350 Cup

another thing is clefables calm mind set (calm mind, moonblast, flamethrower, softboiled bold nature max def and hp evs) is from my expirience a very great set(i prefer it over cosmicbeam because it has better overall coverage, and has more initial power on the get go), and i agree clefairy should definatly be on the viablity list.
Before the Spritzee ban Clefairy was more or less outclassed as an attacker( wasn't really that much because of Magic Guard and better coverage), cleric and wall but now it fits a lot of holes that the Spritzee ban made, there are a lot of clerics in this meta, well at least decent, Clefairy may be the best since Arceus doesn't have Heal bell( godamn), as a CM sweeper it kind of flops to Elgyem has he can take a Moonblast at +2 and set up along side and K.O with Psyshock.

another thing is clefables calm mind set (calm mind, moonblast, flamethrower, softboiled bold nature max def and hp evs) is from my expirience a very great set(i prefer it over cosmicbeam because it has better overall coverage, and has more initial power on the get go), and i agree clefairy should definatly be on the viablity list.
I faced a Clefairy with CM set about a half hour ago, but I was able to 2HKO it with Gastly's Sludge Wave (woulda OHKOed without the +1). I face more wall Clefairy than setup, but when I do, I face Calm Minders and have no issue with them.

Before the Spritzee ban Clefairy was more or less outclassed as an attacker( wasn't really that much because of Magic Guard and better coverage), cleric and wall but now it fits a lot of holes that the Spritzee ban made, there are a lot of clerics in this meta, well at least decent, Clefairy may be the best since Arceus doesn't have Heal bell( godamn), as a CM sweeper it kind of flops to Elgyem has he can take a Moonblast at +2 and set up along side and K.O with Psyshock.
Bear in mind that Elgyem has Less HP and that Fairy is a better defensive typing than Psychic - especially as there are a lot of Fast Sp Atkers using Shadow Ball, a lot of pokes using Knock Off, etc.

blinkie

¯\_( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)_/¯ dank meme crew
Riolu should be at least ranked higher than something like Smoochum. 4x resistant to Cranidos's main STAB, prankster Copycat means it can revenge kill a lot of mons. Also Bullet Punch will wreck Cranidos, while you have good coverage in Crunch + Drain Punch as well.
You can make a ton of good plays with prankster Copycat, and it brings a hard stop to several boosting sweepers.
I would say Riolu for at least something like C-

Also Drifloon could possibly have a niche in Unburden + Weakness Policy + Acrobatics to nuke everything. Then when you are walled, just Dbond to take down another mon. Drifloon can tank some attacks thanks to a doubled 90 base HP. The other viable set I can see is WP+Baton Pass+Stockpile and Sub or attacking move. If you can pass the boosts to a stronk receiver, then its pretty much gg.

Last edited:
Riolu should be at least ranked higher than something like Smoochum. 4x resistant to Cranidos's main STAB, prankster Copycat means it can revenge kill a lot of mons. Also Bullet Punch will wreck Cranidos, while you have good coverage in Crunch + Drain Punch as well.
You can make a ton of good plays with prankster Copycat, and it brings a hard stop to several boosting sweepers.
I would say Riolu for at least something like C-

Also Drifloon could possibly have a niche in Unburden + Weakness Policy + Acrobatics to nuke everything. Then when you are walled, just Dbond to take down another mon. Drifloon can tank some attacks thanks to a doubled 90 base HP. The other viable set I can see is WP+Baton Pass+Stockpile and Sub or attacking move. If you can pass the boosts to a stronk receiver, then its pretty much gg.
sir i believe only lucario is fighting/steel riolu is pure fighting

Bear in mind that Elgyem has Less HP and that Fairy is a better defensive typing than Psychic - especially as there are a lot of Fast Sp Atkers using Shadow Ball, a lot of pokes using Knock Off, etc.
Not that Elgyem is better, is that Elgyem handles Clefairy really well, so I don't know if the CM set is as good as everyone on ladder thinks it is but that Elgyem works a good check/ maybe even counter to CM Clefairy so I haven' t seen a CM Clefairy work effectively.

