Milotic

Status
Not open for further replies.

so beautiful, so tanky, and intimidates intimidate

yeah, probably needs lots of fixing since it is my first analysis

Overview
########

Milotic has a nice tool in the form of Competitive, which allows Milotic to check Intimidate users. 95 / 79 / 125 bulk, pure Water typing, and access to Recover make Milotic surprisingly hard to take down. While Milotic doesn't have a wide movepool, it's more than adequate for Milotic to fulfill its purpose on its team.

Anti-Intimidate Tank
########
name: Anti-Intimidate Tank
move 1: Scald
move 2: Ice Beam / Icy Wind
move 3: Recover / Icy Wind
move 4: Protect / Mirror Coat
ability: Competitive
item: Leftovers / Sitrus Berry / Assault Vest
evs: 236 HP / 140 Def / 132 SpA
nature: Modest

Moves
========

Scald is a is STAB move and has a good chance to burn foes. Ice Beam offers great coverage, hitting threats such as Landorus-T, Garchomp, and Salamence, as well as Grass-types super effectively. Icy Wind, however, still hits targets with a 4x weakness to Ice hard, is a spread move, and offers Milotic the ability to provide speed control. Recover greatly increases Milotic's longevity, but it is unusable with Assault Vest. For the last slot, Protect is great option for Milotic to scout dangerous super effective attacks. On other hand, Mirror Coat allows Milotic to annoy powerful threats such as Rotom-W and Thundurus.

Set Details
========

236 HP and 140 Defense EVs allow Milotic to survive Adamant Mega Kangaskhan's Double-Edge, while 132 Special Attack EVs and a Modest nature allow Milotic to hit as hard as possible. Leftovers increases Milotic's longevity and works great with Recover. Sitrus Berry gives Milotic one-time healing, but in the long run it doesn't heal as much as Leftovers. With Assault Vest, Milotic can't use status moves, but it becomes very specially bulky. If you use Assault Vest, Icy Wind and Mirror Coat should be used over Recover and Protect. You can also invest more into Speed if you want to outspeed Rotom-W, or even base 100 Speed Pokemon after Icy Wind.

Usage Tips
========

Milotic should be paired with physical attackers. Opponents will have two choices: either deal with a +2 Milotic or a physical attacker at normal power. Milotic can do lot of damage on the field if it manages to get a Competitive boost, and thanks to its great bulk, it is hard for opponents to take down. Typically, Milotic should tank hits while using Scald and occasionally Ice Beam or Icy Wind. Milotic can either lead for a potential Competitive boost if the opponent leads with an Intimidate user, or it can be saved for late-game to finish off weakened targets. You can also switch Milotic into a predicted Icy Wind to get a Competitive boost.

Team Options
========

Pokemon that hate Intimidate are good partners to Milotic; examples include almost every physical attacker, including Mega Kangaskhan, Mega Mawile, Mega Salamence, Landorus-T, and Talonflame. Intimidate users are also good partners, because they help patch up Milotic's physical bulk. Arcanine deserves a special mention, as it has overall good type synergy with Milotic and has access to Will-O-Wisp, Intimidate, and Snarl to make itself and Milotic really annoying to take down. Bulky Grass-types are great partners to Milotic; for example, Amoonguss can absorb Electric-type attacks aimed at Milotic. Milotic also has good synergy with Mega Venusaur, which enjoys Milotic's ability to provide Icy Wind support and beat Mega Salamence. Mega Venusaur also beats bulky Water-types, which Milotic hates.

Other Options
########

Hydro Pump can be used to give Milotic a chance to OHKO Mega Mawile and Mega Manectric after a Competitive boost, and it hits decently hard even without Competitive boost. It, however, has a chance to miss, cannot burn foes, and has lower PP. Hidden Power Fire can be used if Ferrothorn bothers your team too much, while Hidden Power Grass can be used to hit opposing Water-types, but it's pretty weak. Safeguard and Light Screen can be used as well, but this role is better left for true support Pokemon such as Cresselia. As weird as it sounds, Choice Scarf can be used on Milotic. Choice Scarf Milotic with a Timid nature can outspeed Landorus-T, Terrakion, Garchomp, and Mega Salamence and OHKO them all with either Hydro Pump or Ice Beam. A Wacan Berry can be used to weaken the damage of one Electric-type move aimed at Milotic. With a Wacan Berry, 252 HP EVs, and 76 Special Defense EVs, Milotic can survive two of Rotom-W's Thunderbolts.

