Gen 1 6th spot: Rhydon vs. Snorlax

yond

mitt game strong
is a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Rhydon does more for you team for one reason. He provides you with a solid all out physical attackers.

Snorlax is good, but behind a sub rhydon can ruin teams especially with tauros as an aid

Thanks Aether, you've cleared up a fair bit that I had misinterpreted. I have been reading up on GSC a bit (in case a tournament #2 :P) and maybe because of that I overemphasized the value of Snorlax. Also, while Rhydon might be a powerhouse, he does have a lot of weaknesses, and even with good para support there are still a lot of things that OHKO him, or damn close.

So, going with your advice to pressure the tournament to be one or the other, it is highly likely that we will go exclusively 6v6 Stadium (with maybe some fun 3v3 afterwards, but not "official", but still good bragging rights) just because its more fun for other people to watch. With that, and the emphasized advice that Slowbro should be on my team as a surprise factor, I have reformulated the team.

Gengar (new lead)
- Thunderbolt
- Psychic
- Confuse Ray
- Explosion

I removed Hypnosis because sleep isn't very good on Stadium, and as I mentioned earlier, I am a big fan of Confuse Ray, especially on my friends who aren't too apt to switch (barring huge type weaknesses). Psychic is mostly there for other Gengar, which I would be expecting to see (most of my friends know its good). I figure, Seismic Toss is mostly for Exeggutor, which I don't expect to see, and my Gengar doesn't fair well against. As for Mega Drain, I already have a fair bit of rock counters, and I don't like leaving Gengar in against them anyways (plus Psychic to my knowledge will still be a 2HKO?)
Confuse Ray over Hypnosis is still a fine choice. The 60% accuracy is quite the frustration causer if it keeps missing or your Gengar gets Paralyzed or even OHKO'd from missing. Seismic Toss is clearly a 4HKO on Exeguttor and so on with the move. As for Exeggutor vs. Gengar, yeah, it should never stay in against the walking 3-headed coconut tree. I would believe STAB + Super Effective Psychic from Exeggutor will surely OHKO Gengar, even with Gengars huge Base 130 (358 max) Special.

Psychic vs. Mega Drain is actually something people fought about for ages on Gengar. Mega Drain is chosen because you can gain quite a chunk of HP from something that Mega Drain hurts a lot, such as Water-types or Rock-/Ground-types. Mega Drain 2HKO's both Golem and Rhydon; STAB Psychic does as well. Thunderbolt can ward off those pesky Water-types and hopefully Paralyze them. Other than those, Gengar should be a fine lead.

Exeggutor
- Psychic
- Double Edge
- Stun Spore
- Explosion.

Again, no sleep powder (stadium). Double Edge for Alakazam and Chansey and such, I don't expect to go against Starmie anyway. The funny thing is, I don't expect my friends to be 100% carrying Blizzard (most will probably use Surf for STAB, Psychic because they know its the "best type", Recover, and then a tossup between Twave/Tbolt/Blizzard), but I think they will be convinced that I am carrying Mega Drain, and won't keep Starmie in for very long. With this prediction in mind, I'll probably take advantage of Stun Spore more.
Right, as I said, I had a great set for Exeggutor, far better than this one. Much like how Borat said, you have 3 Pokemon that can use a Sleep inducing move, which you should use. Sleep is important in either link battle or Stadium, because putting a Pokemon to sleep in RBY is like Freezing that Pokemon; it's basically useless and chances are that it will faint before it wakes up, and even if it does, it can't attack on the turn it wakes up on, making it even worse.

I honestly would not put Double-Edge on Exeggutor. There are far more things that can deal with Chansey and the rest other than Exeggutor. Let me explain why Double-Edge isn't as good as it sounds on it vs. Chansey and other Pokemon: Exeggutor is going to lose 90 HP due to recoil damage from hitting Chansey and losing 176 HP if you get a Critical Hit. Chansey will then hit you with a Super Effective Ice Beam that will KO if it lands a CH. From the recoil damage and the SE Ice Beam, Exeggutor will have very low HP and you can just Explode on the fat pink blob.

Just don't use DB on Chansey, or anything with a lot of HP, like Snorlax. Use it wisely and not to kill yourself. But you can always replace it with Sleep Powder if you find DB causing too much recoil damage. It's really going to be a bitter ending if you get hit by DB recoil damage then get KO'd by something and you weren't able to use Explosion.

Tauros
- Body Slam
- Double Edge
- Blizzard
- Earthquake

Switched to DE for Stadium because of Hyper Beam cooldown regardless of KO. I'm wondering maybe its worth it to keep Hyper Beam as a pseudo-Explosion/one-final-hit sort of deal
First off, and again, use DB wisely. Avoid hitting big HP stat Pokemon like Chansey, Snorlax, Lapras, etc, with it. Stick with STAB Body Slam until you think you can KO the Pokemon with STAB Double-Edge (also remember Double-Edge deals 100 damage in RBY, not 120, but with STAB it'll do 150). Not much else to say. Everything else is just standard.

