2013 International Challenge (OVER!)

This is my first time doing a challenge like this. My team was an old one from my Pearl game. I have really not been into battling since B/W came out.

I have been about 50/50 wins and losses.

I don't want to jump out and say people are beating me because they are using hacks, but there are a lot of shiny Pokémon, Legendary shiny.

Most of my Pokémon are built to be fast, my Salamence and Metagross are being outclassed by other Salamence and Metagross, unless I am just losing the speed tie every time. I am pretty sure the opponent is not using a Choice Scarf, since they are changing moves.

I see mention of hacks in other post, so I am assuming I am not far off with my thoughts.

Again I do have a pretty crappy team. I have been running Salamence, Metagross, Swampert, Lanturn, Blissey, and Miltank.

Which like I said this is my first time, so I found my Stealth Rock Swampert is pretty useless. I still find it laughable that in a Masters division, people still use Electric attacks on a Lanturn. I brought the wrong Miltank though, Scrappy with Body Slam, but it also has Ice Beam over Curse. Nice watching her paralyze everyone though hehe.

Ummm... I may be stupid for not knowing this but, I just had someone with a ranking of 1890 D/C on me. Do I get penalized? Do I get the win? Does nothing happen? Can someone please tell me.

Ummm... I may be stupid for not knowing this but, I just had someone with a ranking of 1890 D/C on me. Do I get penalized? Do I get the win? Does nothing happen? Can someone please tell me.
Nobody gets the win, both players get penalized. It adds to the D/C count of both players, except the player who actually quit will be kicked of wifi for an hour. In other words, no one gets any points.

Nobody gets the win, both players get penalized. It adds to the D/C count of both players, except the player who actually quit will be kicked of wifi for an hour. In other words, no one gets any points.
That's a shame I get penalized. I thought they fixed the system for BW2... And a person with 1890. Not much hax even happened. Does anyone know how much I get penalized?

That's a shame I get penalized. I thought they fixed the system for BW2... And a person with 1890. Not much hax even happened. Does anyone know how much I get penalized?
D/C count. I forget the exact ratio, but you get kicked if your D/Cs are too high, that's it. So one D/C isn't bad, but a whole bunch can get you out of rankings. You have no need to worry unless your D/C count is higher than 10; if it is, then you better have a couple dozen battles finished so that it doesn't have as big an impact on the ratio.

Or you could just not care about ranking and use this as a good testing ground. If you have no CP yet, what you might get here won't matter unless you get first or second place.

D/C count. I forget the exact ratio, but you get kicked if your D/Cs are too high, that's it. So one D/C isn't bad, but a whole bunch can get you out of rankings. You have no need to worry unless your D/C count is higher than 10; if it is, then you better have a couple dozen battles finished so that it doesn't have as big an impact on the ratio.

Or you could just not care about ranking and use this as a good testing ground. If you have no CP yet, what you might get here won't matter unless you get first or second place.
So far I'm 8-0-1. I just started today, so that's not to bad. Thanks for the help, I thought it took like 100 pts. off your ranking.

D/C's are completely rampant this tournament as it stands I've had like 6 matches where I was winning that ended up in a D/C and 2 games where they ran during the team preview. It makes these matches incredibly frustrating because for every D/C that comes you're having to play another 5 matches or so to even out the percentage and there simply aren't enough games coming. (I've heard disqualification is roughly 20% of your matches ending in D/C.) There are times I'm searching for opponents for god knows how long and the real kicker is a single loss rapes you of easily 5 matches worth of ranking. So ideally for a decent legit 1800+ ranking you need to be looking at playing 50+ish matches whilst keeping your losses around 5 or under in order to mitigate the D/C rates.

Oh and also how the fuck are they managing to run a online tournament without a illegal Pokemon check? I've actually run into the likes of Moxie Metagross and Chlorophyll Volcarona. This kind of basic crap shouldn't even be getting past a simple ability/legal move check.