Checks & Counters
########

**Bulky Grass-types**: Ludicolo, Ferrothorn, and Mega Venusaur give Milotic a really hard time because Milotic can't hit them reliably. Ferrothorn and Mega Venusaur can just Leech Seed Milotic avoiding Mirror Coat and slowly KO it.

**Electric-types*: Thundurus and Rotom can fire off powerful Thunderbolts at Milotic. Rotom-W is especially annoying, as Milotic can't do anything against it if Milotic lacks Hidden Power Grass or Mirror Coat.

**Preventing a Competitive Boost**: Without a Competitive boost, Milotic can be dead weight if it can't hit super effectively.

**Sun**: Milotic hates sun, as its Water-type moves are pretty weak in sun. Mega Charizard Y can hit really hard with Solar Beam and is often paired with Grass-types.

**Powerful Physical Attacks**: Even with a high amount of HP and Defense investment, Milotic doesn't enjoy taking powerful physical attacks such as Mega Kangaskhan's Double-Edge, Mega Mawile's Play Rough, and Talonflame's Brave Bird.

Last edited:

Agonist

how can I feel existential dread, it's my fear
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I would change this line:

While Milotic doesnt have really colorful movepool, its more than enough for Milotic.
To something more like:

While Milotic doesn't have a wide movepool, it's more than adequate for Milotic to fulfill its purpose on your team.
Or something along those lines. Your line just comes off awkward (imo anyway), and while I understood what you were saying, it just comes off as cumbersome.

Imo the offensive EV spread should showcase more info about what it can OHKO or 2HKO. Like, for example, Milotic should be able to OHKO Landorus-T and Mega Salamence with Ice Beam even without Intimidate. You should specify more about what this set can and can't do.

Some calcs you could use as reference (definitely don't paste them onto the thread, just mention them) are:
60+ SpA Milotic Ice Beam vs. 44 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-T: 192-228 (112.9 - 134.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
60+ SpA Milotic Ice Beam vs. 168 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-T: 192-228 (103.7 - 123.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
These 2 calcs means it basically can KO almost any kind of Landorus-T variant (with exception of careful variant and AV variant) without the Competitive boost.
60+ SpA Milotic Ice Beam vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Salamence: 176-208 (102.9 - 121.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 60+ SpA Milotic Scald vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Manectric: 127-150 (86.9 - 102.7%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO

Also, in the Check and Counter area, you defintively should put Water Types, as without HP Grass or Mirror Coat Milotic can't do much to them.

Also, i'm pretty sure you did leave another set, an AV one in the Milotic thread that Togekissofdeath wrote some time ago:

Here is mine:

Milotic @ Assault Vest
Ability: Competitive
Level: 50
EVs: 252 HP / 28 Def / 148 SpA / 76 SpD / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
- Scald / Hydro Pump
- Icy Wind
- Ice Beam
- Dragon Tail / HP fire/ HP grass

This is lot more SpDef based than your Milotic and more offensive, too, but isnt nearly as bulky in physical side. Scald is preferred option, as with nice burn chance and 100% acc. However, Hydro Pump is great alternative, as +2 Milotic has ability to oneshot M-Mawile (!). Ice Beam gives you great coverage, allowing you OHKO things like Mega Mence , Lando and Garchomp. Icy Wind gives nice speed control and does actually nice dmg after +2. Last move is based on your team. Dragon Tail seems weird, but it actually has higher priority than Trick Room, so it can be nasty surprise and good way to counter Trick Room. It can also bring Intimidators onto field, giving +2 for Milotic. Hidden Power grass hits other waters, but unless its Gastrodon or Swampert, it wont hit hard. Hidden Power Fire hits Ferrothorn.

This EV spread lets you always survive Play Rough from max atk adamant M-Mawile, while 148 sp atk EVs and Modest nature allows you always OHKO 4hp Talonflame. 76 spdef EVs and AV allows you always survive 2 Thunderbolts from M-Manectric and 2 Solar Beams from Zard Y. Rest 4 EVs is moved to speed, to not waste EVs.

