1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. Click here to ensure that you never miss a new SmogonU video upload!

Online Competition 2017 No Holds Barred

Discussion in 'Cartridge Formats' started by cant say, Aug 1, 2017.

1. cant say

cant say Banned juicer.
    is a Tutoris a member of the Site Staffis an official Team Rateris a Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Battle Server Moderator
    Battle Spot Leader

[​IMG]

RULES:
    • Bring 6, pick 3 Singles
    • all Pokemon become level 100
    • NO species clause
    • NO item clause
    • Pokemon transferred from older games are legal
    • The following Pokemon are banned: Mewtwo, Lugia, Ho-Oh, Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza, Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, Arceus, Reshiram, Zekrom, Kyurem, Xerneas, Yveltal, Solgaleo, Lunala. Everything else is legal.
    tagging The Immortal to hopefully get the ladder up asap!

PGL page:
    https://3ds-sp.pokemon-gl.com/information/9602e82f-cd2d-4944-acbc-8227d90f9847
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
  2. RBG

RBG Trying to get my Smods back D:
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Live Chat Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Skymin in Gen VII lets go!
  3. Arcticblast

Arcticblast Ultra Ball off of Abyssal Hand for Lele for Guzma for game
    is a Smogon Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion

THREE ZYGARDE COMPLETE
    Linkin Karp, Gradeus, Drew and 8 others like this.
  4. Leader Wallace

Leader Wallace

A Battle Spot version of Anything Goes? This will be interesting. Few Questions: Pokemon automatically become lv.100 right? No need to level them up right? What are some good Pokemon to use multiple copies of? Interesting note: This is the first SM online competitions to allow mega stones.
    Shaymin returns to land form if you put in the PC...
  5. Ninjaofquest

Ninjaofquest

So exactly how powerful would Marshadow (given that people may or may not have it) turn out to be in this meta? And what exactly would I be able to use against it since I can't get it here in America?
  6. RBG

is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Live Chat Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

They changed it in Gen VII (along with Hoppa Unbound), so that it reverts when you withdraw it, not when you deposit it.
  7. Leader Wallace

Leader Wallace

It looks really promising, since it has an amazing speed tier and unreisisted STAB. One answer could be Tapu Koko, since it's faster and can hit it super effectively.
    I didn't know that. Thanks.
  8. Arcticblast

Arcticblast Ultra Ball off of Abyssal Hand for Lele for Guzma for game
    is a Smogon Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion

update: FIVE ZYGARDE COMPLETE and an Aegislash because I need an Ice resist somwhere

dream team (open)

Zygarde @ Groundium Z
    Ability: Power Construct
    Level: 50
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Adamant Nature
    - Dragon Dance
    - Thousand Arrows
    - Outrage
    - Extreme Speed

Zygarde @ Dragonium Z
    Adamant Nature
    - Dragon Dance
    - Thousand Arrows
    - Outrage
    - Extreme Speed

Zygarde @ Yache Berry
    Adamant Nature
    - Dragon Dance
    - Thousand Arrows
    - Outrage
    - Extreme Speed

Zygarde @ Mago Berry
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
    Impish Nature
    - Dragon Dance
    - Thousand Arrows
    - Rock Slide
    - Glare

Zygarde @ Leftovers
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Jolly Nature
    - Dragon Dance
    - Thousand Arrows
    - Substitute
    - Protect

Aegislash @ Leftovers
    Ability: Stance Change
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
    Quiet Nature
    IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
    - King's Shield
    - Substitute
    - Toxic
    - Shadow Ball
    Linkin Karp, Ullar and cant say like this.
  9. eddiefiv

eddiefiv

Well this has to be the most interesting format they've released. I'm guessing the mons to beat would be Mega Salamence, Marshadow, Complete Zygarde and Deoxys. Probably plays similarly to OU but with a few Ubers mixed in.