D/C's are completely rampant this tournament as it stands I've had like 6 matches where I was winning that ended up in a D/C and 2 games where they ran during the team preview. It makes these matches incredibly frustrating because for every D/C that comes you're having to play another 5 matches or so to even out the percentage and there simply aren't enough games coming. (I've heard disqualification is roughly 20% of your matches ending in D/C.) There are times I'm searching for opponents for god knows how long and the real kicker is a single loss rapes you of easily 5 matches worth of ranking. So ideally for a decent legit 1800+ ranking you need to be looking at playing 50+ish matches whilst keeping your losses around 5 or under in order to mitigate the D/C rates.

Oh and also how the fuck are they managing to run a online tournament without a illegal Pokemon check? I've actually run into the likes of Moxie Metagross and Chlorophyll Volcarona. This kind of basic crap shouldn't even be getting past a simple ability/legal move check.
Pokemon better make the online stuff better for X&Y. 1 hour ban should be for D/C on regular random matchup, non rated. Rated should be 1 day. Competitions should be 2 days, and 3 dc's from you should mean you get kicked. And punishing those who don't D/C needs to change. Well other than that 1 DC, I have 9 straight so so far, nothing too bad.

Forgive me if this should be in VGC Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer.

I assume the VGC and a GBU Challenge are separate things. I could be wrong, like I said I have been out of any battling since B/W came out.

This may be a stupid question, but when an opponent's Pokémon comes into battle, what is the big star that comes out with it? I have seen a yellow star and a blue star and it makes the shiny Pokémon sound. The Pokémon are not shiny and I am pretty sure are not an N Pokémon. Unless I missed something with N Pokémon.

Thanks again. This GBU challenge has me actually wanting to start breeding and battling again.

Nexus

Forever the Recusant
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Forgive me if this should be in VGC Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer.

I assume the VGC and a GBU Challenge are separate things. I could be wrong, like I said I have been out of any battling since B/W came out.

This may be a stupid question, but when an opponent's Pokémon comes into battle, what is the big star that comes out with it? I have seen a yellow star and a blue star and it makes the shiny Pokémon sound. The Pokémon are not shiny and I am pretty sure are not an N Pokémon. Unless I missed something with N Pokémon.

Thanks again. This GBU challenge has me actually wanting to start breeding and battling again.
That star is from using the Pokemon in PokeStar Studios, this page has more information http://www.serebii.net/black2white2/pokestar.shtml

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Gonna end this on a pretty good note with exactly 1700 rating. Went 34-6-lost count of the DCs but probably like 20.
I don't want to jump out and say people are beating me because they are using hacks, but there are a lot of shiny Pokémon, Legendary shiny.

Most of my Pokémon are built to be fast, my Salamence and Metagross are being outclassed by other Salamence and Metagross, unless I am just losing the speed tie every time. I am pretty sure the opponent is not using a Choice Scarf, since they are changing moves.

I see mention of hacks in other post, so I am assuming I am not far off with my thoughts.
Do your Pokémon have perfect IVs/max EVs and +Speed natures? I haven't ever heard a confirmed case of someone using Pokémon with above max stats in a multiplayer battle before, even ones that don't have a hack check, so it's more likely something else is the explanation. That said, there still are a lot of hacks out there, but they're not quite that outrageous (I haven't seen any Encore+Beat Up Whimsicott or shiny DW starters recently, at least). Shiny Pokémon don't necessarily mean anything though (aside from ones that can't be shiny legally like the previously mentioned DW starters), especially for good players because a lot of them RNG their teams.

That star is from using the Pokemon in PokeStar Studios, this page has more information http://www.serebii.net/black2white2/pokestar.shtml
Thank you very much. I search all over google and nothing came up for that.

Gonna end this on a pretty good note with exactly 1700 rating. Went 34-6-lost count of the DCs but probably like 20.

