5th Gen PRNG Help / Info - Latest: RNG Reporter 9.96.5, PPRNG 1.15.0

Two things jump to my mind which could cause the problem.

1) What synchronizer do you use? (What nature. I doubt this will be the problem. Just to make sure.) Your trainer ID is 07898, right?
2) The spot where you Sweet Scent are there any wild double battles? I RNGed also some wild Pokemon in my White and it seems really high grass where you encounter 2 Pokemon at the same time lead to other PIDs.
1) I am using an adamant Munna synchronizer who is in my lead slot. My TID is 07898, RNG reporter likes to leave out zeros if they lead a number.
2) I'm in the chargestone cave which I don't think has wild double battles.

I'm not sure what's going on because I'm encountering the correct ivs but I can't explain the pokemon I'm encounter.

1) I am using an adamant Munna synchronizer who is in my lead slot. My TID is 07898, RNG reporter likes to leave out zeros if they lead a number.
2) I'm in the chargestone cave which I don't think has wild double battles.

I'm not sure what's going on because I'm encountering the correct ivs but I can't explain the pokemon I'm encounter.
Hmm okay. Did you try hitting your seed and getting a Pokemon at lower frames? And are these exactly how RNGReporter listed them?

I also had a similiar problem like you where the frames around + the actual frame of my shiny frames always lead to the same PID which was not the shiny one. However, this only occured for frame over 1000 for me.
Perhaps someone else has some additional ideas which can cause the problem.

Hmm okay. Did you try hitting your seed and getting a Pokemon at lower frames? And are these exactly how RNGReporter listed them?

I also had a similiar problem like you where the frames around + the actual frame of my shiny frames always lead to the same PID which was not the shiny one. However, this only occured for frame over 1000 for me.
Perhaps someone else has some additional ideas which can cause the problem.
As of now I feel for some reason the spread on RNG reporter for encounter slot, nature, ability, and gender is incorrect even though the chatot pitches match and I'm getting the right ivs. I'll probably try catching some at lower frames and seeing if the frame advancement is constant, but I don't think this is the problem.

Update: I just doubled checked if I was getting crazy frame advances but now I don't think I am. I hit the seed and advanced to frame 80 and caught an impish level 26 Klink with plus. I then hit the seed again and advanced the frame to 81 and caught a relaxed, male, level 26 Joltik with unnerve. There are no two frames relatively adjacent to each other that can give these two pokemon.

Last edited:
Update: I just doubled checked if I was getting crazy frame advances but now I don't think I am. I hit the seed and advanced to frame 80 and caught an impish level 26 Klink with plus. I then hit the seed again and advanced the frame to 81 and caught a relaxed, male, level 26 Joltik with unnerve. There are no two frames relatively adjacent to each other that can give these two pokemon.
Those match frames 83/84 with the Shiny Charm, if you have that everything is still working as it should, and since your target is a shiny you just need to reduce the number of chatot calls so the randumb advances during sweet scent send you to your target frame.

modularform

formerly Salamance
I am trying to do RNG abuse on White for the first time with PPRNG on a Mac, but there are some things I am unsure how to proceed, because it was not addressed in the guide or contradicted in this thread.

I. Should I turn on the C-gear? (I'm doing non-C-gear-seeds with encounter slots, so I'm pretty sure I shouldn't, but could someone confirm?)
II. How long should I hold the keypresses to? The onsite guide says to hold until the Gamefreak Star Crash (which is unclear- should I hold until the animation begins, until the star crashes, or until the animation is over?), while this thread says to hold until the Nintendo logo appears on the blank white screen.
III. How should I account for Sweet Scent advancing the RNG? (my Sweet Scenter is Amoongus if the 'mon's species is relevant.)
IV. This thread says to listen to Chatot a number of times equal to [Target Frame] - [Initial Frame] - [Starting Frame (what's this? is it same as initial frame?) + 1, but the onsite guide says to only listen to Chatot a number of times equal to [Target Frame] - [Initial Frame]. If starting frame is always 1, which makes sense, this question is irrelevant, since the plus 1 and - starting frame would cancel out.

