1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

6 Pokes, 1 Sandbox

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by Subject 18, Feb 10, 2013.

1. Subject 18

Subject 18 ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Battle Server Moderator

All right everyone. I'm back with another team, my last team wasnt working too well for me so I made a new one. I had the itch to use Alakazam since I getting beat by it quite a bit. I've had some level of success with the team but its by no means perfect of quite as good as it could be. I've recently fell into a battling slump and this has brought to light some holes in the team (dicussed later) which eventually brought me to make this RMT.

Team Preview

[​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Team Analysis

[​IMG]

Tyranitar @ Chople Berry
    Trait: Sand Stream
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
    Sassy Nature
    - Crunch
    - Pursuit
    - Fire Blast
    - Stone Edge

I chose an offensive set for this TTar to have a better way for trapping and dealing huge damage to the likes of Celebi and Lati@s. Fire Blast carried for Forretress and Ferrothorn as they trying to set up Hazards. Stone Edge for any Salamence and Dragonite. The Chople Berry allows me to take a Fighting move and retaliate back before dying. This TTar set has been kinda meh for me so this is something that is most like going to change since I not too hot on it.

[​IMG]

Scizor @ Choice Band
    Trait: Technician
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
    Adamant Nature
    - Bullet Punch
    - U-turn
    - Superpower
    - Pursuit

Standard CB Scizor. I always like to have some sort of priority on my teams and Scizor was probably the best one for the job. This one here is pretty straight forward. BP for STAB priority, U-Turn allows me to scout and keep the momentum on my side rather than my opponents.

[​IMG]

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 232 HP / 56 SAtk / 220 Spd
    Modest Nature
    - Volt Switch
    - Hydro Pump
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Pain Split

Specially defensive Rotom-W. Since TTar is more offense variant I need something else to be able to take some special hits. I also chose it since is a Water resist and with Keldeo being pretty popular its nice to have around. I tend to lead with it, Scout and Volt Switch out or try and get a burn. Emphasis on try. Pain Split is also really handy since Blissey will often want to switch in on a Hydro Pump but instead I pain split and regain health that I lose from taking hits and Sand damage.

[​IMG]

Alakazam @ Focus Sash
    Trait: Magic Guard
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature
    - Shadow Ball
    - Focus Blast
    - Psyshock
    - Hidden Power [Ice]

Alakazam is my main sweeper especially late game when the opposing has been worn down and hazards. I chose Psyshock over Psychic to be able to hit Blissey better when it switches in to take the incoming hit. Focus Sash over Life Orb due to the fact that Kazam is paper thin frail. I might miss out on some power but I'd gladly take being able to survive a hit that would have killed and continue to try and sweep. I used to run Energy Ball over HP Ice but I rarely found myself using it and found myself wishing I could of had HP Ice instead. So I made the change.

[​IMG]

Ferrothorn @ Rocky Helmet
    Trait: Iron Barbs
    EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SDef
    Relaxed Nature
    IVs: 0 Spd
    - Stealth Rock
    - Spikes
    - Leech Seed
    - Protect

My hazards settler. Its a pretty standard set apart from not having Lefties and using Rocky Helmet instead. The helmet helps wear down physical attackers like Scizor or Terrakion with Iron Barbs and Rocky Helmet. Leech seed is to sap health from pokes and pass that to another member that might be in need for it for a couple turns to survive. This set is also another one I'm not to fond of. It's not that great for me. So Ferro could easily be swamped for another pokemon and I wouldn't object to the change at all.

[​IMG]

Landorus (M) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Sheer Force
    Timid Nature
    - Earth Power
    - Focus Blast
    - Hidden Power [Ice]
    - Rock Polish

Landorus-I is my second late game cleaner if Alakazam was able to finish out the game for me. This guy has single handedly won me games and has become a staple to most of teams. I send this guy out to threaten something out set up a Rock Polish and proceed to wreck shop (assuming I can hit Focus Miss when I need to) until an Ice Shard user comes out and I'm forced to switch out. This set was originally Modest but I changed it to a Timid one for a little more speed. I felt like the extra speed might come in handy and the drop off in power is something I could afford.

Notable threats
    This a small list of threats off the top of my head that I know I struggle with. I'll try to get a full threat list up in the morning since its late and I'm tired.