What, no Flare Boost abuser who Tricks its Flame Orb onto enemies?

jeronipuff

Man made the web, you don't need a name.
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hey everyone! I love this OM, it's probably my favorite so far solely due to the fact that LC pokes can kick uber mons' asses :]. I actually enjoy this meta so much that soon after its release I recorded a session of me getting to #11 on the ladder (I know that it is a small ladder, so 11 isn't really an amazing feat). If you do want to see the session and the team I used here's a link to my playlist of videos of my session. I hope you guys enjoy! :]

Youtube Link-
Link to image I made for the 350 cup on my video's thumbnail- http://i.imgur.com/GcDMcX6.png

Last edited:
XatuAppraisal plz put your consecutive posts into one post(if you post and have something to say but noone else has posted yet edit into the post even if its about something else.
Edit: also if your post is long put it in a hide tag using: (hide)text you wish to put in hide tag(/hide) except with brackets instead of parentheses. you can name a hide tag by (hide=name of hide tag)(/hide).

PS. if youre looking for a ghost type replacement for gastly both drifloon and misdreavus(I think) are good ones

Last edited:
XatuAppraisal plz put your consecutive posts into one post(if you post and have something to say but noone else has posted yet edit into the post even if its about something else.
Edit: also if your post is long put it in a hide tag using: (hide)text you wish to put in hide tag(/hide) except with brackets instead of parentheses. you can name a hide tag by (hide=name of hide tag)(/hide).

PS. if youre looking for a ghost type replacement for gastly both drifloon and misdreavus(I think) are good ones

I don't know how to quote different people in the same reply and didn't know how to do the hide thing.

Edit: Also, if you'd read it, you'd have seen me say Gastly was one of the best pokes on the team and that it is Scraggy I wanna replace. Coz I need to deal with OTHER gastly.

Edit 2: The Team
Smeargle @ Focus Sash
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Spore
- Sticky Web
- Parting Shot
- Topsy-Turvy

Mienfoo @ Life Orb
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Drain Punch/High Jump Kick

Gastly @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Dazzling Gleam
- Destiny Bond

Natu @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Heat Wave
- Shadow Ball
- Roost

Clefairy @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Flamethrower
- Soft-Boiled

Scraggy @ Leftovers
Ability: Shed Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Bulk Up
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Rest

That's the team. The hides shall have the info :)

Smeargle
Smeargle slows down the opponents with Webs and spore is obvious.

Parting Shot to those who don't know is a move that is exclusive to Pancham and Pangoro. It acts as an alternative U-Turn, only instead of dealing damage, it reduces their Atk and Sp Atk by 1. This means you can bring in any poke (other than Gastly, unless you are expecting Rapid Spin) with it taking very little damage, or just predict a switch and have it doing next to no damage.

Lastly, there is Topsy Turvy, another exclusive attack (though we all know this one). It inverts stat changes, so someone who used Calm Mind twice will go from +2/+2 to -2/-2. This is mainly to stop people from taking advantage of Smeargle's normal status as setup fodder. Combining this with Parting Shot can be brilliant for keeping an opponent's attack stats down as you bring in a poke safely.

Mienfoo
Mienfoo's set is a standard Offensive Pivot set. Fake Out and Knock Off facilitate disruption and U-Turn maintains momentum. The STAB attack however switches between Drain Punch/High Jump Kick and I am having trouble deciding which to stick with.

Gastly
Levitate making him unaffected by Spikes and Webs, brute 200 base Sp Atk and Perfect Coverage in STAB Shadow Ball + Dazzling Gleam (minus Litleo) mean Gastly is a brilliant poke to have on your side in a webs team :) Especially when you bear in mind he's only outsped by Timid Scarf Abra and Levitating/Flying Scarves (notably Staravia and Vibrava) while you have webs up. Even if you are on your last legs, you can just Destiny Bond and take a poke with you.