Calcs:

Offensive:

+2 148+ SpA Milotic Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Mawile: 162-192 (103.1 - 122.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 148+ SpA Milotic Hydro Pump vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Manectric: 189-223 (129.4 - 152.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 148+ SpA Milotic Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 60 SpD Hitmontop: 136-162 (86.6 - 103.1%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO

+2 148+ SpA Milotic Icy Wind vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Salamence: 172-204 (100.5 - 119.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 148+ SpA Milotic Icy Wind vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-T: 188-224 (113.9 - 135.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

148+ SpA Milotic Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Ferrothorn: 104-124 (57.4 - 68.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

148+ SpA Milotic Scald vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Talonflame: 156-186 (101.2 - 120.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Defensive:

252 SpA Mega Manectric Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 76 SpD Assault Vest Milotic: 84-98 (41.5 - 48.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Solar Beam vs. 252 HP / 76 SpD Assault Vest Milotic: 84-100 (41.5 - 49.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 28 Def Milotic: 169-201 (83.6 - 99.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
One could definitely see that this set is somewhat more offensive than the other one, and that could be great as you'll be able to have a more defensive variant and a more offensive one.

Well, that's my own opinion. If any QC member disagrees with it, then completely ignore this reply. Wanna see the final results of this!

EDIT: Forgot to mention that this thread should be a bulleted list for QC. I made the same mistake and that's why i am editing my thread. Also, keep this, as for GP check you'll need to write this again and it won't be funny to delete all this progress then start writing it again.

Last edited:
Imo the offensive EV spread should showcase more info about what it can OHKO or 2HKO. Like, for example, Milotic should be able to OHKO Landorus-T and Mega Salamence with Ice Beam even without Intimidate. You should specify more about what this set can and can't do.

Some calcs you could use as reference (definitely don't paste them onto the thread, just mention them) are:
60+ SpA Milotic Ice Beam vs. 44 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-T: 192-228 (112.9 - 134.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
60+ SpA Milotic Ice Beam vs. 168 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-T: 192-228 (103.7 - 123.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
These 2 calcs means it basically can KO almost any kind of Landorus-T variant (with exception of careful variant and AV variant) without the Competitive boost.
60+ SpA Milotic Ice Beam vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Salamence: 176-208 (102.9 - 121.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 60+ SpA Milotic Scald vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Manectric: 127-150 (86.9 - 102.7%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO

Also, in the Check and Counter area, you defintively should put Water Types, as without HP Grass or Mirror Coat Milotic can't do much to them.

Also, i'm pretty sure you did leave another set, an AV one in the Milotic thread that Togekissofdeath wrote some time ago:

One could definitely see that this set is somewhat more offensive than the other one, and that could be great as you'll be able to have a more defensive variant and a more offensive one.

Well, that's my own opinion. If any QC member disagrees with it, then completely ignore this reply. Wanna see the final results of this!

EDIT: Forgot to mention that this thread should be a bulleted list for QC. I made the same mistake and that's why i am editing my thread. Also, keep this, as for GP check you'll need to write this again and it won't be funny to delete all this progress then start writing it again.
Cool stuff, Skarm_Steel. There is some time that i wrote that Milotic set. Wont add exactly that set, but might consider doing 2nd, more offensive set. We need to see opinions of QC members, though, just like you said. But that was good point to tell more about offensive points. I was actually thinking to put Water types as Checks and Counters. I however already have Rotom-W and Ludicolo listed as counters. Other bulky waters, Politoed, Suicune, Gastrodon and other Milotics, on other hand, i dont see them as counters or even checks (expect maybe Gastrodon due to Storm Drain, but Ice Beam is neutral and Milotic walls it hard) since while Milotic cant do much against them, they cant really do anything against Milotic.

So for now, gonna mention that Milotic can OHKO Landorus and Salamence with Ice Beam, but wont do any other changes for now.

