[2014] Venusaur

Status
Not open for further replies.
Overview
########

Charizard and Venusaur: BFFs forever
Among the fastest, bulkiest Chlorophyll users available, making it a good Pokemon in and out of the sun.
Makes up for the holes in Charizard's coverage pretty well
Good Mega Evolution
Hates Talonflame and Rotom-H
limited coverage between its two main stabs
Generally a worse off choice than Amoonguss if you aren't using it with Mega Charizard Y

Charizard Partner
########
name: Charizard Partner
move 1: Giga Drain / Energy Ball
move 2: Sludge Bomb / HP Fire
move 3: Sleep Powder
move 4: Protect
ability: Chlorophyll
item: Life Orb
evs: 204 HP / 252 SpAtk / 52 Spe
nature: Modest

Moves
========

INFO ABOUT MOVES GOES HERE

Set Details
========

EVS / ITEM / NATURE INFORMATION GOES HERE

Usage Tips
========

USAGE TIPS GO HERE

Team Options
========

TEAM OPTIONS GO HERE

Mega Tank
########
name: Mega Tank
move 1: Giga Drain
move 2: Sludge Bomb
move 3: Sleep Powder
move 4: Protect
ability: Chlorophyll
item: Venusaurite
evs: 252 HP / 236 Def / 20 SpDef
nature: Bold

Moves
========

Giga Drain and Sludge Bomb make up your main STAB attacks
Sleep Powder allows Venusaur to gamble on the 75% accuracy to get a game chaning incapacitation
Protect affords Venusaur all of Protects normal uses, keeping Venusaur safe from double targets and the rest of its utilities
Energy Ball over Giga Drain is an option, but Venusaur really enjoys having a source of recovery.

Set Details
========

EV spread allows you to always live Talonflame's Choice Banded Brave Bird. The rest is dumped into Special Defense.
Bold Nature is needed to accomplish living that hit.
Mega Stone is required, obviously
Chlorophyll is still the recommended ability since it can net Venusaur a turn of being faster than usual if the opponent happens to bring a Charizard Y

Usage Tips
========

Team Options
========

Rotom-W works wonders with Mega Venusaur. Venusaur gives Rotom-W a switch in for whatever Amoonguss wants to do while Rotom-W makes for a great Talonflame counter.
Anything that enjoys having Rotom-W out of the way like Talonflame and Garchomp likes having Mega Venusaur around

Other Options
########

OTHER OPTIONS GOES HERE. STUFF LIKE ALTERNATE MOVES, ALTERNATE SETS, NICHE STUFF THAT DOESN'T GET A MAIN SET MENTION

Checks & Counters
########

CHECKS & COUNTERS GO HERE
NOTE THAT THIS WILL BE MORE THREATLISTY SO MENTION POKEMON / OTHER EFFECTS ONE AT A TIME

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I feel that maybe Leech Seed could be slashed with Protect or Sleep Powder as the healing from 2 pokemon in 1 turn is just huge and it forces switches

Sub seeder mega is an option available to venusaur because sleep powder's accuracy is frustating to use in tournaments

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Sub seeder mega is an option available to venusaur because sleep powder's accuracy is frustating to use in tournaments
The main issue with Leech Seed on Mega Venusaur in VGC is that, while you can heal off two Pokémon at once, running a Venusaur without Sleep Powder is like running Focus Blast over Aura Sphere - they may have drawbacks over the other (lower accuracy for Sleep Powder and lower power for Aura Sphere), but they still outshine the other moves for other reasons (status is even more crippling in VGC and that gives it huge utility over Leech Seed as you can't cure it by simply switching out (excluding Natural Cure) for Sleep Powder and there is no more 100% miss rate (I jest, but you know what I mean) while still hitting decently hard for Aura Sphere). Furthermore, it is outclassed in such a role by Ferrothorn who has superior bulk and better defensive typing dispite generally being more offensive in vgc.

However, I do agree with you in the respect that it should go in at least OO, but I revoke my previous post about Leech Seed as I changed my mind about a day after posting it, but I couldn't be bothered to delete it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)