Doubles CAP Project thread! Stage 8: Stat Limits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
READ THIS IF THIS IS YOUR FIRST TIME CONTRIBUTING TO A CAP PROJECT
There's no need to simply state your opinion in a CAP discussion or submission stage; that's what the voting stages are for. Discussion and submission threads are for proposing and arguing, so please make sure that your posts actually do this. And no shitposts please.

The CAP process is performed in rigid steps not because that's the best way to build a Pokemon but because if we did it any other way, it'd get very confusing and impossible to poll. Please respect the process by not discussing steps outside of the one we're currently working on ("polljumping").

Please read the posts of the people who post before you. That's necessary to an informed debate. And because people are going to be reading your posts, do your best to make them legible and concise. It wasn't easy for me to use proper capitalization in this OP, either, but we can work through this together.

Lastly, custom Abilities/Moves are banned. Do not suggest them. Do not mention them.

Welcome to the first ever Doubles CAP! With your help, we can make this a successful forum project. For those who know what this means, I've appointed myself the topic leader of this CAP; for those who don't know, I'm going to be doing the janitorial work to keep this project rolling. Apparently srk1214 wants to be a leader too or something so why not, he'll be a co-TL, because he knows CAP almost as well as I do. If you have any questions about the project feel free to VM either of us, post in the peanut gallery, ask on IRC, basically anything but post in this thread.

To keep the subforum neat and avoid flooding it with posts, all of the posts in this project will be in a single thread. Here is an index of the first posts for each individual stage:

Concept Submissions
Concept Voting
Concept Assessment
Type Discussion
Type Voting
Art Submissions
Ability 1 Discussion
Ability 1 Voting
Stat Limits
Stat Spread Submissions
Stat Voting
Ability 2 Discussion
Ability 2 Voting
Art Voting
Sprite Submissions
Name Submissions
Attacking Moves Discussion
Attacking Moves Voting
Non Attacking Moves Discussion
Name Voting
Non Attacking Moves Voting
Movepool Submissions
Movepool Voting
Sprite Voting

Last edited:

Stratos

Banned deucer.
Stage 1: Concept Submissions

The first stage in the CAP process is concept submissions, where we decide what the goal of our project will be. Concepts are not detailed plans for a Pokemon, they are a high-level description of a general idea. We are not trying to decide anything right now. We have several weeks of polls ahead of us where EVERYTHING about this Pokemon will be dissected, discussed, voted, and decided. The Concept is a very basic guide for the creation process.

Please submit your concept in the following framework:
Name:
General Description:
Explanation:

• Name: Give your concept a name. Make it short enough that I'm willing to type it on IRC. Don't be too clever, the name needs to accurately and obviously reflect your concept.
  • General Description: State your concept. Should be a couple sentences long maximum. Tells what the goal of the concept is.
  • Explanation: Write whatever you want here. Why we should vote for your concept, ideas for fulfilling your concept, whatever. This field is free for all, but be forewarned that voters will read as much or as little of it as they want.
Rules for concept submissions are as follows:
  • One submission max per person. Duh.
  • Don't submit someone else's concept with just minor alterations. If you would like someone else's concept more with slight changes, just suggest those changes to them. Don't be a glory hound and undercut them.
  • Submissions should not specify abilities, types, stat biases, or groups of moves. That takes all the fun out of those stages later on in the project. Single moves are ok because they're such a small part of the movepool stage, but obviously only if it's crucial to the concept.
  • No megas. They fuck up the cap process really bad.
Here's an example of a legal submission from the last CAP project:
Base Speed said:
Name: Quit Stalling!
General Description: A pokemon that aims to eliminate stall from the XY OU meta by specifically and effectively countering it

Explanation:
Obviously, total elimination of such a big part of the metagame is an ambitious goal and we'll have to use all our collective creativity to even come close. Stall effects every element of competitive pokemon so success depends on understanding every element of competitive pokemon. Stallbreakers already exist and we need to figure out how to simultaneously do their jobs better and more specifically, and I think this'll lead us to a unique approach that no stallbreakers have done before. We'll need to look both at the key pokemon in stall as well as overall trends and figure out a way to counter both effectively with a single pokemon, while ensuring this pokemon isn't simply used as a sweeper or even a staller itself!