I agree-- would love to see a Life Orb set, perhaps with Recover, as a completely different side of Milotic. It's natural bulk is enough to survive a lot of common threats, so pumping some extra power into Milotic could really do some work.
I was thrilled to see Arcanine mention, as this is a core of a team I built. However, I would also love to see a Mega-Venusaur mention-- as it does pretty well in sun pre-mega, allows you to hard counter opposing water types, especially Rotom-W. It also has access to Sleep Powder, and enjoys Milotic's Icy Wind a lot, boosting its otherwise mediocre at best speed. Milotic threatens Salamence, which Venusaur fears, while Venusaur tanks physical hits, which scare Milotic.

I agree-- would love to see a Life Orb set, perhaps with Recover, as a completely different side of Milotic. It's natural bulk is enough to survive a lot of common threats, so pumping some extra power into Milotic could really do some work.
I was thrilled to see Arcanine mention, as this is a core of a team I built. However, I would also love to see a Mega-Venusaur mention-- as it does pretty well in sun pre-mega, allows you to hard counter opposing water types, especially Rotom-W. It also has access to Sleep Powder, and enjoys Milotic's Icy Wind a lot, boosting its otherwise mediocre at best speed. Milotic threatens Salamence, which Venusaur fears, while Venusaur tanks physical hits, which scare Milotic.
Forget entirely about Mega Venusaur, im adding it to ''Team Options''. I realized now too how great synergy it has with it. I also started to feel that i really need to do 2nd set. Now that also multiple persons reguested it, gonna make one soon.

Hi, just letting you know that all this information needs to be in bullet point form until you get 2 QC checks :)
Oh, good point. Gonna do that aswell. Like i said, this is my first analysis...so i kinda didnt know

Last edited:
the second set is unnecessary. move HP grass down to OO, and put leftovers in set comments in the first set. remove trick room in checks/counters since it's a pretty even matchup.

after you make these changes i'll probably stamp this

the second set is unnecessary. move HP grass down to OO, and put leftovers in set comments in the first set. remove trick room in checks/counters since it's a pretty even matchup.

after you make these changes i'll probably stamp this
Well, perhaps 2nd set is unnecessary, but what about Life Orb? Perhaps it should be moved to OO?
Also didnt i already mention Leftovers in set comments?

Anyway, gonna edit rest of those you said.

I think any Life Orb mention is unnecessary since it compromises your bulk and you still KO what you need to / don't 2HKO or OHKO what you don't need to.

Mention that Mirror Coat > Protect and Icy Wind > Recover is primarily for when you're using Assault Vest.

Make it a little cleared that you're dumping the rest of your EVs in Special Attack after making your defense and speed investment. Mention alongside the speed investment for Rotom-W that investing more due to Rotom-W commonly having speed creep evs is highly recommended. Specify that they should take EVs first out of Special Atttack, then out of HP for a faster miltoic. The fastest you can get while maintaining a OHKO on Mega Salamence without Competitive with Ice Beam and while still living Adamant Mega Kangaskhan's Double-Edge is 92 Speed with a final spread of 236 HP / 140 Def / 36 SpA / 4 SpD / 92 Spe.

"Using Milotic is pretty simple. It should be brought always if possible against Intimidate users" This isn't nessisarily true since Miltoic can scare away Intimidate users from team preview alone. I'd change this line instead to say that it's recommended to pair milotic alongside a physical attacker. They can either not bring out their Intimidate user and leave your physical attacker at its normal power or switch it in and now have to deal with a +2 Miltoic. Also, please mention in the usage tips that Miltoic makes a good switch in for an obvious Icy Wind since it takes a very weak hit and gets a competitive boost.

Speed Control isn't huge for Miltoic and it isn't in an awful speed tier. It's providing the speed control if anything. I'd get rid of this line.

Give Wacan Berry a mention in Other Options since it's taking Electric attacks frequently. Also mention that with a Wacan Berry, if you want to live two Thunderbolts from Rotom-W, you'll need an investment of 252 HP / 76 SpD

Rearrange Checks and Counters to list this way:

Bulky Grass-types
Electric-types
Preventing a Competitive Boost
Sun
Powerful Physical attacks.

The third one is a new one, but I think it deserves mention. Milotic is a painfully average Pokemon without a Competitive boost. Simply paying attention to not feed it one makes it much easier to handle.

