1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

300th post movie premiere extravaganza!

Discussion in 'Smogon's Greatest Hits' started by Fish, Jun 26, 2007.

1. Fish

Fish
    is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Obviously, this is my 300th post. In accordance with milestone post standards, I will begin with a bit of history.

This is the 14th post I made on the Smogon forums. In it, I claim that I will soon be making some sort of silly live action Pokemon movie with my friends. Now, I consider myself to be a man of my word, but I'll be the first to admit I am far from punctual, as evident by the post date. Actually, the filming and a lot of the editing was done last summer, but the remaining process proved very difficult to get completed for various reasons. However! It is done and up for all to see! This wonderful piece stars Shea and myself, with Jimmy and Tom guest starring. Additionally, many thanks to Nobie for picking up the editing where a less-than-reliable friend left off so we could finally have it done today.

So, here it is! Not-so-many thanks to Youtube for silently taking their Directors' ability to post videos longer than ten minutes in length. Sadly, I had to break it into two which really ruins the flow.

Part 1
    Part 2

I ask that everyone who watches it to give me feedback and constructive criticisms. Obviously, take it as it is; a silly and fun thing to do with friends about Pokemon. However, we want to do another one this summer and we know damn well we messed up a bunch of stuff. Before I go spelling that out here, I want to see what other people think needs improvement. Feel free to be harsh, in fact in encourage it. Enjoy!

ps this is still firebot lol
  2. Sir Spanky

Sir Spanky

I nearly switched off after realising the first 3 minutes was just you guys playing games on the sofa, but I gave it some time and then was pleasantly surprised when I got to the next scene!

Was very good, nice work heh. Only watched the first one so far but it made me laugh quite a lot - some of the costumes were hilarious xd

EDIT: ahahahahahaha goldeen
  3. BAIKA

BAIKA
    is a Past SPL Winner

hahaha that was awesome good job and congrats on the 300th post
  4. cookie

cookie Administrator
    is a Super Moderatoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
    Soc. Forums Leader

Alakazam kinda sucked to be honest, with the paper face and all, but Muk was pretty good and Cacturne's voice made me laugh.

Hitmonlee and Electrode was fucking awesome, hands down. Hitmonlee's costume, Electrode hitting Hitmonlee on the head and Explosion lol I'm still laughing

awesome work dude.
  5. DM

DM Ce soir, on va danser.
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnus

FUCK why do I have to be at work where I can't watch this!!!

DMMMMMM WANTS THE FINISHED PRODUCT
  6. Sheaziken

Sheaziken

Hi I'm famous actor Sheax0r. You may remember me from such films as "Fish gone wild caught on tape: Spring Break edition" and the soon to be infamous "Pokemon Dreams" where I played my most challenging role ever, Pokemon trainer #2.

Honestly this movie was a blast to make, easilly worth the sunburn which plagued my days thereafter. The costumes turned out alot better than I expected, and that credit falls on Jimmy and Fish, mainly Jimmy with his artistic abilities.

It took us roughly 42 matches to actually get electrode to ignite, and twice as many attempts to get all of the "pin missiles" to actually hit Jimmy in the face.

This was pretty much all Fish with this movie, that being said I'm glad to have been able to take part in something like this that will surely go down in the annals of Pokemon and Smogon's history books.

Edit: No gold fish were harmed....er.. killed during the making of this film.
  7. Doomsday

Doomsday
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

alright the first part was aweosme lol, but you should reduce the time where you are all drinking beer and playing mario party, 3 minutes is too much!
    muk was funny and cacturne's voice made me chuckle, but the best part was when alakazam it itself!!

also was I the only one who noticed and laughed at the tags:

Tags: Pokemon Movie Dream Smogon Fish Cheebs Darck Charley Cacturne Muk Goldeen

EDIT: alright the 2nd part had me rolling. the electrode explosion rocked lol, also the MEGA KICK. this is a brilliant movie, congratulations fishy!
  8. gene

gene GENE
    is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL + WCoP Winner

Yeah the first 3 minutes drag, but the rest is great. Muk was just hilarious.
  9. AJers

AJers <b>Your typical e-wench</b>

lmao, I laughed so hard about the fish, Poor goldfish.

but yeah, concurring with everyone else here, the beginning kinda dragged, but it picked up pretty fast after that.

And, congrats on your posts. At this rate, I'll be ahead of you in no time.
  10. Judgement

Judgement
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

That was great. The first 3 minutes dragged a little but the rest was awesome.
  11. ryubahamut

ryubahamut
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

awesome movie! the goldeen part, the hipmonlee CH and the electrode explosion had me rolling!! grats buddy! *waits for post 400*
  12. Arceus

Arceus

It's hilarious. Now I want to make my own now. You've inspired me.

How did you do the special effects? The white flashes, returns, psychic, etc.

