Other "2nd Gen" Stall

Discussion in 'BW Other Teams' started by imcooked, Dec 7, 2012.

1. imcooked

imcooked

Greetings all! I shall be partaking in a Pokemon tournament at my college using Pokemon Online/Showdown, but the rules are a little strange. First off, we can only use Pokemon from the first 2 Generations (meaning everything but Mewtwo, Ho-oh, and Lugia from Kanto and Johto). However, we can use items/moves/abilities/whatever from ANY generation. The other notable change is that we can use up to 2 of the same Pokemon as well!

With these rules in mind (as well as the knowledge that I may or may not have any competition at all), I had to come up with a Pokemon team. I noted that 3 Weather starters are present, as well as some of their best abusers. There are a lot of strong Psychic types as well, with very few Steel and Dark types to counter them (as well as very few Ghost types). There aren't many Spikes users as well, and Fighting types couldn't do much....well, I'll leave you all to think a bit more about this strange metagame as I show you all the team I have built to conquer it:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Gengar @ Leftovers
    Levitate
    4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature
    - Substitute
    - Disable
    - Shadow Ball
    - Focus Blast

Standard SubDisable Gengar can single-handedly wreck entire teams, in particular ones from my metagame. My favorite Pokemon is an annoyer that helps me scout and forces tons of switches, hopefully onto Spikes and Stealth Rock. On that note, Gengar is one of two usable Ghost types in the tier (the other obviously being Misdreavus), and is rather important to have around with a decent amount of Rapid Spinners and the Spikes stacking strategy. It outspeeds just enough to be a major threat and is powerful enough to take down major threats itself.

[​IMG]
    Skarmory @ Leftovers
    Sturdy
    252 HP / 232 Def / 24 Spd
    Impish
    - Spikes
    - Roost
    - Whirlwind
    - Brave Bird

Another standard, but also very important in being one of the only Spikes users in the tier as well as one of the only Steel types. Physically Defensive Skarmory better compliments Blissey, and the 24 Speed EVs are to ensure I outrun Wobbuffet's Encore. Skarmory's job is simple: set Spikes, be a tank, and Whirlwind out stat-upping threats. He does a great job at doing this.

[​IMG]
    Blissey @ Leftovers
    Natural Cure
    4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
    Calm
    - Stealth Rock
    - Toxic
    - Softboiled
    - Seismic Toss

SkarmBliss isn't complete without Blissey, who serves as the Special Wall of the team and the best answer I have to the fast, strong Electric types of the tier. Stealth Rock is necessary, and Toxic wears down anything not getting hit by Spikes. It may not hit hard, but it plays several roles on the team that make it a necessary evil (I hate Blissey/Chansey...).

[​IMG]
    Slowbro @ Leftovers (get the idea?)
    Regenerator
    252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
    Bold
    - Scald
    - Psychic
    - Ice Beam
    - Slack Off

Once I built the core part of the team, I decided that Slowbro would be an excellent pivot to provide additional support to the SkarmBliss duo that would be setting down hazards and stalling. Slowbro can definitely take a hit and then heal it back with Slack Off and/or Regenerator, while also posing a significant threat with its three attacking moves. Slowbro is one of the team's best answers to threats made better in this metagame such as Crobat and Arcanine, and provides a backup for Skarmory. Slowbro has been clutch so far, but only (it seems) for his bulk.

[​IMG]
    Magneton @ Eviolite
    Magnet Pull
    4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spd
    Timid
    - Substitute
    - Charge Beam
    - Thunderbolt
    - Hidden Power [Ice]

Certainly seems strange to run a Magneton, but why not? Magnet Pull is incredible, and it helps eliminate threats such as Skarmory, Scizor, and Forretress while hopefully statting up behind a Substitute. I like the idea of having two Steel types in a metagame dominated by strong, Psychic types, but this also provides an answer to many Electric types threatening Skarmory and Slowbro. The surprisingly bulky Magneton can also catch people by surprise by sweeping, as it becomes super-powerful and somewhat fast after a couple of Charge Beams with a Substitute up.

[​IMG]
    Heracross @ Choice Scarf
    Moxie
    4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Adamant
    - Close Combat
    - Megahorn
    - Stone Edge
    - Earthquake

What would the team be without a great revenge killer and sweeper like Heracross? Many games are won simply by setting up Heracross to finish off everything in the end, and it makes a great check to Pokemon who think they'll outspeed him. The coverage, the EVs, and the item should be pretty understandable. Heracross wins games.

That's the team, leave some comments below with your thoughts on how I should approach the metagame. There is still Team Preview, and all clauses except Species Clause will be enforced. What are the major threats and do I cover them well, in your opinion? Is Stall the best way to go? Thanks for the reading and rate everyone!
  2. evillocke

evillocke

On Heracross, Moxie > Guts. For every kill he gets, his attack raises. That plus choice scarf.... Replace sleep talk with Earthquake. Other than that, looking good.
  3. imcooked

imcooked

Thanks, I will try that out! I guess Sleep Talk would really only work well against something like Jynx or Parasect in this tier, but Jynx is a risky switch-in. Any other comments from anyone? I know it's a weird 'tier' to be playing in...

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)