If it's helpful, here's a screenshot of the Seed Inspector. The one I want is highlighted.

Screen Shot 2016-08-03 at 10.37.49 AM.png

Last edited:

.com

Grumpy old man
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I am trying to do RNG abuse on White for the first time with PPRNG on a Mac, but there are some things I am unsure how to proceed, because it was not addressed in the guide or contradicted in this thread.

I. Should I turn on the C-gear? (I'm doing non-C-gear-seeds with encounter slots, so I'm pretty sure I shouldn't, but could someone confirm?)
II. How long should I hold the keypresses to? The onsite guide says to hold until the Gamefreak Star Crash (which is unclear- should I hold until the animation begins, until the star crashes, or until the animation is over?), while this thread says to hold until the Nintendo logo appears on the blank white screen.
III. How should I account for Sweet Scent advancing the RNG? (my Sweet Scenter is Amoongus if the 'mon's species is relevant.)
IV. This thread says to listen to Chatot a number of times equal to [Target Frame] - [Initial Frame] - [Starting Frame (what's this? is it same as initial frame?) + 1, but the onsite guide says to only listen to Chatot a number of times equal to [Target Frame] - [Initial Frame]. If starting frame is always 1, which makes sense, this question is irrelevant, since the plus 1 and - starting frame would cancel out.

If it's helpful, here's a screenshot of the Seed Inspector. The one I want is highlighted.

I. No you shouldn't.
II. Either or. The actual moment you have to hold it down for is well before either of these points (they're just there to be safe).
III. Shouldn't advance it itself (obviously, the RNG will advance while generating the Pokémon; but the fact that you Sweet Scented won't) IIRC.
IV. The initial frame isn't always 1. But this is down to interpretation anyways (whether being on a frame means I will encounter the Pokémon from that frame or the RNG state is at this point) so there's often a discrepancy of 1. Just do a test run and see whether you felt you needed to do 1 more, 1 less, or the number you counted, then use that as your answer.

Those match frames 83/84 with the Shiny Charm, if you have that everything is still working as it should, and since your target is a shiny you just need to reduce the number of chatot calls so the randumb advances during sweet scent send you to your target frame.
I see. I do have the shiny charm, and by accident I discovered the shiny frame was around 116 which is reduced. How do I enable results to incorporate the shiny charm. I see it as an option but I am unable to check it. Thanks!
Also randumb lol.

I see. I do have the shiny charm, and by accident I discovered the shiny frame was around 116 which is reduced. How do I enable results to incorporate the shiny charm. I see it as an option but I am unable to check it. Thanks!
Also randumb lol.
I don't think any version of RNG reporter supports Shiny Charm, you'll need to adjust for it yourself. Encounter slot+Sync yes/no come from the frame you're on, if that frame isn't shiny it'll advance to the PID (and nature if sync fails/isn't used) of the next frame, and if that PID isn't shiny it'll do it again.

Also, the shiny frame didn't change, the 2 frames before it would also be shiny but (likely) give you different Pokemon and/or syncability, the reason you only needed to advance to 116 is because something else in the area was advancing it while sweet scent was sweet scenting, if you use the same seed to catch something in an area with no random advances you'll still need to advance to the frame RNG reporter tells you.

I don't think any version of RNG reporter supports Shiny Charm, you'll need to adjust for it yourself. Encounter slot+Sync yes/no come from the frame you're on, if that frame isn't shiny it'll advance to the PID (and nature if sync fails/isn't used) of the next frame, and if that PID isn't shiny it'll do it again.

Also, the shiny frame didn't change, the 2 frames before it would also be shiny but (likely) give you different Pokemon and/or syncability, the reason you only needed to advance to 116 is because something else in the area was advancing it while sweet scent was sweet scenting, if you use the same seed to catch something in an area with no random advances you'll still need to advance to the frame RNG reporter tells you.
You are right my shiny charm is explaining the differences I see. Just to clarify, the frame I hit determines the encounter slot and if the nature can be synchronized then the gender, ability, and unsynchronised nature is determined two frames away or by the shiny frame if it is two frames away. Thanks, it finally makes sense now.

