3v3 Singles Metagame Discussion Thread

Well I hope that changes.

Either-way the talk about the Eject button has me curious if anyone has thought of an Intimidate Ejector? I toyed with the idea a while ago but never tried it out.

In a really ridiculous way you could severely nerf a physical attacker with a -3 in just one turn setting up a 'freeish' second turn.

Turn 0- Lead Intimidator
Turn 1(a)- Switch to Eject Intimidator get forced out
Turn 1(b)- Switch back to Lead Intimidator

A -3 debuff is huge and you now have your lead Intimidator set up for a free turn of Set-Up, while your other mon got hit with a -2 debuffed move. Its a bit ridiculous and probably not optimal but it has the side effect of allowing you to scout your opponents team.

This really, though, only foils heavy offense.
The problem with that is the opponent can just switch out. Eject Button is usually used with something that can set up a move that lasts a few turns, like Trick Room, Screens, Weather, etc.

For the first time ever, after enjoying five generations of Pokemon, I give up. I tried to enjoy odd combos, building different teams and using lesser known pokemon to have some fun, and It's simply not fun anymore. Wifi is just Kangaskhan, The Fighting now. If i don't run my Khan counters, I just get swept by Mega Mom, and at the higher ratings, she's omnipresent. She's nigh omnipresent in Free mode now too.

For what it is worth, Anti-meta Espeon still is my MVP. I throw her at incoming status and Khan counters and it results almost always in a rage quit or a time stall game as they try to play around her and Mega Mom, but it's stale now. Every match devolves into stopping Khan or keeping my Khan alive.

GF needs to address this. This is by far the most game-breaking pokemon ever. You could have fun messing with Gen 4 and Gen 5 terrors with underused and silly combos to throw off Garchomp and the like, but Mega mom just crushes all with raw power and the ability to ignore Sashs and sturdy.

Ahh. I couldn't see much use for the eject button for weather/screens since the items help out far better than the EB. For other special effects I guess it'd work. The item just seems odd and gimmicky . . . don't know what GF was thinking. (Almost as bad as the Target)

I'm about to just call it quits right now because of M-Kahn and the fact that it seems all Pokebank mons will be used on Battle Spot. Like what is the point of making a team in XY when you could just Pokegen it? Better yet why not just stick to the Simulators. Less fuss.

And here I was hoping that only Kalos-bred mons would be able to be used in the BS.

Yay for more Mega Mom.

Whatever, I'll just used my perfect Virizion to fuck them up.

ya, megamom will be countered by alot of new comon treats like terrakion and infernape both faster than megamom, but now legendarys will run rampant, i got a chimchar today never had the chance to try alot of pokebank pokemon so its a fresh start for me and the meta.

ya, megamom will be countered by alot of new comon treats like terrakion and infernape both faster than megamom, but now legendarys will run rampant, i got a chimchar today never had the chance to try alot of pokebank pokemon so its a fresh start for me and the meta.
If anything, Mega Mom got even more dangerous. She now has access to Fire Punch, and since it's been confirmed that the hack checker on Pokebank isn't as great as we had thought, we might see Seismic Toss/Wish variants.

My mega-kangaskhan was countered by Cobalion. I crunch his Aegislash, he switches into Cobalion, Justified +2 gg.

If anything, Mega Mom got even more dangerous. She now has access to Fire Punch, and since it's been confirmed that the hack checker on Pokebank isn't as great as we had thought, we might see Seismic Toss/Wish variants.
maybe megamom becomes individualy "stronger" but alot common counters means less usage, also fire punch, seismic toss or wish doesn't make her un-one-shoted by terrakion or infernape (or many other comon things now), i think megamom will not be as cookie cutter as she was now, but i think this comes with a price, we will learn to hate another pokemon, and with some new legendary pokemons runing rampant people without black or white may be at a disadvantage, even more so for people who doesnt know how to or doesnt like to use hacked "legal" pokemon, that is if nintendo didn't did a good job in the counter hack departament.

Last edited:
I might just enjoy the VGC Special season then for now. No need to worry about legendaries. Kind of a shame that GF didn't come up with a way to make 31/iv legends easier to obtain this generation.

Mega blaziken ( or life orb blaziken I suppose) goes through mega kangaskahn ridiculously easily, at least at medium ratings.

You can 1 hit kanga with high jump kick without boosts and it's only chance to deal damage is sucker punch which only hits for about 30% of blaziken's hp. 60% if it got pup off beforehand.

The only issue I have had is people switching to ghosts or otherwise missing my hjk

Nintendos anti-hack is a complete and total failure. I've seen, in th last 3 hours, perfect stat lgendaries in virtually every single fight, as well as a couple illegal combos including siesmic toss/wish Mega Khan and Rock Head Tyrantum with a choice scarf.