But if it were easy, it wouldn't be fun.

Even if we fail, making and testing this CAP will be a great learning opportunity that will teach us both how to use and counter stall. I must stress that now is the best time for this: stall is stronger than it's been for years and the XY metagame is still fresh, with much to discover: stall experienced big changes this generation such as a new defensive type, alterations to steel, the weather change, even little things like Knock Off's improvement. The implications of these changes are unknown and there's much to learn by looking at them.

Now the biggest question that's being asked of this concept is whether stall is actually strong enough to make this CAP worthwhile. I must confess the raw statistics do me no favors: in 1825 stall and semistall combined account for about 20% of playstyles, which isn't huge. However, if you compare the 1825 stats to the 0 stats, you'll notice something incredible: in the 0 stats, stall and semistall combined make up about 7% of playstyles. That's a massive difference. It's absolutely incredible. And it backs up an opinion that many people have: stall is very good, but it's boring. It's a playstyle that people play to win, not to enjoy, and as such it's underrepresented. So no, the numbers don't deter me. If anything they spur me on: that jump between 0 and 1825 needs looking into. I still absolutely believe that stall as a playstyle should be investigated with a CAP.
This thread can also be used for commenting on submissions, giving feedback on them, and convincing people to vote for your favorite submissions.

I'll probably leave this stage open for about three days. Post away!

Last edited:
Name: Perish Trap Aid

General Description: A pokemon that uses or aids the strategy of Perish Trap.

Explanation: Perish Trapping is an underutilized strategy in Doubles that's either met with immense fear or a shrug of indifference. It's the nightmare of bulkier, more defensive teams and gets bulldozed by more offensive teams. This makes it extremely matchup based and anyone who uses this strategy frequently is usually called a shit/cancer user or something of the like because some teams automatically lose at team preview. To the contrary, I think Perish Trap is a high-risk, high-reward strategy that takes a lot of foresight to correctly use. If you're not able to see 2-3 turns into the future of the match, you're going to have a hard time using it.

I want a CAP that explores Perish Trap because of the possibilities of an almost untapped strategy. Semi Perish Trap (2 mons that can perish trap, 4 normal mons) is very underused yet very promising. I think this idea could boost up the reputation of a hated archetype while simultaneously bringing a new team archetype into standard Doubles play (semi trap). Even if this CAP cannot successfully do that, it will still be a much-needed glimpse into an "untouched" playstyle.

note - I say "aid" perish trap for a reason. The poke doesn't actually have to have shadow tag if we can think of another way to make Perish Trap more viable.

Last edited:

Fangame10

DOU Master of Snow-based Trick Room teams
is a Tiering Contributor
Name: RIP Meta
General Description: A pokemon that covers major doubles meta game threats and is weak to uncommon types and pokemon
Explanation: Common threats like Mega-Kangaskhan, Amoongus, and Landorus-T pose a great presence in this meta making them go too choices for most good teams. This pokemon seeks to balanced out the meta and provoke a challenge to these common and good pokemon. Giving a pokemon like this a major weakness to a more uncommon threats like Mega Heracross, mega-gardevoir, or even Mega-Aerodactly(but still common enough, we don't want gimmicks winning).

A pokemon like this could provoke players to use different teams and strategies in order to deal with it. Bringing in a new threat to the meta would keep the tier fresh and non repetitive and could create a new play-style for other players to experiment with.

Edit: and Idea I have for anti meta is a pokemon that resists physical attacks while not becoming a Blissey of that type still retaining decent spD

Last edited:
Name: Special Attacker Counter
General Description: Something that has an ability / move pool to deal with the many special attackers in the tier.
Explanation: Why is Landoge so good? One reason is that it has the ability to check common Pokes like Kanga and Terrekion with intimidate. Thats also a reason why pokemon like Scrafty and Hitmontop are also good. That leaves physical attackers not as good as they could be, and special attackers comparatively better. I think it would be kind of cool to make and would balance the game out a bit.

