5th Gen PRNG Help / Info - Latest: RNG Reporter 9.96.5, PPRNG 1.15.0

So for some reason I had downloaded version 9.95 Beta, but I would like to update to 9.96.5. I clicked the download link on the original post but came up with a file name dotnetfx45_full_setup.exe

Is this the correct file I should be using to update my RNG Reporter or am I correct to be suspicious?
Looks like you accidentally clicked on the download link for .NET Framework 4.5.

.com and ash1236 provided links (#21490) a while back to 9.96.6 Beta. Their posts are actually found in the WiFi SQSR thread, but I don't know which page...

Hi, I'm trying to RNG for a shiny Starter in Black 2. I don't really care for it's IVs, so the frame advancements are relatively low. Although, I noticed there are WNPCs in the town you get the starter. I'm assuming they are advancing the frame. Does anyone know an approximate number for the amount of frame advancements, or should I just give up on my shiny?

Agonist

how can I feel existential dread, it's my fear
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Hi, I'm trying to RNG for a shiny Starter in Black 2. I don't really care for it's IVs, so the frame advancements are relatively low. Although, I noticed there are WNPCs in the town you get the starter. I'm assuming they are advancing the frame. Does anyone know an approximate number for the amount of frame advancements, or should I just give up on my shiny?
I don't know exactly how many frames, but it shouldn't be too hard to figure out by matching your nature and characteristic to the ones in RNGR/PPRNG.

Princess Emily

Fear the nice-smelling Princess!
Hmm I guess the minimum advancements is 2 frames, or it could depend how long before you press the A button to talk to Bianca.

shiny finder

forever searching
is a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Chatot Wrangler
For swarm pokemon in B/W, what encounter slots do they take? Is it Slot 0? I don't remember.
You probably figured it out by now, but swarm Pokemon can occupy any slot this gen. As you've seen though, the reporter identifies them as special "encounter slots."

So there are no more official smogon-related links to the latest (!) version of RNG Reporter?
I have not been RNGing for like 2.5 years now (prepare for silly questions in this thread in the near future) and I'd like to give it another shot with the upcoming release of ORAS. However, I can't find a link to the lastest version of RNG reporter since eggmove.com is appearently down. If someone has the installer for the 9.96.6 BETA, can you upload it to dropbox or any other site?
I think having a permanent, reliable link that always has the latest version would be convenient for new users trying out RNG or old guys like me getting back into it after a long break.

Something I just thought about: Didn't RNG Reporter have an update-functionality? If so, can I download any version and update to the latest one from within the program?

Buckert

Obsessive Collecting Disorder
I can give you 9.96.5 if you want?

Edit: Now sure about this site though, but here's a link: Click
Edit2: Works perfect! Enjoy. :)

shiny finder

forever searching
is a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Chatot Wrangler
So there are no more official smogon-related links to the latest (!) version of RNG Reporter?
I have not been RNGing for like 2.5 years now (prepare for silly questions in this thread in the near future) and I'd like to give it another shot with the upcoming release of ORAS. However, I can't find a link to the lastest version of RNG reporter since eggmove.com is appearently down. If someone has the installer for the 9.96.6 BETA, can you upload it to dropbox or any other site?
I think having a permanent, reliable link that always has the latest version would be convenient for new users trying out RNG or old guys like me getting back into it after a long break.

Something I just thought about: Didn't RNG Reporter have an update-functionality? If so, can I download any version and update to the latest one from within the program?
Win 7 etc version--rng reporter
XP version--rng reporter
eon timer

eggmove.com is currently down, so I linked the 9.96.6 versions.

edit: and there's a link the the encounter slots in my sig (https://sites.google.com/site/pokemonslots/ in case you can't see it :)
These links should still work, in addition to Buckert's.

edit: oc, you probably already got these since .com quoted the same thing a couple posts above yours in sqsr XD

Ok, so I tried my hand at RNG, and haven't had any luck in getting a flawless Cobalion (non-shiny, nature doesn't matter yet). I followed a lot of guides (including the one included in this thread) and did all the steps but the spread I'm getting doesn't even correspond to the adjacent seeds. I'll include everything I did from the beginning just so someone can help me if I'm doing something wrong. I'm using an English White 2 on a DSi.

