3rd July - Manchester Gamerbase Tournement! War Story!

Hey guys Aeolian here. Or seb as some of you knew me as from the tournement ^^ Im just gonna give you a rundown of what happened and then add in some videos later. So i was up at 5am to catch a train at 7:11am to sheffield to then change to arrive at manchester. Took me about 10-15 minutes to get to Gamerbase considering i managed to some how get lost.. (Cant see how that happened.. men's sence of direction is perfect.. *insert sarc mark*) Anyway wasnt long before Kawaii, Eli and AnotherPoet arrived all ready for battle. Skara turned up shortly after. Id already seen havak and apparantly madman was kicking around somewhere. Kinneas was late at the time and we were all chilling talking to people (and each other) on the manchester tournement thread. :P How fun :L We had had to make Accounts with Gamerbase (mine can be found here: http://www.gamerbase.com/?a=users&user_id=53172) so we were able to log on and use the internet, games etc. AnotherPoet was after going on WoW, Eli was trying for Guild Wars and me and kawaii like normal people stuck to the forum and youtube ^^ (despite me agreeing about Guild wars being awesome.. i just couldn't be bothered due to its LONG upload..)
12:00: Tournament is starting! There are A LOT of people here today - the atmosphere is incredible! A lot of contestants brought friends and family with them to cheer them on, and you can hear them! Every match is ending with an applause from the main stage which is really helping the players to settle down and enjoy their battles. 12:20: No major upsets so far from the contestants taking part, some very very impressive trainers are here today, and their pokemon are just awesome.
Anyway we were called into the room where they had set up the wii's in order to start the tournement. There were about 44 people participating in total so there was about a 1 in 4 chance of getting a bypass to round two due to the number of people. (in order to fill it up there would have to have been about 64 people.. i think). As i was saying, Some people recieved bypasses, myself included, meaning i was through to round 2 without actually having to do anything. Brilliant! :D Skara, Kawaii and Eli werent so lucky however. Oh they all made it through there matches nicely. Skara Vs JayK - 4-0 to skara. (despite forgetting to put the damned chattot in the pc..) Kawaii Vs Callum - 2-0 to kawaii. Eli Vs Natalie - 3-0 to Eli. And when kinneas said he was going to be bringing a joke team i wasnt expecting a belly drum snorlax.. he was knocked out during round 1 2-1 due to time running out on a cresselia which really couldnt do a lot other than screens and icey wind. Still fun to watch ^^
13:00: The top 64 section of the bracket has now been completed and winners have progressed into the top 32. Matches are about to get started. Many thanks to all of those that made the journey here today who have gone out so early in the competition. 13:10: we're starting on the Top32 section of the tournament now! This is where the level of play will rise dramatically! The Main Stage action is really exciting to watch!
So on to round 2. Unbeknowns to me, Princessellielou had entered too so we eventually found her after getting a bypass to round 2. Unfortunately she was knocked out by a player named Victor winning 4-0. Rebecca managed to 4-0 her opponant DSP8 Skara managed to 1-0 his opponant gavin. Eli managed a 3-0 victory against ronic. Also a player named Benlisted who i had met at the tournement had proceded to beat DoctorOak 3-0. Unfortunately after a really intense battle AnotherPoet (Harry Wells) Lost against Toothache 1-0 which was an insanely close battle. The decider was if protect would work a second time. It didnt :/ Finally my match against andrew ended in a respectable 3-0. He played well :)
13:30: Special mention to gamerbase regular Akito who just knocked out of the top 32, in a very cool battle on the main stage, truly demonstrating how epic this game can be by his strategy being crumpled by a Critical hit!
So round 3 (top 16.) all i could say was wow.. to the battles taking place. Toothache got beaten by balakai who came runner up - the score was 4-0 :O Skara and Kawaii faced off in this round as well! two teams i had made - i didnt want them to fight :( was mean :L 2-1 to skara - GG to both of you :) you played well! Eli managed to beat matthew 3-0 and proceeded to the next round :D
14:15: We're in the final stages of the top 16 now, this really is an incredible game to spectate! A lot of the people knocked out in the earlier stages have stuck around to see how the tournament pans out, which is really nice to see.