Natu
With no way to clear hazards, you really want to keep them off your side of the field. With fast users of U-Turn and Parting Shot, the easiest way to do this tends to be using Natu to bounce them to the opponent's field (which also lets you use rocks/spikes from your opponent to break their sashes). Natu's coverage with Psychic/Ghost/Fire is also unresisted with the exception of Houndour and Carvahna - both of which are laughed at by Mienfoo (although if you predict your opponent to bring in Houndour get out immediately so you don't get Pursuit trapped). Roost is not just for Life Orb damage. It heals off any damage you may have taken on a switch in by your opponent while pivoting.

Clefairy
I said it before and I'll say it again. I prefer Cosmicbeam to Calm Mind Clefairy. However, it is too slow and this team needs more immediate power. I am pleased with how CM Clefairy has done on this team. It's not as frail physically as I feared it would be and has put in a lot of work for me. How to use it is pretty obvious.
Scraggy
This poke has done a lot of work for me :) It's special bulk is godly and Shed Skin means you don't have to worry so much about status while you set up (although, if toxic has been going for 3 turns, you should use Rest regardless of how much HP you have). It's pretty simple to use, set up and wreck.

Now, I said before that I wanted to get rid of Scraggy. However, Scraggy has done more work for me than Clefairy recently and they are both equally weak to Gastly, so any opinions? Should I replace Scraggy or Clefairy? And what with? I can't rely on winning a speed tie to beat opposing Gastly once Mienshao is out of the game.

Last edited:
I don't know how to quote different people in the same reply and didn't know how to do the hide thing.

Edit: Also, if you'd read it, you'd have seen me say Gastly was one of the best pokes on the team and that it is Scraggy I wanna replace. Coz I need to deal with OTHER gastly.
First thing just hit the reply hyperlink thing on two or more posts.
since youre looking for a gastly check Yveltal is pretty good as well as assvest stunky and meloetta could even be used.

Scraggy
This poke has done a lot of work for me :) It's special bulk is godly and Shed Skin means you don't have to worry so much about status while you set up (although, if toxic has been going for 3 turns, you should use Rest regardless of how much HP you have). It's pretty simple to use, set up and wreck.

Now, I said before that I wanted to get rid of Scraggy. However, Scraggy has done more work for me than Clefairy recently and they are both equally weak to Gastly, so any opinions? Should I replace Scraggy or Clefairy? And what with? I can't rely on winning a speed tie to beat opposing Gastly once Mienshao is out of the game.

Had to post this afterwards as there is a character limit apparently.

First thing just hit the reply hyperlink thing on two or more posts.
since youre looking for a gastly check Yveltal is pretty good as well as assvest stunky and meloetta could even be used.
I said Yveltal myself a while ago, but was hoping for something a bit more offensive. I'll give Stunky a try :)

Edit: Just realised that before I added Stunky, that team got me to Number 14 on the main Server's ladder O_O I didn't even notice coz I was having fun!

Edit:
Ok, I just got to top 10 on the main server for the 350 Cup ladder :D Here's a pastebin of the team I ended up using. Very similar, but I will have details for Stunky here.

Stunky
Stunky @ Black Sludge
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 156 HP / 252 Atk / 100 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Defog

The HP EVs hit 432, which is divisable by 16 (so you get 27 points per turn, while 152 EVs would get you 26). Max Atk is obvious and the rest invests in special bulk to make it easier to take Shadow Balls, non STAB Dazzling Gleams, etc. Defog also gives me an out if Hazards become too intense and I get several opportunities to set up webs again. Apart from that, the set is pretty vanilla.

Last edited:
I'd say since you already have a fighting type scraggy might be better to get rid of(if anyone wants to contradict me on that feel free).
I'd recomend assvest stunky since it's pretty useful but if you want to outspeed priority is always good. for example megakanga with sucker punch annihilates gastly. you could also use CB greninja or honedge if you don't mind saccing a mon. another option for outspeeding is fast scarf dark/ghost/psychics.

