Monogen

Cool banner by Rain Woman
Approved by The Eevee General and The Immortal
What is Monogen?

The name is self explanatory: in your team you're allowed to have Pokémon from the same generation, Mega Evolutions are put in their appropriate generation (e.g. Mega Medicham can be used with other third gen Pokémon).

Banlist and clauses:

The same banlist and clauses as OU.

As this doesn't require any coding it can be played under Ubers (because Aegislash is allowed) in the main server, so I'd really love if you try out this fun metagame!!

Relevant Pokemon list from each generation, made by Arhops:

Charizard, Venusaur, Blastiose, Nidoking, Clefable, Ninetales, Venomoth, Dugtrio, Alakazam, Tentacruel, Slowbro, Cloyster, Gengar, Chansey, Starmie, Gyarados, Ditto, Vaporeon, Omastar, Kabutops, Aerodactyl, Dragonite, Zapdos, Mew

Ampharos, Azumarill, Politoed, Quagsire, Espeon, Murkrow, Slowking, Wobbufett, Pineco, Forretress, Qwilfish, Scizor, Shuckle, Heracross, Skarmory, Houndoom, Kingdra, Donphan, Porygon2, Smeargle, Blissey, Raikou, Entei, Suicune, Tyranitar, Celebi

Swampert, Gardevior, Breloom, Sableye, Mawile, Aggron, Medicham, Electrike, Sharpedo, Crawdaunt, Cradily, Claydol, Cradily, Milotic, Banette, Absol, Huntail, Gorebyss, Salamence, Metagross, Registeel,

Torterra, Infernape, Empoleon, Staraptor, Roserade, Gastrodon, Mismagius, Honchkrow, Bronzong, Chatot, Garchomp, Lucario, Hippowdon, Abomasnow, Weavile, Magnezone, Rhyperior, Tangrowth, Togekiss, Yanmega, Gliscor, Mamoswine, Froslass, Rotom, Heatran, Cresselia, Manaphy, Shaymin

Victini, Excadrill, Seismitoad, Scolipede, Whimiscott, Krookodile, Landorus, Landorus-T, Thundurus, Thundurus-T, Tornadus, Tornadus-T, Keldeo, Gothitelle, Hydreigon, Alomomola, Amoonguss, Conkeldurr, Bisharp, Ferrothorn, Galvantula, Terrakion, Mandibuzz, Volcarona, Meloetta

Chesnaught, Greninja, Diggersby, Talonflame, Vivillon, Aegislash, Slurpuff, Malamar, Barbacle, Slyveon, Hawlucha, Goodra, Gourgeist, Noivern, Zygarde, Diance

Last edited by a moderator:
Didn't see that Peef Rimgar :O

Seriously speaking, this seems like a really fun metagame to play in. It has just one simple rule, and you'll never realize how restricting that rule is.

You can't run cores like VenuTran anymore, nor can you run Magnezone + Pinsir. Pokemon from Hoenn such as medicham are going to see a lot less usage, as most Pokemon from that generation are pretty faulty, with the exception of the latis, Gardevoir, and some other Pokemon.

I think Unova and Kanto are getting the best out of this. Unova has Pokemon such as Keldeo, Landorus, Thundurus, Terrakion, Ferrothorn and Bisharp, while Kanto has gems such as Chansey, Charizard (both), Dragonite, Clefable (holy shit!), Gengar, and Alakazam.

Gen 1 is the go-to for stall, and Gen 5 is the go-to for offense. Both will have to be extremely wary of the other's main threats. Chansey/Slowbro/MVenu is probably the ideal defensive core, as it handles the major threats of Bisharp, Keldeo, Thundurus, and Terrakion, among others. Landorus-I with Knock Off and Psychic could quite easily decimate the core, however, so cover will be needed to handle that. I'll add more later when I have more time.

Arhops

Professor Layton's Little Brother
is a Smogon Discord Contributor
Relevant Pokemon list from each generation:

Charizard, Venusaur, Blastiose, Nidoking, Clefable, Ninetales, Venomoth, Dugtrio, Alakazam, Tentacruel, Slowbro, Cloyster, Gengar, Chansey, Starmie, Gyarados, Ditto, Vaporeon, Omastar, Kabutops, Aerodactyl, Dragonite, Zapdos, Mew

Ampharos, Azumarill, Politoed, Quagsire, Espeon, Murkrow, Slowking, Wobbufett, Pineco, Forretress, Qwilfish, Scizor, Shuckle, Heracross, Skarmory, Houndoom, Kingdra, DONPHAN, Porygon2, Smeargle, Blissey, Raikou, Entei, Suicune, Tyranitar, Celebi

