5th Gen PRNG Help / Info - Latest: RNG Reporter 9.96.5, PPRNG 1.15.0

So, what happens if you think you hit your seed, but get a different encounter (encounter slot 7 instead 0...)? Like, I got myself a random physical flawless Woobat lol.

Stupid Timer0...
Maybe the number of pidrng advancements is wrong (chatot chatters, wandering npcs). Try again and be sure to immediately hit the menu screen. I'm not sure if finding the SSF is a much better option than the SF alone.

shiny finder

forever searching
is a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Chatot Wrangler
So, what happens if you think you hit your seed, but get a different encounter (encounter slot 7 instead 0...)? Like, I got myself a random physical flawless Woobat lol.

Stupid Timer0...
If you got the right IV's then it wasn't the Timer0, as that would cause you to hit the wrong seed. As Mackenzie mentioned, the pidrng advancements were off, probably due to NPCs. Just adjust your number of advances by how many frames you were off from your target.

I'm not sure if finding the SSF is a much better option than the SF alone.
If there are no NPC's (or roamers) then the SSF and SF would be the same frame. If there are NPC's, then the SSF would be the one you are working with as they would probably advance the frame past the SF before you can even control your character.

Is it possible to RNG a Thundurus from the Champion's Room? If not, why not?
I haven't tried it yet but I've read that it's not really practical. If I may suggest why not save inside the house with the old lady who gives you free veggie soup, (make sure no season change occurs when you exit i.e. save inside a house on the day of your target spread, and then 2nd save inside the house of the lady; or you'll get some unnecessary advancements along your way). I've seen most people get a shiny RNG'd roamer using this method.

shiny finder

forever searching
is a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Chatot Wrangler
To elaborate, it's possible, but you basically have to forgo a shiny since the PIDRNG is advanced during the fight iirc. Going for IV's is fine, but the nature would come down to luck.

edit: It appears that I had it backwards. PIDRNG is easy, Iv's are hard (I really should have re-read the OP first XD)

Last edited:
Just save inside the house, pick a seed during a time where there's no wheather, hit your seed and sr for the desired nature. If you really want to go for a shiny one then find a good non shiny frame you can hit easily first and abuse your tid sid for it. Either way the roamers are slightly annoying to rng abuse but no more difficult than most forms of rng abuse, just more time consuming. Tip: to make things faster, run in and out of the green terminals until you see rain and then go in the grass. Don't bother running up and down unova for this poke.

Last edited:
I should probably explain what I'm doing exactly. =P

So, after trying forever, I got myself a TID/SID combination that should trigger a shiny roamer eventually, right?

I used that combi to find myself a shiny starter. Got a 5iv flawless shiny Jolly Tepig, so that basically proved that the combination was correct!

Now, I'm in Wellspring Cave after beating Team Plasma. I send over a Chatot, Smeargle (Catcher), Munna (Jolly, Synchronize) and a Maractus (Sweet Scent) from Black 2.

Edit: Nevermind. I think I found the problem. While checking RNGReporter, I noticed that the wrong TID/SID combination was entered in my profile (it didn't update it...).

Great. Now, I gotta re-figure out my SID. =( (and find all the spreads again)

shiny finder

forever searching
Chatot Wrangler
I should probably explain what I'm doing exactly. =P

So, after trying forever, I got myself a TID/SID combination that should trigger a shiny roamer eventually, right?

I used that combi to find myself a shiny starter. Got a 5iv flawless shiny Jolly Tepig, so that basically proved that the combination was correct!

Now, I'm in Wellspring Cave after beating Team Plasma. I send over a Chatot, Smeargle (Catcher), Munna (Jolly, Synchronize) and a Maractus (Sweet Scent) from Black 2.

Edit: Nevermind. I think I found the problem. While checking RNGReporter, I noticed that the wrong TID/SID combination was entered in my profile (it didn't update it...).

Great. Now, I gotta re-figure out my SID. =( (and find all the spreads again)
If you know the date you started your game (I think it says it on the back of your Trainer Card), you can refind the seed in Pandora's box. Just limit your search by the TID you already have and the date you started your game (or you can import a Pokemon into Gen VI and have someone refind your SID that way). Putting in the wrong ID's wouldn't cause you to get the wrong encounter slot (if that's the "problem" you are still referring to).