Once these are implemented, I'll probably swing back in with a QC check.

Changes implemented, expect one yet.
Im looking at your spread, and i actually feel that its better than mine. I found out that with 84 Spe EVs, Milotic outspeeds Base 100s with positive nature after Icy Wind. So this would mean new EV spread as either as 236 HP / 140 Def / 44 SpA / 4 SpD / 84 Spe or as 244 HP / 140 Def / 36 SpA / 4 SpD / 84 Spe. Should i keep my current spread and mention just in set details to invest more in speed to make sure that you outspeed Rotoms, or just replace current spread with either of theses? And if replace, which one of those two?

Last edited:
Honestly, I was pretty skeptical of the Rotom-W speed investment to start with since you can't do terribly much with it. I think a higher Special Attack investment would do Miltotic more good. I'd say make the default spread 236 HP / 140 Def / 132 SpA, then mention your spread for outrunning Base 100 Pokemon.

Once that's implemented, QC 1/2.

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
poketrainer777

REMOVE CHANGE COMMENTS

Overview
########
Milotic got great tool in Gen 6 in has a nice tool in the form of Competitive, which allows it to check Intimidate Pokemon. This makes Milotic able to check Intimidate nicely, and made Milotic now a true threat that you need to prepare for. 95/79/125 bulk, pure Water typing, and access to Recover makes Milotic surprisingly hard to take down. While Milotic doesn't have a wide movepool, it's more than adequate for Milotic to fulfill its purpose on its team.

Anti-Intimidate Tank
########

Moves
========

Scald, main move of this set, is STAB, is a perfectly accurate STAB move and has a good chance to burn opponents. Ice Beam offers great coverage, hitting threats like such as Landorus-T, Garchomp, (AC) and Salamence, while also having ability to hit Grass-types. Icy Wind however still hits targets with a 4x weakness to Ice-weakness decently hard, its is a spread move, (AC) and offers Milotic ability to speed control. Recover greatly increases Milotic's longevity, but Icy Wind should be used on this slot instead if you use is unusable with Assault Vest. For last slot, Protect is great option for Milotic to scout dangerous super effective attacks. Mirror Coat is cool tool that allows Milotic to annoy powerful threats such as things like Rotom-W and Thundurus.

Set Details
========

236 HP and 140 Def EVs allows Milotic to live Adamant Mega Kangaskhan's Double-Edge, while 132 SpA EVs and a Modest nature allows Milotic to hit as hard as possible. Leftovers increases Milotic's longevity, and its works great with Recover. Sitrus Berry gives Milotic one-time healing boost, but on in the long run doesn't heal as much as Leftovers. With Assault Vest, Milotic can't use status moves, but is very specially bulky but it makes Milotic horribly bulky specially, surviving even multiple super effective hits. If you use Assault Vest, Icy Wind and Mirror Coat should be used over Recover and Protect, respectively. You can also invest more into Speed if you want Milotic to outspeed Rotom-W, or even base 100 Speed Pokemon, (AC) after Icy Wind.

Usage Tips
========

Milotic should be paired with physical attackers. Opponents will have two choices: either deal with a +2 Milotic, or deal a physical attacker at normal power. Milotic can do lot of pressure damage on the field if it manages to get Competitive boost, and is also hard for the opponent to take down due the fact its also hard to take down aswell, making it scary threat. It typically sits tanking hits and firing STAB Scalds and ocassionaly Ice Beams and Icy Winds. Typically, Milotic should tank hits while using Scald and occasionally Ice Beam or Icy Wind. Milotic can either lead to hope to get Competitive boost if the opponent leads with an Intimidate Pokemon, or can be saved for late-game to finish off weakened targets. You can also switch Milotic into a predicted Icy Wind to get a Competitive boost.