I'd say since you already have a fighting type scraggy might be better to get rid of(if anyone wants to contradict me on that feel free).
I'd recomend assvest stunky since it's pretty useful but if you want to outspeed priority is always good. for example megakanga with sucker punch annihilates gastly. you could also use CB greninja or honedge if you don't mind saccing a mon. another option for outspeeding is fast scarf dark/ghost/psychics.
I don't like saccing. I got rid of Clefairy and am now Number 7 on the ladder on the main server. I'm trying to find a way to upload a picture and prove it

Edit: I got rid of Clefairy coz Scrafty's special bulk is superior to Clef's physical bulk mainly, but I have been switching in Scraggy more at the higher end and been using Clefairy very little.

I find it wierd that no one uses mega kanga. It's almost like noone remembers this is an ubers meta. it can check high tier threats such as abra and gastly, do large amounts of damage to walls with neutral hits(though running crunch might be worth it for gira) and OHKO lots of HO threats with sucker punch.

I use Mega Kangaskhan, in part because it's an Uber Mega Evolution and 350 Cup effectively discourages using any Mega Evolution that isn't Uber tier because there's probably a Little Cup Pokemon that blows it out of the water -and Mega Kangaskhan doesn't have that problem.

I haven't seen Mega Kangaskhan on other teams, but I haven't played much and the vast majority of teams I've fought have been 100% Little Cup monsters with not even one conventional Uber to the team. (I really don't get why people don't run a Mega Mewtwo as a standard way to maximize the use of the Mega Evolution slot)

canno

formerly The Reptile
another mega that needs more use is Mega Gengar. You might think that it competes with Ghastly, but really they don't - M-Gengar is a trapper to help other sweepers sweep better while Ghastly is a frail and powerful attacker. M-Gengar was much more notable when Spritzee was around, but it lets you trap shit like Shroomish and Foongus or something. It's stats aren't even that bad. I've ran a team with the classic XernGar combo and it works pretty well.

I find it wierd that no one uses mega kanga. It's almost like noone remembers this is an ubers meta. it can check high tier threats such as abra and gastly, do large amounts of damage to walls with neutral hits(though running crunch might be worth it for gira) and OHKO lots of HO threats with sucker punch.
I used Bite on my Megaskhan when it was OU with a webs team as that alone was over a 50% chance of flinch. Then I'd use Togekiss + Slowbro for spreading Paralysis and Togekiss + Jirachi for Flinching as well. It was such a Haxy team XD

Edit: it's a shame that no pokemon with Serene Grace and the boost from 350 cup get Flinch moves

Snivy @ Life Orb
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Coil
- Leaf Blade
- Knock Off
- Taunt

Stats: 90 / 90 / 110 / 90 / 110 / 126

Let's talk Snivy for a moment. I've yet to see any Snivy whatsoever, and I'm honestly a bit surprised. It's got solid bulk, high Speed, and average attacking stats; however, its real kicker is its unique access to the combination of Coil and Taunt. With this combination, it can shut down phasing and such and proceed to set up with Coil. Coil is like a stronger Bulk Up, and although the accuracy doesn't really impact Snivy much, it enjoys the boost in power to help it actually do something and the added bulk is nice for taking priority. For example, Arceus' Extreme Speed has a chance to 3HKO it at +1. Very nice bulk in general and Knock Off is just a fantastic move. Snivy's not necessarily the strongest or most relevant threat, but I encourage you to try it out some!

Snivy @ Life Orb
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Coil
- Leaf Blade
- Knock Off
- Taunt

Stats: 90 / 90 / 110 / 90 / 110 / 126

Let's talk Snivy for a moment. I've yet to see any Snivy whatsoever, and I'm honestly a bit surprised. It's got solid bulk, high Speed, and average attacking stats; however, its real kicker is its unique access to the combination of Coil and Taunt. With this combination, it can shut down phasing and such and proceed to set up with Coil. Coil is like a stronger Bulk Up, and although the accuracy doesn't really impact Snivy much, it enjoys the boost in power to help it actually do something and the added bulk is nice for taking priority. For example, Arceus' Extreme Speed has a chance to 3HKO it at +1. Very nice bulk in general and Knock Off is just a fantastic move. Snivy's not necessarily the strongest or most relevant threat, but I encourage you to try it out some!
Well, bear in mind that Dragon Tail and Circle Throw shuffle without "'being affected by taunt'". Also, Clear Smog can be used to get rid of your boosts.