I'm offically quitting BS Wifi. It's broke.

Nintendos anti-hack is a complete and total failure. I've seen, in th last 3 hours, perfect stat lgendaries in virtually every single fight, as well as a couple illegal combos including siesmic toss/wish Mega Khan and Rock Head Tyrantum with a choice scarf.

I'm offically quitting BS Wifi. It's broke.
Perfect stat legendaries are not hard to get.

Seismic Toss/Wish Mega Mom is legal, if super hard to get without hacks.

Rock Head Tyrantrum? Wtf? How are people hacking the 3DS?

There are homebrew comunities and methods to hack the 3DS (there are pleanty of screenshots of hacked in Mega-Latias and Mega-Latios and the un-revealed legendaries) but I'm not sure how pokebank suddenly allowed them to break the system and get the hacks through. I just know i've seen at least two Tyrantrum's taking no rock head recoil.

Honestly it's the flood of Terrikions, Cressilas, and the like that are driving me up the wall. Mega Mom is even more dangerous now with fire punch and horrific defensive ST/Wish sets. I've seen a sub-disable Mega Gengar and that is even worse. I suppose I might be overreacting but it's not very fun for me right now.

I imagine though, in the next coming weeks Nintendo will find the holes in their hack-shield and patch them up.

Last edited:
There are homebrew comunities and methods to hack the 3DS (there are pleanty of screenshots of hacked in Mega-Latias and Mega-Latios and the un-revealed legendaries) but I'm not sure how pokebank suddenly allowed them to break the system and get the hacks through. I just know i've seen at least two Tyrantrum's taking no rock head recoil.

Honestly it's the flood of Terrikions, Cressilas, and the like that are driving me up the wall. Mega Mom is even more dangerous now with fire punch and horrific defensive ST/Wish sets. I've seen a sub-disable Mega Gengar and that is even worse. I suppose I might be overreacting but it's not very fun for me right now.

I imagine though, in the next coming weeks Nintendo will find the holes in their hack-shield and patch them up.
Are you playing Rated or Free Battles?

Are you playing Rated or Free Battles?
Rated. I haven't even looked at free since pokebank opened up. I wonder whats lurking in there now.

Incidently, I was around 1800 before it went down, and now im at like 1450 post reset. I don't have access to things like Heatran and the Swords of Justice (My nephew broke my W2 cart and I'm not willing to buy another one just to have any chance). The Genies aren't so bad, but I have seen a Terrikion in at least half the games I'm in and in 3v3, it just craps all over most of the X/Y roster. Tyrantrum with Rock Head and a Choice Scarf is ridiculious, but that's clearly some sort of exploit getting those onto legal carts.

I did get to laugh at a couple omg shiney perfect sheer cold spamming Suicunes though. the fact that I've seen multiple 2011 event only Suicunes spamming sheer cold is pretty solid evidence Nintendo's hack shield isn't doing it's job.

Well I'm gonna be one of those guys abusing Terrakion too lol. >_>

Anyway wanted to ask because some dude said that you can't use non-Pentagon mons in Rated battles, which is clearly a lie.

I'm probably just gonna troll around Ratings for giggles, and not take it too seriously until GF either says something or puts out a patch.

Maybe I'll put out a team of Terrakion/Serperior/Skarmory/Jellicent/Latias/Megazard Y.

If you do the current event competition, the VGC doubles 2014 thing, he's right. That's limited ot Kalos Dex pokemon only. But Rated Random Battles right now is basically the same as gen 5, except with x/Y god and Zygarde banlisted. All Megas except Mewtwo (obviously) legal. All movesets from previous gens legal.

I've only seen one, but the new Brokenmon is Subdisable Mega Gengar. I can't think of any way to avoid losing two pokemon too it. Anything it can't trap is OHKO'd with Shadow ball. Everything else dies to Subdisable Perish Song. It might be running Destiny Bond as well instead of Shadow Ball. Or it might not be sub disable!

Right now im preparing for all this with pokedit, i really dont like hacks (never used them) but i dont want to quit playing a game that i enjoy just because im at disadvantage from other players :/.
Nintendo most likely can't patch/fix the perfect iv legendarys because good edited pokemon are equal in every way to original game created pokemon so as much as i hate it that is that.
now its more like some kind of a "complicated" pokemon showdown where you have to learn how to edit your pokemons in order to stay competitive, it really sucks but ill give it a try, i wish that nintendo would only permit "pentagon" pokemon in ranked :/.