Warning: Detailed (and possibly wrong) process ahead!
1. Got 5 Pokémon in my party (left a slot to check the Cobalion quickly)
2. Saved at Cobalion's immediate left and turned off the DSi.
3. Opened RNG Reporter.
4. Hit DS Parameters Search.
5. Entered my DSi MAC Address in the corresponding field.
6. Entered my game as English White 2 and the DS type as DSi/DSi XL.
7. Turned on my DSi and synchronized the clock with my analog watch.
8. Started the game at 9:50:59 (Since the game takes a second to load, apparently).
9. Pressed no buttons until after the Nintendo logo disappeared. When it disappeared,
I pressed A constantly until I got to the Continue screen. I opted not to turn on the C-Gear.
10. As soon as the game started, I engaged Cobalion in a battle. Caught it with a Master Ball.
11. Brought up the DS Parameter Finder, and updated the date as October 11, 2014 at 9:51:00.
12. Pressed Calculate IVs from Stats, and entered all the info I have from Cobalion in there. I
then pressed Check IVs and then pressed Ok.
13. I pressed Search and got a single seed.
14. Pressed Send results to Profile. A Profile Editor popped up.
15. In the Profile Editor, I entered my In-game name as the Profile name, and left the other fields
in their default values (ID and SID are 0). Pressed Ok.
16. A window with the list of profiles popped up (only one profile, the one I just made). I closed this window.
17. I pressed the Time Finder button and selected 5th Generation Time Finder from the drop-down list.
The 5th Generation Time Finder window popped up, with the Capture tab selected.
18. I left the Method in its default value: IVs (Standard Seed). I also set the Encounter Type as Stationary
Pokémon.
19. I set all stat fields except SpA to ==31. Left the rest of the fields at their default value.
20. I clicked the Generate button and got a single seed. Wrote the date and time in a Notepad file.
21. I pressed the Power button on my DSi to go back to the system menu.
22. Re-synchronized the date and time on my DSi to match those given by the seed minus a minute so that
I could verify if the clock is perfectly synchronized.
23. Started the game at 9:35:16 (a second before, again) and tapped A until I got to the continue screen.
24. I kept the C-Gear turned off again and engaged Cobalion as soon as the game started. Caught it in a Master Ball again.
25. Checked the IVs and they do not match my selection.
26. Right-clicked the seed and selected Generate Adjacent Seeds. None of the adjacent seeds match the obtained spread.

Oh, and just in case you need extra info, I'm using the latest version of RNG Reporter (9.96.6 BETA) and I'm running it on Windows 8. If you can find a horrible flaw in this process I just undertook, please tell me. I've read it could be the Timer0 thing messing with my numbers, but I'm not sure. I've tried this same process several times, and I know my clock synchronizations are accurate. What do you guys think?

.com

Grumpy old man
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Process looks good. My first guess would be that your Timer0 is bouncing around.
I've never actually tried with a DSi, but I know on my DS Lite I get 5 different Timer0's (and on my 3DS, 12 different Timer0's, and 2 different VCounts... -_-).

I'd suggest setting the ± ranges for these values to a little higher than their defaults when searching for adjacents and to check again if the IVs you received line up with any of those.

Process looks good. My first guess would be that your Timer0 is bouncing around.
I've never actually tried with a DSi, but I know on my DS Lite I get 5 different Timer0's (and on my 3DS, 12 different Timer0's, and 2 different VCounts... -_-).

I'd suggest setting the ± ranges for these values to a little higher than their defaults when searching for adjacents and to check again if the IVs you received line up with any of those.
Thank you for the feedback! :D I'll do that!

shiny finder

forever searching
Chatot Wrangler
In addition to what .com just ninja'd me with:

In general, you want to put the time you actually push A to start the game in the Parameters Searcher. Iirc I remember reading that there's like a 1 sec delay between setting the time on the DS and it actually being set. That could be the 1 sec you are referring to, but since you are getting results, that might not be an issue.

DSi's have ~6 (?) second delay, so you actually need to start your game 6 seconds (maybe 7 based on that 1 second thing) before your seed to actually hit it. That's at least 1 of the problems. Scratch that, it looks like it's 1-2 seconds, so you may be fine.

I'm not sure how many times you calibrated, but since the Timer0 etc fluctuate so much in W2, I'd do it several times to make sure are are actually using your most common values. As .com mentioned, though, making the search range wider might help you narrow down on what's wrong.

In addition to what .com just ninja'd me with:

In general, you want to put the time you actually push A to start the game in the Parameters Searcher. Iirc I remember reading that there's like a 1 sec delay between setting the time on the DS and it actually being set. That could be the 1 sec you are referring to, but since you are getting results, that might not be an issue.

DSi's have ~6 (?) second delay, so you actually need to start your game 6 seconds (maybe 7 based on that 1 second thing) before your seed to actually hit it. That's at least 1 of the problems. Scratch that, it looks like it's 1-2 seconds, so you may be fine.

