UU Steelix

SM979

dank memes
is a Contributor Alumnus
Overview
########

ORAS gifted Steelix with a Mega Evolution, granting it better Attack, Defense, and Special Defense stats. Most notable is its sky-high base 230 Defense stat, tying with Mega Aggron's. Mega Steelix faces hefty competition from Mega Aggron, which is an arguably better tank due to its ability, Filter, but it does have more special bulk than Mega Aggron as well as a stronger Earthquake and a far better defensive typing before it Mega Evolves. Mega Steelix's fantastic defensive typing in Steel / Ground gives it a plethora of resistances and two immunities. Mega Steelix, however, misses out on the passive recovery that Leftovers would give it. Despite that, Mega Steelix is still a good Pokemon, having access to amazing STAB attacks such as Heavy Slam and Earthquake as well as great utility moves including Stealth Rock and Roar, although it misses out on Thunder Wave, which Mega Aggron gets. Mega Steelix deals with common UU Pokemon such as Raikou and Jirachi, and it walls the well-known VoltTurn combination, being immune to Volt Switch and resistant to U-turn.

Tank
########
name: Tank
move 1: Stealth Rock
move 2: Roar / Toxic
move 3: Heavy Slam
move 4: Earthquake
ability: Sturdy
item: Steelixite
evs: 252 HP / 56 Def / 200 SpD
nature: Impish

Moves
========

Thanks to Mega Steelix's massive Defense stat and great defensive typing, it gets many opportunities to set up Stealth Rock at no cost. Roar is a reliable phazing tool that forces out the opposing Pokemon, racking up Stealth Rock damage on the opponent's team. Dragon Tail is always an option over Roar but is less reliable since Fairy-types are immune to it, it is only 90% accurate, and it does not bypass Substitute or Protect. On the other hand, Toxic can be used to cripple walls such as Vaporeon, Suicune, Swampert, and Alomomola. Heavy Slam is a great option for Mega Steelix, as most of the time it will be at full power due to Mega Steelix's substantial weight, while Earthquake is a more reliable STAB option. Both Heavy Slam and Earthquake are boosted by Sand Force.

Set Details
========

252 HP EVs, 56 Defense EVs, and an Impish nature guarantee that Mega Steelix will survive a Life Orb-boosted Flare Blitz from Jolly Darmanitan while hitting a jump point in Defense. The remaining EVs are placed into Special Defense, making it easier for Mega Steelix to take special attacks.

Usage Tips
========

After setting up Stealth Rock, use Mega Steelix's fantastic physical bulk to take hits and retaliate with strong STAB attacks. Use Roar to rack up as much entry hazard damage on the opposing side as possible, weakening the opponent's Pokemon and making it easier for one of yours to clean up late-game.

Team Options
========

Specially bulky Pokemon such as Blissey, Florges, and Aromatisse are good teammates for Mega Steelix because they form a great defensive core with it and make up for its lack of recovery with Wish. Bulky Water-types such as Vaporeon, Slowking, and Alomomola provide great synergy with Mega Steelix, as they resist the Fire- and Water-type attacks that often come its way, and Mega Steelix is immune to the Electric-type attacks that could be coming their way; Vaporeon in particular can Baton Pass Wishes to Mega Steelix to guarantee it receives them. Grass-type Pokemon such as Roserade and Chesnaught can deal with the bulky Water-types that Mega Steelix has a hard time with and can also set up Spikes. Alakazam and Crobat are good partners for Mega Steelix because they can deal with the Fighting-type Pokemon that threaten it. Spinblockers such as Chandelure and Trevenant are great partners for Mega Steelix because they prevent the success of Rapid Spin. Finally, Hippowdon can be chosen as a partner because it sets up sand, which activates Mega Steelix's Sand Force. Keep in mind, however, that both Mega Steelix and Hippowdon are bulky Ground-types that serve a similar function; both set up entry hazards and phaze out opposing Pokemon, and they have little to no synergy with each other.

Other Options
########

Gyro Ball is an option over Heavy Slam due to Mega Steelix's abysmal Speed, but it is generally inferior because it has fewer PP. Stone Edge and Rock Slide are both viable options to hit Flying-type Pokemon for super effective damage.

Checks & Counters
########

**Bulky Water-types**: Bulky Water-type Pokemon such as Mega Blastoise, Vaporeon, Suicune, Swampert, and Alomomola take minimal damage from Mega Steelix and threaten it out with Scald.

**Rapid Spin Users**: Rapid Spin users such as Mega Blastoise, Starmie, Forretress, and Donphan can get rid of Stealth Rock and take pitiful damage from Mega Steelix's attacks.

