3rd Gen Teams Archive

I aimed to make an all RBY team for ADV UU, and then I figured out I could make about the most ridiculously offensive team of all time. I beat people with it for a long time, even when they had Vileplume AND Gligar it was still a 50/50 shot. I started having a lot of problems when stuff like Curse Quagsire/Rain Dance and also spikes teams popped up, so some sort of change would have to be made to deal with stuff like that. I retired a long, long time ago, so I never had a reason to deal with it. This was still my favorite team to play with across any metagame from any generation because using 3 swords dancers, 1 belly drummer, and 2 choice banders is the most hilarious thing possible to me.

I would say that Poliwrath and Scyther are the single most important. You can take a hit from a lot of things and still get off Belly Drum, and Scyther can also take a hit while Swords Dancing. Both have the most optimal sweeping situations once actually setup on top of that. Even better, a Poliwrath that pulled off subsitute-->belly drum survives the first priority attack and lives on to keep beating things up.

Pinsir is the lead for this team because its resistances/overall defenses are the least useful later on, and it can put very early pressure on opponents while you figure out what sacrifices you need to make in the course of the battle.

Anyway this was my attempt at the manliest, most tasteful pokemon team ever, I hope someone enjoys it or whatever. If any of you play it with anything but RB sprites I will murder you.

Pinsir (F) @ Salac Berry ** Kingpin
Trait: Hyper Cutter
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Bug]
- Rock Slide [apparently double-edge is better than this, I have no idea]
- Swords Dance

Poliwrath (M) @ Salac Berry
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 12 HP / 252 Atk / 40 Def / 204 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Belly Drum
- Brick Break
- Hidden Power [Ghost]
- Substitute

Fearow (F) @ Choice Band
Trait: Keen Eye
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 1 Def / 252 Spd / 1 SDef
- Double-Edge
- Drill Peck
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Quick Attack

Kangaskhan (F) @ Choice Band
Trait: Early Bird
EVs: 20 HP / 252 Atk / 236 Spd
- Double-Edge
- Earthquake
- Fake Out
- Shadow Ball

Kabutops (F) @ Salac Berry ** The Thing
Trait: Swift Swim
EVs: 132 HP / 252 Atk / 124 Spd
- Endure
- Flail
- Rock Slide
- Swords Dance

Scyther (M) @ Liechi Berry
Trait: Swarm
EVs: 4 HP / 244 Atk / 8 Def / 252 Spd
- Hidden Power [Flying]
- Reversal
- Substitute
- Swords Dance

gorgie

formerly Floppy, now Rock hard
"The Metagame Changer"..."HallowTar" -- so legendary.

@CK is there a reason why you left off 4 EVs on Pinsir? Or did you not notice? Also, as you may have already realized, D-E > Rock Slide is optimum. Hits everything RS is intended for just as hard, or harder. May want to add a note about that for anyone that may decide to use the team.

"The Metagame Changer"..."HallowTar" -- so legendary.

@CK is there a reason why you left off 4 EVs on Pinsir? Or did you not notice? Also, as you may have already realized, D-E > Rock Slide is optimum. Hits everything RS is intended for just as hard, or harder. May want to add a note about that for anyone that may decide to use the team.

Pinsir is so
it doesn't need the extra EVs!

I am sure I just never noticed, it could not go into HP because of salac berry I assume so I probably just forgot to put it in defense or special defense.

I did not know enough about double-edge or rock slide anymore to make a comment...on that team mouths thing (just read after posting my team) it said double-edge was better, I have no experience with that so I did not exactly want to make any uneducated comment.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Thanks for that sweet overview on ADV UU, spies - you really brought that meta back to life. CaptKirby's team also showcases the physical power houses of that meta - CB Fearow and Kangaskhan were pretty much everywhere.