Chansey
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Thunder Wave
- Softboiled

Good ol' status absorber. If Aether is true in saying that Rhydon is only good for absorbing paralysis, then Chansey will suffice to take that status. She is my instant switch-in if my opponent leads Alakazam (which I expect to see on EVERY team).
Yes, but I also said it's a sure fire counter to Zapdos, but since you guys aren't playing with Legendary Pokemon (you, much like many players, think 'Legendary' is 'Ubers' meaning you banned Mewtwo and Mew, but the Legendary Bird trio are the only Legendary Pokemon in RBY, so might want to make that clear to your "opponents" and fellow readers). Chansey is a good PAR and PSN absorber, but don't make her fall asleep, she wont like being putting to sleep.

Unless you can bring her in on something like Starmie and your opponents don't realize Special attackers wont hurt her much than you can sleep it out and Softboiled the damage off once you wake up. Also, make sure you keep track of her HP, because if you go below 511 health points below your Chansey's max HP stat than it wont be able to use a recovery move. Other than that, it's all just standard. If you think your friends are going to use more Physical based moves due to lack of RBY move knowledge, than tossing Counter on Chansey will be a nice option.

Slowbro
- Surf
- Amnesia
- Thunder Wave
- Rest
Standard Tobybro. I don't know if Psychic is really necessary on Slowbro, and I heard an old saying about RBY that "you can never have too much paralysis". I would assume this would be more true on Stadium
You wont need Psychic on Tobybro, unless you went all-out offensive Tobybro, which you don't see too much as people want to T-wave shit instead of using STAB Psychic. STAB Surf is more effective, hence why it's put onto the set in it's RBY analysis. And yes, you can never have too much Paralysis in RBY. All though, in Stadium, I'm not too sure, as things in Stadium change quite a bit, so results may vary. Other than that, this Slowbro should kick some real unprepared ass in the tournament. Make sure you bring it out on something that you can set up on while the Pokemon switches out or while it try's to do something against Slowbro while you Amnesia up.

Alakazam
- Psychic
- Thunder Wave
- Recover
- Seismic Toss/Substitute

The major fix is that I replaced Starmie with Alakazam. They are both mainly used as para support on my team, the difference between the two is that Alakazam has less weaknesses (electric mainly, I'm worried about Jolteon) and is faster, and I feel I won't lose to much by sacrificing a boltbeamer.

However, I do not know what to pick between Substiture or Seismic Toss. One is good for protecting my Zam from paralysis (which it actually does on Stadium), the other gives me a bit of squeeze room for stall wars against Starmie and Chansey.
I suppose it's fine, because your friends are most likely going to be using different Pokemon that you don't see too much of in a regular RBY competitive match. Like you said, you fear Jolteon switch-in's so Alakazam should be able to take it on. Sad part about that is if Jolteon uses Substitute in Stadium, it's going to be quite troublesome. You can use Substitute against it, and it's really a tough choice between Seismic Toss or Substitute. It's really up to you. How I look at it, this is what I'm seeing: if you go with Substitute you can block out being Paralyzed, which Alakazam does not like, and any other status in Stadium (except Confusion damage and Confusing causing moves, I think).

If you choose Seismic Toss you can take down things like Exeggutor faster but you'll be put to Sleep or get Paralyzed.To be honest, I'd really go with Substitute on Alakazam since this is Stadium. STAB Psychic can deal enough damage to your friends Pokemon, even if said Pokemon resist the damage, you may get the lucky Special drop. If your Substitute goes and you're against something Alakazam can't face off against, than just switch out if you can and don't waste your Psychic PP, unless you have to.

Overall I'm pretty happy with this team. Again, I'm looking for any advice on my team dynamic, or Stadium in general. Thanks =)
Comments are in bold. Also, remember, your team your choices.
She is my instant switch-in if my opponent leads Alakazam

I've never used Alakazam in any of my RBY teams for that exact reason.

Come to think of it, I never use Alakazam in any of my GSC teams either.

He's honestly an utter failure in every generation, which really makes you wonder why he's ever been OU. Outclassed by Starmie in every imaginable way. For that reason, -Alakazam, +Rhydon/Snorlax.
Well, if you think he's an utter failure, than don't use him. When you play against someone in RBY who dominates you with a Alakazam, you'll clearly see why it does not fail in RBY.

Also, Starmie does not "outclass" it. Every Pokemon in RBY does something different, you can't simply outclass one Pokemon with another, especially in RBY. Alakazam doesn't fear Chansey if she switches in.
I guess I might as well post this before your edit, but if I'm playing Stadium exclusively, is a sleeper still that important? I was led to believe it wasn't... That being said, I think I would prefer it on Exeggutor over Gengar, because I hate the accuracy of Hypnosis and I like Confuse Ray.