EDIT // I've watched it all the way through now. It's hilarious, (particularly the part with the Goldeen) but I've got a few criticisms. Don't take anything I say personally. The camera cuts were kind of awkward at times (not the break between the two parts, but when the camera would cut to show a different perspective), and at some points you could see where the cut was a bit late and it appeared that the actors had froze. The wind in the background was distracting, and the voices were not very clear, making it hard to make out at times with background noise. Plus, the character lines seemed forced. By the way, if you really want to do it seriously, look on some sites to find out how to make furry costumes. I made a suit once and it only cost me about twenty dollars to make the head, but it turned out extraordinarily realistic.
  13. DM

DM Ce soir, on va danser.
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnus

Damn, I might be the only person who enjoyed the beginning when they're all shooting the shit and getting drunk.
  14. Bry_Guy

Bry_Guy

I'm all the gayer now because of this.

Great movie dude
  15. West

West

Awesome as I skipped the first three minutes :D
  16. Tmnt Boy

Tmnt Boy

"What the fuck this is rby psychic hurts everything alakazam is god." and the goldeen part was awsome. Pretty funny. The first 3 minutes looked like me and my friends.
  17. Ugly_Duckling

Ugly_Duckling

Ugly_Duckling's critic review of "Pokemon Dreams," directed by Jason Fisher-Short:

Plot-

Our story begins with four happy-go-lucky gentlemen enjoying themselves over beer and video games. (In other words, living the life.) However, we are thrown through a loop when the main character (Fisher-Short) falls into a deep slumber...

Acting-

Jim Webber (Jimmy, Hitmonlee, Alakazam): Jim kept me on the edge of my seat with his brilliant performance as the superstar Pokemon Hitmonlee. His facial expressions were a tad rigid, yet simplistically effective.

Shea Miller (PkMn Trainer Shea): Miller's masterfully crafted performance as PkMn Trainer Shea portrayed the trials and tribulations many must conquer to become the best there ever was.

Thomas Horan (Tom, Cacturne, Muk): As Tom, Horan is the "comedy relief" character, so-to-speak. However, he also took up the roles of Muk and Cacturne. His fluid motions as Muk and his rough, almost violent portrayal of Cacturne give me more than enough reason to put this movie as one of the top-10 of '07.

Jason Fisher-Short (PkMn Trainer Fish): Fisher-Short's interpretation of PkMn Trainer Fish's uncanny ability to come through even at the bleakest of situations brings tears to my eyes. He does it in that well-to-be, in-movies-only, honorable, artful way that makes his character truly stand out and kind of admirable.

Electrode (as himself): Electrode's perserverence and will to go on was truly exemplified through his memorable performance in "Pokemon Dreams."

Goldfish (as himself): Goldfish's mystique and complexity give it almost the bitter ruggedness of an old haggard, yet the soft and gentle appearance of a kind soul. Which of the two is he truly? We should look forward to finding out in any possible sequels. Goldfish offers one of the most dynamic performances of '07.

Special Effects-

My props go out to the technicians behind these dazzling displays of potentially dangerous and distastrous FX. This movie is truly a treat for the eyes.

Overall Review-

While the movie does have its shortcomings (such as the lack of a strong female performance), it more than makes up for them with Fisher-Short's heartwarming directing, the cast's impeccable acting, and the crew's brilliant FX work.

Score-

[​IMG]
  18. Mekkah

Mekkah
    is a Super Moderatoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
    Super Moderator

This is the best "irl Pokemon battle" video's I've seen, but some scenes between the action took kinda long. However, that's easily compensated by the tons of references ("I like shorts! They're comfy and easy to wear!" "Is this a challenge?") and the greatness of the costumes.

10/10 definitely
  19. mirza

mirza

Yeah, definantly one of the best poke irl vids I've seen. The first three minutes were boring but after that, it's pretty good. The only thing that I didn't like would be the scenes inbetween action like Mekkah pointed out, but overall it was pretty good.

9/10
  20. Misty

Misty oh
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

I watched this back before the SFX and I have to say, I really liked the "? ?" on Alakazam and the "CRITICAL HIT" parts now :O
  21. Shen

Shen

Awesome stuff, really funny. I guess my only real problem was the sound in parts, went from loud to quiet a couple of times, distance from the mic or whatever. Quality effort though
  22. SSBM roy

SSBM roy

I enjoyed the whole thing, but my favorite part had to be Electrode double-edging Hitmonlee in the face. Seeing every new pokemon was a laugh, although I was expecting sleep and freeze clause to be broken somehow.
  23. Hazerider

Hazerider

I couldn't stop laughing when Hitmonlee kicked Cacturne in the face and the mask went flying.

Edit: on a more important subject, what happened to the goldfish
  24. Kumar

Kumar
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

This made my day. Very awesome, right from the beginning. (fuck you losers who think the first 3 minutes sucked you have never had friends over and get bored while playing video games). Props to Fish and Co. for doing this :)

Also, UD's review brought a smile on my face.
  25. theamericandream38

theamericandream38

excellent work dude, my favorite part was electrode and hitmonlee. What was electrode made out of? Overall this was an awesome movie.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)