Keelhauled who had won all matches up until now (i just noticed his name :L) lost 3-0 to Akira and i managed to beat Alteredegox 2-0 but again well played. The only appology i have to make was i thought you were a boy until i saw your character and name.. SORRY D:
14:20: The Quarter finals are now starting! The contestants have been announced and all 8 proudly sit at their stations having survived some epic battles... from this point on we'll see the champions progressing into the semi's!
Onto Round 4 - Top 8 (wow..) things were really heating up! Balakai beat ammir 1-0 and skara beat victor 2-0. Well played to both of you. Then eli lost to one hellishly awesome trick room team.. which i really wanted to battle :L 4-0 Vs Pikachimba Finally me Vs Akira.. Now this was an awesome battle. Albeit i made some mistakes (the same mistake twice.. >.<) but we actually ran out of time leaving us at 2-1 - which meant akira went through to the semi's!
14:37: The quarter finals have finished and now we're onto the semi finals! The next matches in the tournament are being played out on the main stage only - The tension is building! The 4 people knocked out in the top 8 received Pokeballs and a pack of Pokemon Trading Cards as Prizes for the efforts in the tournament - Well done!
{i handed mine to akira since he won so brilliantly.. i believed he then passed it on. :) Sophi i'll owe you one since you also played very well} The people who dropped out of the top 8 then had their photo's taken :D Anyway round 5 and top 4!
14:40: Semi Final 1 begins with Balakai and Skaraflame battling it out! This is a really exciting match! We're also recording this in HD so there will be a video to watch of this battle as a link from the tournament bracket! With the battle time being extended to 20 minutes, we're seeing it being used strategically! A few well placed earthquake attacks have left both players with 2 pokemon out of 4 remaining. An absolutely EPIC win by Balakai! Narrowly espaping death himself with only a few hp remaining manages to take down Skaraflames Tyranatar! Awesome, Balakai progresses into the Finals!
Balakai 2-0'ed Skara in an intense battle.
3:00: Semi Final 2 begins, and Pikachimba and Akiratron. Immediately Dark void is cast and Akiratrons team is asleep for the first 4 rounds of attacks! at 15 minutes remaining Pikachimba has 3 pokemon left and Akira has 2. at 10 minutes and Akiratron has turned it all around! with 2 remaining against Pikachimbas lone Smeargle! And Akiratron wins the match! he progresses into the final against Balakai!
Akira also 2-0'ed Pikachimba sending him into the final. Before the final round they hosted the 3'rd and 4th playoffs for this tournement. Skara Vs Pikachimba. Skara lost 2-0 :( So the FINAL ROUND! - both players would get the hg or ss game so they all got prizes :)
The Final: Akiratron and Balakai are ready to fight! They've both fought incredibly well to get to this stage considering the high level of the competition. Akiratron especially keeping the crowd hyped throughout! Akiratron getting an early lead taking out Balakais Metagross and Tyranitar, but then equally being beaten down by Balakais replacement Flygon and Garchomp! Akiratron is now down to only his Latios after after losing his Shiny Metagross and Zapdos! Amazingly Akiratron managed to take them both down with Latios! and is the tournament champion! Congratulations to Akiratron for taking 1st place, Balakai for 2nd, Pikachimba for 3rd and Skaraflame for 4th!
Balakai vs Akira.. Wow all i can say was WHAT A MATCH!! 1-0 to akira which was SO CLOSE!!
The prizes given out were as follows. 1st place, Akiratron = £20 HMV Voucher, Pokemon Heart Gold game, pokeball and certificate. 2nd place, Balakai = Pokemon Heart Gold game, pokeball and certificate. 3rd place, Pikachimba = £20 HMV voucher, Pokeball 4th place, Skaraflame = £10 HMV Voucher, Pokeball. The other 4 losers from the top 8 also received a Pokeball and a pack of Pokemon trading cards!
A massive thankyou once again to those that made the journey to Manchester today, it was a really fun and exciting tournament! We're looking to arrange the next one as soon as possible. Also a huge thanks go out to the admins who did an excellent job running each of the stations, and to gamerbase staff member Natalie for pulling the whole thing together :) Awesome day. Chris aka smile
Btw Thanks Chris :) On Behalf of PW! Manchester Tournement News and Highlights {Most of quoted sections} http://www.gamerbase.com/?a=post&id=71567 Printable copy of Tournement Bracket: http://www.gamerbase.com/competition.php?competition=58&size=5 Pictures Taken During the Event! http://www.gamerbase.com/?a=post&id=71658 {Credit to gamerbase for times and highlights. Also for providing with pictures and the tournement brackets - really helped alot.} VIDEO FOOTAGE COMING SOON!

