2013 Winter Friendly

Date: From 00:00 UTC, Friday, February 15, 2013, through
23:59 UTC, Monday, February 18, 2013

Battle Format: Rotation Battle

Rankings will be decided based on player Ratings at the end of the competition.

Players may use Pokémon found in the Pokémon Black Version 2 or Pokémon White Version 2 National Pokédex, from No. 001–649.

The following Pokémon cannot be used in this competition:
Chatot

Pokémon may not hold the item Soul Dew.

Pokémon cannot use the move Sky Drop or Dark Void during battle.
So rotation with ubers. Should be fun. Oh, and pinch berry as participation prize (rises accuracy).

(If anything is wrong with me making this topic, feel free to delete it - edit it).

I cannot understand why soul dew is banned. I mean i know it's clearly overpowered for VGC but with powerhouses such as scarf zekrom, lati@s is clearly manageable even with soul dew.

Micle is already legal now btw =x I think that one Gen V event Darkrai held it.

I'mma be cool and slap a Darkrai on my team even with Dark Void banned, and show people that it's still good (right......RIGHT?! D:)

The weathers wars will be raging once again, you open the match with scarf Water Spout Kyogre and if your weather is changed just switch to DrizzleToad to get it back in one turn. Yep this gonna be good!

Darkrai without Dark Void isn't very good, but I think you could run Specs or Life Orb on it to get away with it: I'd still not use it. There are just better choices overall.

Kyogre/Kingdra/Hitmontop will probably lead the rankings if I'm betting money, but it's glad to see ubers back: The GBU metagame was becoming extremely stale.

I guess the ubers forum will be active again for a short while.

-James

Does rayquaza's ability work if he's not the pokémon in front? Does it nullify the weather continuously, or only when it goes out?

Air Lock (and Cloud 9 for that matter) is only active when the Pokemon in question is the one leading on the rotation panel.

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader
I cannot understand why soul dew is banned. I mean i know it's clearly overpowered for VGC but with powerhouses such as scarf zekrom, lati@s is clearly manageable even with soul dew.
Because lolNintendo.

This should be a lot of fun; nice break from the standard Doubles, as well as no Championship Points/Byes to bitch over this round (which hopefully means even less DCs). I'll be joining despite the fact that I suck at Rotation Battles. :x

The weathers wars will be raging once again, you open the match with scarf Water Spout Kyogre and if your weather is changed just switch to DrizzleToad to get it back in one turn. Yep this gonna be good!
I wonder if people might not be as familiar to rotation mechanics to singles and doubles. Just wanna point out that weather is set at the beginning of the match and only with the active pokemon (the center one.) If you were to switch to a reserve pokemon that has a weather starting ability, the weather will stay the same. This is also the case with other abilities that start automatically at the beginning of the turn or switch, like intimidate.

Kyogre/Kingdra/Hitmontop will probably lead the rankings if I'm betting money, but it's glad to see ubers back: The GBU metagame was becoming extremely stale
What makes you think Hitmontop will be so popular? Fake Out is a lot less useful outside doubles/triples and even Intimidate is nerfed since only 1 of the 3 starting Pokemon have their ability activated - would you lead with Intimidate instead of weather? Never mind the fact that you only have one bench Pokemon maximum or the fact that rotating is more enticing than switching since you can rotate + attack on the same turn.

This should be a lot of fun; nice break from the standard Doubles, as well as no Championship Points/Byes to bitch over this round (which hopefully means even less DCs).
A lot of the people D/Cing in the past tournament weren't going to see the top of the rankings without a telescope, disqualification or not. And there are tons of ragequitters on non-rated Wifi. It's not about the prize, it's about the ego/pride.

I wonder if people might not be as familiar to rotation mechanics to singles and doubles. Just wanna point out that weather is set at the beginning of the match and only with the active pokemon (the center one.) If you were to switch to a reserve pokemon that has a weather starting ability, the weather will stay the same. This is also the case with other abilities that start automatically at the beginning of the turn or switch, like intimidate.
What I mean is:
You start with a Scarfed Kyogre on the center, you opponent start with Chople Tyranitar on the center, to get back your weather you just need to change your center pokemon in this case Kyogre for Drizzle Politoed, and then you have the upper hand again in just one turn.