Alright, I really hate to make a rebuttal post this early in the discussion, but I don't envision CAP as a way to change the current metagame, balance it (btw it's already balanced...) or design a "cool new poke." I see the PS chat is discussing new typings for a poke and such, and frankly, that's the wrong way to view this project. I think submissions should be designed so they explore a part of a metagame instead of changing it, such as "perfect FWG core member" to show the effects of this type of core on the metagame (feel free to take that idea n_n). Anti-metagame Pokemon and things that counter special attackers are not the best way to explore the already established doubles metagame, which by the way, was the whole point of making this CAP.

edit: waiting for the pwne disagreement rant n_n

Last edited:
Name: The forgotten sand.

General Description: A pokemon that can help make sand teams more viable in a doubles XY metagame.

Explanation: When gen 6 came, weather suffered a huge blow with the new weather mechanics, while sun and rain are still relevant, sand on the other hand became rather unreleant. Tyranitar got worse this generation because of the rise of new pokemon like bisharp and landorus-T and the drop of usage of pokemon like Cresselia. Excadrill also suffered with landorus-T becoming the best pokemon.

Now the overall goal of this concept is to create a pokemon that can help sand overcome the issues it has for example being able to handle better rain,rotom-W,etc. While it's impossible to have one single pokemon check all of sand's issues but it will at least help sand become relevant in a doubles XY metagame.

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Name: Trickous Room maximus
General Description: A pokemon that makes full trick room viable
Explanation: Lets face it, full room is a terrabad playstyle due common taunters, bisharp, aegislash and spore spam. This mon should be able to deal with all of those, whilst being able to shine on a trick room team. It should not be perfect for trick room, but make it a relevant enough playstyle on par with weathers.

Last edited:

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Apparently srk1214 wants to be a leader too or something so why not, he'll be a co-TL, because he knows CAP almost as well as I do. If you have any questions about the project feel free to VM either of us, post in the peanut gallery, ask on IRC, basically anything but post in this thread.
Until Pwne asks for me to have project mods so I can actually be an equal co-TL and not just a lackey, please only direct your stupid questions to user Pwnemon (or user Birkal).

But yeah, I'm on board with this. Don't worry everyone. I'll keep Pwnemon in check. This is someone who once seriously suggested suspecting Rock Slide. My second opinion is needed.

pwne edit: srk is a bitch OK NO SHITPOSTING BELOW THIS LINE

pwne edit 2: ok well i did suggest suspecting rock slide, i also kind of just throw suspects at the council regularly and probably dont believe in them myself

---------------------------------

Last edited by a moderator:

Stratos

Banned deucer.
Alright, I really hate to make a rebuttal post this early in the discussion, but I don't envision CAP as a way to change the current metagame, balance it (btw it's already balanced...) or design a "cool new poke." I see the PS chat is discussing new typings for a poke and such, and frankly, that's the wrong way to view this project. I think submissions should be designed so they explore a part of a metagame instead of changing it, such as "perfect FWG core member" to show the effects of this type of core on the metagame (feel free to take that idea n_n). Anti-metagame Pokemon and things that counter special attackers are not the best way to explore the already established doubles metagame, which by the way, was the whole point of making this CAP.
I disagree. Every concept is going to be exploring the whole metagame; i mean take even your own, we're not just going to be examining perish trap, we're going to be seeing what parts of the metagame are unfavorable to perish trap, what parts perish trap needs to capitalize on to succeed, how to make a pokemon that helps perish trap shore up its weaknesses, etc. The beauty of CAP is that it's a fun project that allows us to explore the whole metagame.

Furthermore, I don't want every concept to be "make a pokemon that benefits x strategy." That's certainly a legitimate concept build and I've supported ones like that in the past, but it's not the ONLY possible concept build. Two other common molds are "make a Pokemon that x" (such as Necturna's make a Pokemon that learns sketch once or Voodoom's make a pokemon that partners perfectly with a pre-existing Pokemon) and "make a Pokemon that does x to the metagame" (which i'd argue that "make a pokemon that benefits x strategy" is actually a subset of.)