**Rotom-H**: Rotom-H is immune to Earthquake, is 4x resistant to Heavy Slam, and can OHKO Mega Steelix with Overheat.

**Strong Special Attackers**: Nidoking, Starmie, and Chandelure are all great examples of special attackers that can OHKO Mega Steelix. They do, however, have trouble switching into it.

Last edited:

SM979

dank memes
is a Contributor Alumnus
I know this is just a WIP, but heavy slam > gyro ball in all scenarios because of how heavy mega steelix is and more pp it has compared to gyro ball.
Thanks for the quick reply. I think I'll put Gyro Ball in Other Options. Do you think Iron Head deserves a slash with Heavy Slam?

IronBullet

Astronomy Domine
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I wouldn't go as far to say that Hippowdon is a must-have partner for Mega Steelix, sure Sand Force is useful but having both Hippo and Steelix is kind of redundant as they are both slow, bulky Ground-types with similar functions of setting up SR and phazing. Using them on the same team adds up weaknesses to stuff like bulky Waters and strong special attackers. I would mention Hippo as an option for a teammate, nothing more. Otherwise everything else looks good so QC 1/3

Mention Vaporeon as a Wish passer in Team Options, as it has good defensive synergy with Steelix and can pivot into it with Baton Pass, something the other Wish passers lack. Other than that, this looks good.

2/3

Most of the time, you should lead with Steelix to set up Stealth Rock at the start of the game. After setting up Stealth Rock, spam Roar to rack up as much entry hazard damage on the opposing side as possible, weakening their Pokemon and making it easier for one of yours to clean up late-game. In the case where you don't decide to lead with Steelix, try to get a clean switch-in with it either after a teammate has fainted or on a predicted Poison- or Electric-type attack. This makes it almost guaranteed Mega Steelix will be able to set up Stealth Rock late-game.
You shouldn't lead with Steelix most of the time, only reason to put it into the lead position turn 1 is if you predict a favorable matchup. It's a slow bulky, that doesn't stop the opponent from setting up hazards and it has lots of mid / late game utility, unnecessarily risking it turn one just to setup SR isn't good. Additionally the chances of setting up Stealth Rock turn one and then being freely able to Roar while the opponent does nothing are extremely slim.

Hippowdon is a good partner for Mega Steelix as it can set up sand which activates its Sand Force Ability. Keep in mind, however, that both Mega Steelix and Hippowdon are very slow and bulky Ground-types that set up hazards and are good at phazing. Choosing to use them on the same team stacks up its weakness to bulky Water-types and special attackers. Specially bulky Pokemon such as Blissey or Florges are good teammates for Mega Steelix as they can form a great defensive core with it. Finally, Wish passers including Vaporeon, Blissey and Florges make great partners for Mega Steelix due to the lack of recovery it gets. Vaporeon is very notable due to the fact that it can pivot out into Mega Steelix using Baton Pass, and they have great defensive synergy together.
Not sure about Hippowdon being a good partner, they basically have the same function, no real synergy between each other and Sand Force boost isn't bad, but it isn't game changing either. I really don't think a team with Hippowdon has any reason to run Steelix.

This section also needs to be expanded, there more Pokemon than Vaporeon, Blissey and Florges. There are no mention of Grass-type Pokemon that can deal with bulky waters and even set up Spikes, in Roserade's and Chesnaught case. There are other bulky waters that have good synergy, like Alomomola (also a Wish passer) and Slowking. Pokemon that deal with Fighting-types like Crobat, because this isn't Aggron with Filter and it takes far too much damage. Maybe even mention the possibility of running a spinblocker.

==

I really don't like the Rest Talk set. Why does it deserve a team slot over any other mega, Swampert, Hippo, etc? Sure it gives Steelix more longevity, but without Stealth Rock + Roar I don't see many reasons to run Steelix.

Feel free to use Rest even at half health; Mega Steelix should always be as healthy as possible. Not doing so could result in Mega Steelix being outsped the following turn and fainting. Feel free to even use Rest on the turn it wakes up for the same reason. Try getting a clean switch-in with it either after a teammate has fainted or on a predicted Poison- or Electric-type attack so it isn't worn down too fast.
Steelix is the kind of Pokemon that shouldn't try getting a clean switch-in, it's a tank capable of taking a lot of punishment without going down and it will regularly have to switch into Pokemon that damage it. It has Rest on this set anyway, it can deal with chip damage efforltlessly.

==

My main concern with this analysis is that I honestly don't see any reason to use Mega Steelix. Mega Aggron, Swampert and Hippowdon seem to be better Pokemon in nearly all possible scenario. This analysis make Mega Steelix look like a worse Mega Aggron with a Electric immunity.