Xen

Wi-Fi Leader
A lot of the people D/Cing in the past tournament weren't going to see the top of the rankings without a telescope, disqualification or not. And there are tons of ragequitters on non-rated Wifi. It's not about the prize, it's about the ego/pride.
I know DCs will still be there, but hopefully not abundant. The DC rate from the last tourney, to me anyway, seemed to be rather low compared to previous Wifi tournaments. Between the strict DC rate Nintendo has started enforcing, and the lack of any good prizes, hopefully people will be more inclined to accept their losses. But what do I know?

What I mean is:
You start with a Scarfed Kyogre on the center, you opponent start with Chople Tyranitar on the center, to get back your weather you just need to change your center pokemon in this case Kyogre for Drizzle Politoed, and then you have the upper hand again in just one turn.
Only way to regain weather is switching out the old fashioned way, and I wouldn't necessarily call that an advantage when they rotate and slam Politoed with an overpowered SE Thunder.

So if you lead with rayquaza and move it, do you nullify the current weather?

If you do that, and he gets a weather inducer, and you move rayquaza back to the center, will he nullify the current weather while he's in the center?

Or, as I've been told above, rayquaza would only nullify the wather while he's in front, making its hability useless to support others?

Xen

Wi-Fi Leader
Or a long forgotten move called Rain Dance.
True, but you still risk getting struck with Thunder in the case of Politoed.

I'm kinda stuck with what to use in this tourney. I haven't played with Ubers since 2007, and I'm clueless when it comes to Rotations. I'm kinda tempted to use a Sun team, but idk. :/

I'm gonna try n' play and I've never even used ubers xD

Watch me get below 1500 with a team of Legendaries xD

\o\ lol /o/

So if you lead with rayquaza and move it, do you nullify the current weather?

If you do that, and he gets a weather inducer, and you move rayquaza back to the center, will he nullify the current weather while he's in the center?

Or, as I've been told above, rayquaza would only nullify the wather while he's in front, making its hability useless to support others?
They will only nullify the weather when they are in front. If you move them back the effects of weather will be in place again.

It is still undecided how we deal with the probable abundance of ExtremeKiller Arceus. Because of the matchup, Roar is nowhere as effective as in Single Uber and Giratina has much more trouble to deal with rotation. Maybe checking it with Arceus + Kabutops?

We just wonder when the speed is calculated: Before or after Rayquaza spins away. That is important for anyone how uses Swift Swim or Chlorophyll.

Xen

Wi-Fi Leader
It is still undecided how we deal with the probable abundance of ExtremeKiller Arceus. Because of the matchup, Roar is nowhere as effective as in Single Uber and Giratina has much more trouble to deal with rotation. Maybe checking it with Arceus + Kabutops?

We just wonder when the speed is calculated: Before or after Rayquaza spins away. That is important for anyone how uses Swift Swim or Chlorophyll.
I would imagine before Ray spins out, but don't quote me on that.

I asked this on gamefaqs, but I'd still like some more opinions. Since this is rotations, shoud I avoid using Outrage & Draco Meteor? I feel like it would be a bad idea because w/ Outrage, the opponent can rotate to a Steel type and use a move at the same time. And due to the way Rotation Battles work, I think it might be more difficult to switch out after using Draco Meteor. Am I wrong?

Most people avoid those moves in rotation, for the reasons you stated yourself. Outrage might be viable on a cleaner set to better break through opposing physical bulky things, and could be used once the opposing dragon resists are dealt with. Just make sure, your Chomp, Mence or whatever provides enough additional benefit during early/midgame, since it will be otherwise pretty much dead weight for your team during early stages of the match. Draco Meteor + White herb is another possible option, but tbh I wouldn't recommend it, since it is painful if thrown into a resists (or something specially bulky like Gastrodon).
For most teams however Dragon Claw / Dual Chop / Dragon Pulse are more consistent and reliable options IMHO, so I would recommend to stay away from Outrage/Meteor unless you really have a good plan to do otherwise.

does anyone want to practice? I've just put together a team with the stuff I had in my pc, so I don't have a lot of strategy in there...

does anyone want to practice? I've just put together a team with the stuff I had in my pc, so I don't have a lot of strategy in there...
I'd practice, but it'd have to be 6 vs. 6 due to Nintendo BS, and I hope all your Pokemon are at 100. PM me before midnight tonight if you're interested (2 hrs from now)

-James

I'd practice, but it'd have to be 6 vs. 6 due to Nintendo BS, and I hope all your Pokemon are at 100. PM me before midnight tonight if you're interested (2 hrs from now)

-James
Too late, I already joined the tournament so the battle box is locked xP

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)