That being said, I'm still not a fan of fangame10's concept. Part of the reason is that the Doubles metagame really doesn't seem that centralized. I would certainly love to see more creativity in teams because creative teams are always super cool, but it's not like that's a main worry to me. Another reason is that CAP itself once did a "decentralizer" concept and it was kind of a massive flop. They found that even if you manage to make a Pokemon that counters the top 10 pokemon in the usage stats, the metagame will now just recentralize itself around your "decentralizer" which really wasn't what they wanted to happen.

Anty, i'm kind of a fan of your concept but not in its current form. For one, I don't agree that offense can't beat semi TR; the Pwnemon special has gotten harder and harder to use as time has gone by because offense has figured out how to be efficient enough at its rushdown that you can't often set Trick Room. But for two, even if you were right, you should really pick one of the two to focus on. Either a Pokemon that makes Full TR a viable strategy OR a Pokemon that serves as a good Semi TR check without breaking Offense's momentum. Both of those sound like great concepts, but not at the same time, it just seems too muddled.

Bughouse

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Fangame10
I'm personally of the opinion that "decentralizer" type concepts just won't have an impact. Unlike in singles, where Decentralizer has made for an interesting concept before, in Dubs there just isn't a good way to do this. The meta isn't centralized enough to sufficiently be able to be decentralized.

Moreover, being weak to Mega Hera means you're almost certainly also weak to Terrakion and Keldeo. Being weak to Mega Aero also means you're probably weak to Terrakion, etc. The underused threats are most often underused because they have smaller niches compared to their better counterparts that DO see use. Trying to be weak to something underused to promote its usage and therefore shake up the meta is a very tough path.

Name: Bulky antimidate mon (see what i did there)
General Description: A bulky, wallish pokemon that counters the ability: Initimidate in some way shape and or form.
Explanation So a Mon with counters the reasonably common ability Intimidate, which is especially powerful in doubles because it lowers both enemies attack stats. Currently, the only physical mon that doesn't have a problem with Intimidate is Bisharp, which is forced to run a Focus Sash if it wants to live hits from Landurous-T, Hitmontop or Scrafty. Being able to cover/aid your physical attackers when the enemy has intimidate users would be a really nice addition into doubles and see physical attackers become more prevalent. tl;dr nerf skylion

Stratos

Banned deucer.
my own concept, i spent a lot of time thinking about a bunch of different concepts that i was like ehhh but this this one popped into my head and i was like fuck yeah

Name:
Lockdown

General Description:
A pokemon whose presence on the field is used to restrict the opponent's choices, allowing the user to gain the momentum edge.

Explanation:
There are a lot of ways to restrict options, whether through Shadow Tag, Fake Out, Encore, or just straight up offensive pressure. And these restriction tactics (and their cousins, pressure and disruption) can be extremely effective—by limiting your opponent's moves and their "safe" moves you are easing prediction for yourself, allowing you to make the optimal play more of the time, and controlling the flow of the battle to set up your own endgame. But there's no one Pokemon in Gen VI that is the 'king' of such tactics. The goal of the CAP is to make a Pokemon which is mostly if not entirely used because it restricts options.

This concept was motivated by a couple things. One was thinking about Braverius's team that uses a shitload of restriction tactics like Shadow Tag, Final Gambit, and Fake Out to take control of the early game and make it a really treacherous place for the opponent, paving the way for an endgame sweep. Another was the role of Aerodactyl in VGC14, where it's used almost entirely for its potent restriction between Sky Drop, Rock Slide, Wide Guard, Taunt, etc, and how there's no SmogDubs parallel of Aerodactyl. The closest we come is Hitmontop, but it's kind of shitty because it loses the momentum it gained after the first turn or so. Lockdown would be a Pokemon that maintains a constant threat whenever it's on the field. Restriction is becoming an increasingly important factor to me the more I study the game and so I want to take the time to look at it through this CAP.

Name: Next Lando-T?

General Description: A poke that couples utility with attacking power while having few drawbacks, making it easy to put onto a wide variety of teams.