This set does nothing to convince me to run Steelix over other common UU Pokemon and that's a problem.

SM979

dank memes
is a Contributor Alumnus
You shouldn't lead with Steelix most of the time, only reason to put it into the lead position turn 1 is if you predict a favorable matchup. It's a slow bulky, that doesn't stop the opponent from setting up hazards and it has lots of mid / late game utility, unnecessarily risking it turn one just to setup SR isn't good. Additionally the chances of setting up Stealth Rock turn one and then being freely able to Roar while the opponent does nothing are extremely slim.

Not sure about Hippowdon being a good partner, they basically have the same function, no real synergy between each other and Sand Force boost isn't bad, but it isn't game changing either. I really don't think a team with Hippowdon has any reason to run Steelix.

This section also needs to be expanded, there more Pokemon than Vaporeon, Blissey and Florges. There are no mention of Grass-type Pokemon that can deal with bulky waters and even set up Spikes, in Roserade's and Chesnaught case. There are other bulky waters that have good synergy, like Alomomola (also a Wish passer) and Slowking. Pokemon that deal with Fighting-types like Crobat, because this isn't Aggron with Filter and it takes far too much damage. Maybe even mention the possibility of running a spinblocker.

==

I really don't like the Rest Talk set. Why does it deserve a team slot over any other mega, Swampert, Hippo, etc? Sure it gives Steelix more longevity, but without Stealth Rock + Roar I don't see many reasons to run Steelix.

Steelix is the kind of Pokemon that shouldn't try getting a clean switch-in, it's a tank capable of taking a lot of punishment without going down and it will regularly have to switch into Pokemon that damage it. It has Rest on this set anyway, it can deal with chip damage efforltlessly.

==

My main concern with this analysis is that I honestly don't see any reason to use Mega Steelix. Mega Aggron, Swampert and Hippowdon seem to be better Pokemon in nearly all possible scenario. This analysis make Mega Steelix look like a worse Mega Aggron with a Electric immunity.

This set does nothing to convince me to run Steelix over other common UU Pokemon and that's a problem.
OK. I believe I have implemented everything you've said. However, I do feel as if I should keep the RestTalk set. Due to Mega Steelix's great defensive typing, it can switch-in to say, a Scarfed Rotom-Heat locked into Thunderbolt or something. It can rest up on the switch. Blissey / Florges / Aromatisse can use Aromatherapy to wake it up and it can constantly heal itself by forcing switches on opposing Pokemon.

And I may sound like a total jerk/idiot/stupid person for saying this, but I never thought of these analyses as guidelines for convincing people to use it, I thought of it as a guidelines for people who do want to use it.

Thank you for the advice.

I'm not Quality Control or anything, but it might be worth mentioning in the overview that Mega Steeelix faces some stiff competition from Mega Aggron, as Mega Aggron has filter, all of mega steelix's support moves with thunder wave being an extra one, as well as less weaknesses.

SM979

dank memes
is a Contributor Alumnus
I'm not Quality Control or anything, but it might be worth mentioning in the overview that Mega Steeelix faces some stiff competition from Mega Aggron, as Mega Aggron has filter, all of mega steelix's support moves with thunder wave being an extra one, as well as less weaknesses.
I implemented these. Thanks for the suggestion!

You don't need to "convince" people to use it, but if there's literally no reason to run X pokemon over any other mon, then there's no reason to have a X pokemon analysis. This is not the case for Steelix, just explaining what I meant.

Steelix has a lot of competition for a teamslot, but it has its perks and you should at least mention them. For example it deals with every Rachi including Mix (Hippo and Swampert don't), Raikou (Aggron doesn't and Swampert doesn't like HP Grass), Resits U-turn + immune to Volt Switch (ie: good against Volt Turn), Steelix's EQ is far stronger than Mega Aggron's EQ, and lastly it has significantly more special bulk than Aggron and its typing isn't completely horrendous before mega evolving.

If you don't mention all these things it just looks like a crappy Aggron.

SM979

dank memes
is a Contributor Alumnus
You don't need to "convince" people to use it, but if there's literally no reason to run X pokemon over any other mon, then there's no reason to have a X pokemon analysis. This is not the case for Steelix, just explaining what I meant.

Steelix has a lot of competition for a teamslot, but it has its perks and you should at least mention them. For example it deals with every Rachi including Mix (Hippo and Swampert don't), Raikou (Aggron doesn't and Swampert doesn't like HP Grass), Resits U-turn + immune to Volt Switch (ie: good against Volt Turn), Steelix's EQ is far stronger than Mega Aggron's EQ, and lastly it has significantly more special bulk than Aggron and its typing isn't completely horrendous before mega evolving.