Team Options
========

Pokemons that hates Intimidate are all good partners to Milotic. This means though almost every physical attacker, including so Milotic makes great partner of honestly almost every physical attacker in the game. Mega Kangaskhan, Mega Mawile, Mega Salamence, Landorus-T, and Talonflame...List goes on. Intimidate users also are also good partners, since because they help with Milotic's physical bulk. Arcanine deserves a special mention, since as it has good overall good type synergy with Milotic by typings alone, but it also and has Will-O-Wisp, Intimidate, (AC) and Snarl to make itself and Milotic really annoying to take down. Bulky Grass-types are great partners to Milotic; for example, aswell. Amoonguss can absorb Electric-type attacks aimed at Milotic. Milotic also has good synergy with Mega Venusaur. Mega Venusaur enjoys Icy Wind support from Milotic and Milotic beats Mega Salamence that threatens Milotic. Mega Venusaur also beats bulky Water-types, which Milotic do hates.

Other Options
########

Hydro Pump can be used to have a. It has chance to OHKO Mega Mawile and Mega Manectric after a Competitive boost, and it hits decently hard even without Competitive boost. It however has chance to miss, lacks burn chance, (AC) and has a lower PP. Hidden Power Fire can be used if Ferrothorn bothers you too much, while Hidden Power Grass can be used to hit opposing Water-types, but it's pretty weak. Safeguard and Light Screen can be used as well, but this role is better left for true support Pokemons like such as Cresselia. As weird as it sounds, Choice Scarf can be used on Milotic. Choice Scarf Milotic with a Timid nature can outspeed Landorus-T, Terrakion, Garchomp, (AC) and Mega Salamence and OHKO them all with either Hydro Pump or Ice Beam. A Wacan Berry can be used to weaken damage of one Electric-type move aimed at Milotic. In order to survive 2 two of Rotom's Thunderbolts, you Milotic needs 76 SpDef EVs.

Checks & Counters
########

**Bulky Grass-types**: Ludicolo, Ferrothorn, (AC) and Mega Venusaur gives really hard Milotic a really hard time for Milotic, since it because Milotic can't really hit them reliably. Ferrothorn and Mega Venusaur can just Leech Seed Milotic, avoiding Mirror Coat, (AC) by this and slowly KO kill it.

**Electric-types*: Thundurus and Rotoms can fire off powerful Thunderbolts at Milotic. Rotom-W is especially annoying, since as Milotic can't do anything against it if it Milotic lacks Hidden Power Grass or Mirror Coat.

**Preventing a Competitive Boost**: This can be done easily by just not bring Intimidate-user to match. Without a Competitive boost, Milotic can be dead weight if it can't hit super effectively.

**Sun**: Milotic hates sun, since as its Water-type moves are pretty weak in sun. Mega Charizard Y can hit really hard with Solar Beam, too, and is its also often paired with Grass-types.

**Powerful Physical Attacks**: Even with high amount of HP and Defense investment, Milotic doesn't enjoy powerful physical attacks such as like Mega Kangaskhan's Double Edge, Mega Mawile's Play Rough, (AC) and Talonflame's Brave Bird.

1/2

In the future, check out the spelling and grammar standards--they'll give you a lot of helpful tips to make the copyediting stage much less stressful for everyone!

Last edited:

P Squared

a great unrecorded history
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
2/2 :)
you missed a few things from the first check, so be careful implementing this one

Overview
########

Milotic has a nice tool in the form of Competitive, which allows Milotic to check Intimidate users Pokemon. 95 / 79 / 125 bulk, pure Water typing, and access to Recover make Milotic surprisingly hard to take down. While Milotic doesn't have a wide movepool, it's more than adequate for Milotic to fulfill its purpose on its team.

Anti-Intimidate Tank
########

Moves
========

Scald is a is STAB move and has a good chance to burn foes opponents. Ice Beam offers great coverage, hitting threats such as Landorus-T, Garchomp, and Salamence, as well as Grass-types super effectively while also having ability to hit Grass-types. Icy Wind, (comma) however, (comma) still hits targets with a 4x weakness to Ice hard, is a spread move, and offers Milotic the ability to provide speed control. Recover greatly increases Milotic's longetivity longevity, but it is unusable with Assault Vest. For the last slot, Protect is great option for Milotic to scout dangerous super effective attacks. On the other hand, Mirror Coat allows Milotic to annoy powerful threats such as Rotom-W and Thundurus.