Explanation:
[03:41:41] ahsgsd: Whats the best poke in the meta
[03:41:47] @KyleCole: lando t
Lando-T is widely regarded as the best pokemon in the meta, but not centralizing, having a great ability in Intimidate and a solid attack stat. It is very easy to stick the scarf set onto many teams, or specialise it to fulfil a certain purpose (substitute, swords dance etc.). There are more pros for using lando-t, but i need not go into them.

The idea behind this concept is that i wonder of there is a combination of moves, abilities and stats that also has the same effect as lando-t does. A CAP project would be a great way to explore this idea, with the whole community pooling our ideas together to hopefully find what we could call the next Lando-T.

Name: Boosting Without Worries
General Description: A Pokemon who's extremely good at boosting, and perhaps even has to do so to be viable. Also very bulky/generally good at sticking on the field through different means.
Explanation: For most Pokemon, boosting is discouraged in Doubles. In the case of many special attackers, they are too frail/slow to handle an onslaught of attackers. For physical attackers though, there is some hope as many have either great durability with good typings or even carry priority. The most successful examples include M-Scizor, M-CharX, M-Kang and M-Gyarados. However, a large problem is Intimidate, and most commonly they'll be neutered before being slowly picked off without doing much damage. The goal of this CAP is to create a Pokemon reliant on boosting, and either does not care about Intimidate or is bulky enough to withstand offensive pressure (m-khan, landog and bird spring to mind). This can be through type (letting it beat most intimdators/tank hits from common threats), bulk (tank and spank) or even ability (Clear Body, Simple).
I'm hoping that this project will let us explore the possiblity of more successful boosting in Doubles, both physical and special, and find ways to support it better. Although, not that I want everyone to start using SD Garchomp .-.

Idyll

xD
is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
RBTT Champion
Name: Threadmaker

General Description: A Pokemon that is able to set Sticky Web reliably, providing another form of Speed Control in the metagame.

Explanation:
A cool new move introduced in XY is Sticky Web. For those who don't know, Sticky Web is a move that sets a hazard which lowers the Speed of all Pokemon by one stage, except those that are airborne (Flying-type, Levitate, Air Balloon, etc). Naturally, this would be a good form of Speed Control. However, the things that do get it are very bad: Galvantula is too weak and frail, Shuckle kills all momentum, lolSmeargle, etc. The goal of this concept is to make an actually viable Sticky Web-user and see how the hazard affects the meta.

The idea of this concept is to see how an omnipresent form of Speed Control would affect a fast-paced metagame where in momentum is king. Since being outsped in Doubles is basically a bad situation to be in, it would pretty much be one of the more usable forms of Speed Control on par with Tailwind. Having Sticky Web set lets teammates threaten Pokemon they shouldn't otherwise, example being Bisharp threatening Terrakion with a faster Iron Head. However, there are still Pokemon that are unaffected by Sticky Web, and there is still Trick Room which turns the tables on it completely. What I envision this Pokemon to be is something that still has use against these said factors. Basically, Threadmaker is a Pokemon that can set Sticky Web reliably, giving teams consistent momentum and field control, and see how it can affect the metagame as a whole.

name: switching is a metagame trend

general description: A Wish-passer that is actually worth using in Doubles.

explanation: Wish-passing is commonplace on bulkier singles teams, but Wish users are not seen in Doubles for a few reasons. Pokemon in Doubles need a significant offensive presence that current popular wish users in singles don't have. Otherwise the opponent's two Pokemon can just set up on it or ignore it and target the other Pokemon. This puts way too much pressure on the partner of any current wish passer. This CAP would be built to support the bulky offense playstyle without being a huge burden to the team.

Semi TRyhard
A TR setter that doesn't bend over to half the tier. This pokemon should have good synergy with common semi TR mons (conkeldurr, heatran, landorus-t), but also have good offensive presence, and reasonable defensive stats. Cresselia is getting worse and worse over time, and this pokemon should turn give players an option to use more offensive semi TR teams, but also have quality time on the field in itself.
If this idea is bad kill me, I couldn't think of anything better lol.