If you don't mention all these things it just looks like a crappy Aggron.
I added these. Anything else? Hikari

Last edited:
I don't think the rest talk set should be there. I see literally 0 reason to use Mega Steelix if you arent even running rocks on it. I don't want to be stacking types in order to have rocks just to have an /ok/ rest talk wall that takes my mega spot. It also reflects by your usage tips on the Rest Talk set that it really just plays as a bit of a road block and doesn't really do anything. So remove the Rest Talk set and then just leave it as a SR'er who has an electric immunity and better defensive typing before mega, since that is basically all the niche that Steelix has.

QC 3/3

SM979

dank memes
is a Contributor Alumnus
I don't think the rest talk set should be there. I see literally 0 reason to use Mega Steelix if you arent even running rocks on it. I don't want to be stacking types in order to have rocks just to have an /ok/ rest talk wall that takes my mega spot. It also reflects by your usage tips on the Rest Talk set that it really just plays as a bit of a road block and doesn't really do anything. So remove the Rest Talk set and then just leave it as a SR'er who has an electric immunity and better defensive typing before mega, since that is basically all the niche that Steelix has.

QC 3/3
Implemented, thank you! This is ready for GP to take over.

Last edited:

P Squared

a great unrecorded history
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
amcheck
serial commas!

Overview
########

ORAS gifted Steelix with a Mega Evolution, granting it gaining better Attack, Defense, (comma) and Special Defense stats. Most notable isy, its sky-high base 230 Defense stat, boasting at a gargantuan 230, tying with Mega Aggron's. Mega Steelix faces hefty competition from with Mega Aggron, who which is an arguably better tank due to its ability having Filter. Mega Steelix, however, does have more special bulk than Mega Aggron as well as a stronger Earthquake. Compared to While Mega Aggron, who has a horrible typing before it Mega Evolves, Mega Steelix's has fantastic defensive typing in Steel / Ground, having gives it a plethora of resistances and two immunities. However, like every other Mega Evolution (wellllllll...rayquaza), Mega Steelix cannot hold any item other than its Mega Stone, meaning it misses out on the passive recovery that Leftovers would give it. Despite that, Mega Steelix is still a good Pokemon, having access to amazing attacks such as Heavy Slam and Earthquake, as well as great utility-based moves including Stealth Rock and Roar, although it misses while missing out on Thunder Wave, which Mega Aggron gets. and amazing attacks such as Heavy Slam and Earthquake. Mega Steelix deals with common UU Pokemon such as Raikou and Jirachi, and it resists the well-known VoltTurn core, being immune to Volt Switch and resistant to U-turn. All in all, despite its numerous flaws, Steelix finds itself a niche in UU thanks to its Mega Evolution.

Tank
########

Moves
========

Stealth Rock is put in the first moveslot of this set as it sets up entry hazards on the opposing side of the field. Thanks to Mega Steelix's massive Defense stat and great defensive typing, it gets many opportunities to set it up Stealth Rock at no cost. Roar is chosen for the second moveslot as it is a reliable phazing tool that forces out the opposing Pokemon, racking up Stealth Rock damage on the opponent's team them. Dragon Tail is always an option over Roar but is less reliable because due to Fairy-types being are immune to it, it is only 90% accurate, and it does having only 90 accuracy and not bypassing Substitutes or Protect. On the other hand, Toxic can be used to cripple defensive walls such as Vaporeon, Suicune, Swampert, and or Alomomola. Heavy Slam, which is put in the third moveslot, is a great option for Mega Steelix, as most of the time it will be at full power due to Mega Steelix's substantial weight. The last moveslot is dedicated to Earthquake, a secondary, more reliable STAB option. Both Heavy Slam and Earthquake are boosted by Sand Force when in the sand.

Set Details
========

252 HP EVs, 56 Defense EVs, (comma) and an Impish nature guarantee that Mega Steelix will live survive a Life Orb-boosted Flare Blitz from a Jolly Darmanitan while hitting a jump point (in HP?) at the same time. The remaining EVs are placed into Special Defense, making it easier for Mega Steelix to take special attacks.

Usage Tips
========

After setting up Stealth Rock, use Mega Steelix's fantastic physical bulk to take hits and retaliate with strong STAB attacks. Use Roar to rack up as much entry hazard damage on the opposing side as possible, weakening their Pokemon and making it easier for one of yours to clean up late-game.

