games (Levante, Valencia and Barcelona) but none of those teams cares about the league this season anymore so it shouldn't be that difficult for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)