2016/17 Soccer/Football Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nearly everyone expects United to win the title, they're at the top in almost every fan's predictons, but after watching Mourinho's first game in charge of United in it's entirety, I feel like they won't win it unless every other top team challenging for the title has a defensive crisis, like when we last won the title despite being average to below average in attack for most of the season. And watching them yesterday, I felt like I was watching our team from the second half of that season, and last season, without the leaky back four. United kept passing the ball around as if they were already defending a lead, creating only half chances at best and Bournemouth gradually grew into the game until a stupid back pass led to the goal that gave United the lead. I just get the feeling that Mourinho hasn't changed his negative tactics, or his boring formula. That being said, I am aware that the season has only just begun and one game is too little to go on.
Manchester could be the right town to win the title. But I don't know if City or United will do it.

Lol at the Arsenal fans that are freaking out over this result.. did the entire preseason and lack of transfers not prepare you for this result and the beginning of the season?

Grow up.

We all expected this or should have. The front office doesn't care so we get what we get on the field. No preparations at all. The lineup was hilarious and showed how much we aren't growing compared to all the other clubs, it was amusing to finally see it on a lineup card.

And to say "half your players are missing...inexperienced back line"

There's a reason for that lol..lack of preparation and incentive on the pitch. Just owners pockets.

I think Manchester United just lacks a player who can give them structure in the midfield which is the main reason why they won't win the title. I think someone like Xhaka (or Kroos or Verratti but they probably wouldn't be able to get one of those two) would've been a great transfer for them. I'm also not a fan of Mourinho but that's more just my personal feeling. I see Chelsea with Conte and City with Pep above them but let's see if they can prove me wrong.

I think Manchester United just lacks a player who can give them structure in the midfield which is the main reason why they won't win the title. I think someone like Xhaka (or Kroos or Verratti but they probably wouldn't be able to get one of those two) would've been a great transfer for them. I'm also not a fan of Mourinho but that's more just my personal feeling. I see Chelsea with Conte and City with Pep above them but let's see if they can prove me wrong.
They have Fellaini, they are set

HBK

Subtlety is my middle name
Phew, Costa really saved us today, but I'm still disappointed; little seems to have changed, we still had the majority of the possession, weren't threatening enough in attack, and failed to kill the game off once we somehow went ahead. All this better change.

Just joined the fantasy league, gutted to be a week behind cause I would be 3rd :( Impressed with Chelsea, looking like a proper team again; could easily win the league this year. Think it's gonna be so close

Fellaini is a good as a Target Man (second striker) and mainly as a Plan B for when the team is losing and can't create chances. When will he stop being played as a midfielder? He's awful at that position...
He was phenomenal for Everton as like a no. 10 target man type player; he's good at holding up the ball as well as in the air, but he's a sloppy defender and passer which means he's just outclassed by every other midfielder...

west ham united the acca ruiners, fuck sake man
not at all surprising considering they put out a worse formation than the one that didn't even attempt playing football on monday against Chelsea, they will probably get to group stages anyways (sadly for italian ranking). Saying not surprising because the PL really puts a strain on most teams that don't really have depth in most roles since the economic incentive is just much higher than qualifying ti group stage :/

Happy that Sassuolo absolutely trashed Crvena Zvevda however so that's cool (not so cool for one of the best teams in Europe not so long ago)

sergey

Banned deucer.
Lokomotiva did a pretty impressive job vs genk considering its literally dinamo zagreb's b team so thats pretty cool, although theres absolutely 0 chance they will go through vs genk considering the 2 goals they conceded at home but i can dream :D! Also Hajduk played surprisingly well vs Macabbi unfortunate that they got destroyed by 1 player and missed a huge chance but they impressed me a lot and might have a shot in the 2nd leg especially with the away goal. Thirdly, Dinamo Zagreb played like absolute shit vs Salzburg and only drew because luck, the odds of us playing in the ucl this year are super slim as we just lost pjaca to Juventus which absolutely sucked but the kid is making progress in his career so thats pretty cool, and we'll need massive amounts of luck to beat a solid Salzburg side, however we are probably better off going into the Europa League and potentially making it out of the group stages in Europe for the first time in like 20 years than playing in the CL again and grabbing a point or 2 and embarrassing ourselves in the process (the 7:1 loss to Lyon of all teams still stings a lot :[). Although beating Arsenal was lit fuck Wenger

Last edited:
So Pato is back in a top european league and scored in the first leg of Villareal's match. Any chance he thrives in a more technical league like he did in Italy?

HBK

Subtlety is my middle name
Omg, I can't believe we did it again......Batman really deserves to start the next game, he's hungry and energetic, exactly what we need right now considering that in the first half and in the first half of the second half, we looked exactly like we did last season. Cesc too deserves and spot in the starting line up for the next game, he was at his creative best and looked nothing like the passenger from last season. What's also unbelievable is Burnley beating Liverpool LMAO

destinyunknown

Banned deucer.
meanwhile... 80% possession and 26 shots on goal for Liverpool
they lose 2-0 :D
I mean shooting 20 times from 30-40 metres isn't exactly good. Liverpool had like 2 decent chances despite their high shot volume. Burnley didnt deserve to score, but Liverpool wasn't that great offensively either.

Most impressive thing about Hull isn't the wins, but that they totally outplayed Swansea today, blimey.

Did anybody watch Roma-Udinese btw? Hearing it was total destruction despite the 'modest' 4-0 score.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)