Team Options
========

Specially bulky Pokemon such as including Blissey, Florges, (comma) and Aromatisse are good teammates for Mega Steelix because they can form a great defensive core with it. Bulky Water-types such as Vaporeon, Slowking, (comma) and Alomomola provide great synergy with Mega Steelix; they resisting the Fire- and Water-type attacks that could be coming its way, and Mega Steelix is being immune to the Electric-type attacks that could be coming their way. Grass-type Pokemon such as Roserade and Chesnaught can deal with the bulky Water-types that Mega Steelix has a hard time with and can also set up Spikes. Alakazam and Crobat make good partners for Mega Steelix because they can deal with the Fighting-type Pokemon that threaten Mega Steelix. Wish passers including Vaporeon, Blissey, Alomomola, Florges, (comma) and Aromatisse are great teammates for Mega Steelix because it lacks its own recovery and they can heal it using Wish, due to the lack of recovery Mega Steelix gets. Vaporeon deserves a special mention because it can use Baton Pass to pivot out into Mega Steelix, something that not many other Wish passers can do. Spinblockers such as Chandelure and Trevenant are great partners for Mega Steelix because they prevent the use of Rapid Spin. Finally, Hippowdon can be chosen as a partner because it sets up sand, which activates its Steelix's Sand Force Ability. Keep in mind, however, that both Mega Steelix and Hippowdon are bulky Ground-types that serve a similar function;: setting up entry hazards and phazing out opposing Pokemon. They have little to no synergy with one another.

Other Options
########

Gyro Ball is an option over Heavy Slam, due to Mega Steelix's abysmal Speed, but it is generally inferior because it has less PP. Stone Edge and Rock Slide are both viable options to hit Flying-type Pokemon for super effective damage.

Checks & Counters
########

**Bulky Water-types**: Bulky Water-type Pokemon such as Mega Blastoise, Vaporeon, Suicune, Swampert, (comma) and Alomomola take minimal damage from Mega Steelix and force it out by threatening it with Scald.

**Rapid Spin Users**: Rapid Spin users such as Mega Blastoise, Forretress, (comma) and Donphan can use Rapid Spin to get rid of Stealth Rock and take pitiful damage from Mega Steelix's attacks.

**Rotom-Heat**: Rotom-Heat is immune to Earthquake, 4x resists Heavy Slam, (comma) and can OHKO Mega Steelix with Overheat.

**Strong Special Attackers**: Nidoking, Starmie, and Chandelure are all great examples of strong special attackers that who can OHKO Mega Steelix. They do, however, have a troublesome time switching into it.

SM979

dank memes
is a Contributor Alumnus
amcheck
serial commas!
Implemented, thanks

also, about the rayquaza thing, I was originally gonna say "Like almost every other Mega Evolution, (frickin Rayquaza)" for the lols

Edit: one more thing. Looking at other analyses, it looks like I don't need that last sentence in the overview, so I took it out of the OP. :]

Last edited:

Winry

Super Graduate-Level Napper
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Add or Corrections / Remove / Comments
Overview
########

ORAS gifted Steelix with a Mega Evolution, granting it better Attack, Defense, and Special Defense stats. Most notable is its sky-high base 230 Defense stat, tying with Mega Aggron's. Mega Steelix faces hefty competition from Mega Aggron, which is an arguably better tank due to its ability, (AC) Filter. Mega Steelix, however, does have more special bulk than Mega Aggron as well as a stronger Earthquake. While Mega Aggron has a horrible typing before it Mega Evolves, Mega Steelix's fantastic defensive typing in Steel / Ground gives it a plethora of resistances and two immunities. However, like every other Mega Evolution, bar Mega Rayquaza, Mega Steelix cannot hold any item other than its Mega Stone, meaning it misses out on the passive recovery that Leftovers would give it. Despite that, Mega Steelix is still a good Pokemon, having access to amazing attacks such as Heavy Slam and Earthquake, as well as great utility moves including Stealth Rock and Roar, although it misses out on Thunder Wave, which Mega Aggron gets. Mega Steelix deals with common UU Pokemon such as Raikou and Jirachi, and it resists the well-known VoltTurn core, being immune to Volt Switch and resistant to U-turn.

Tank
########

Moves
========

Thanks to Mega Steelix's massive Defense stat and great defensive typing, it gets many opportunities to set up Stealth Rock at no cost. Roar is a reliable phazing tool that forces out the opposing Pokemon, racking up Stealth Rock damage on the opponent's team. Dragon Tail is always an option over Roar but is less reliable because Fairy-types are immune to it,; (comma -> semi) it is only 90% accurate, and it does not bypass Substitute or Protect. On the other hand, Toxic can be used to cripple defensive walls such as Vaporeon, Suicune, Swampert, and Alomomola. Heavy Slam is a great option for Mega Steelix, as most of the time it will be at full power due to Mega Steelix's substantial weight. The last moveslot is dedicated to Earthquake, a more reliable STAB option. Both Heavy Slam and Earthquake are boosted by Sand Force when in the sand.