Just save inside the house, pick a seed during a time where there's no wheather, hit your seed and sr for the desired nature. If you really want to go for a shiny one then find a good non shiny frame you can hit easily first and abuse your tid sid for it. Either way the roamers are slightly annoying to rng abuse but no more difficult than most forms of rng abuse, just more time consuming. Tip: to make things faster, run in and out of the green terminals until you see rain and then go in the grass. Don't bother running up and down unova for this poke.
Does killing Thundurus and then beating the Elite Four require you to go back to the house to RNG? Also shiny finder , once you're in the battle, the nature isn't set ?_? The PIDRNG frames are constantly advancing? Also, I know my TID and SID, I'm not new to Gen 5 RNG, I just need to figure out how to RNG this darn Thundurus, and I appreciate yall's help.

Yes! I searched for possible SIDs and found one that I seemed to recognize. I tried it out and found a shiny Roggenrola (testing purpose). Now to let RNG Reporter do some work and find me some good spreads, since I can pretty much toss the ones I found earlier...

shiny finder

forever searching
Chatot Wrangler
Does killing Thundurus and then beating the Elite Four require you to go back to the house to RNG? Also shiny finder , once you're in the battle, the nature isn't set ?_? The PIDRNG frames are constantly advancing? Also, I know my TID and SID, I'm not new to Gen 5 RNG, I just need to figure out how to RNG this darn Thundurus, and I appreciate yall's help.
No, it respawns to it's roaming state after you beat the Champion, so you don't need to go back to the house. It's regenerated at the Hall of Fame machine. Sorry, after some more research (i.e. re-reading the OP >.>) the PIDRNG is advanced by 6 frames by battling with the Champion, but the IV's are constantly changing. So the nature/shininess is relatively easy, but the IV's are what are the challenge. I switched the two rng's.

Mackenzie's method is the best way to go about it. Just make sure you have everything in place before you enter the house since once you're in it, you can't leave without causing Thundurus to roam. The rain/weather is a real pain, but if you're consistent, you should eventually get it. You need a lot of patience though.

edit: So it's basically a trade off: If you care about IV's, then doing it from the house is really your only option. If you only want it shiny (and don't mind it most likely having horrible IV's), then rnging it post-E4 is probably the easiest route since you don't have to worry about the weather.

No, it respawns to it's roaming state after you beat the Champion, so you don't need to go back to the house. It's regenerated at the Hall of Fame machine. Sorry, after some more research (i.e. re-reading the OP >.>) the PIDRNG is advanced by 6 frames by battling with the Champion, but the IV's are constantly changing. So the nature/shininess is relatively easy, but the IV's are what are the challenge. I switched the two rng's.

Mackenzie's method is the best way to go about it. Just make sure you have everything in place before you enter the house since once you're in it, you can't leave without causing Thundurus to roam. The rain/weather is a real pain, but if you're consistent, you should eventually get it. You need a lot of patience though.

edit: So it's basically a trade off: If you care about IV's, then doing it from the house is really your only option. If you only want it shiny (and don't mind it most likely having horrible IV's), then rnging it post-E4 is probably the easiest route since you don't have to worry about the weather.
That last bit isn't entirely true. It's not that hard to rng a shiny flawless roamer from the house, as I mentioned in my previous post. Of course the method that I used does require restarting your game and playing through it for another 8hrs, but it can be done. Hell, that's what I did in black and I don't regret it. Having a shiny flawless tornados/ thunderus is quite rare since they're so time consuming to get. For instance before pokecheck was unavailble there were only like seven shiny flawless tornados on there with the same nature as mine and who knows how many of them were actually legit. So it really comes down to whether or not you have the patience/time to go for the shiny one and considering that it doesn't take much time to beat the story in black white 1 then it's really a question of patience. That said though not everyone cares about shininess...

Last edited:
It is in fact easier if you can check the roamers pid provided that it has the spread you want and nature e.g. pokecheck or pokegen. I just used trial and error for the nature and as ausgirl put it you need patience if you aim for a shiny one. In addition to what shiny and ausgirl's post, you're better of searching for a spread in the summer month, see the pprng guide for details.

shiny finder

forever searching
Chatot Wrangler
That last bit isn't entirely true. It's not that hard to rng a shiny flawless roamer from the house, as I mentioned in my previous post. Of course the method that I used does require restarting your game and playing through it for another 8hrs, but it can be done. Hell, that's what I did in black and I don't regret it. Having a shiny flawless tornados/ thunderus is quite rare since they're so time consuming to get. For instance before pokecheck was unavailble there were only like seven shiny flawless tornados on there with the same nature as mine and who knows how many of them were actually legit. So it really comes down to whether or not you have the patience/time to go for the shiny one and considering that it doesn't take much time to beat the story in black white 1 then it's really a question of patience. That said though not everyone cares about shininess...
haha sorry, tbh I somehow missed your post above. Your method is good as well. :) I too rng'd it from the house, so I can attest to the fact it does take a ton of patience, as we have all said.