Level 51

the orchestra plays the prettiest themes
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
Name: Safe Passage
Description: A Pokemon that is dedicated to helping its teammates switch in and out of battle safely.
Explanation: There are a lot of great Pokemon in Doubles, but unfortunately they often have trouble getting into play under optimum conditions. For example, you may want to get that Kingdra into play while Rain is up, but it's risky business if your opponent has a Kyurem-B active. Once Kingdra is in, of course, it can force Kyurem-B on the defensive, and that's where this Pokemon comes in: in getting its teammates in and out easily.

Audiosurfer

I'd rather be sleeping
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Ok I figured I'd just critique a few ideas that I saw here:
  • Pwnemon's idea seems intriguing to me. Something I know from playing around with disruptors (and from Random Doubles lol) is that the ability to disrupt your opponent's playing often goes overlooked but is highly effective (for example, a well timed Sky Drop can be very useful, or how people were calling for a Mega Gengar ban a while back) so I'd definitely be interested in playing around with a less than conventional Pokemon.
  • champetero's idea seems interesting as well, although I'm afraid it could end up being either another conventional sand Pokemon or something that isn't really sand-specific and can work anywhere (including against sand). I'm still in favor of this idea too though, as I think that building a Pokemon that can handle some of the flaws of a typical Sand team while still being well-positioned to take advantage of being in Sand itself (which is the criteria the Pokemon would need to meet in my mind in order to justify its creation) is a very interesting challenge. There's more potential to get it wrong than in Pwne's idea in my mind, but there could also be an opportunity to create something really cool.
  • Anty's / Benja299's idea is cool too, albeit not as interesting to me simply because I don't play much Trick Room and when I do it's more semi Trick Room. Experimenting with Trick Room seems like it could potentially be fun though, so I'll remain neutral on this idea pending more info.
  • quickscopenoscope's idea: no
  • Fangame10's idea: creating a Pokemon to counter popular Pokemon is a bad idea imo for a few reasons. One, it's just not a very interesting challenge as there's no proof of concept going on (doesn't address a real hypothesis, is just 'let's check strong stuff') and two, a metagame where we built a Pokemon to just counter strong stuff would probably lead to it being centralized around said Pokemon.
  • Lolk's idea is playful and kinda interesting, but I'm just not sold on the idea of Wish-passing. I've rarely wanted it on a bulkier team, and I'd imagine that it'd just be incredibly difficult to try and get a lower health Pokemon in to receive a boost without just making a Chansey/Blissey with a switching move like U-Turn / Volt Switch / Baton Pass. Even if this existed I'm not sure if I'd actually wanna use it so I'm leaning somewhat against this atm.
  • Level 51's idea seems pretty similar to Lolk's in a sense, as the main issue is finding a way to bring in a teammate while having them take minimal damage. I could think of ways to get this done in the existing metagame if someone wanted to (slow Baton Pass on a bulky Pokemon is an option) so I'd really want to hear how you're envisioning this concept being unique from what is already there. Leaning against this for now though.
so yeah am mostly in favor of champ & pwne's ideas right now, although I'd love to hear people's responses to my points

im also liking champ and pwne's posts but i think its worth mentioning that pwne's lockdown idea would probably also accomplish the aid to perish trap idea in quick's post.

e: i also think trick room doesn't exclusively need a boost. if you focus on one setup for a team and it easily falls apart without it, it's not something we should be trying to buff. same with dedicated perish trap i guess.

Last edited:

Bughouse

Name: BRAKE STUPID METAGAME

General Description: A Pokemon that pushes the limits on what is too good for the Doubles metagame.

Explanation: Doubles has an exceptionally small banlist because of the 2 v 2 nature and the wide range of supportive options that make checking or countering anything possible with the right team. Even incredibly powerful threats like Mega Kangaskhan and Mega Gengar have avoided being banned. Heck, the majority of the community voted to remove sleep clause. The most centralized Pokemon in the metagame is Landorus-T, but I don't think anyone seriously considers Landorus-T broken or banworthy. It's just everywhere because it's very good and consistent, yet doesn't take up a Mega slot.