Right now im preparing for all this with pokedit, i really dont like hacks (never used them) but i dont want to quit playing a game that i enjoy just because im at disadvantage from other players :/.
Nintendo most likely can't patch/fix the perfect iv legendarys because good edited pokemon are equal in every way to original game created pokemon so as much as i hate it that is that.
now its more like some kind of a "complicated" pokemon showdown where you have to learn how to edit your pokemons in order to stay competitive, it really sucks but ill give it a try, i wish that nintendo would only permit "pentagon" pokemon in ranked :/.
If more and more blatantly hacked stuff keeps popping up (which it will) GF or Nintendo better do something or they will lose massive face among the fanbase.

This is not good PR.

Double post, but an announcement.

If anyone fights people with blatant hacks like Rock Head Tyrantrum, please save replays.

If there are any replays of stuff like this, please share them.

I don't think there is too much to worry about overall. In the end we've got the VGC ruleset to play with right now and that alone proves that GF has the power to make WiFi rules that break the need to cheat if they want. I have high hopes for the longevity of the franchise which is just now beginning to break into the casual sphere.

After a good sleep too cool my head and think about the influx of shenangins and old legends, I am having fun again. And to my joy, the use of a personal favorite is helping a great deal. I've swapped Mega Mom for Mega Aggron, and It's actually doing wonderfully. Obviously I can't bring him in on heavy special teams, but Espeon and Goodra/Reinucleus tend to handle those teams well.

I run the Panzer as a physical Tank

Panzeron (Aggron@Aggronite)
Adamant Rock Head
252 HP/ 252 Atk /6 Spd
Head Smash
Iron Head
Earthquake
Metal Burst

In 6v6 Mega Aggron peters out without reliable recovery, but in 3v3 Singles, especially If i bring him in behind dual screen Klefki, he can force out almost any physical pokemon. The ones he doesnt force out, get a suprise Metal Burst. He's an aamzing answr to Terrikon, as most I see right now run EdgeQuake + SR, and even close combat can't break through Aggron's insane defenses. Head Smahs is an odd choice for a Mega Aggron, but it works well in 3v3 as a final blow, or in the situations where i can use it before mega evolving for a HUGE hit if I suspect Aggron won't take a hit in normal form.

Of course, he needs support to asorb the obvious switches. He has to bail if will-o-wisp is in play, and Rotom-W scares the crap out of him.

EDIT: I may swap Iron Head for Heavy Slam if I see enough light-weight opposition to him. So far in my experince, Iron Head works best for now.

Last edited:
I sincerely doubt Rock Head Tyrantrum exists on battlespot, and no one has tried to cash in on hacking 3ds pokemon yet.

Mega blaziken ( or life orb blaziken I suppose) goes through mega kangaskahn ridiculously easily, at least at medium ratings.

You can 1 hit kanga with high jump kick without boosts and it's only chance to deal damage is sucker punch which only hits for about 30% of blaziken's hp. 60% if it got pup off beforehand.

The only issue I have had is people switching to ghosts or otherwise missing my hjk
Agreed.
But Blaziken (mega or not) isn't very common as you climb up the ladder because of Talonflame.
It'd be a different story in 6v6 but in 3v3, blaziken isn't all that great.

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I haven't played much lately because I've been waiting for Pokebank, but now that it's (sort of) here, I figured I'd get back into the swing of things. I threw together a really rough team and laddered on PS for a while tonight. I bred a perfect Bold Unaware Clefable to use a super annoying Minimize / Calm Mind / Moonlight / Moonblast set a while ago, but I wasn't sure what else I wanted to use with it and wanted to try things out. Laddered with the aforementioned Clefable, CB Talonflame, Occa mixed Aegislash for Talonflame and Charizard, Life Orb Will-O-Wisp Gengar for Mega Kangaskhan, Rocky Helmet Rotom-W, and SD Lum Bisharp. Hit #2 on the PS ladder, so I feel comfortable breeding the stuff I can get before Pokebank now and then use it in my game.

Mainly posting to hype the SHIT out of that Clefable set and the Gengar set. Both of them put in an assload of work for me. Clefable just straight up counters most sweepers, including Blaziken (not that I don't have it covered with Talonflame), Dragonite, Cloyster, Azumarill, and more, and sets up alongside them just for them to find out later that they can't do shit to me, even at +6. Gengar is perfect for handling Mega Kangaskhan because so few run Crunch, and even the ones that do will still get burned. It also just hits stupidly hard with Life Orb Shadow Ball, Sludge Bomb, and Focus Blast, and hits everything at least neutrally.

Anyways, yeah, those are really cool mons that I recommend trying when you can. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)