Swampert, Gardevior, Breloom, Sableye, Mawile, Aggron, Medicham, Electrike, Sharpedo, Crawdaunt, Cradily, Claydol, Cradily, Milotic, Banette, Absol, Huntail, Gorebyss, Salamence, Metagross, Registeel,

Torterra (unfixable LOL), Infernape, Empoleon, Staraptor, Roserade, Gastrodon, Mismagius, Honchkrow, Bronzong, Chatot, Garchomp, Lucario, Hippowdon, Abomasnow, Weavile, Magnezone, Rhyperior, Tangrowth, Togekiss, Yanmega, Gliscor, Mamoswine, Froslass, Rotom, Heatran, Cresselia, Manaphy, Shaymin

Victini, Excadrill, Seismitoad, Scolipede, Whimiscott, Krookodile, Landorus, Landorus-T, Thundurus, Thundurus-T, Tornadus, Tornadus-T, Keldeo, Gothitelle, Hydreigon, Alomomola, Amoonguss, Conkeldurr, Bisharp, Ferrothorn, Galvantula, Terrakion, Mandibuzz, Volcarona, Meloetta

Chesnaught, Greninja, Diggersby, Talonflame, Vivillon, Aegislash, Slurpuff, Malamar, Barbacle, Slyveon, Hawlucha, Goodra, Gourgeist, Noivern, Zygarde, Diance

Some of these are questionable but w/e

Last edited:
Thank you so much Arhops that will make stuff much easier for users to choose the gen they want to build a team with as well as finding which notable Pokémon can be used in each gen. Added to the OP, I really appreciate what you did! :)

xJownage

Even pendulums swing both ways
gen II is underrated. got shuckle for web, mega heracross, blissey, azumarill for beating offense, quagsire for unaware, wobbuffett for trapping, espeon for magic bounce, scizor for bulky offense, skarmory for everything, houndoom for shitting on stuff (no sun support :(), kingdra and politoed if rain is your thing, smeargle for everything, raikou for birdspam, entei for burning everything and revenge killing, and tyranitar for utility or just sweeping everything. Not saying its the best gen, but it is certainly very good. still has skarmbliss, and along with AV azumarill to check keld it can be really good. ttar is an amazing win condition, with a couple dragon dances it can make teams just lie down. mega heracross on sticky web just fucks shit up so hard, and band entei fucks all playstyles sideways in this meta. scizor can defog or be a nice bulky sweeper as well.

all the gens are very viable btw.

Sun Offense seems really cool from Gen 1. You have Ninetales, Charizard, Victreebel, Venusaur & Exceguttor. You can even throw Dugtrio for beating Heatran and Starmie for Rapid Spin support. Fire types are a bit barren though but Arcanine can work alongside the Mega Zards.

I'm no Genwunner, but I think Gen I has a lot of viable mons, both offensive and defensive. Cloyster, Gengar, Chansey, Charizard Megas, Venusaur Mega.

So yeah, I'd really love to see some few replays to help people take a look at this meta and see it in action :]

Congrats on LCotM!

Pokemon that became relevant after the creation of this OM and should be on the list:
Gen 1: Beedrill, Pidgeot
Gen 2: Feraligatr, Steelix
Gen 3: Sceptile, Camerupt, Altaria, Glalie
Gen 4: Lopunny, Gallade
Gen 5: Serperior, Emboar, Audino(?)
Gen 6: Tyrantrum, Hoopa-C, Hoopa-U

I also foresee traditionally subpar Pokemon being used here thanks to a Gen's lack of a certain type/etc. For instance, Magneton is the only Steel type in Gen 1, so I'd imagine it would be fairly useful on those teams. Gen 3, meanwhile, only has Camerupt and Torkoal as legal Fire types.

EDIT: Added the Head Smash master

Last edited:

dhelmise

banend doosre
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Social Media Head
Congrats on LCotM!

Pokemon that became relevant after the creation of this OM and should be on the list:
Gen 1: Beedrill, Pidgeot
Gen 2: Feraligatr, Steelix
Gen 3: Sceptile, Camerupt, Altaria, Glalie
Gen 4: Lopunny, Gallade
Gen 5: Serperior, Emboar, Audino(?)
Gen 6: Hoopa-C, Hoopa-U

I also foresee traditionally subpar Pokemon being used here thanks to a Gen's lack of a certain type/etc. For instance, Magneton is the only Steel type in Gen 1, so I'd imagine it would be fairly useful on those teams. Gen 3, meanwhile, only has Camerupt and Torkoal as legal Fire types.
Don't forget Rock Head Tyrantrum! Definitely a very good Pokemon on Gen 6 teams.

