1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  3. Welcome to Wi-Fi! Please remember to read the rules and do NOT create a new thread for simple trades or Friend Safari codes.

5th Gen PRNG Help / Info - Latest: RNG Reporter 9.96.5, PPRNG 1.15.0

Discussion in 'Wi-Fi' started by Slashmolder, Dec 1, 2010.

1. Ortega

Ortega

My RNG nightmare is over!
    Thundurus
    Naive
    29/31/28/31/30/31

So, I have some tips for anyone going after roamers.

RNG at the house on route 7.
    If you search this thread you'll find many giving this advice. While the roamer can be KO'ed and respawned by fighting the E4, you'll have a VERY hard time RNGing the IVs due to battles progressing the frame.

RNG your roamer last.
    I decided to go after Thundurus before even getting my Zekrom done, which was probably a mistake. The roamer is probably the most difficult RNG venture in B/W, and you'll be TRAPPED in the Route 7 house until you're done. Even if you can hit your seed, its nature is very hard to control, so you'll likely need to hit your seed many times before you happen upon your goal. So don't start it unless you have a lot of time to devote to the task and don't mind that you'll be stuck in the route 7 house during that time.

If you value your sanity you'll want to use your Master Ball. This means that, until you can acquire the other Master Ball in the game, you won't have it available to quickly catch other legendaries you're trying to RNG for calibration purposes.

If you put off RNGing the roamer for last there might be a new release of RNG Reporter that might have features that could help make things easier. Who knows, good things come to those who wait, right? I'd recommend putting off the roamer as long as possible.

Occasionally recalibrate, confirm frame.
    Generally, your calibration value will apply to anything you try to RNG in B/W. But, in the case of the roamer, you may want to keep closer tabs on how close you're landing to your goal. I found that I needed to adjust from -40 to -36 for more consistency.

You may want to track which Nature you get as part of your calibration process. Though you can't control it directly, it being based on the non-C-Gear RNG process, there probably will be a pattern anyway. If there's anything we've learned about the RNG, it's that it's not really random. If you find yourself often getting the same undesired Natures then you might want to choose another seed, or as Mattj suggested, save before leaving the house to advance the frame on the RNG that controls PID/nature/shininess.

While doing this you should check to make sure your roamer's IV spread is landing on the right frame, as well. I found that RNG reporter was reporting my roamer spreads 1 frame earlier than their actual position. So, instead of looking for a spread on frame 4, I chose one on frame 3; when I caught my roamer, the desired IV spread was on frame 4, not 3. This wasn't true when I caught Cobalion: RNG Reporter gave me the correct frame. So check for any inconsistencies. This is probably something that varies from DS to DS.

Frame 4 is the default frame your roamer will be generated on after leaving the house if you don't advance the frame. If you compromise for a less-than-perfect IV spread you can save yourself a lot of stress by picking a spread that doesn't require you to advance frames.

The roamer appears on specific routes.
    Depending on what day/time your seed is on, the roamer will appear on one or two routes more often. First, find a route by watching the ticker on one of the route checkpoints. Then ride your bike on and off the route until a thunder storm starts. For the first seed I was going for, it appeared very often on route 6. When I changed seeds, it didn't appear there AT ALL. Route 5 turned out to be the new spot.

So that does it for my tips. I won't be trying to RNG my wife's Tornadus any time soon thanks to what a pain Thundurus proved to be. >:( Some day, though. Can't have Raijin without Fujin.
  2. jones115

jones115

hold on what difference does it make to RNG on a dsi than on a regular DS
  3. Sprocket

Sprocket P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n

Heh yeah, Thundurus/Tornadus are by far the worst Pokemon to RNG I've ever seen. They make Raikou, Entei, and Lati@s at the Elite Four look easy by comparison.

And that's definitely some solid advice.
    On a regular DS/DS Lite, you can set your system time by hitting the A button. On a DSi and DSi XL, you're forced to use the touch screen to set your time. Using the touch screen, in my opinion, leaves you more open for error and timing inconsistencies.
  4. Exploits

Exploits

Nice read, Ortega. Wish I knew you couldn't leave the house until you RNG it.
  5. ΩDonut

ΩDonut don't glaze me bro
    is a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Contributor to Smogon

What I do is hold down my thumb on the touch screen and release it when I start the first timer. You can get timing about as consistent as a regular DS that way.
  6. Sprocket

Wish I'd have known that a year ago!
  7. voodoo pimp

voodoo pimp Apply directly to the forehead
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

I never considered that. Does it work for turning on the C-Gear as well?
  8. Ortega

Ortega

I do what OmegaDonut said when syncing my DSi. It takes some getting used to, since you're clicking with one hand and "unclicking" with the other. But yes, hitting A is easier.