Set Details
========

236 HP and 140 Defense EVs allow Milotic to live survive Adamant Mega Kangaskhan's Double-Edge, while 132 SpA Special Attack EVs and a Modest nature allow Milotic to hit as hard as possible. Leftovers increases Milotic's longevity, (remove comma) and works great with Recover. Sitrus Berry gives Milotic one-time healing, but in the long run it doesn't heal as much as Leftovers. With Assault Vest, Milotic can't use status moves, but it becomes is very specially bulky. If you use Assault Vest, Icy Wind and Mirror Coat should be used over Recover and Protect. You can also invest more into Speed if you want to outspeed Rotom-W, or even base 100 Speed Pokemon, after Icy Wind.

Usage Tips
========

Milotic should be paired with physical attackers. Opponents will have two choices: either deal with a +2 Milotic, (remove comma) or a physical attacker at normal power. Milotic can do lot of damage on the field if it manages to get a Competitive boost, and thanks to its great bulk, it is hard for opponents to take down. Typically, Milotic should tank hits while using Scald and occasionally Ice Beam or Icy Wind. Milotic can either lead for a potential to hope to get Competitive boost if the opponent leads with an Intimidate user Pokemon, or it can be saved for late-game to finish off weakened targets. You can also switch Milotic into a predicted Icy Wind to get a Competitive boost.

Team Options
========

Pokemon that hates hate Intimidate are good partners to Milotic; examples include. This means almost every physical attacker, including Mega Kangaskhan, Mega Mawile, Mega Salamence, Landorus-T, and Talonflame. Intimidate users are also good partners, because they help with patch up Milotic's physical bulk. Arcanine deserves a special mention, as it has overall good type synergy with Milotic and has access to Will-O-Wisp, Intimidate, and Snarl to make itself and Milotic really annoying to take down. Bulky-Grass types Bulky Grass-types are great partners to Milotic; for example, Amoonguss can absorb Electric-type attacks aimed at Milotic. Milotic also has good synergy with Mega Venusaur, which. Mega Venusaur enjoys Milotic's ability to provide Icy Wind support from Milotic and Milotic beats Mega Salamence. Mega Venusaur also beats bulky Water-types, which Milotic hates.

Other Options
########

Hydro Pump can be used to have give Milotic a chance to OHKO Mega Mawile and Mega Manectric after a Competitive boost, and it hits decently hard even without Competitive boost. It, (comma) however, (comma) has a chance to miss, cannot burn foes lacks burn chance, and has a lower PP. Hidden Power Fire can be used if Ferrothorn bothers your team you too much, while Hidden Power Grass can be used to hit opposing Water-types, but it's pretty weak. Safeguard and Light Screen can be used as well, but this role is better left for true support Pokemon such as Cresselia. As weird as it sounds, Choice Scarf can be used on Milotic. Choice Scarf Milotic with a Timid nature can outspeed Landorus-T, Terrakion, Garchomp, and Mega Salamence and OHKO them all with either Hydro Pump or Ice Beam. A Wacan Berry can be used to weaken the damage of one Electric-type move aimed at Milotic. With a Wacan Berry, 252 HP EVs, and 76 Special Defense EVs, Milotic can In order to survive two of Rotom-W's Thunderbolts, Milotic needs 76 SpDef EVs.

Checks & Counters
########

**Bulky Grass-types**: Ludicolo, Ferrothorn, and Mega Venusaur give Milotic a really hard time because Milotic can't hit them reliably. Ferrothorn and Mega Venusaur can just Leech Seed Milotic, avoiding, (remove comma) Mirror Coat, (comma) and slowly KO it.

**Electric-types*: Thundurus and Rotom can fire off powerful Thunderbolts at Milotic. Rotom-W is especially annoying, as Milotic can't do anything against it if Milotic lacks Hidden Power Grass or Mirror Coat.

**Preventing a Competitive Boost**: Without a Competitive boost, Milotic can be dead weight if it can't hit super effectively.

**Sun**: Milotic hates sun, as its Water-type moves are pretty weak in sun. Mega Charizard Y can hit really hard with Solar Beam, too, and is often paired with Grass-types.

**Powerful Physical Attacks**: Even with a high amount of HP and Defense investment, Milotic doesn't enjoy taking powerful physical attacks such as Mega Kangaskhan's Double-Edge, Mega Mawile's Play Rough, and Talonflame's Brave Bird.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)