2016/17 Soccer/Football Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
But you really have to feel for Moyes because that was a bit of a must win game for him too and he showed it by playing a strong team as well. Surely he's got the sack coming for him sooner rather than later after that result? How did Sunderland become so so bad lol?
1) Last-minute appointment of Moyes
2) Losing key players in Yedlin (loan, opt not to buy), M'Vila (loan, opt not to buy), Kaboul (sold for 3 mil)
3) Spending poorly (buying McNair, Ndong, Djilobodji, Donald Love, Janujaz-loan, Manquillo - loan) while relying on 35-year-old Defoe as the only striker
4) Injuries to key players (Mannone, Borini, Kirchoff, Clattermole ; not at the same time but sometimes they overlap)

Leeds? who?
Leeds United? We are playing them at Anfield in the Quarter-Finals.

Last edited:
Let's see, after 10 games in the EPL, we have Man City, Arsenal and Liverpool tied at 23 points, Chelsea at 22 points and Spurs at 20 points. Looks like every big team except Man Utd had made excellent starts so the race for Top 4 is still very open. In particular, Arsenal, Liverpool and Chelsea are picking up wins like no tomorrow, which is impressive. Man City are climbing out of a mini-slump while Spurs will have Kane back in a couple of weeks.

At the other end, we have Sunderland who has managed to gather an unimpressive 2 points from 10 games. Together with them in the relegation zone are Swansea and Hull who have 5 and 7 points respectively. It would take a brave man to bet against Sunderland going down (although the same has been said for the past God knows how many years)

destinyunknown

Banned deucer.
So I just checked the Bundesliga table and noticed Red Bulls Leipzig is at 3rd, just 2 points behind Bayern. Is it just good form or do they play great football? I have seriously never heard of this team before.
Many analysts had RB Leipzig as a top6 team prior to the start of the season, and they're looking like the second best team in the Bundesliga right now according to their performances, the fact that they're 2nd in the table as well is definitely no fluke.

Some people have said that they have spent a lot in transfers, and that's true (though it must be noted that half of the transfers came from RB Salzburg, so I wouldn't count that), but the money they spend is usually in young players. They're also known as being at the vanguard of clubs spending money in new training and analytics systems, which is also part of their success, plus they have a very talented coach.

As for the popularity thing, the 'traditional' media has been keen on trying to make them a 'villain' because they're a new club, and so they try to exaggerate headlines to give them a bad image. However, the fanbase of the club has been steadily increasing (their average attendance has more than doubled in the last 2 years), and it's worth mentioning that Leipzig is the only team from the former East Germany to be in the Bundesliga.

So yeah, they receive far more hate than they deserve, I am rooting for them.

Since Inter has been disappointing (and I mean more from an administrative standpoint than on how we played which was garbage but better than last year lol...) I have been trying to follow the Bundesliga (I really can't stand the Premier League unless there is Klopp or Guardian involved :c) and I have been really impressed positively by Hoffenheim in particular.

They have a 29 year old coach (Nagelsmann) which has courage and plays some nice direct football against any opponent and a couple of hype players like Kramaric and Sule that are very pleasant to watch. This new school of federal coaches that also includes Moenchengladbach's, Leverkusen's, BVB's, Mainz's and Freiburg's can really improve the overall quality of the league and the game in general and is quite fresh air from the conservativism that is still a plague for Britain and Italy (except rare cases like Juric/Gasperini, and Sarri or Giampaolo I guess).

What makes them "similar" in a sense is the fact that they never played football at a high level (only one of them has actually played in the Bundesliga and none played for the mannschaft) and they take a more objective look at the game with a focus on physical system and versatility during the game.
Also learned Werder Bremen and HSV are super terrible :((

GOAO

Banned deucer.
Since Inter has been disappointing (and I mean more from an administrative standpoint than on how we played which was garbage but better than last year lol...) I have been trying to follow the Bundesliga (I really can't stand the Premier League unless there is Klopp or Guardian involved :c) and I have been really impressed positively by Hoffenheim in particular.

They have a 29 year old coach (Nagelsmann) which has courage and plays some nice direct football against any opponent and a couple of hype players like Kramaric and Sule that are very pleasant to watch. This new school of federal coaches that also includes Moenchengladbach's, Leverkusen's, BVB's, Mainz's and Freiburg's can really improve the overall quality of the league and the game in general and is quite fresh air from the conservativism that is still a plague for Britain and Italy (except rare cases like Juric/Gasperini, and Sarri or Giampaolo I guess).

What makes them "similar" in a sense is the fact that they never played football at a high level (only one of them has actually played in the Bundesliga and none played for the mannschaft) and they take a more objective look at the game with a focus on physical system and versatility during the game.
Also learned Werder Bremen and HSV are super terrible :((
Nice job paying for Gabriel Barbosa lmao!! Hes not 1/2 of what mídia says he is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)