I really dig your team, Draco Malfoy and Halloween! I am surprised how many teams played bulky Gengar :o - I do not remember people playing bulky Gengar that frequently, but maybe it's just the pros who used bulky gar :d No love for Dusclops, hehe

Umby

I'm gonna bury you in the ground~
is a Contributor Alumnus
When I'm not being lazy, I'll go through whatever was posted in this thread, provided they have sufficient descriptions of how the team works. I'll then incorporate them into the OP in some format, ask for feedback, and we'll go from there. Savvy?

FM made this team and gave this team to me years back. It's pretty similar to MDragons but it does have some key differences.

Cloyster (M) @ Leftovers
- Explosion
- Spikes
- Surf
- Ice Beam

Nidoking (M) @ Leftovers
- Lovely Kiss
- Earthquake
- Ice Beam
- Fire Blast

Snorlax (M) @ Leftovers
- Curse
- Selfdestruct
- Earthquake
- Body Slam / Return / Double-Edge

Gengar (M) @ Leftovers
- DynamicPunch
- Ice Punch
- Thunderbolt
- Explosion

Steelix (M) @ Leftovers
- Roar
- Earthquake
- Curse
- Explosion

Exeggutor (M) @ Leftovers
- Explosion
- Psychic
- Sleep Powder
- Stun Spore

Explode with everything...Nidoking is a fuckin baller. This team was really just about Exploding and then killing shit with Nidoking. I'm pretty sure I got everything right but if FM wants to correct me on a moveset then yeah.

Umby

is a Contributor Alumnus
Alright, so I've edited the OP. Currently it only contains the teams in gene's first post that have any form of write up in it. These are just place holders so that I can figure out a nice looking format for the OP (feel free to offer suggestions, as usual).

Now I mentioned before, I'm currently looking only at the teams that have some sort of descriptions of them. So far these include:

- gene's teams, listed in the OP
- shrapn3l's UU team
- M Dragon's teams, though the descriptions are brief.
- MarceloDK's stall team with mention of VIL's old team
- Loki's teams
- Jabba's team
- KG's team
- Jorgen's team, with brief description
- Conflict's GSC team
- spies' sunnybeam ADV UU team
- DracoMalfoy's teams
- CaptKirby's ADV UU team
- I guess kd24's/FM's team?

The main input I want back from you guys is:
- How extensive should the descriptions of each team be for archive purposes?
- How should we determine which teams are worthy of being archived?
- How opposed would owners of the respective teams be with creating new, detailed RMT topics that I can just link to so the OP edit isn't super huge and super disorienting?
- Offer ideas for formatting the OP, whether it be adding "team types" next to the team owner/name, omitting team names altogether, adding pictures, whatever. Just toss things out there.

How extensive should the descriptions of each team be for archive purposes?

As much as deemed necessary by the team's creator. Or in the event it's just a historic team with no singular creator

How should we determine which teams are worthy of being archived?

This one is important in my eyes. To me, I think something like this is almost entirely for nostalgia's sake for the vets, and for the newer players, a way to "see and experience" the past gen. So, #1 looked for quality is significance.

There are teams that come along and completely turn the metagame upside its head. They're rare, but they do exist. Teams that are somewhat iconic. And tbh, some of these teams can't really be attributed to just one owner. Celia's team should get the nod for this reason alone. Personally I think Vil's Celebi, Rhydon, Umbreon, Cloyster, Machamp, Raichu team is game-defining as well. Your… Alakazam/Starmie/Lapras, Egg, Golem/Rhydon, Chansey, Snorlax/Gengar, Tauros RBY gets the "community" nod/badge.

Also along the same lines, creativity should come into play. This is completely subjected to a time-context judgement though, for obvious reasons. Success, at least on a small scale, is pretty important in this department too, since creativity without the success isn't creativity at all. I think 2-3 years ago, Nitro used a Toxic team to some 50-3 win rate against RBY players. Personally I think Vil's Celebi, Rhydon, Umbreon, Cloyster, Machamp, Raichu team is game-defining as well as being creative.