Hello all,

I'm now tackling hidden grottoes in my white 2 game on my DS. I'm trying to catch a 6iv modest Ditto in the Giant Chasm. The problem is that I cannot generate a ditto. I'm using the 5th generation time finder hidden grotto tab. The slot, subSlot, Gender, Gender Ration are 0, (0,1,2,3), blank, and blank respectively. I'm using the seed 7039F3A1E943F10A with a date/time of 08/18/16 02:09:38 with a timer0 10F3 and no keypresses.

I've made sure all the hidden grottoes except the giant chasm one are occupied with either an item/pokemon. My character is saved in the Hidden Grotto and I start my game a second before the 38th second of the indicated date. I just can't generate the ditto so does anyone have any advice?

shiny finder

forever searching
is a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Chatot Wrangler
Hello all,

I'm now tackling hidden grottoes in my white 2 game on my DS. I'm trying to catch a 6iv modest Ditto in the Giant Chasm. The problem is that I cannot generate a ditto. I'm using the 5th generation time finder hidden grotto tab. The slot, subSlot, Gender, Gender Ration are 0, (0,1,2,3), blank, and blank respectively. I'm using the seed 7039F3A1E943F10A with a date/time of 08/18/16 02:09:38 with a timer0 10F3 and no keypresses.

I've made sure all the hidden grottoes except the giant chasm one are occupied with either an item/pokemon. My character is saved in the Hidden Grotto and I start my game a second before the 38th second of the indicated date. I just can't generate the ditto so does anyone have any advice?
It sounds like you are doing everything right, so my guess is Timer0 trolling. Other than that, the only other options could be not starting the game at the right time (which I'm sure you are if your DS has a 1 second delay), not actually walking 256 steps before exiting the grotto, etc. You could always try a different seed if this one just isn't working out for you.

It sounds like you are doing everything right, so my guess is Timer0 trolling. Other than that, the only other options could be not starting the game at the right time (which I'm sure you are if your DS has a 1 second delay), not actually walking 256 steps before exiting the grotto, etc. You could always try a different seed if this one just isn't working out for you.
Okay, thanks!

Hello,
I have been using the 9.96.6 RNGReporter, and successfully catch several 6v Ditto in pokemon Black.
the seed I used is at frame 11, so I want to find another seed which is at the frame 1, so it will be much more convinient.
however, can the time finder search the seed across the years? I do not see such options. Thanks

Lego

Formally LegoFigure11
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Hello,
I have been using the 9.96.6 RNGReporter, and successfully catch several 6v Ditto in pokemon Black.
the seed I used is at frame 11, so I want to find another seed which is at the frame 1, so it will be much more convinient.
however, can the time finder search the seed across the years? I do not see such options. Thanks
Welcome to Smogon! You can change the year that the Time Finder searches across here:

However, you won't be able to find the same seed in a different year, you'll have to get an altogether new one.

Welcome to Smogon! You can change the year that the Time Finder searches across here:

However, you won't be able to find the same seed in a different year, you'll have to get an altogether new one.
Thank you for your reply!
Sorry for my poor english,
actually what I mean is search the seed in different years at the same time, like: search from 2000 to 2099, is this possible?

shiny finder

forever searching
is a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Chatot Wrangler
Thank you for your reply!
Sorry for my poor english,
actually what I mean is search the seed in different years at the same time, like: search from 2000 to 2099, is this possible?
No, you can only search 1 year at a time with the RNG Reporter.

Eisenherz

επέκεινα της ουσίας
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Is PPRNG still being worked on? 1.15.0 isn't compatible with macOS Sierra, just wondering if a compatible version might pop up one day?

