2014/15 Association Football (Soccer) thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there an explanation why Huntlear is always shafted, despite scoring tons of goals consistently and being a superb sub each time? Why can't they make him main for once dammit. I love RVP but sometimes you need a lil scare to perform.

Huntlear had two chances to score if his teammates actually passed the ball for an easy tap in.

===================

Edit: In case of a Catalan yes vote, how far do you think Madrid would want to punish them? And if they exclude Barcelona (who just supported the independence vote) do you think they will play at the French league or somewhere else?

Last edited:
well that was fun. Robbie Keane becomes the first Irishman to score two international hat tricks, against san marino and Gibraltar :/
their keeper gifted us 4 goals and that OG was hilarious :)

@xddragon barca will play in Spain even if their is independence for Catalonia

destinyunknown

Banned deucer.
Edit: In case of a Catalan yes vote, how far do you think Madrid would want to punish them? And if they exclude Barcelona (who just supported the independence vote) do you think they will play at the French league or somewhere else?
What the hell do you mean by that? Punish? What? Catalonia would be punishing themselves if they left Spain, not only because they would lose all the money they leech from the rest of the country, but because industries and investors will leave. In fact, they are already leaving. Nobody would exclude Barcelona, they are choosing to exclude themselves. For what it matters, they should have already left, since they hate Spain so much and show it by burning flags, whistling against the national anthem etc

DestinyGallade Spain's Sport Law specifies that no team from a foreign country can play in any of Spain's sport leagues. So Barcelona wouldn't be able to play La Liga, unless they change the law, which would be unbelievably pathetic, and an invitation for other parts of Spain to do the same. We would be making a fool of ourselves and throwing out all of the national pride we had left.

As for playing in Ligue 1, Manuel Valls (France primer minister) said a few months ago that ''We will not allow Barcelona to play in Ligue 1''

Last edited:
What the hell do you mean by that? Punish? What? Catalonia would be punishing themselves if they left Spain, not only because they would lose all the money they leech from the rest of the country, but because industries and investors will leave. In fact, they are already leaving. Nobody would exclude Barcelona, they are choosing to exclude themselves. For what it matters, they should have already left, since they hate Spain so much and show it by burning flags, whistling against the national anthem etc

DestinyGallade Spain's Sport Law specifies that no team from a foreign country can play in any of Spain's sport leagues. So Barcelona wouldn't be able to play La Liga, unless they change the law, which would be unbelievably pathetic, and an invitation for other parts of Spain to do the same. We would be making a fool of ourselves and throwing out all of the national pride we had left.

As for playing in Ligue 1, Manuel Valls (France primer minister) said a few months ago that ''We will not allow Barcelona to play in Ligue 1''
Well technically Andorra and Gilbartar are foreign countries (yes yes Spain claims the latter as territory and Andorra has a Spanich co-prince ruling thingy). There is also the fact Real Madrid, its fans and classico lovers all over the world not wanting the league to be destroyed regardless of the outcome of the vote but this is an interesting subject to bring up seeing as the vote is November 22.

But from a nationalistic view I don't see Spain welcoming Barca to the league regardless of how the league will fare afterwards.

In a worst case scenario especially since you say France won't house them (they have their own separatists after all) I could see a small Catalonia league with some teams from supportive regions (Basque) joining in.

Again, don't shoot the messenger I'm just sayian.

======================

edit: DID POLAND JUST DEFEAT GERMANY??

Last edited:

destinyunknown

Banned deucer.
Well technically Andorra and Gilbartar are foreign countries (yes yes Spain claims the latter as territory and Andorra has a Spanich co-prince ruling thingy). There is also the fact Real Madrid, its fans and classico lovers all over the world not wanting the league to be destroyed regardless of the outcome of the vote but this is an interesting subject to bring up seeing as the vote is November 22.

But from a nationalistic view I don't see Spain welcoming Barca to the league regardless of how the league will fare afterwards.

In a worst case scenario especially since you say France won't house them (they have their own separatists after all) I could see a small Catalonia league with some teams from supportive regions (Basque) joining in.

Again, don't shoot the messenger I'm just sayian.
Gibraltar teams don't play in Spain, they have their own league. Doesn't have anything to do with this.

Only one team from Andorra plays in Spain, and that's an historical concession or whatever. The rest of teams from Andorra play in the league of Andorra.

The league wouldn't be destroyed, especially if they do the right thing and Atletico/Valencia/Sevilla/etc receive the money from TV broadcasting that was previously given to Barcelona. With more money for those teams, the league could be even more competitive. In fact, before the 80s, Atletico was actually Real Madrid's biggest rival, not Barcelona. They're coming strong again after a bad streak.

Catalonian nationalism (which is pretty much just a lie to leech money) and Basque nationalism (racism, if you read Sabino Arana's ideology) don't have anything to do with each other besides hating Spain. UEFA probably wouldn't allow it anyway.