And finally, every major contributor to each gen should get his/her own "just-because" entry.This falls in line with the "significance" bit, but this one correlates with players rather than teams. e.g for GSC, groudon80 (I'm not gonna call you gene) should be able to submit teams that he really likes and finds awesome, completely independent of previous subjugations, because he himself is a significant contributor. Floppy should too. I should too. ViL should too. havoc should too. Jorgen too. Bob too. Maybe mop. Idk what other vets are left. But yeah.

Just my opinion.

I don't have anything new to add to this thread unless you want to see some mediocre teams I made in Gen IV haha. But this thread did inspire me to start archiving good Gen V Ubers teams I see in my ladder experiences.

I only have 3 teams so far, which are either balanced or stall teams. Which makes sense, many good Ubers players like using stallish teams. There's still a lot of creativity we see, including sets such as Wall Normal Arceus and Xatu. But I don't pretend its an accurate measure of the Ubers game, since players like Taylor prefer offensive teams.

In my opinion, the detail should be enough that with access to the Smogon Dex, you can recreate the entire team.

Salamence (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 108 HP / 252 Atk / 148 Spd
- Brick Break
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Flying]
- Rock Slide

Standard CB mence with adamant hera speed + small speed creep. Good for heavy physical hits once skarm is out of the picture (I have a magneton). Brick Break for lax/tar. It is important for pressuring celebi and fighters (heracross). Intimidate is also a must-have for switching into stuff like DDers especially, since it forces them to guess whether you are switching again or attacking blah blah blah. Can take wishes from vap if they send something like celebi into it.

Metagross @ Leftovers
Trait: Clear Body
EVs: 248 HP / 176 Atk / 64 Def / 20 Spd
Brave Nature (+Atk, -Spd)
- Earthquake
- Explosion
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Meteor Mash

Utility physical attacker. Used as backup (defensive explosion) against a lot of stuff and offensively explodes hopefully on something preventing the other guys from wrecking (e.g. Milotic). HP Grass so I don't have to risk exploding on protect Swampert for example. The Def EVs are because I found people like chipping away at Metagross and then sending in Dug at some point, so now they won't realise that they haven't chipped enough and it ends up dying. Same applies to +1 DDtar EQing and probably others...

Snorlax (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Immunity
EVs: 248 HP / 140 Atk / 116 SDef / 4 Spd
- Body Slam
- Earthquake
- Selfdestruct
- Shadow Ball

Physical attacker + special attack taker. People usually don't expect all three of Bslam + EQ + Sball so that helps me hit Gengar hard quite often. When I made this team SDlax wasn't so common but now I guess it's not as much of a surprise, but I think people all think of mixlax when they think Selfdestruct so somehow it kills stuff. Also a utility explosion is always nice. This is the main receiver of vaporeon's wish since it is very important that this can come in on Zapdos and still be healthy. One of the key concepts behind this team is to not let the typical spikes + sandstorm teams wear me down which is why I run both Mag and Claydol as you will see. The idea behind the entire team in fact is to wreck people with physical things without letting them get worn down by the ever-present Spikes of the modern RSE metagame.

Magneton @ Leftovers
Trait: Magnet Pull
EVs: 204 HP / 240 SAtk / 64 SDef
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Thunderbolt

Restalk mag walls the really common w-o-wgar sets (taunt/gdrain), and also obviously traps skarm / can trap a dented forret. Can also stall non CM bliss and maybe switch into annoying zapdos if it has to. Walling Gengar is the main thing with this. I personally spam HP Ice to scout Dug switches rather than try to double switch out. I often play this pretty cautiously initially in case someone tries the old skarm -> dug double switch right off the bat. I can afford to do this because I have Claydol.

Vaporeon (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Protect
- Surf
- Toxic
- Wish

Passes wish and physical walls things. Toxic because I love status and forcing stuff like cune to rest is good enough (subcune can be dealt with using lax, just read the situations right and you will be fine, crocune can either be exploded on or just spammed with CB hp flyings since it doesn't have IB, although it won't kill without a crit unless there's sand). This can also try PP stalling various mono-water cunes which I think is possible with well timed switch+switch backs, and obviously there won't be spikes to worry about.