{it was easier to just copy from my thread on PW}

Also for those who were wondering what i used here is the team i was using which got me to the top 8 :)
Weavile @ Focus Sash ~ Aeolian
Jolly
Pressure
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 SpE
Fake Out
Taunt {for dusknoirs..}
Night Slash
Ice Shard

Infernape @ Life Orb ~ Zak
Naive
Blaze
64 Atk / 192 SpA / 252 Spe
Fake Out
Protect
Heat Wave
Close Combat

Basically these two were my two fake outers designed to completely nullify then KO some leads like trick roomers etc.
As a team they are formidable since i get a free turn and then am able to sweep after removing any possible focus sash's.
Heat Wave to hit both foes.
Ice Shard for dragon types.
Night Slash for the peskier ghosts.
Close Combat for coverage.

Seemed pretty decent to me :) Ofcourse these could be interchanged with the rest of the team.

Garchomp @ Lum Berry ~ Atom {May rename to havak since he actually hosted the event, suggested by random people behind me}
Adamant
Sand Veil
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 SpE
Earthquake
Dragon Claw
Protect
Rock Slide

Garchomps fairly obvious as to why it has the moves. It fits in well with pokemon like zapdos and weavile, has decent coverage and is pretty powerfull. As for the lum berry.. well since he is paired up against most trick room teams with zapdos they are incredibly formidable, for these reasons:
Dark Void Smeargle wont be able to put them to sleep for the first time.
They are bulky so are able to somewhat stall the trick room team.
Their attacks mostly hit both pokemon so even if the foes are two trick roomers we can still do incredible damage.

Oh and i bet your wondering what the zapdos is.. well here it is:

Zapdos @ Chesto Berry ~ Tblakey89
Modest
Pressure
252 HP / 126 SpA / 132 SpD
Discharge
Light Screen
Detect
Heatwave

This is the second half, being able to counter Special Defencively, not being able to put to sleep for the first turn and with two moves giving the possibility of either 30% chance of parahax or burn hax id say this guys pretty deadly..

Finally the last two pokemon:

Metagross @ Occa Berry ~ Pokerob
Adamant
Clear Body
244 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 4 Spe / 4 SpD
Meteor Mash
Bullet Punch
Protect
Explosion.

Since i didnt wish to replace explosion or protect with earthquake i stuck with this.
It faired very well in the tournement, especially since occa berry helped it out of a few sticky situations.

Tyranitar @ Chopple Berry ~ DF
Adamant
Sand Stream
252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Protect
Crunch
Earthquake
Rockslide

This guy was there to help remove rain teams, hail teams and also provide some much needed ability abuse to garchomp.
Since 3/6 of my team resisted sand storm i figured it appropriate.
Chopple berry is obvious and the moves were to make sure i did appropriate damage to as many foes as possible.

Top 16!

1. Akira
2. Balakai
3. Pikachimba
4. Skaraflame
5. Aeolian
6. Ammir
7. Elliotstreet
8. Victor
9. Keelhauled
10. Toothache
11. Gonic
12. Rebecca {Kawaii}
13. Alteredegox
14. Aidenfreak
15. Matthew
16. Benlisted

thanks havak :) got more videos to upload yet and thanks to kinneas ive got all the semi's and beyond.

good warstory - gives an overall view of the whole comp too.

you missed out the bit of ''what's this ....the colosseum arghhhhhhhh!''

thats true lol
just lolage at how it repeated itself over and over again :L

"Something wierd is happening.. A Distortion.. Whats this..? The Colosseum! ARRGHHHH"

thats true lol
just lolage at how it repeated itself over and over again :L

"Something wierd is happening.. A Distortion.. Whats this..? The Colosseum! ARRGHHHH"
"Something STRANGE is happening. A distortion. What's this? The Colosseum ________!"

Just bothered me. Aha congrats on making it so far!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)