As for the fact that it's a setup sweeper, Scraggy outclasses it pure and simple. It has Shed Skin to deal with status, Scraggy's special bulk is superior, Scraggy has recovery in the form of STAB Drain Punch (and Shed Skin + Rest if you get in a dire situation), Knock Off is STAB on Scraggy and - unless you used Aqua Tail for poor coverage - Snivy is not using the accuracy boost from coil at all (which means there is no perk in using Coil over Bulk Up).

(edit was me correcting what was between "' and '")

Last edited:
Well, bear in mind that Dragon Tail and Circle Throw shuffle without "'being affected by taunt'". Also, Clear Smog can be used to get rid of your boosts.

As for the fact that it's a setup sweeper, Scraggy outclasses it pure and simple. It has Shed Skin to deal with status, Scraggy's special bulk is superior, Scraggy has recovery in the form of STAB Drain Punch (and Shed Skin + Rest if you get in a dire situation), Knock Off is STAB on Scraggy and - unless you used Aqua Tail for poor coverage - Snivy is not using the accuracy boost from coil at all (which means there is no perk in using Coil over Bulk Up).

(edit was me correcting what was between "' and '")
How common are Dragon Tail and Circle Throw? I really have not seen that much of it, and obviously they are not impacted by Taunt but that goes for any set up sweeper. Clear Smog, on the other hand, kinda sucks but I mean Koffing ;_;. That's why you don't setup until potential Clear Smog users are stopped :p. Scraggy plays a different role, though? It is a better set up fast sweeper with immediate power, but Snivy can actually do something to Xerneas which I find very important; Scraggy is forced to switch out. Sure, Scraggy is great and all, but Snivy can do stuff against Xerneas which I find useful. I don't really think they're that comparable honestly, bar the whole "setting up" thing which a lot of other stuff does.

How common are Dragon Tail and Circle Throw? I really have not seen that much of it, and obviously they are not impacted by Taunt but that goes for any set up sweeper. Clear Smog, on the other hand, kinda sucks but I mean Koffing ;_;. That's why you don't setup until potential Clear Smog users are stopped :p. Scraggy plays a different role, though? It is a better set up fast sweeper with immediate power, but Snivy can actually do something to Xerneas which I find very important; Scraggy is forced to switch out. Sure, Scraggy is great and all, but Snivy can do stuff against Xerneas which I find useful. I don't really think they're that comparable honestly, bar the whole "setting up" thing which a lot of other stuff does.
Koffing isn't the only clear smog user. I see Foongus quite a lot and the occasional Litwick using it. Also, Scraggy is FAR better in my experience as a Bulk-Up user than a Dragon Dance user.

Koffing isn't the only clear smog user. I see Foongus quite a lot and the occasional Litwick using it. Also, Scraggy is FAR better in my experience as a Bulk-Up user than a Dragon Dance user.
The point of a DDance Scraggy is to get a boost of speed and attack and likely get a KO for Moxie boost. It will abuse any bad matchup in order to get a double boost and a possibly outspeed your next opponent. It might not work all the time...but when you set it up right, it can threaten a possible sweep.

Alright I'm just going to put this out here: Smeargle pretty much needs to be banned. The thing is absolutely broken and needs to go.

Smeargle @ Lum Berry
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Spore
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes

The beagle can run a myriad of sets, but this one is the most absurd. Honestly, if you haven't got Natu (even then, pursuit GG) or something absurdly fast that can OHKO it, this thing will shit on you so hard it's ridiculous. Not only does it completely trample over almost every form of stall, but it does a good job against HO as well, seeing as the hazards it guarantees really simplify the job for your team. When paired up with a Competitive/Defiant user the hazards it provides are pretty much here to stay as well, so any hopes of defogging them away and getting back into the game can be shot down there, unless you think going up against a +2 Mankey is a good idea. I was able to make it 16-0 on the ladder using this under the alt bad 350 cup team, and I really have no desire to go any further since at this point it seems the matches are just decided by who's Smeargle wins the speed tie.