Claydol @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 244 Def / 12 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Fire] / Ice Beam
- Psychic
- Rapid Spin

Rapid spinner with psychic for gengar. Nobody uses Dusclops. EQ for jirachi and DDtar and stab, HP Fire for forretress, ice beam for mence and flygon if you don't care about forretress. EQ doesn't hurt ttar as much as I'd like which has led to me getting ddtar swept a couple of times.

Overall I find even if this team is "walled" it is pretty good at staying alive against stall teams anyway so I can always play the stall game too, which is something I really like in teams. A couple of weak points are stuff like Fire Punch W-o-W Gengar, Dusclops, HP Bug ddtar under the right circumstances (weakened vap/gross, predicting mence correctly, weakened claydol, weakened lax or healthy ddtar), random things Toxicing vap... I am happy with this team though.

Umby

is a Contributor Alumnus
For the concerned, I am very slowly considering measures to get this ball rolling. However, I'm back in school, sleep during the day a lot because I don't sleep well at night, and another game is taking a huge chunk of priority over my leisurely activities. Feel free to keep posting/nominating teams, though separate RMT threads + a link would be highly appreciated right now, albeit unnecessary.

I don't know if anyone is interested in what I have, but I have some decent Gen IV Ubers teams (stall and offense) that I can post after the tourney, that won't be found in the RMT forum. I've ran these teams by more experienced players (Jiba, Iconic, Poppy, etc), of course.

Umby

is a Contributor Alumnus
Going to be editing stuff soon instead of making a new thread like I originally planned, but instead of doing a whole archive for gens 1-3, I'm going to start by making an archive exclusively for ADV. Keep nominating teams if you want, for any 3rd gen tier (hopefully via RMT thread; 200 play teams included), and it will be taken into consideration for archive purposes.

Carl

or Varl
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
no I think, MoP actually ran a non-Recover Starmie, lol

Sorry - these are the only teams I have recorded :x
I'm like way late on this but I don't even remember that advance team you posted under my name ._. Hope it was better back then than it looks now on paper.

This is a cool thread, though. Keep it up! Most of my team archives (not just my teams but others' as well) and logs from back then are long gone but keeping a centralized, community archive is a pretty great idea. I do have some more recent RBY stuff but that's less interesting..

I see a lot of people (mostly noobs) who are using some of these teams. Are they eligible to do so or are there consequences they have to take? And who am I supposed to talk to when I'm battling such a person?

Jorgen

World's Strongest Fairy
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
net-teaming is a serious crime and if you get caught the Smogon Net-Teaming Task Force (SNTTF) will work with federal authorities to find you, capture you, and punish you

Yeah people can use these teams, it's not that big a deal. If the posters were so afraid of net-teaming they wouldn't have posted the teams here in the first place! Just don't go overboard, and instead of just straight lifting these teams, use them to learn so eventually you can build your own teams.

Sweet, I was looking for a thread like this. I recognize many of these teams (superman for example from Veteran In Love) being a long time player myself. Let me contribute by posting my own team.

Milotic (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Marvel Scale
EVs: 252 HP / 224 Def / 32 SAtk
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Ice Beam
- Rain Dance
- Recover
- Surf

Milotic is a great lead. Can potentially counter a lot of the common openers, especially Salamence and Aero. Even Zapdos leads aren't safe if it packs Mirror Coat and switches always run the risk of running into hypnosis or toxic. Using status on Milo is usually not optimal due to Marvel Scale. Rain Dance is for clearing sand storm after t-tar ran into Snorlax or Zapdos in the event of tyraniboah/weird sets.

Snorlax (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Thick Fat
EVs: 144 HP / 68 Atk / 216 Def / 80 SDef
- Body Slam
- Brick Break
- Curse
- Rest

This is pretty much my special wall and t-tar counter. This team doesn't like t-tar that much and let t-tar be one of the most dominant OU pokemon in this generation. Needs to be wary of Focus Punch as well as basic CBtar.