Holy fuck Poland, what a great result for the country and their history! But instead of opening the door for Ireland and Scotland you can't help but feel that this just closes it a little bit more because you'd have to think Germany and Poland will go through now and there is only one place left...

I have to say I'm starting to warm to this idea of Wilshere playing deep, let me explain. Normally you'd expect a solid, defensive player to be sitting in front of the back four and this is what I prefer to see from England because it is the safe option - a player who can tackle well and keep it simple at the back with minimal mistakes. My preference would actually be Chambers. Playing Wilshere there is the complete opposite, he is creative, explosive and loves taking risks in order to attack the opposition box. What he also brings is a natural talent with the ball, it sticks to his feet like glue like no other player in the England squad - which makes him an unbelievable dribbler. By putting a creative player like this deep means you expect to completely dominate the opposition. If you dominate possession, the lack of defensive quality will not be as keenly felt. This is incredibly bold from Hodgeson.

Wilshere will give the team much greater control than a standard defensive player, he will be able to threaten with passes AND dribbling which is highly unexpected in the middle of the pitch, rather than just passing it sideways or offloading the responsibility to a more advanced midfielder. Usually you put a player of Wilshere's talent nearer to the opposition box but Hodgeson has gambled with pace up front and I really like that because Welbeck, Sterling, Sturridge, Walcott, Ox, Lallana and Barkley is a frightening array of options. The retirement of Gerrard has allowed Hodgeson to come up with an innovative solution that uses England's players to their strengths.

There is one big caveat however. If England do not dominate the opposition then Wilshere is a sitting duck, although he loves a tackle, and you can't fault him for trying, it's not his strongest point. And when a dribble goes wrong a quality opposition will be right on the back four. This is where the gamble will be apparent. I fully expect England to win the rest of the matches, completely dominate weak opposition and have 70+% possession because a player of Wilshere's quality simply will not let them have the ball. But once the tournament starts and Germany or Spain are waiting, you cannot seriously expect England to have 70+% possession right? This is why I'd rather have a conventional defensive mid there and have Henderson and Wilshere in front running box to box and free to make mistakes. One thing is clear, if Hodgeson continues with this then they will either get it perfect and dominate and humiliate opposition with massive possession and few shots conceded, or they will get ripped apart if anything goes wrong at all. I have to at least admire his cajones with this one whatever happens.

Iceland are fucking beasts apparently O_o

Couldn't resist reposting this from a fanpage...new world order gentlemen, we are in it.

Last edited:
YES JONO YOU BEAST!!!!!!!!

from my hometown so it makes it more special, always good to see a local lad who everyone knows well scoring in his 100th cap against the world champions :) really opens the group up cos Poland and Scotland drew. Performance wise we were pretty crap but I'll take a draw away at Germany any day, in fact I'd take a home one as well!!!

Sapientia

Wir knutschen
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
O'shea of all people, Germany that bad?
The team that played against Poland and Ireland is clearly worse than the team that won the World Cup. For example Löw needs to find new full backs, especially due to Lahm's retire, so we are testing players there. Rüdiger and Durm are both young lads with few experience and Rüdiger is a CB at Stuttgart, so not even used to play as a right back. It was also a kinda young team, considering that Neuer was the oldest player in our starting XI and he is 28 years.

Injures are also a problem since we are missing Özil, Schweinsteiger, Reus, Khedira, Gomez and Kramer and Schürrle against Ireland. Starting Ginter in the midfield isn't what you really want.

Plus we were unlucky in both matches :P

10 years ago the Greatest player of all time made his debut.

He Came on as a sub for Deco in 2004.

This is also a good read http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/oct/15/lionel-messi-barcelona-decade

Also the best player ,last season, is finally going to make his debut for his new team.
Oh and he got his golden boot.
31 goals with 12 assists.

Barca team is basiCally set up for a striker like him. The last piece in this barCA team.
now the best player Can feed the best striker in the world.

shade

be sharp, say nowt
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Oh shut up, as a Liverpool and Ireland fan I haven't had many moments of rejoice recently, let me enjoy this one!!
ye you liverpool fans really have it tough. finishing second in the premier league and winning a champions league in the last decade must've really been a struggle for you to see through

got to love ireland though, bad player o'shea scoring an injury time equaliser against germany on his 100th cap. cant beat that

recently being last 5 years. Coming 2nd was a rare moment, we came 7th every other year. I am exaggerating a bit though. Not as bad as Leeds I suppose, hasn't been a good 10 years for you.

When O'Shea scored that goal, the roof pretty much came off the place. I thought it was McGeady at first but seeing O'Shea's face in the replay made it even better!

HBK

Subtlety is my middle name
Feels like it's been two years since I last saw any Premier League action goddammit.

shade

be sharp, say nowt
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
hate playing on friday night...

now i have to go the whole weekend knowing that we lost to fucking rotherham

HBK

Subtlety is my middle name
No Costa in the Chelsea squad, while it's nice to finally see Rémy start a game, my Fantasy team's unbelievably fucked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)