2016/17 Soccer/Football Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
A huge derby tomorrow. A must win for the Arsenal. Can make some good separation from City and Spurs and get Chelsea the fuck out of the top spot.

Ugh the struggle. Sure I love how the squad is looking but Spurs are so dangerous. Please fucking come out hot like the Utd and Chelsea match.

How are Spurs dangerous? They look toothless in attack without Kane and was lucky to escape with a point at Anfield because of a wrong offside decision and an awful mistake from our defenders.

I believe Kane is back for tomorrow. They match up really well with us, they made City look like a joke and these meetings are always a rugby match.

No matter how good Arsenal seem, Spurs aren't as far behind as everyone tries to convince themselves they are. IMO.

We'll see.

Karius looks settled. Unlucky to not get a clean sheet but whatever, 3 points are in the bag.
Let's hope we can keep this up and see what happens. Coutinho, Firmino and Mane are so good as a front 3.

Can't see how Liverpool don't win the league. As long as they stay injury free. Quality depth isn't there.

They're electric though. Who cares about defense when you score like they do.

Zlatan banned from Arsenal match. Oooooo. Blessing in disguise tbh.

shade

be sharp, say nowt
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
couldn't pick a title winner from the top 4, this title race should be the best one we have ever seen.

chelsea look irresistible at the moment, conte really looks like he has found the best formation and his best team. he's got hazard firing as well and when he is on fire he is really hard to stop. arsenal (still) lack a top quality striker but i guess that shouldn't really matter considering liverpool are top of the league without starting a recognised striker. really impressed with the strength in depth arsenal have, ox/ramsey/giroud coming off the bench in the north london derby and cool youngsters like alex iwobi really make them an attractive prospect.

HBK

Subtlety is my middle name
couldn't pick a title winner from the top 4, this title race should be the best one we have ever seen.

chelsea look irresistible at the moment, conte really looks like he has found the best formation and his best team. he's got hazard firing as well and when he is on fire he is really hard to stop. arsenal (still) lack a top quality striker but i guess that shouldn't really matter considering liverpool are top of the league without starting a recognised striker. really impressed with the strength in depth arsenal have, ox/ramsey/giroud coming off the bench in the north london derby and cool youngsters like alex iwobi really make them an attractive prospect.
Yes, we are playing quite well and the 3-4-3 works for us, but only with Hazard, Costa and Pedro up front, Matic and Kante in the middle, Moses and Alonso as the wingbacks and Azpi, Luiz and Cahill as the CBs. While we do have Zouma as a good back up, we're an injury or two away from barely qualifying for CL. Like when we lost against West Ham, the 3-4-3 just didn't work with the likes of Batman, Aina, Chalobah, etc. so the title really is anyone's game, especially at this point in the season.

Rowan

The professor?
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
This title race is already super exciting, it's so unpredictable. I still think it'll be City>Liverpool>Chelsea>Arsenal though. I still don't think Arsenal are playing quite to the level as the other 3 are, and I feel City's superior depth in squad will be a deciding factor. Having said that, if they progress well in the Champions League, that might affect them, compared to Liverpool and Chelsea's less busy schedule, and I believe going all out vs Barca in the week, might have contributed to them being less on the ball vs Boro.

I only saw the MOTD highlights, but Leicester looked terrible vs West Brom. Really sloppy play, and just looked like they were tired and outclassed. Champions League is really affecting our league form, but as I've said before, CL QF and 17th is a good season.

I only saw the MOTD highlights, but Leicester looked terrible vs West Brom. Really sloppy play, and just looked like they were tired and outclassed. Champions League is really affecting our league form, but as I've said before, CL QF and 17th is a good season.
I think you guys are sacrificing the league for a decent run in the CL, seeing as it's unlikely that you guys will have another season like that. I mean, your squad isn't exactly the biggest so going all-out in the CL has already left you adrift of the top 4. Are you guys happy with slipping to mid-table for a run in the CL (possibly Last 16 or Quarters)?

shade

be sharp, say nowt
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
leicester are always gonna be up against it because they lost their best player (kante) and didn't really buy any top quality. that slimani looks decent but i'm not entirely sure it is what they needed, at least now we can hopefully stop pretending that danny drinkwater is good at football. i'm glad leicester smashed their CL group though, that is really cool - even though it is probably the weakest group in the history of the CL. danny simpson is still terrible. don't think leicester will go down, but i could see anyone in the current bottom 10 (except west ham and stoke) going down if the results go that way.

gonna be a good season.

Moyes wasn't on the sidelines, Sunderland win...
Much the same with Mourinho! A worthy successor so far :P

I think Leicester are doing exactly the right thing by prioritising the CL. When all the other title chasing teams have appointed superstar managers and are spending £150m+ on players while you've lost your best midfielder to a title rival, it's only logical to assume that realistically you probably won't win it twice in a row. Add to that the fact that Leicester were guaranteed an 'easier' CL group because of the new seeding and I think it's very clever for Raneiri to give the club and fans a good go at the CL especially with a good chance to finish first which might see them do a 'Wales' and end up going surprisingly far. It's a good gamble to take and it's paying off so far imo.

Maybe I'm overrating our players but our back-ups in attack for today are Sturridge, Wijnaldum and Origi. I think that's pretty decent.
Thats your good back ups right there.

Title race looks up between Chelsea, Man City, Liverpool, and Arsenal with Tottenham nipping at everyone's heels. Aside from Sunderland, not sure who goes down as well. Should be exciting

Argentina looks so average lol. They're essentially a 2-man team with Mascherano in defence and Messi in attack. Everyone else went hiding and even Messi didn't touch the ball for long periods of time.

Gabriel Jesus is really good too.

Why is international break so boring? All the hype is Thomas Muller saying what we all feel about the world champions playing one of the worst teams in the world and everyone loving san marino's response. If Muller plays a game for bayern in the league and gets hurt possibly a three month injury in a bundesliga game yeah it sucks and bayern might be a little mad but its in a game that matters against good competition. Same injury against San Marino in a game where they win 8-0 and Germany can play their back up goalkeeper who will require a coach to keep him moving so he doesn't get stiff is way more infuriating.

International breaks only serve to break up our momentum and cause us to lose players to injuries / fatigue. Lallana and Henderson are now doubts after sustaining injuries in a meaningless friendly game.

GOAO

Banned deucer.
International break is cool because I can see Neymar, Coutinho and Jesus attacking together.

Rowan

The professor?
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
International break is cool because I can see Neymar, Coutinho and Jesus attacking together.
I imagine south american break is better since their world cup qualifying, they have to play teams who are at similar levels. Watching your team playing teams like Malta and only playing good teams in friendlies is just boring

I imagine south american break is better since their world cup qualifying, they have to play teams who are at similar levels. Watching your team playing teams like Malta and only playing good teams in friendlies is just boring
You can tell that european wc qualifiers are a joke because the friendly games that nobody really cares about and fringe national team players are playing in are more exciting than the games that matter for the world cup

GOAO

Banned deucer.
yea we actually like it lol, playing vs argentina, uruguay, chile, etc..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)