Other 6th Gen Pokemon OU Candidate Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think noivern is a borderline ou pokemon and so is treveant. I think talonflame, greninja and aegislash are guarnted

Out of the new mons these will be OU for sure:
Aegislash (can run physical, special or mixed, amazing defensive typing, priority and access to 2 boosting moves + kings shield)
Greninja (stab on everything good special movepool, strongest hidden power in the game, fast and has U-Turn)
Talonflame (best priority in the game, fast, prior roost, has 2 boosting moves and U-Turn)

Then there's a bunch of mons with a niche in OU:
Trevenant (spinblocker, can subseed/subcurse, will-o-wisp, can status absorb with rest lum harvest or natural cure, pretty bulky, high attack and great neutral coverage with stabs).
Goodra (unmatched special bulk, great defensive typing, excellent movepool, 3 good abilities lacks good recovery outside of rain)
Heliolisk (fast stab volt switch, nice movepool, 2 immunities, probably not viable outside of rain/sun)
Gourgeist (bulkier than trevenant, spinblocker, subseed, solid movepool, lacks good recovery)
Zygarde (bulky, nice boosting options, extreme speed, mediocre defensive typing, poor movepool)
Vivillon (compound eyes sleep powder/hurricane, quiver dance)
Pangoro (scarf parting shot, otherwise horrible)
Klefki (annoying cunt, good screener, amazing typing)
Barbaracle (shell smash, tough claws, talonflame counter)
Diggersby (tho, 2 boosting options, good stabs and movepool, U-Turn, can run scarf/band, priority)
Noivern (fast U-Turn, solid move pool, boomburst, frisk switcheroo, infiltrator)

And that's about it for new Mons.

Rotosect

Banned deucer.
Something that confuses me is how Greninja is OU but Keldeo is UU.
Keldeo lacks Ice Beam and STAB on Hidden Power, but otherwise it has far better stats, type, access to a good boosting move and is a lot harder to wall thanks to Secret Sword.
Now that the shiny new toy syndrome has worn off I was expecting Greninja to plummet to the bottom of OU and Keldeo to take its place, but it didn't happen. What gives?

Now that the shiny new toy syndrome has worn off I was expecting Greninja to plummet to the bottom of OU and Keldeo to take its place, but it didn't happen. What gives?
Greninja has U-turn and higher speed, which can make all the difference. This allows Greninja to do a better job at pivoting and leading, while Keldeo serves better as a set up sweeper.

Keldeo lacks Ice Beam and STAB on Hidden Power, but otherwise it has far better stats, type, access to a good boosting move and is a lot harder to wall thanks to Secret Sword.
STAB Ice Beam and Hidden Power are that good, I suppose. Greninja also functions as a competent component of volt-turn cores with STAB U-Turn. What's more is that it often does both in one set. Another contributing factor is that rain has fallen out of favor so scarfed Hydro Pump spamming Keldeo has become much less common.

Keldeo gained multiple checks and counters in the form of Fairy types, Azu being a hard counter followed by Togekiss and lastly Clefable. Then you have priority flying types that are currently all over the place in OU that only add to more checks for Keldeo. In addition, his attacking prowess is nerfed with Hydro pump dealing less, due to -10 BP + lack of permanent weather, add that with hidden power also going down 10 base power means he has more difficulty muscling through things as he did last gen. Finally, we have Mega Venusaur as another hard counter to Keldeo, as well as other OU grass types like Trevenant. Given that he's received nothing but the short end of the stick this generation is it all that surprising that his usage went down?

Last edited:
Keldeo merely switched checks and counters with what he used to had. Jellicent, celebi and latias all dropped in usage while azumarill, sylveon and venusaur are in ou. The only thing the rain nerf did was make it not broken. Its still extremely good, water fighting coverage hits almost the entire metagame, solid bulk and defensive typing make it hard to kill (talonflame and pinsir being the only priority users to do so), 108 speed puts it ahead of a huge part of the meta, 129 sp attack+hydro pump punchs holes like no one. Theres is absolutely no way its staying uu, as soon as the ''new toy'' fad dies its absolutely going back to ou.

This is theorymon on my part, but a Flying weakness probably keeps Keldeo down somewhat. No one wants to give a free Brave Bird to Talonflame if at all possible. That, and I think the December usage statistics included the non-Pokebank time too.

The OU/UU stuff is currently based on usage and not viability and brokenness at the moment.

and pokebank did only come out like...2 weeks ago, a lot of people probably didn't change their teams much so that could skew the usage ratings

give it at least 2 months to be somewhat....believable

The tiers are a joke right now, UU has Keldeo, Kyu-B, Deo-S/D and Latios. Don't take them into consideration much, once BL gets remade the usage will sort itself out.

Keldeo merely switched checks and counters with what he used to had. Jellicent, celebi and latias all dropped in usage while azumarill, sylveon and venusaur are in ou. The only thing the rain nerf did was make it not broken. Its still extremely good, water fighting coverage hits almost the entire metagame, solid bulk and defensive typing make it hard to kill (talonflame and pinsir being the only priority users to do so), 108 speed puts it ahead of a huge part of the meta, 129 sp attack+hydro pump punchs holes like no one. Theres is absolutely no way its staying uu, as soon as the ''new toy'' fad dies its absolutely going back to ou.
Well only time will tell since I don't see him as merely switching checks and counters since said mons are still quite viable in OU, and are not particularly obscure mons you'd have to cull out from the very lowest tiers tailored only to deal with him. If anything it is likely that his old checks and counters have just as been affected by the novelty of new mons, gaining lower usage than they should, but the point still stands that he now has a bigger pool of counters as well checks this generation - giving you more leeway to handle him since none would be particularly dead weight to a team. He does have good qualities in what you've mentioned but again my emphasis is that the changes in the meta-game have hardly been kind to him so I don't find his drop in usage to be anything odd, nor do I believe he'll be regaining his former glory.

Last edited:

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
We have already gotten usage stats for two months in OU, so we have a pretty good idea of which Pokemon will be in OU. It's true that the metagame is not staple at all yet, but we have passed the early and unexplored stage that made the existence of this thread worthy. If you want to hype or bash a particular Pokemon that you think is or isn't deserving to be OU, you can do it in its respective thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)