- I have don't have much to switch into a Terrakion. I noticed this earlier today when Terrakion would come in and I would pretty much have to let something die.
    - Sub CM Keldeo. It gets behind a sub I'm pretty much done.
    - Scizor kinda of a issue if Ferrothorn has died.
    - Status Passers. If my opponents carries a poke that passes status around like candy on Halloween, I'm going to seriously struggle.
    - Hazards. I have nothing to really stop my opponent from setting up his own hazards.
    - Scarf Jirachi. Rachi is a problem to my team since the team as a whole isn't very fast and U-Turn breaks Alakazam's Sash and Ice Punch OHKO Landorus and nothing on my team really can deal with it very well.

EXPORTABLE

Show Hide
    Tyranitar @ Chople Berry
    Trait: Sand Stream
    EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
    Brave Nature
    - Crunch
    - Pursuit
    - Fire Blast
    - Stone Edge

Alakazam @ Focus Sash
    Trait: Magic Guard
    Timid Nature
    - Shadow Ball
    - Focus Blast
    - Psyshock
    - Hidden Power [Ice]

Landorus (M) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Sheer Force
    Timid Nature
    - Earth Power
    - Focus Blast
    - Hidden Power [Ice]
    - Rock Polish

Ferrothorn @ Rocky Helmet
    Trait: Iron Barbs
    EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SDef
    Relaxed Nature
    IVs: 0 Spd
    - Stealth Rock
    - Spikes
    - Leech Seed
    - Protect

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
    EVs: 232 HP / 56 SAtk / 220 Spd
    Modest Nature
    - Volt Switch
    - Hydro Pump
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Pain Split

Scizor @ Choice Band
    Trait: Technician
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
    Adamant Nature
    - Bullet Punch
    - U-turn
    - Superpower
    - Pursuit

2. asterat

asterat

Wow good team luvdisced.
    Your ferrothorn seems a bit redundant with rotom-w and scizor, defensively I don't know exactly what it does. Forretress is a very good alternative to ferrothorn because of its rapid spin. It can take a +2 close combat from terrakion and KO with gyro ball which will be useful. This alleviates your weakness to hazards some. To help you out against status users which you highlighted as a threat you could try a lum berry on tyranitar. Mostly it will help against scalds but it really does help. Using a latias or latios over alakazam will help a lot against keldeo and rain. With hidden power fire they can get rid of scizor. A life orb variant is probably what will work best for you, but CM latias is good too. In order to help with terrakion in a different place, you could try a slightly bulkier landorus, max speed is not neccessary at +2.
  3. Eranu

Eranu

Hey, cool team.

There are a couple of threats to your team. First off, strong physical attackers seem hard to switch into. All variants of Keldeo seem threatening too, as you will always have to predict between Hydro Pump / Secret Sword. I feel like making two changes could solve this, namely: Forretress > Ferrothorn and Latias > Alakazam. With Forretress > Ferrothorn you'll have the physical wall that your team needs. Forretress can run both Spikes and Stealth Rocks as well. Forretress also adds a Rapid Spinner to your team, which can come in really handy with your Scizor + Rotom VoltTurn core. You will still have to be somewhat careful with some Terrakion sets, so I recommend running Gyro Ball in the fourth slot. You can also choose to run Volt Switch > Spikes so you can gain more momentum having a three 'mon VoltTurn chain. I feel like Ferrothorn is easily replaceable since, looking at your team, the only thing it does it lay hazards. The only problem this change brings is a Rotom-w weakness. Therefore i want to suggest the second switch of Latias > Alakazam. Not only can Latias switch in on Rotom, it can also deal with any Keldeo and outspeed and KO LO or Band Terrakion, which Forretress has trouble with. I think you don't need Alakazam as a late game sweeper as Landorus does a really good job at that already. Having something bulkier in that spot seems more important. This also solves your weakness to Breloom, which is pretty big, as Latias can take any hit and OHKO with Psyshock. I'll explain the custom ev set for the latias i posted in the bottom of this post: basically it's enough HP and Special Defense to live two specs Icy winds from Keldeo so Latias will be able to handle every Keldeo set.