Josh

=P
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Monogen is the Leader's Choice for January! I think starting with OU by default is a good idea. Yagura
In case you didn't know, Yagura is gone until February due to exams. Somebody probably needs to be put in charge of this temporarily. I'll send him a message on Skype and alert him this was chosen as LCOTM though :]

The list of viable mons in each gen is heavily outdated, still mentioning Aegi and Greninja among other things. Arhops' list will be very helpful, but perhaps when someone has time they can go touch it up a bit?

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Each Gen specializies in a certain playstyle that other gens just cant do as well.

Gen 1 = Sun Offence (Has the two sun summoners, all of the relevant sweepers, a Rapid Spinner, burd check)

Gen 2 = Stall (Has SkarmBliss, Unaware Quagsire, Defensive Azumarill [Good but underated], Suicune, Celebi, Slowking, Umbreon, Porygon2, Gligar (For Defog), Defensive Ttar and maybe Xatu?)

Gen 3 = Bulky Offence? (Really Needs help as Hoenn has good megas, but thats it)

Gen 4 = Jack of all trades; Master of none (Has plenty of incomplete cores from standard, can do HO reasonably well, but outclassed by Gen 5. Has semi stall / stall options, but outclassed by the bulk of Gen 2)

Gen 5 = Hyper Offence (Has very powerful Pokémon. Best option as lead is Rocks Terrakion. Can sweep with SD Bisharp or Serpirior. Has powerful wallbreakers in Keldeo, Terrakion, Tornados-T and Landorus-T. Can beat other variants of offence with Thunder Wave Thundurus.)

Gen 6 = Standard Offence (Has good options. Wallbreakers in Aegislash, Hoopa-U, Diggersby. Sweepers in Talonflame. Heliolisk is a good mon to check water types. Unfortunately lacks ANY form of hazard control other than Mega Diancie and Avalugg.)

Thats my analysis on the six generations. Take it into serious consideration when making teams.

Gen 1 is the go-to for stall, and Gen 5 is the go-to for offense. Both will have to be extremely wary of the other's main threats. Chansey/Slowbro/MVenu is probably the ideal defensive core, as it handles the major threats of Bisharp, Keldeo, Thundurus, and Terrakion, among others. Landorus-I with Knock Off and Psychic could quite easily decimate the core, however, so cover will be needed to handle that. I'll add more later when I have more time.
Add Clefable into the mix and Starmie as one of the best spinners and you got yourself a monster team with plenty of flexibility for a 6th slot (Curselax for wincon, BandNite, sash Zam for revenge killing, etc)

Something I think you guys are forgetting about gen 2, is Politoed. I got to top of the ladder (nothing impressive since the ladder was just made) using rain. You have 3 maybe 4 rain abusers as far as water types go in Kingdra, Qwilfish (SD is actually a really cool set), Mantine (Haven't tested yet but thought I should mention it), and Azumarill. Then as I was looking through gen 2 for some steel types, I realized we have Mega Scizor, probably one of the best if not the best non water type rain abuser out there. Using this on the ladder was very fun and often hard to break for my opponents. Then as far as some electric types go, you have access to Raikou and Ampharos spamming Thunder with rain up. You also have some pivots and stealth rockers for the rain teams such as Skarmory, Celebi, Forretress, etc. All I wanted to say, just thought you guys were really underrating gen2.

I apologize if this is a stupid question, but this is now OU by default right? Just with Aegislash? If that's so, pokemon like Greninja, MLucario and Lando are banned still?

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
i think so. but it should be banned cause it invalidates the use of Gen 3 and really cripples Gen 4.

I love Genwun and Gen 6. Ima make four teams, two each. Maybe I ll try Gen 3.

It is quite obvious that in this meta, not all gens are made equal, in particular gen 3 looks weak, even though it has good megas, the rest of the team looks lackluster. So id like to bring up the possibility of unbanning blaziken. Each gen has a ways of beating it which i will go through and it will make gen 3 more viable. Gen 1 fares well with slowbro, mew, tenticruel, starmie, gyrados and ditto. Gen 2 has mega amph, suicune, wobbuffet and azumarill. Gen 3 has mega alt, swampert, crawdaunt, lati and milotic. Gen 4 has rhyperior, gachomp, cresselia and hippowdon. gen 5 has victini, landorus, whimsicott, thundurus, mandibuzz, volcarona and alomomomomola. Gen 6 has talonflame, nuff said, Of course blaziken is strong and can beat some of these under certain conditions, but his strengh is sortof the point

EDIT: aegislash isn't allowed on the ladder, even though its meant to be unbanned

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)