I'm not sure how many times you calibrated, but since the Timer0 etc fluctuate so much in W2, I'd do it several times to make sure are are actually using your most common values. As .com mentioned, though, making the search range wider might help you narrow down on what's wrong.
Yeah, the thing is I tried to get around the delay when setting the time on the DS by setting it a second earlier. I then checked with my watch and the time matches pretty well (I'm sure there's a small difference, but not a second difference). In addition to this, I start the game a second earlier. So should I continue with this approach, then? Or is the RNG Reporter designed to work with the delay?

shiny finder

forever searching
Chatot Wrangler
Yeah, the thing is I tried to get around the delay when setting the time on the DS by setting it a second earlier. I then checked with my watch and the time matches pretty well (I'm sure there's a small difference, but not a second difference). In addition to this, I start the game a second earlier. So should I continue with this approach, then? Or is the RNG Reporter designed to work with the delay?
The important thing it that you start your game at the right time (i.e. 1 second before the seed's time). If it matches well, there's not a reason to change your approach. Assuming the delay you get from the calibration process is actually 1 sec (it probably is, but I think it can also be 2 seconds), then your approach seems correct.

Also, make sure you're hard resetting your DS (actually turing off the power), since it seems to give you more stable results (your Timer0 will still probably fluctuate a lot). I'd do it after you set the time.

The important thing it that you start your game at the right time (i.e. 1 second before the seed's time). If it matches well, there's not a reason to change your approach. Assuming the delay you get from the calibration process is actually 1 sec (it probably is, but I think it can also be 2 seconds), then your approach seems correct.

Also, make sure you're hard resetting your DS (actually turing off the power), since it seems to give you more stable results (your Timer0 will still probably fluctuate a lot). I'd do it after you set the time.
Oh, I'll try hard resetting, then! Thanks for the help! :D

Hello there,
one of my acquaintances is trying to abuse the "Pokemon Hills" Mewtwo Event, which always has 31 IVs on SpA and Spd. He failed a lot and asked me what the reason could be. This man is pretty experienced, so I don't think he just made a mistake while RNGing. So my questions are: Do the fixed IVs mess up with the RNG? And, if they do, is it possible to RNG the Mewtwo despite that? Thanks!

shiny finder

forever searching
Chatot Wrangler
Hello there,
one of my acquaintances is trying to abuse the "Pokemon Hills" Mewtwo Event, which always has 31 IVs on SpA and Spd. He failed a lot and asked me what the reason could be. This man is pretty experienced, so I don't think he just made a mistake while RNGing. So my questions are: Do the fixed IVs mess up with the RNG? And, if they do, is it possible to RNG the Mewtwo despite that? Thanks!
The IV's shouldn't mess with the rng; he should be able to rng it like any other Wondercard. Is he able to determine what seed/frame he actually did hit? It could just be Timer0/NPC trolling.

I think he tried to verify the seed and according to the pitches nerver hit it. The point is, he says that he tried it for days now and usually hits the correct seed pretty well, so his suspicion was that there's a different method for events with fixed IVs. Isn't there anything that's different or should it really work like normal wondercard RNGing?

shiny finder

forever searching
Chatot Wrangler
I think he tried to verify the seed and according to the pitches nerver hit it. The point is, he says that he tried it for days now and usually hits the correct seed pretty well, so his suspicion was that there's a different method for events with fixed IVs. Is there anything that's different or should it really work like normal wondercard RNGing?
afaik everything should be the same (someone can correct me if I'm wrong). Maybe things are generated slightly differently (like with shiny Wondercards, but that's a different thing) but it should still be doable. Does anything match up when he gets the correct seed? Screenshots + results might help see what's going on, if possible.

.com

Grumpy old man
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I think he tried to verify the seed and according to the pitches nerver hit it. The point is, he says that he tried it for days now and usually hits the correct seed pretty well, so his suspicion was that there's a different method for events with fixed IVs. Isn't there anything that's different or should it really work like normal wondercard RNGing?
Agreeing with shiny finder that the seed is unaffected by the wonder card in question, so if he can't get the pitches to match up, then there's something more fundamental going wrong.

My personal guess: 3DS update 9.0.0 seriously lowered the boot-time of the game, so the old ~7–8 second early thing has been lowered. If you're using a console (2DS, 3DS, 3DS XL, etc.) which has been affected by this update it's worth recalibrating.

Edit: Just to confirm (unsurprisingly) my usual Timer0 has been affected by this too.

Last edited:

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader
Agreeing with shiny finder that the seed is unaffected by the wonder card in question, so if he can't get the pitches to match up, then there's something more fundamental going wrong.

My personal guess: 3DS update 9.0.0 seriously lowered the boot-time of the game, so the old ~7–8 second early thing has been lowered. If you're using a console (2DS, 3DS, 3DS XL, etc.) which has been affected by this update it's worth recalibrating.
DS games do boot faster now with the new update (which is ironic since the system lags like hell booting up now, least the original 3DS does), so that's probably the case.

Once you recalibrate it, it may worth posting the findings here so that the guides can be updated to account for the new boot time.

Ugh trying to remember rng egg pokes non c gear on BW and I'm failing at the 11th hour. The last egg somehow worked out 31/31/31/31/31 adamant bagon but i wanted shiny modest. I don't know if i fluked it but only the ditto is 31's.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 17)