Something that immediately comes to mind are the mindgames that can be made by taking two different versions of three different Pokemon that can have multiple distinct sets to make it nearly impossible to play around effectively. Two each of Salamence, Celesteela and Tapu Koko would do the trick.
  10. Vif-Argent

Vif-Argent

The last cycle of SM begins : all Mega Stones available and allowed, coming back to Singles, crazy rules with some legendaries in the place.
    Time to bring my Marshadow and have some fun !
  11. Moose And Goose

Moose And Goose

Here's a list of legendary pokemon minus the ones we can't use for the competition (from bulbapedia)
    Show Hide
    Articuno • Zapdos • Moltres • Mew
    Raikou • Entei • Suicune • Celebi • Regirock • Regice • Registeel • Latias • Latios
    Jirachi • Deoxys
    Uxie • Mesprit • Azelf • Heatran • Regigigas • Cresselia • Phione* • Manaphy • Darkrai • Shaymin
    Victini • Cobalion • Terrakion • Virizion • Tornadus • Thundurus • Landorus • Keldeo • Meloetta • Genesect
    Zygarde • Diancie • Hoopa • Volcanion
    Tapu Koko • Tapu Lele • Tapu Bulu • Tapu Fini • Cosmog • Cosmoem • Necrozma • Magearna • Marshadow
    cant say likes this.
  12. Siggu

Siggu

So Battle Spot Singles without Item Clause and with Mythicals? Interesting.

(Also, no Species Clause? That's really big)
  13. lino49

lino49

omg what will this metagame look like lmao
  14. Mijzelffan

Mijzelffan

Here's hoping the diancite gets released before this competition starts, seems like it would be an interesting mon to use in this meta.
  15. ethan06

ethan06 ⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
    is a Community Contributor Alumnus

also, here's hoping that marshadow gets released worldwide, bc wouldn't that suck :/

ngl i've been wanting a bss format with mythicals included for a long long time so i'm really keen for this format. magearna in particular seems like something i'd be really keen to look at as a blanket check to a lot of the things that are allowed in this format, such as genesect, hoopa, diancie, darkrai sorta, necrozma celebi etcetc. if anyone overreacts to the presence of marshadow and brings a scarf lele then magearna will punish that too. zygarde-complete and the deoxys formes will be broken, as will marshadow, so i'd imagine that most teams would need a bulky answer to cope with that pokemon. a particularly cool pick that i can think of would be tapu koko, for its ability to hard check keldeo, manaphy, hoopa i guess, skymin, darkrai (by blocking sleep and outspeeding) and marshadow (again, by being a faster fairy-type). seriously, 130 is such a fantastic speed tier for this competition and tapu koko has all the needed tools to make it work, at least in theory.

getting back to zygarde for a second, i feel like thousand arrows will have to be considered on every team that wants to do well. bug stab could be useful in this format for catching the numerous psychics (not to mention darkrai) offguard so i'd say that something like mega heracross or yanmega could potentially be useful here. old mate skymin will be by far and away the most common 1karrows switch-in tho.

e: btw baton pass is dead pretty much purely because of spectral thief lmao
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
    Jibaku and cant say like this.
  16. KCN

KCN

[​IMG]

I tried it. It's not very good.
    JES, Old Greg, locoghoul and 2 others like this.
  17. RBG

Ash-Greninja is legal
  18. Vif-Argent

Vif-Argent

19. Rarycaris

Rarycaris

Seems like Japanese players have a significant advantage in this competition, given that only they can have access to Marshadow's Z-move.
    JES likes this.
  20. Siggu

Siggu

Unless Marshadow is sneaking around this month for us. Not likely given how the japanese event was handled but who knows?

So... from the looks of it, which Pokemon are viable to run all together?

The first thing that comes to my head right now is that disgusting 6 Deoxys-Attack offense from AG (though I cannot pull it off as I only have one and it's still in Alpha Sapphire), with the possibility of swapping one with a Tapu Lele with a Terrain Extender, I guess.
  21. Jibaku

Jibaku Who let marco in here????
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Live Chat Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion

Anyone else wanna spam Glare and Swagger + Spectral Thief?
    cant say, ThickFatAzumarill and NOVED like this.
  22. Zukrad

Zukrad

Is 3v3, so you don't have to run 4-5 Deoxys. Running Tapu Lele and 2 Deoxys should be enough, which gives you space for stuff like Father, Marshadow and Magearna
  23. Siggu

Siggu

... good point, so I'd only need a second Deoxys. And some Caps as I've ran out of them.

(And what are you calling "Father", by the way?)
  24. Zukrad

Zukrad

Show Hide

[​IMG]
    SovereignC2 and FaHizzleWizzle like this.
  25. BlazingBarrager

BlazingBarrager

Ooooooooooh I've been waiting for this for YEARS. Thank you GameFreak!

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)