Do your Pokémon have perfect IVs/max EVs and +Speed natures? I haven't ever heard a confirmed case of someone using Pokémon with above max stats in a multiplayer battle before, even ones that don't have a hack check, so it's more likely something else is the explanation. That said, there still are a lot of hacks out there, but they're not quite that outrageous (I haven't seen any Encore+Beat Up Whimsicott or shiny DW starters recently, at least). Shiny Pokémon don't necessarily mean anything though (aside from ones that can't be shiny legally like the previously mentioned DW starters), especially for good players because a lot of them RNG their teams.

My Salamence is Speed IV 31, Jolly Nature, and 252 EVs in Speed. Like I said I could be losing the stat tie.

My Metagross is 31 IV Speed, Adamant Nature, and 252 EVs in Speed if I remember correctly, so there is room for another Metagross to out speed him.

I did not mean every shiny was a hack, but to have a shiny with battle IVs and correct Nature, then you toss in some Dream World abilities and it makes you go hmm. I did see one shiny Light Metal Metagross, which from my understanding Dream World Pokémon cannot be shiny and the Metagross family cannot be bred with it's Dream World ability.

I have bred a few shiny Pokémon, but none ever had more then 1 or 2 IVs with a 31.

I have not done much breeding though with B/W/B2/W2 and I have not yet received the Shiny Charm in B2.

Which so far the shiny I have seen the most is Metagross, which memory of breeding Genderless Pokémon, IVs were a pain, although not impossible.

I did not mean every shiny was a hack, but to have a shiny with battle IVs and correct Nature, then you toss in some Dream World abilities and it makes you go hmm. I did see one shiny Light Metal Metagross, which from my understanding Dream World Pokémon cannot be shiny and the Metagross family cannot be bred with it's Dream World ability.

I have bred a few shiny Pokémon, but none ever had more then 1 or 2 IVs with a 31.

I have not done much breeding though with B/W/B2/W2 and I have not yet received the Shiny Charm in B2.

Which so far the shiny I have seen the most is Metagross, which memory of breeding Genderless Pokémon, IVs were a pain, although not impossible.
Outside of the shiny Light Metal (lol) Metagross, the rest could have been RNG'd. The abundance of shinies (due to RNG or hacking) is why I prefer to roll with the standard sprites instead of shinies even when I RNG my Pokemon.

froggy25

Bye RNGmon
is a Researcher Alumnus

So if my opponents D/C too much against me I get penalized ? The guys from TPCi who decided to use the D/C ratio are complete morons, seriously.

How can they give Championship Points through this joke of a tournament ? That's utterly random and unfair, but still they don't seem to give a s*** about the obvious issues.

So if my opponents D/C too much against me I get penalized ? The guys from TPCi who decided to use the D/C ratio are complete morons, seriously.
Tell me about it, I've pretty much learned that there is a much higher D/C rate against Korean/Japanese players, they just plain cheat and you get penalized in the process. Out of all the obvious ragequit D/C's I've had 70% are Japanese/Koreans, 20% are high rating players in general and 10% are other regions who don't fall into either category.

The only problem is due to the lack of VGC venues (and some just being abysmally advertised) there is no option for some but to take part in these joke of a tournament for a ranking.

hahaha, if you think that giving out CP is utterly stupid. The poor korean players have it tougher since this tournament IS their qualifier, so you can be a good player but the D/C can keep you out of the Korean Nationals.

@Cybertron: I believed so, anyway my mistake.

hahaha, if you think that giving out CP is utterly stupid. The poor japanese players have it tougher since this tournament IS their qualifier, so you can be a good player but the D/C can keep you out no the Japanese Nationals.
False, this tournament does not count for anything but practice for the Japanese. It is, however, the Korean qualifier.

False, this tournament does not count for anything but practice for the Japanese.
Which just amplifies the ridiculousness of it all when I have a 95% win rate and I'm somehow in severe danger of being disqualified again because nearly 30% of what were about to turn into wins are all counted as D/C's against me now.

I imagine I'm not the only one either...