Even if you come prepared for this set, seeing as Smeargle can run just about anything, every time you switch your Natu/counter in you stand the risk of facing any other set, such as the above with skill swap, or even good old Smash/Geo/Whateverpass and losing the game from there.

Here's an example of even a prepared stall player losing to Smeargle: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/350cup-182206574

Last edited:
Alright I'm just going to put this out here: Smeargle pretty much needs to be banned. The thing is absolutely broken and needs to go.

Smeargle @ Lum Berry
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Spore
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes

The beagle can run a myriad of sets, but this one is the most absurd. Honestly, if you haven't got Natu (even then, pursuit GG) or something absurdly fast that can OHKO it, this thing will shit on you so hard it's ridiculous. Not only does it completely trample over almost every form of stall, but it does a good job against HO as well, seeing as the hazards it guarantees really simplify the job for your team. When paired up with a Competitive/Defiant user the hazards it provides are pretty much here to stay as well, so any hopes of defogging them away and getting back into the game can be shot down there, unless you think going up against a +2 Mankey is a good idea. I was able to make it 16-0 on the ladder using this under the alt bad 350 cup team, and I really have no desire to go any further since at this point it seems the matches are just decided by who's Smeargle wins the speed tie.

Even if you come prepared for this set, seeing as Smeargle can run just about anything, every time you switch your Natu/counter in you stand the risk of facing any other set, such as the above with skill swap, or even good old Smash/Geo/Whateverpass and losing the game from there.
Never had problems with Smeargle, seriously I just lead with anything fast, I mean 150 speed is good but most scarfers or even choice users( I'll talk about band Staravia later) can one shot easily if you don't run sash, if you do something sleeps, then u-turn or whatever again, I never used Smeargle but his lack of bulk and no offensive presence make I'm unlikable. If your opponent has a grass type Smeargle usability goes down, if your opponent has a spinner you need to carry those ghosts and most spinners have Knock off( at least the good ones), if you use Dark void you will be able to miss.
I will admit that it is a threat but not ban worthy, at least in my experience

I mean 150 speed is good but most scarfers or even choice users( I'll talk about band Staravia later) can one shot easily if you don't run sash
Offense is not the only playstyle. The notion that every team should run offense just to deal with smeargle is absurd really - if something was no problem for stall but could trample over the best of HO teams it would be equally banworthy. Not to mention, things that can outspeed and KO Smeargle are very limited and you underestimate its 110/70/90 bulk. Here's an example of how even some of the tier's most feared Pokemon in the higher speed tiers can't kill it before being spored/voided:

252+ SpA Life Orb Abra Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Smeargle: 360-425 (84.9 - 100.2%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO - [This is Modest Life Orb!]
252+ SpA Life Orb Gastly Sludge Bomb vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Smeargle: 320-376 (75.4 - 88.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252+ Atk Arceus Extreme Speed vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Smeargle: 361-426 (85.1 - 100.4%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO - [Assuming Lum to take the spore, and Smeargle didn't taunt you before you got the SD off]

...I was going to list more stuff, but apart from Staravia none of the rest of the base 151+ speed club is really viable!
Which brings me on to my next point: King's Shield!

It really doesn't have any problems fitting this on over taunt, and it can basically be used to completely deny Staravia and a ton of physical scarfers. As I said, it can run anything. It also has the benefit of making the matchup against aforementioned E-Killer that much more solid.

-2 252 Atk Choice Band Reckless Staravia Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Smeargle: 261-307 (61.5 - 72.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
-2 252 Atk Cranidos Head Smash vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Smeargle: 271-321 (63.9 - 75.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Drilbur Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Smeargle: 292-345 (68.8 - 81.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO - [Not affected by KS but still a physical scarfer so]

I can't think of anything else really.