I actually find the DSi to be a little bit better to abuse RNG with, because you can change the date/time and don't have to power the DS back on afterwards. Also, a DS lite's power button is on a spring mechanism, and can be damaged fairly easily. I dropped my DS lite ONCE and the power button got dislodged, rendering it unusable. I feel safer turning my DSi on and off a million times thanks to the little non-springy power button.
  9. zerohorus

zerohorus

i know what you mean i dropped once my ds and now everytime i want to turn it on i have to pump it like a motor boat :/
  10. manth

manth

Most urgent question. If using sweet scent and my target frame is 2977, on what frame do I want to use sweet scent?

I'm trying to see if I can get this shiny and would hate to mess this up. sitting on the 2901st frame waiting for some help :D
  11. Princess Emily

Princess Emily

Any tips how to RNG dustclouds in caves (especially for Drilbur), ripples in water, or shaking patches in grasses?
    Do I also need to run less than 128 steps and hope for a dustcloud/shaking patch/ripple patch to appear?

BTW, how many IV frames does it advance if I sweet scent in water?
  12. COKTAL

COKTAL

@Voodoo Pimp: I know it's against the rules to ask for AR codes, but that's why I asked for what the code is called, so I know what to look up. So can anyone at least tell me what the code to check what frame you're on is called.
  13. EliteBlitzer

EliteBlitzer

Oh man,Trying to generate a seed for a flawless Zekrom with max frame of 13 is IMPOSSIBLE,I've tried for 2011,2012,2013,2014 with min/max delay of 1000/10000
    My Mac address is 8A603C,Anyone care to check with me?
  14. Newts

Newts

Heh I had a similar yet different problem, I have a hex flawless spread, but it was on the impossible frame of 1 lol

What do you want to use it for? If its going to be purely physical just drop the SpA IV. That will give you 30 more possible results and I managed to get a frame 3 spread with 31 31 31 15 31 31 which is perfectly suitable for my specific use
  15. EliteBlitzer

EliteBlitzer

I Wanted a Lonely Mixed Attacker,But i can go for pure physical if there is no hope in getting a hex flawless one.
  16. Newts

Newts

Maybe if you tried 31 >28 31 31 31 31

You will need to compromise somewhere.
  17. Princess Emily

Princess Emily

Or you can go for >=30, 31, >=30, 31, >=30, 31.

I also found a spread in frame 3 (meaning no advances), at 4914 delay:
    31/31/30/31/30/31
    EDIT: Oops, I think this is only from my DS MAC Address

And like what Newts said, we need to compromise a bit ;)
  18. Diabolico

Diabolico

Okay. I'm going to try to rng abuse my own zekrom and Reshiram

But before I start playing pokemon black and white, is there there that I do before I get to those 2 dragons at N's castle?

And do I save right in front of those dragons and then start rng abusing them just like we did to the other legendaries on the 4th gen.?
  19. Newts

Newts

Yes but take a sync because Natures cannot be controlled yet.

It may pay to use Cobalion to calibrate yourself because after catching Zekrom it is a pain in the butt to get his IVs quickly, you either need to lose to N so you can see your nature and RC for exact IVs, or use the status screen during the N fight while best guessing the nature and having an IV spread of two possible numbers in every stat.

I did it that way so it is possible, but there is a much easier way lol
  20. Diabolico

Diabolico

Thanks, Newts.
  21. Zoap

Zoap

This is probably a dumb question, but I'm understanding everything up to this point. For confirming that I hit the C-Gear seed, I need to sweet scent in a cave/patch of grass, yet it also says that battles advance the frame by 120 per second later in the frame advance section. So my question is, is it only trainer battles that advance the frame or any battle. And if its any battle that means I have to advance the frame then sweet scent right?

Example being if I wanted something on Frame 7, -3 for starting gives me 4 frame advancements or 4 saves/walk 128 with 4 pokemon and then sweet scent?

Thanks in advance.
  22. Sprocket

I'll check for you, I have CPU cycles to spare right now. To save time I'm going to try 10001-20000 for the delay.

Like they said, you might have to compromise on the IVs. If you're going for a physical attacker, you can do without special attack. If you're going for a special attacker, you can do without physical attack. If you're going for mixed though, you might need to try higher frames.
  23. Sprocket

Whatever your advancements are prior to you using Sweet Scent, that will determine your IVs. So if you are on frame 7 when you use Sweet Scent, your IVs will be determined by frame 7.

Saving only advances the PIDRNG, not the IVRNG. To advance the IVRNG you take 128 steps (and it advances by how many Pokemon are in your party).
  24. Newts

Newts

All battles advance it. You only verify to calibrate your timer, after that you can't verify your delay before capturing your target. If you are on frame 7 the only way you will know you hit the right seed is if you actually caught your target.

Also saving the game doesn't advance your Cgear frame, you are restricted to walking 128 steps with 4 pokes
  25. Zoap

Zoap

Thank You Newts/Sprocket, I just misread the save thing, so no worries there lol. It was just the battle thing I wasn't 100% sure on.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)