I propose we build a Pokemon that bends the metagame to its will. I am very interested to see if it is even possible and/or noticeable. Will people complain about it being OP more or less than other things people have previously called OP? What I think this CAP could achieve (since Mizuhime is always saying CAP is pointless) is that it would teach us how to think about banworthiness in Doubles. It's been an exercise in patience every time Doubles has done a suspect test because most people just don't agree on a definition of brokenness for this tier. We don't have any precedent, since the singles standards don't really work for us and since VGC has its own arbitrary and unrelated list.

Ultimately, learning how to think about banworthiness in Doubles by forcing ourselves to have that conversation across every thread of this CAP is a very good reason to do this concept. We'll be in ORAS before you know it, potentially testing any number of things, and it'd be good to know what we're doing before that happens.

EDIT: I've been informed by Pwnemon that my reference to an old CAP concept is wrong. I first wrote BRAKE STOOPID META, while the concept I meant to imitate was called BRAKE STUPID METAGAME. Fixed.

Last edited:
Name: Anti-Intimidate
General Description: A Pokemon that dissuades Intimidate
Explanation: I've been getting into Doubles (shoutout to @Audiosurfer!!) and I've noticed that Intimidate is flat-out great. Landorus-T, Hitmontop, Scrafty, especially with how common Landorus-T is, a Pokemon that prevents Intimidate. Right now, only Bisharp can really do this, but what if we add something more. Basically, a Pokemon that makes the opponent think twice about bringing in Intimidate users.

Name: Hail Sweeper

General description: A Pokemon that directly benefits from the ability snow warning or the move hail

Explanation: Rain...Sand...Sun...Hail. Long ago the 4 weather types lived together in harmony.......who am I kidding. Rain, Sun and Sand have been strong since gen 3 with hail having to wait until gen 4 to even get a setter. And then all he did was stop the weather condition that was favorable to the opponent. There are few good Ice type Mons in the meta and not one really benefits from hail except Abomasnow, who is usually the mega on the team and honestly only sets it up. This Mon doesn't necessarily have to be an ice type, but it's moves or ability should give it a decided advantage in hail, similar to how rain benefits swift swimmers or hydration, sun benefits chlorophil users, and sand helps with sand force or sand rush.

Reactions: Jho

Stratos

Banned deucer.
Hey, apparently there was confusion about this because people didn't read the OP—you are allowed to comment on and lobby for others' submissions. read the fucking OPs next time. they contain important information, and I manually rewrite them all to be as concise as possible so im kind of annoyed that that work went to waste.

Anyways, it's now time to vote! The votes in CAP all follow the same pattern: First we have a Preferential Block Voting segment which narrows down the slate of options to the top 3. We then hold an IRV runoff between the top 3 options to determine the ultimate winner. Each of these rounds lasts 24 hours. So your first slate for voting consideration, compiled between myself and srk1214, is as follows (in order of submission):

quickscopenoscope >>>
champetero >>>
Anty >>>
Pwnemon >>>
wllmagic >>>
Level 51 >>>
srk1214 >>>
This will be a Preferential Block Vote (PBV) (a form of Instant Runoff Voting which re-runs the counting, each time removing the previously top-ranked candidate in order to determine the 2nd most preferred, 3rd most preferred, etc.), the details of which are outlined here and here. This is a ranked vote: order does matter! You can upvote your favourites and downvote your least favourites. You may choose to rank as many or as few options as you like, but we encourage you to rank as many options as possible to ensure your preferences are taken into account.

Bold your votes and nothing else! A typical vote might look like the following:
First Most Preferred
Second Most Preferred
Third Most Preferred
Fourth Most Preferred
Fifth Most Preferred
Sixth Most Preferred

Any other comments you wish to make go here.
Please post only your votes in this thread. You are allowed to say whatever you like in relation to your vote at the bottom of your post, but please do not look to begin a discussion. Keep those comments to the peanut gallery or #doubles on IRC.

This voting round will last 24 Hours.

EDIT: approved by Co-TL srk

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)