Expert Evan

every battle has a smell!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

How can they give Championship Points through this joke of a tournament ? That's utterly random and unfair, but still they don't seem to give a s*** about the obvious issues.
Part of the problem stems from the fact nintendo doesn't have a dedicated server to keep track of whom would intentionally lose connection or not, just to assign whom faces whom and when the match is over it requires both to report together. I wish it were possible that if anyone did not lose connection that the server would be smart enough to know whom stayed on or not so it has no other choice than to penalize both players regardless.

After all we are participating in these events without any entry fees and so forth. I strongly agree this sucks and hopefully they will improve on this for the next generation of pokemon.

I have had so many disconnects it is not funny. I also believe more disconnects came from Japanese/Asian opponents.

Especially if their team was down to their last Pokémon.

With a challenge like this, why would you penalize anyone for a disconnect? Bad connection and disconnects can happen for a number of reasons. If the tournament was setup in a bracket style and one lose and you are done, I could see a penalty for a disconnect.

There were battles I knew I lost after the 1st round of action and I did not disconnect. There is a forfeit option.

Maybe it is the culture I grew up playing in. Which I know some laugh, but I started battling on PokéFarm.com, not .net.

26 battles (only 23 were recorded because the other 3 players were salty and DCed). Won 19, lost 3 due to crucial misses and the last loss was due to one obvious play I didn't counteract to, but should have :|

VGC community team is pretty solid after having used it in 3 Wi-Fi tournies so far. I can do stuff like - but not limited to - bluff Abomasnow being super-slow for the Trick Room I know my opponents know my Chandelure has, and surprise their ice-weak Pokemon who don't switch with a scarf Blizzard. :D Also having 2 fighting types has consistently proven to be super-helpful against others.

....Stone Edge still sucks though.

Braverius

snowls
is a Past SPL Champion
Pokemon better make the online stuff better for X&Y. 1 hour ban should be for D/C on regular random matchup, non rated. Rated should be 1 day. Competitions should be 2 days, and 3 dc's from you should mean you get kicked. And punishing those who don't D/C needs to change. Well other than that 1 DC, I have 9 straight so so far, nothing too bad.
So when someone DCs on you in the International Challenge, you're saying that you'd be okay with getting banned for an entire day? There is absolutely no way for them to tell who disconnected as this current system is based on a peer to peer connection that reports to a server rather than a system that runs through a server as a middle man. The best thing you can do is worry about getting practice from these.

On a side note, I ended up at 1905 with an 18% DC rate. Should end up rated. Day 1 and 2 sucked, Day 3 was magical.

Well, the D/C Fest is once again behind us, so now there's only one thing left to do. Talk about that one guy that quit all the time and that one weird team with all the Johto starters that somehow managed to beat your meta-team. Personally, I didn't play all that much in the tourney.

On a side note, I ended up at 1905 with an 18% DC rate. Should end up rated. Day 1 and 2 sucked, Day 3 was magical.
haha i had this exactly , i ended up 1913 with around 12 % and had an awesome Day 3 with like 20 Consecutive wins..i should be in unless TPCI doesnt screw me over :( :(

I don't even understand how the hell you guys get so many matches to begin with, most of day 2 there was like non-existant challengers it'd be like a couple of hours before a match showed all my playing had to come on day 1 and 3. Eitherway I'm so disqualified again, lost count at about W45-L6-DC25 throwing me into something like a mid 1700+ rating.

That isn't even fucking funny, only 2 of those DC's I think may have been genuine, 1 was the guy running the second he saw my trainer card and all the rest was when I was one move away from winning. So result is I win a ton of matches which ALL DC, have a bad streak of 2-3 losses with no wins to buffer in between because they all ran.

So yeah, 50% DC rate is simply unacceptable and I don't think I can ever bother with another Wifi VGC tournament again until Gen 6. This is a complete lottery.

I have had so many disconnects it is not funny. I also believe more disconnects came from Japanese/Asian opponents.
I'd agree, I can say with certainty that bulk of all DC's were from Korean/Japanese with the occasional Singapore players.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)