Set Details
========

252 HP EVs, 56 Defense EVs, and an Impish nature guarantee that Mega Steelix will survive a Life Orb-boosted Flare Blitz from a Jolly Darmanitan while hitting a jump point in Defense at the same time. The remaining EVs are placed into Special Defense, making it easier for Mega Steelix to take special attacks.

Usage Tips
========

After setting up Stealth Rock, use Mega Steelix's fantastic physical bulk to take hits and retaliate with strong STAB attacks. Use Roar to rack up as much entry hazard damage on the opposing side as possible, weakening their Pokemon and making it easier for one of yours to clean up late-game.

Team Options
========

Specially bulky Pokemon such as Blissey, Florges, and Aromatisse are good teammates for Mega Steelix because they can form a great defensive core with it. Bulky Water-types such as Vaporeon, Slowking, and Alomomola provide great synergy with Mega Steelix; they resist the Fire- and Water-type attacks that could be coming its way, and Mega Steelix is immune to the Electric-type attacks that could be coming their way. Grass-type Pokemon such as Roserade and Chesnaught can deal with the bulky Water-types that Mega Steelix has a hard time with and can also set up Spikes. Alakazam and Crobat make for good partners for Mega Steelix because they can deal with the Fighting-type Pokemon that threaten Mega Steelix. Wish passers such as including Vaporeon, Blissey, Alomomola, Florges, and Aromatisse are great teammates for Mega Steelix because it lacks its own recovery and they can heal it using Wish. Vaporeon deserves a special mention because it can use Baton Pass to pivot out into Mega Steelix, something that not many other Wish passers can do. Spinblockers such as Chandelure and Trevenant are great partners for Mega Steelix because they prevent the use of Rapid Spin. Finally, Hippowdon can be chosen as a partner because it sets up sand, which activates Mega Steelix's Sand Force. Keep in mind, however, that both Mega Steelix and Hippowdon are bulky Ground-types that serve a similar function;: (semi -> colon) setting up entry hazards and phazing out opposing Pokemon. They have little to no synergy with one another.

Other Options
########

Gyro Ball is an option over Heavy Slam, due to Mega Steelix's abysmal Speed, but it is generally inferior because it has less PP. Stone Edge and Rock Slide are both viable options to hit Flying-type Pokemon for super effective damage.

Checks & Counters
########

**Bulky Water-types**: Bulky Water-type Pokemon such as Mega Blastoise, Vaporeon, Suicune, Swampert, and Alomomola take minimal damage from Mega Steelix and force it out by threatening it with Scald.

**Rapid Spin Users**: Rapid Spin users such as Mega Blastoise, Forretress, and Donphan can get rid of Stealth Rock and take pitiful damage from Mega Steelix's attacks.

**Rotom-H**: Rotom-H is immune to Earthquake, 4x resists resistant to Heavy Slam, and can OHKO Mega Steelix with Overheat.

**Strong Special Attackers**: Nidoking, Starmie, and Chandelure are all great examples of special attackers that can OHKO Mega Steelix. They do, however, have trouble switching into it.
1/2

Last edited:

tehy

Banned deucer.
Get (am)chekt

Oo is pretty thin, checks and counters could be a bit better, though its pretty good as is.

Comments:

The whole 'megalix cant hold item' is way too long and most people get that already; pretty much all people know that a mega can't hold an item even if they haven't thought about it in those terms (which as i say above most people have).

Sand Force only works in the sand, so saying they're Sand Force boosted is enough really.

In team options, you mention all the Wishpassers twice, so i combined the mentions. Also, spinblockers prevent spin from working, not from being used-a bit of a nitpick but i felt it was worth it.

Checks and counters:starmie could go to spinners tbh, give it its own sentence since it takes fair damage and can ko too.

Overview
########

ORAS gifted Steelix with a Mega Evolution, granting it better Attack, Defense, and Special Defense stats. Most notable is its sky-high base 230 Defense stat, tying with Mega Aggron's. Mega Steelix faces hefty competition from Mega Aggron, which is an arguably better tank due to its ability, Filter.,(period to comma) Mega Steelix, however but does have more special bulk than Mega Aggron as well as a stronger Earthquake. While Mega Aggron has a horrible typing and a far better defensive typing typing before it Mega Evolves,.(period to comma) Mega Steelix's fantastic defensive typing in Steel / Ground gives it a plethora of resistances and two immunities, but. However, like every other Mega Evolution, bar Mega Rayquaza, Mega Steelix cannot hold any item other than its Mega Stone, meaning it misses out on the passive recovery that Leftovers would give it. Despite that, Mega Steelix is still a good Pokemon, having access to amazing STAB attacks such as Heavy Slam and Earthquake, as well as great utility moves including Stealth Rock and Roar, although it misses out on Thunder Wave, which Mega Aggron gets. Mega Steelix deals with common UU Pokemon such as Raikou and Jirachi, and it resists walls the well-known VoltTurn core combination, being immune to Volt Switch and resistant to U-turn.