Celebi @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 60 Def / 176 Spd / 20 SAtk
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Baton Pass
- Calm Mind
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Leech Seed

Kills Dugtrio and bps CM to Zapdos and occasionally Milotic. CM to Zapdos is really, really powerful.

Smeargle (F) @ Salac Berry
Trait: Own Tempo
EVs: 244 HP / 12 Def / 252 Spd
- Baton Pass
- Belly Drum
- Spore
- Substitute

You know what this is. The idea is to lure out their Blissey, Celebi or Starmie and sub, spore, belly drum and spore again due to natural cure healing them. You can come in on a seismic toss or when an opponent is already asleep. You can also come in on non-sleeptalk Skarmory laying spikes or sleeptalking Forretresses.

Medicham (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Pure Power
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
- Brick Break
- Frustration
- Hidden Power [Rock]
- Shadow Ball

Clean-up. OHKOs everything except a very tanky Groudon, which we won't be seeing. HP rock instead of rock slide for accuracy.

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 168 Def / 40 Spd / 48 SDef
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Thunderbolt

Bulky Zapdos. Used to run less speed and bold nature but adamant Heracrosses were giving me problems.

All in all a great team that is especially effective against teams that run skarmory and/or blissey. Has problems with TSS teams that run hp bug Forretress or pack a lot of explosion (Black Leather Jacket's team packs Selfdestruct Snorlax and Explosion Metagross for example). Agiligross with HP bug and explosion is also pretty painful. Despite this a very competent team.

cookie

my wish like everyone else is to be seen
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Just a disclaimer: CK's team is not very good I 6-0'd him? With the following team:

the weed picker (Fearow) (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Keen Eye
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Double-Edge
- Drill Peck
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Quick Attack
Kicking ass from the start. CB Double-Edge is ridiculously strong - the extra damage and chance to 2HKO things is worth the recoil. HP Grass 2HKOs Omastar/Golem, something HP Ground can't boast. If I want to stick around for longer Drill Peck is always an option.

weed dealer (Golduck) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Cloud Nine
EVs: 16 HP / 176 SAtk / 96 SDef / 220 Spd
- Calm Mind
- Psychic
- Substitute
- Surf
Sub's surprise factor is deadly, especially against incoming Hypno looking to soak Hypnosis. Even without the surprise, it still makes people think twice about statusing. Psychic because fuck Tentacruel and Vileplume gets hit hard anyway. Extra damage against Waters helps. I normally bring this in at the end when main walls have been slightly weakened.

the weed (Meganium) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Overgrow
EVs: 204 HP / 128 Def / 176 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Counter
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Leech Seed
- Grasswhistle
Grasswhistle gets Vileplume switching in the absorb seed, everything else gets seeded.

the weed smoke (Misdreavus) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 236 HP / 68 Def / 124 SAtk / 80 SDef
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Imprison
- Thunder Wave
- Thunderbolt
The number of things this walls is incredible once Thunder Wave/Hidden Power get locked out. Having an extra switch-in for CB Normal gives me the option of blowing up Golem if need be.

weed smoker (Hypno) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Insomnia
EVs: 252 HP / 1 Atk / 1 Def / 252 SDef / 4 Spd
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Psych Up
- Seismic Toss
- Shadow Ball
- Thunder Wave
Eat shit, Misdreavus. Psych Up levels the field against other Calm Mind sweepers, forcing a stalemate at worst.

??? (Golem) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 204 HP / 252 Atk / 52 Def
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Counter
- Earthquake
- Explosion
- Rock Blast
Rock Blast fucks up Scyther, and with Counter/Explosion I'm guaranteed one KO plus anything it manages to kill.

Gligar is a bitch. It's a fun team to play until you play someone who's seen the team before, which kinda destroys the number of surprises it has to offer. This team was great back in like 2007 or whenever it was made, but once things like Spikes and Wish became popular this team couldn't really stand up to them and got worn down. IIRC it was spies's team I played against in a tournament that marked this point.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)