My point was that rnging for nature and shininess is easier at the E4 since the PIDRNG advancements are a fixed amount, as opposed to at the house where it's advanced by the weather/rain summoned by the roamer by a "random" amount. As for IV's, the house is really your only option as it would be nearly impossible to get the IV's you want at the E4. But yes, patience certainly does play a role as well :)

Last edited:
So, I've succesfully RNG'd myself a shiny flawless Roggenrola lol so I know everything works now.

I figured I wanted a shiny Purrloin so I'm RNGing on Route 3, which obviously has wandering NPCs. I was able to catch a flawless Jolly Blitzle (lol), which is a different encounter slot. How do you know by what frames you're of other than listening really well to the Chatot pitches? I was thinking of not using the Synchronizer and finding that Blitzle again to see where the nature is in the list. That should work right?

shiny finder

forever searching
Chatot Wrangler
So, I've succesfully RNG'd myself a shiny flawless Roggenrola lol so I know everything works now.

I figured I wanted a shiny Purrloin so I'm RNGing on Route 3, which obviously has wandering NPCs. I was able to catch a flawless Jolly Blitzle (lol), which is a different encounter slot. How do you know by what frames you're of other than listening really well to the Chatot pitches? I was thinking of not using the Synchronizer and finding that Blitzle again to see where the nature is in the list. That should work right?
Congrats on the shiny!

Yes, that should work. Comparing the gender, nature, and slot of what you caught to what's listed in the reporter works as well. The NPC's shouldn't have advanced the frame by too much so what you got should be close to your target.

I was wondering if it's possible to RNG shiny Dream Radar pokemon? I successfully RNG'd from that application for the first time last night, but I didn't see any shiny seeds, or how to get them in the guide.

Albus

The Triumphant
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
I was wondering if it's possible to RNG shiny Dream Radar pokemon? I successfully RNG'd from that application for the first time last night, but I didn't see any shiny seeds, or how to get them in the guide.
Dream Radar Pokémon are Shiny locked.

Edit: Ninja'd.

Okay. Finally got another shiny Pokémon after taking forever on route 3. I kept hitting the wrong Timer0 or getting wandering NPC's, but after a while, I figured out the exact frame I should be advancing and when I got my second Chatot, things went by a lot faster.

Right now, I'm RNGing another Pokémon (I'm basically building a team from the getgo in White so that I can use it for breeding later) and I've had some problems.
You see, I hit the seed often enough (occasionally, I get the wrong Timer0, but eh), but it seems as if my Chatots stopped working lol.
I'm RNGing in the interior of Pinwheel Forest and I advance like 80+ frames. Initial frame is 46, target frame is 153 and the starting frame I actually hit most of them time ranges in the 60-64.

Just now, I figured I'd advance 80 frames and see what I hit. I should've been really close to my desired frame, but instead, I either get frame 61 (my encounter slot is 9, not something you come across often) or like frame 269. I literally have nothing in between those. I'm guessing I hit frame 61, but that makes no sense with me advancing with two Chatots at high speed. I could do the saving method, but saving 91ish times is no fun, especially with wandering NPCs...

.com

Grumpy old man
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Okay. Finally got another shiny Pokémon after taking forever on route 3. I kept hitting the wrong Timer0 or getting wandering NPC's, but after a while, I figured out the exact frame I should be advancing and when I got my second Chatot, things went by a lot faster.

Right now, I'm RNGing another Pokémon (I'm basically building a team from the getgo in White so that I can use it for breeding later) and I've had some problems.
You see, I hit the seed often enough (occasionally, I get the wrong Timer0, but eh), but it seems as if my Chatots stopped working lol.
I'm RNGing in the interior of Pinwheel Forest and I advance like 80+ frames. Initial frame is 46, target frame is 153 and the starting frame I actually hit most of them time ranges in the 60-64.

Just now, I figured I'd advance 80 frames and see what I hit. I should've been really close to my desired frame, but instead, I either get frame 61 (my encounter slot is 9, not something you come across often) or like frame 269. I literally have nothing in between those. I'm guessing I hit frame 61, but that makes no sense with me advancing with two Chatots at high speed. I could do the saving method, but saving 91ish times is no fun, especially with wandering NPCs...
Do the chatots definitely still have the custom cries? I found mine were erased at some point (possibly during a trade, or when saving on a different console, and then returning to my RNGing one).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 9)