Tank
########

Moves
========

Thanks to Mega Steelix's massive Defense stat and great defensive typing, it gets many opportunities to set up Stealth Rock at no cost. Roar is a reliable phazing tool that forces out the opposing Pokemon, racking up Stealth Rock damage on the opponent's team. Dragon Tail is always an option over Roar but is less reliable because since Fairy-types are immune to it;,(semicolon to comma) it is only 90% accurate, and it does not bypass Substitute or Protect. On the other hand, Toxic can be used to cripple defensive walls such as Vaporeon, Suicune, Swampert, and Alomomola. Heavy Slam is a great option for Mega Steelix, as most of the time it will be at full power due to Mega Steelix's substantial weight.,(period to comma) The last noveslot is dedicated to while Earthquake,(rc) is a more reliable STAB option. B;(period to semicolon, decapitalize) both Heavy Slam and Earthquake are boosted by Sand Force when in the sand.

Set Details
========

252 HP EVs, 56 Defense EVs, and an Impish nature guarantee that Mega Steelix will survive a Life Orb-boosted Flare Blitz from a Jolly Darmanitan while hitting a jump point in Defense at the same time. The remaining EVs are placed into Special Defense, making it easier for Mega Steelix to take special attacks.

Usage Tips
========

Team Options
========

Specially bulky Pokemon such as Blissey, Florges, and Aromatisse are good teammates for Mega Steelix because they can form a great defensive core with it and make up for its lack of recovery with Wish. Bulky Water-types such as Vaporeon, Slowking, and Alomomola provide great synergy with Mega Steelix;,(semicolon to comma) as they resist the Fire- and Water-type attacks that could often be coming often come its way, and Mega Steelix is immune to the Electric-type attacks that could be coming their way; Vaporeon in particular can Baton Pass Wishes to Steelix to guarantee it receives them. Grass-type Pokemon such as Roserade and Chesnaught can deal with the bulky Water-types that Mega Steelix has a hard time with and can also set up Spikes. Alakazam and Crobat make for good partners for Mega Steelix because they can deal with the Fighting-type Pokemon that threaten it. Mega Steelix. Wish passers such as Vaporeon, Blissey, Alomomola, Florges, and Aromatisse are great teammates for Mega Steelix because it lacks its own recovery and they can heal it using Wish. Vaporeon deserves a special mention because it can use Baton Pass to pivot out into Mega Steelix, something that not many other Wish passers can do. Spinblockers such as Chandelure and Trevenant are great partners for Mega Steelix because they prevent the usesuccess of Rapid Spin. Finally, Hippowdon can be chosen as a partner because it sets up sand, which activates Mega Steelix's Sand Force. Keep in mind, however, that both Mega Steelix and Hippowdon are bulky Ground-types that serve a similar function:;(colon to semicolon) both setting up entry hazards and phazing phaze out opposing Pokemon.(period to comma), and (decapitalize)Tthey have little to no synergy with one another.

Other Options
########

Checks & Counters
########

**Bulky Water-types**: Bulky Water-type Pokemon such as Mega Blastoise, Vaporeon, Suicune, Swampert, and Alomomola take minimal damage from Mega Steelix and force it out by threatening it with Scald.

**Rapid Spin Users**: Rapid Spin users such as Mega Blastoise, Forretress, and Donphan can get rid of Stealth Rock and take pitiful damage from Mega Steelix's attacks.

**Rotom-H**: Rotom-H is immune to Earthquake, 4x resistant to Heavy Slam, and can OHKO Mega Steelix with Overheat.

SM979

dank memes
is a Contributor Alumnus
Get (am)chekt

Oo is pretty thin, checks and counters could be a bit better, though its pretty good as is.

Comments:

The whole 'megalix cant hold item' is way too long and most people get that already; pretty much all people know that a mega can't hold an item even if they haven't thought about it in those terms (which as i say above most people have).

Sand Force only works in the sand, so saying they're Sand Force boosted is enough really.

In team options, you mention all the Wishpassers twice, so i combined the mentions. Also, spinblockers prevent spin from working, not from being used-a bit of a nitpick but i felt it was worth it.