If your opponent has a grass type Smeargle usability goes down
if you use Dark void you will be able to miss.
Are you really willing to take the risk that your grass type "counter" has an 80% chance of being put to sleep? That's still a very reasonable chance, and even if Smeargle misses the first time it more than likely will have a second shot at it with its usable bulk.

if your opponent has a spinner you need to carry those ghosts and most spinners have Knock off( at least the good ones)
Spinning is far easier said than done without getting your spinner killed in the process. Even if you do predict correctly, your Sandshrew (or whatever spinner you're using) will have at best removed the hazards and died. Smeargle is a HO lead, and the rest of the team will be designed to make spinning/defogging as much of a pain in the ass to you as they can. It's far easier said than done, really.

Last edited:
Offense is not the only playstyle. The notion that every team should run offense just to deal with smeargle is absurd really - if something was no problem for stall but could trample over the best of HO teams it would be equally banworthy. Not to mention, things that can outspeed and KO Smeargle are very limited and you underestimate its 110/70/90 bulk. Here's an example of how even some of the tier's most feared Pokemon in the higher speed tiers can't kill it before being spored/voided:

252+ SpA Life Orb Abra Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Smeargle: 360-425 (84.9 - 100.2%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO - [This is Modest Life Orb!]
252+ SpA Life Orb Gastly Sludge Bomb vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Smeargle: 320-376 (75.4 - 88.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252+ Atk Arceus Extreme Speed vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Smeargle: 361-426 (85.1 - 100.4%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO - [Assuming Lum to take the spore, and Smeargle didn't taunt you before you got the SD off]

...I was going to list more stuff, but apart from Staravia none of the rest of the base 151+ speed club is really viable!
Which brings me on to my next point: King's Shield!

It really doesn't have any problems fitting this on over taunt, and it can basically be used to completely deny Staravia and a ton of physical scarfers. As I said, it can run anything. It also has the benefit of making the matchup against aforementioned E-Killer that much more solid.

-2 252 Atk Choice Band Reckless Staravia Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Smeargle: 261-307 (61.5 - 72.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252 Atk Cranidos Head Smash vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Smeargle: 1087-1281 (256.3 - 302.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Drilbur Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Smeargle: 292-345 (68.8 - 81.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO - [Not affected by KS but still a physical scarfer so]

I can't think of anything else really.

Are you really willing to take the risk that your grass type "counter" has an 80% chance of being put to sleep? That's still a very reasonable chance, and even if Smeargle misses the first time it more than likely will have a second shot at it with its usable bulk.

Spinning is far easier said than done without getting your spinner killed in the process. Even if you do predict correctly, your Sandshrew (or whatever spinner you're using) will have at best removed the hazards and died. Smeargle is a HO lead, and the rest of the team will be designed to make spinning/defogging as much of a pain in the ass to you as they can. It's far easier said than done, really.
I never faced had problems with Smeargle because applying offensive pressure was enough for me, since I haven't used Stall since 350 cup was still only on Pandora I haven't even thought of the pressure it puts on Stall, still Ferroseed and Shroomish and can threaten Smeargle on the stall front, King's shield seems like a viable option but your basicly choosing to deal with Stall or Offense.
Either way I think Smeargle is really good even better after you talked about my arguments, still it is not banworthy at the moment, maybe let the meta develop a bit more or discussing it here? Just my two cents.

Whether you use Hazard Smeargle or Geomancy Pass Smeargle, this pokemon is so versatile with its movesets and being able to affect all momentum in the battle.

I'm boggling at +2 Extreme Speed from Arceus having only a small chance of being a OHKO. That's nuts. You can't even reliably instagib it later in the match with a fast, lethal Pokemon that's already set up? And it would only need to shunt a little bit of Speed into Defense to bring that down to a 0% chance of a KO, and then it can just Spore you and continue on with life 100% reliably, assuming your pre-set up Arceus lacks a Lum Berry or already used it.

And then it can do basically just about anything else too so that you can't simply plan around countering a particular Smeargle build -which would still make it over-centralizing- because oops your plan for dealing with build A is the exact wrong thing to do against build B and oh gods.

I haven't run into Smeargle more than once myself, but this is nutty stuff. I'm on the side of quick-ban, for once.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)