Edit: Ninja'd =_=

Now, for some smaller changes, I'd recommend running 30 speed ivs on your Scizor. This allows it move second versus other Scizor, giving you the switch advantage. Next up, Chople Berry is a bad item on Tyranitar in this meta. It only helps versus Gengar. Your set can also live one Focus Blast from LO Lando, but you can't do anything in return, so I suggest you change your item to Leftovers and you might also want to consider running 112 Speed evs as that will allow you to outspeed standard Scizor and OHKO with Fire Blast, but it's still a risk with Bullet Punch. You can also run Stealth Rocks > Stone Edge, so you can have an extra move slot on Forretress. I don't think you really need Stone Edge since an Earthquake from both Salamence and Dragonite can easily KO Tyranitar after a little previous damage so you won't be using Stone Edge as much.Also, your Rotom-w isn't really specially defensive, so if you feel like you need more special bulk run 252 HP /252 Sp Def with a Calm nature on it, only do this if you feel you need it though.

Hope I helped, good luck.

~Sets:

Show Hide
    Forretress (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Sturdy
    EVs: 252 HP / 60 Def / 196 SDef
    Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
    - Stealth Rocks
    - Volt Switch / Spikes
    - Rapid Spin
    - Gyro Ball

Latias (F) @ Life Orb
    EVs: 156 HP / 88 SAtk / 12 SDef / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Hidden Power [Fire]
    - Draco Meteor
    - Psyshock
    - Roost
  4. Subject 18

Subject 18 ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Battle Server Moderator

Eranu, what EVs should I run on TTar instead of what I currently have?
  5. Jimbon

Jimbon FAKE TRAIN
    is a Team Rater Alumnus

Hi there,

Pretty cool team you got here, with Scizor + Tyranitar beating Landorus's counters. Anyway, the main problem like others have pointed out is Keldeo. Your only water resists in Rotom-W and Ferrothorn both don't appreciate taking a Secret Sword, meaning you really have no reliable way of beating it, outside of getting in Alakazam after it dies which isn't going to work if Alakazam has taken prior damage. I think something like Specially Defensive Celebi would work well in your team, probably over Rotom-W. I don't really see the merit of Specially Defensive Rotom-W in the current metagame, as it lacks reliable recovery and isn't as good as it was in the Tornadus-T era. Celebi provides you with a much more reliable answer to Keldeo, while still helping you beat the same waters (Politoed, Starmie, etc). You also mentioned you were weak to status, which Celebi can run Heal Bell to compensate for that, making it much easier to sweep with Landorus.

When looking over your team, I noticed that your Tyranitar set was slightly inefficient. I think you'd make much better use if you try out a spread of 252 HP / 148 Atk / 60 Def / 48 Spe over your current set. The EVs allow you to live a Scarf Terrakion Close Combat from full HP with Chople Berry, while the speed allows you to outspeed stuff like 8 Spe Scizor and 0 Spe Jellicent, so you can remove both of them with the right coverage move. If you go with this set, I'd also advise you trying out Superpower over Crunch on Tyranitar aswell. Superpower allows you to hit Terrakion, as you can now live a Close Combat with this EV spread. These are small changes, but they patch up some pretty big weaknesses your team has.

On such an offensive team, I think you could make much better use of Ferrothorn aswell. The main benefit of Ferrothorn on an offensive team is that Ferrothorn itself is all you really need as support, as it can setup hazards effectively and force a lot of switches. Because Ferrothorn can force so many switches, I think you should try out Thunder Wave over Protect, as you can easily switch into Surf / Draco Meteor / Thunder and paralyze the incoming switch, potentially slowing down a faster threat that causes trouble for Landorus. On the topic of Ferrothorn, I think you should also drop Leech Seed for Power Whip. With your current set, Ferrothorn is setup fodder for everything with a boosting move, as you lack an attacking move. Power Whip at least gives you an option to hit Keldeo, who is by far the biggest threat to this team, while you still hit the Ferrothorn switch in for 10%~ on top of Stealth Rock, slowly chipping down Landorus's counters.

Good luck!

celebi (open)
    Celebi @ Leftovers
    Trait: Natural Cure
    EVs: 248 HP / 224 SAtk / 36 Spe
    Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
    - Psychic / Giga Drain
    - U-turn / Heal Bell
    - Perish Song
    - Recover
  6. Eranu

Eranu

Since you want it to trap, I advise running enough speed evs to outspeed every Jellicent (112 evs) max attack and the rest in HP.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)