Programming EV Spread Usage Statistics

Quite Quiet

why fall in love when you can fall asleep
is a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
TFP Leader
This post by dodmen and Antar's reply got me working on something that could feasibly give a more representative picture of how EV spreads were distributed for Pokemon. The end result came out to be:

https://spread-usage.herokuapp.com/

With a bunch of trial and error in an attempt to figure out what kind of conditions gave useful results, this looks over an EV spread, and if they're less than 24 EVs appart (this is an arbitrary limit for now) the usage of both those spreads will be combined into the more used one. This does mean you won't find out what stat most people put their last 4 EVs into when they run 252 Atk / 252 Spe, but instead you'll get a somewhat better representation of what general spreads people are using without sub-optimizations.

I plan to get this working for just Natures at some point too (or just EV spreads, ignoring nature, I suppose) but this is what's currently done. I guess I could also allow people to set the own limits, if that's interesting to people.

User DTC complained about the colours on the site, though :(

Hey, this is actually a pretty cool tool.

A minor suggestion, however - what about a "loading" animation? At least to give the feeling it's actually retrieving information... but other than that, there's not much that could be added. Maybe an option to just bring top 10 spreads (e.g. Tried to look for Talonflame spreads and it took a while).

(BTW, lol there are usage stats for Shedinjas with EVs on HP in OU)

Quite Quiet

why fall in love when you can fall asleep
is a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
TFP Leader
Maybe an option to just bring top 10 spreads (e.g. Tried to look for Talonflame spreads and it took a while).
I'm not currently saving every single usage log myself (it takes up way too much space). So for the first request you make that day (roughly) has to go get the file from smogon's servers. The actual calculations takes ~5 seconds at most (depends on what tier, OU/Randbats take the longest because largest files), but downloading a 40MB file takes much longer. I keep the file around for a while though, so it's only for your first request, and not any following that first. And it's not currently feasible for me to store the amount of storage 1 year of data would take. So even if I'd limit it to top 10, the times when I needs to download a file will sill take much longer :/

I can do the loading thing, though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)