Checks and counters:starmie could go to spinners tbh, give it its own sentence since it takes fair damage and can ko too.
Implemented, thanks for the am check
Also I edited some things you did because it didn't make much sense, the run on sentence that explains its typing and unable to use leftovers didn't make sense together

Last edited:

frenzyplant

Inertia is a property of matter.
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
2/2 :)

add remove (comments)

Overview
########

ORAS gifted Steelix with a Mega Evolution, granting it better Attack, Defense, and Special Defense stats. Most notable is its sky-high base 230 Defense stat, tying with Mega Aggron's. Mega Steelix faces hefty competition from Mega Aggron, which is an arguably better tank due to its ability, Filter, but it does have more special bulk than Mega Aggron as well as a stronger Earthquake and a far better defensive typing before it Mega Evolves. Mega Steelix's fantastic defensive typing in Steel / Ground gives it a plethora of resistances and two immunities. Mega Steelix, however, misses out on the passive recovery that Leftovers would give it. Despite that, Mega Steelix is still a good Pokemon, having access to amazing STAB attacks such as Heavy Slam and Earthquake, (remove comma) as well as great utility moves including Stealth Rock and Roar, although it misses out on Thunder Wave, which Mega Aggron gets. Mega Steelix deals with common UU Pokemon such as Raikou and Jirachi, and it walls the well-known VoltTurn combination, being immune to Volt Switch and resistant to U-turn.

Tank
########

Moves
========

Thanks to Mega Steelix's massive Defense stat and great defensive typing, it gets many opportunities to set up Stealth Rock at no cost. Roar is a reliable phazing tool that forces out the opposing Pokemon, racking up Stealth Rock damage on the opponent's team. Dragon Tail is always an option over Roar but is less reliable since Fairy-types are immune to it, it is only 90% accurate, and it does not bypass Substitute or Protect. On the other hand, Toxic can be used to cripple defensive walls (walls are by definition defensive) such as Vaporeon, Suicune, Swampert, and Alomomola. Heavy Slam is a great option for Mega Steelix, as most of the time it will be at full power due to Mega Steelix's substantial weight, while Earthquake, (remove comma) is a more reliable STAB option. Both Heavy Slam and Earthquake are boosted by Sand Force.

Set Details
========

Usage Tips
========

After setting up Stealth Rock, use Mega Steelix's fantastic physical bulk to take hits and retaliate with strong STAB attacks. Use Roar to rack up as much entry hazard damage on the opposing side as possible, weakening their the opponent's Pokemon and making it easier for one of yours to clean up late-game.

Team Options
========

Specially bulky Pokemon such as Blissey, Florges, and Aromatisse are good teammates for Mega Steelix because they can form a great defensive core with it and make up for its lack of recovery with Wish. Bulky Water-types such as Vaporeon, Slowking, and Alomomola provide great synergy with Mega Steelix, as they resist the Fire- and Water-type attacks that often come its way, and Mega Steelix is immune to the Electric-type attacks that could be coming their way; Vaporeon in particular can Baton Pass Wishes to Mega Steelix to guarantee it receives them. Grass-type Pokemon such as Roserade and Chesnaught can deal with the bulky Water-types that Mega Steelix has a hard time with and can also set up Spikes. Alakazam and Crobat are good partners for Mega Steelix because they can deal with the Fighting-type Pokemon that threaten it. Spinblockers such as Chandelure and Trevenant are great partners for Mega Steelix because they prevent the success of Rapid Spin. Finally, Hippowdon can be chosen as a partner because it sets up sand, which activates Mega Steelix's Sand Force. Keep in mind, however, that both Mega Steelix and Hippowdon are bulky Ground-types that serve a similar function; both set up entry hazards and phaze out opposing Pokemon, and they have little to no synergy with each other one another. (use one another for more than two subjects only)

Other Options
########

Gyro Ball is an option over Heavy Slam due to Mega Steelix's abysmal Speed, but it is generally inferior because it has less fewer PP (PP are countable). Stone Edge and Rock Slide are both viable options to hit Flying-type Pokemon for super effective damage.

Checks & Counters
########

**Bulky Water-types**: Bulky Water-type Pokemon such as Mega Blastoise, Vaporeon, Suicune, Swampert, and Alomomola take minimal damage from Mega Steelix and threaten force it out by threatening it with Scald.

**Rapid Spin Users**: Rapid Spin users such as Mega Blastoise, Starmie, Forretress, and Donphan can get rid of Stealth Rock and take pitiful damage from Mega Steelix's attacks.

**Rotom-H**: Rotom-H is immune to Earthquake, is 4x resistant to Heavy Slam, and can OHKO Mega Steelix with Overheat.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)