2015/16 Football/Soccer thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Simeone managed Atletico with minimum fuss. However, Real Madrid has a reputation for sacking managers so this might be a bit too soon for Zidane.

you never know, pep also had no managerial experience in first division football and he ended up winning the treble in his first season in charge. zidane knows madrid well, he knows he has no room for error. plus he already managed castilla, so he has SOME experience... (unlike giggs when he took over). i'm interested to see what he could do.

Arsenal keen on buying Aubameyang, don't really know how that'll work out for Oxlade Chamberlain and Campbell. Thoughts?

Zidane and Guardiola are different circumstances tho. Guardiola was already in the setup for a few years and was inheriting a young team about to reach its peak. He had ideas for how to use Messi and how to make the most of the players who had come through the academy where he had worked before. He was brilliant but it was carefully planned.

Zidane has been shunted into management by Perez, first as a no.2 and then as the manager of Castilla without even having the coaching badges. Although he has been there for a couple of years, he himself said as recently as last season that he wasn't ready for management at the top level. He has always seemed hesitant and personally I think this is all Perez's idea more than Zidane feeling ready. There is still the problem that the team is a set of expensive individuals assembled by Perez rather than the carefully moulded team that Guardiola was already helping to develop for years before he became manager.

All in all I feel for Zidane because he has to learn and adapt quickly or else even he won't last very long in front of the RM crowd. What will happen though is the players and fans will at least respect him for a while so results might just improve because of that alone. Long term though he reminds me of Giggs at Utd, he just doesn't look ready for the job.

As for Aubameyang, I give it 1% chance Wenger signs him. If Wenger does then it means he has lost faith in Welbeck. But Wenger usually waits for a player to come back from injury and play shit for years before losing faith so I think it's unlikely.

destinyunknown

Banned deucer.
Yeah, there's no way you can compare Zidane to Guardiola or Simeone, sadly.

Simeone had 7 years of top flight managing experience (in Argentina and Italy) with overall good results and a vision for how his teams were going to play. Furthermore Atletico were on a rebuild phase so he was given time to tune the team, which is clearly not going to happen in Real Madrid.

As for Guardiola, NLI summed it up pretty well.

I feel sad for Zidane, but can't see him making it past June.

Btw, not sure if Arsenal need Aubameyang, I think buying a defensive midfielder (surprise!) is of a higher priority.

Last edited:
Furthermore, I don't see why Auba wants to move to Arsenal. He's in the form of his life and BvB is built to cater to his strengths. Plus, BvB has outperformed Arsenal in the Champions League in recent years ( both teams are doing well in their domestic leagues although Bundesliga is almost impossible to win with Bayern there. ). Outside of stupid wages, I think he doesn't need to move. Plus, BvB doesn't need to sell him.

Arsenal needs a DM, seriously. Arteta is pushing the wrong end of 30 while Coquelin is a kid. Wilshire is Sturridge's hospital mate. They need a midfielder who can boss the game while being pressed. Normally, Arsenal crumbles when the opponent applies early pressure ( 5-1 at Anfield and 6-0 at the Bridge are examples ).

Last edited:
Elneny is the word in all the papers. It's a done deal apparently. Seems like a typical Wenger purchase, maybe not as young as he used to buy them but still pretty young. Maybe it's the new financial power lol!

I would have said we need cover for Coquelin too but now he has too many young defensive mids. There's Coquelin and Elneny and Bielik in the reserve team and possibly Chambers (I'm still not sure where Wenger wants to play him) as well as a couple more in the youth team. I was hoping Wenger would have bought an experienced mid, maybe even a big money transfer to compete with Coquelin but I'll reserve judgement for now. Elneny has plenty of experience already and seems good value.

Stoke. Liverpool. Chelsea. Southampton. Leicester. Barcelona. Manchester United. Swansea. Tottenham.

This is going to be a brutal few months... Title breaking/grabbing imo.

there is one thing that zidane has that benitez doesn't... and that is respect. the players, and most importantly, cristiano ronaldo, will respect zidane. sure, he doesn't have much managerial experience, but he's been there, he's lived it. he's a legendary player with one of the most creative minds (on the pitch) in football history. plus i think zidane will not be taking any shit from ronaldo. he will command this team and make sure everyone plays for HIM. at least zidane knows the importance of playing james and isco, two building blocks for the present and future of real madrid. after barca's copa match yesterday i woke up today and said "can't wait to see how madrid play today in zidane's debut!" .... but then i remembered opa opa fuera de la copa

destinyunknown

Banned deucer.
''Respect'' doesn't win titles. It may be enough to pubstomp low level teams but not to win an important tournament. There's also something Benitez had that Zidane doesn't, and that's managerial experience.

Benitez hasn't done shit noteworthy since Liverpool fluked winning the Champions League 10 years ago. It was always going to be a disaster expecting him to lead Madrid to the La Liga title or Champions League; the only thing which would saved his job at the end of the season anyway.

I don't think players have ever really liked him though, is there something about his personality? Even at Liverpool there haven't been many players who came out and said Benitez was great or whatever. Stevie G even said in his autobiography that he thought Benitez didn't like him lol! Just shows how distant the relationship was between him and the players.

Benitez has never been one to show affection to his staff or players. Maybe that's his personality. Most football stars have an ego in the sense that they wanted to be told they did well which they will never get from Benitez. That's why many players fall out with him as he's too distant for their liking.

Anyway, had a laugh at the UEFA team of the year:
UEFA revealed their team of the year, aka the most popular players of 2015.

Neuer; Alves, Piqué, Ramos, Alaba; Pogba, Iniesta, James; Messi, Cristiano and Neymar.

I'll try not to point out the obvious issues here lol

Myzozoa

to find better ways to say what nobody says
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
will be triple captaining benteke against arsenal as it is really my only way of beating my opponent in the cup.

will be triple captaining benteke against arsenal as it is really my only way of beating my opponent in the cup.
As a Liverpool fan, I will ask you to reconsider this decision since Benteke is out of form and his performances have been horrific lately. Plus, with so many players injured, it is difficult for us to field a team as it is. Plus, Klopp rarely starts Benteke in big games (Chelsea, Man City, Stoke). Add that to Liverpool's goalscoring woes, having Benteke in your Fantasy Team, let alone Triple Captaining him, is a massive gamble.

Benitez has never been one to show affection to his staff or players. Maybe that's his personality. Most football stars have an ego in the sense that they wanted to be told they did well which they will never get from Benitez. That's why many players fall out with him as he's too distant for their liking.

Anyway, had a laugh at the UEFA team of the year:
UEFA revealed their team of the year, aka the most popular players of 2015.

Neuer; Alves, Piqué, Ramos, Alaba; Pogba, Iniesta, James; Messi, Cristiano and Neymar.

I'll try not to point out the obvious issues here lol
Honestly that list isn't too bad. I'd take out Pique and Ramos for Godin and Boateng and swap Pogba and James for Busquets/Verratti/De Bruyne, but that's about it.

You could make a case Ronaldo shouldn't be in. The idea that him and Messi are 1 & 2 even if they have a crap season will never die till one retires though.

Not a better keeper but De Gea was better in the voting area then Neuer as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)