Hello everyone, I bought my White version but i don't have any chatot. I have 2 2DS and no lniker is there a way to inject this pokemon?
If you have any 2 DS Systems and any Gen 4 Pokémon game, you can catch a Chatot in DPPtHGSS and transfer it via Pokeshift after you beat White. (Chatot is also a Hidden Grotto Pokémon in BW2 but I assume you don't have access to those)

Mattapod

bad clarinet music
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
regarding roamer rng abuse

im trying to hit seed 18514F909B71116B to capture tornadus on my black. i beleive im hitting the seed since the ivs are coming out correct but the nature is not. im using pprng and im searching adjacents. this tornadus is on pid 657. ive searched +/- 20,000 PID advancements and still no match. any idea as to what the problem could be?

edit: now that ive tried pprng on my computer, the seeds showing 31/31/31/30/31/31 but im getting 31/31/30/02/31/31 but im hitting the seed. i guess this means the ivrng is advancing by 1 from the time it takes me to step outside the house. should i run around in the house a bit, save, and try again?

edit 2: also, if youre hitting your seed, does that mean youll have the same experience with how many times entering route 7 it takes the rain to come, how many wild encounters before its tornadus etc?

Last edited:
edit 2: also, if youre hitting your seed, does that mean youll have the same experience with how many times entering route 7 it takes the rain to come, how many wild encounters before its tornadus etc?
It's been a long time since I did Thundurus on my White, so I don't recall everything exactly, but if I'm not mistaken the answer to this is no. I don't remember noticing any pattern for entering routes and generating rain or actually finding Thundurus on tall grass (although I hit the seed consistently and always flew to the same route)

shiny finder

forever searching
Chatot Wrangler
regarding roamer rng abuse

im trying to hit seed 18514F909B71116B to capture tornadus on my black. i beleive im hitting the seed since the ivs are coming out correct but the nature is not. im using pprng and im searching adjacents. this tornadus is on pid 657. ive searched +/- 20,000 PID advancements and still no match. any idea as to what the problem could be?

edit: now that ive tried pprng on my computer, the seeds showing 31/31/31/30/31/31 but im getting 31/31/30/02/31/31 but im hitting the seed. i guess this means the ivrng is advancing by 1 from the time it takes me to step outside the house. should i run around in the house a bit, save, and try again?

The RNG Reporter doesn't show either set of IVs for that seed, so not sure what's going on there...unless those IVs are on an adjacent seed in which case you're missing your seed. Do you mean you know the PID but you can't find it listed? If that's the case, then I'd say something else is wrong.

Iirc the step to leave the house doesn't cause the IV frame to advance, but if you find that you're advancing the IV frame then yeah running in the house for a bit then re-saving should fix that.

And confirming that it won't be the same every time to encounter it (unfortunately).

Mattapod

bad clarinet music
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
alright so after more time, aka all friggin day.. this is where im at in my quest to rng tornadus

seed 53393624C3B1B352 and PID a1c32b83

consistently hitting the seed but cant hit the pid. seemingly hitting every pid but that one. one question i have is, does the shifted starting frame fluctuate a bit each time, even when you hit the seed? i never seem to get a consistent result but seem to be landing between frames 690-703 every time (the target is 698) after anywhere between 77-90 chatot chatters.

ive tried to calculate the shifted starting frame and gotten mixed results between 605-618 with 608 being pretty common. is this normal? or should you be able to accurately and easily pin down a shifted starting frame that works every time?

this is so damn hard haha

I remember hitting consistently the same PID for each number of advancements I did. E. g., doing 100 advancements would consistently hit frame 605, doing 101 advancements would hit frame 608 often.

The problem is that doing +X advancements does not mean you'll hit X frames later. The frames you hit fluctuate a lot without any rime or reason, which is really frustrating (once I hit every frame from target -4 to target +4, except for my target).

I used a lot of different seeds and tried at least 15 different numbers of Chatters for each of them, throughout a week, until I finally got Thundurus.

One thing I remember that helped was using a seed whose date made the weather snowy. When you leave the house, if it's snowing, the weather changes from snow to clear to rain, and snow advances less frames than rain. I recall this making my advances more consistent (my hits were closer to each other)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 27)