As for the Alakazam/Starmie debate, there are a couple of things motivating my decision (though I'm always welcome to change my mind against a more convincing one). Firstly, with my friends playing, I do expect the tournament to include a fair few BL and UU pokemon, which Alakazam can shine a bit more as a special sweeper against (compared to all the Psychic resistant Pokemon in OU). Secondly, I don't like the idea of two waters on my team, as I do fear a Focus Energy pumped Jolteon on Stadium (or Surfing Raichus). As for replacing with Snorlax/Rhydon, out of the two my previous fears would lead me to pick Rhydon (resistant to Electric and adds a few more resistances). However, as my personal arbitrary rule of thumb (though I don't know if its completely rational), I like to have three "fast" pokemon on my team at least; it lets me keep a bit more control over my game and lets luck go to my side first (more crits, and more likely to get crits first --> earlier KOs). Currently, I have Gengar, Tauros, and Alakazam, and I really think my team needs to keep a reliable fast paralyzer for Slowbro to shine. That being said, I do like Starmie, and joked with my friends beforehand that I wouldn't use Alakazam (only to hear them laugh and jeer at me) so I am open to opinions on this debate as well.
Right, then just go with Alakazam. Jolteon will be a far bigger threat in Stadium and without something like Golem/Rhydon to deal with it, it's going to be a tough one to take down if it Subs up and uses Focus Energy, or vice versa. Alakazam is your better option in this case, and Starmie would like to fit into your team but Alakazam fits in better.

Well, that's all I can think of for now. I'm pretty sure I made a few typo's but oh well. It's almost 4 a.m. here, and it's my Birthday today (turned 20), so I need my rest. So anyways, good luck with the changes and thinking them through and when the hell is your tournament? Seems like you're getting all these options flung at you and making teams on cartridge games aren't that simple, even with a sharker.

~ Aether Nexus

Please explain what Alakazam does in RBY. I honestly have no clue. He PP stalls Chansey? Then can we assume Alakazam's speed is a non-factor then? Or do you mean he comes in when Chansey is dead?

He seems to be a special wall more than anything, but with a tick over 300 HP, that's not much walling. Any mistimed FP will result in death. And quite frankly, for whatever reason, he tends to absorb either para or sleep most of the time.

Alakazam in RBY has no real weakness (pin missile lol), has Amazing speed, thus amazing CH rate, Sky high special meaning that he is like a "mini chansey" but with more power and he also has recover just in case you need to restore HP. Basically he has the best typing in the game and really high stats plus a recovery move

Alakazam in RBY has no real weakness (pin missile lol), has Amazing speed, thus amazing CH rate, Sky high special meaning that he is like a "mini chansey" but with more power and he also has recover just in case you need to restore HP. Basically he has the best typing in the game and really high stats plus a recovery move
No weaknesses and also no advantages really. You'll either hit Chansey with sky high Spc/HP, or other psychics.

His amazing speed is usually nullified by Chansey. Unless he plans to run away on sight versus chansey, he'll get paralyzed in some way. Not to mention, the other assortment of switches (Starmie/Egg) also often pack paralysis.

He's a "mini" (and I use that term loosely) Chansey in the same way that... well he's not. 313 HP doesn't cut it anywhere.

well he can take special hits fairly well, also he is a very good sweeper when chansey is gone and can dent pretty much anything not named chansey for amazing damage so i don´t see how you cana consider him not good or "not to have any advantages".

well he can take special hits fairly well, also he is a very good sweeper when chansey is gone and can dent pretty much anything not named chansey for amazing damage so i don´t see how you cana consider him not good or "not to have any advantages".
Yeah, I usually always have both Chansey and Alakazam in my team. The only thing can that can wall Alakazam is something that resists it's STAB Psychic, like Starmie or Exeggutor (or Chansey to wall them and heal them off). Alakazam has Seismic Toss, which helps him out greatly when against things like Exeggutor and so on.

Well you know, we're going completely off-topic - whatever you like to use, and whatever you think does not work, than so be it; it's pointless to argue or discuss such a matter. And not saying this at you, Goto.

Even though I'm using a cartridge I also own Pokemon Stadium (with Dodrio mode) and I've been leveling up almost all of my options (I even have a lvl 100 Jynx with max stat exp... kind of a shame).

Also, I understand the dilemma about using an Exeggutor with Double Edge against Chansey. I made a post a few months ago on this forum about DE on Exeggutor, and the consensus that I read was that (1) Mega Drain seems relatively pointless, as you will lose to Starmie beat Golem/Rhydon anyways and (2) DE is very effective on disposing Alakazam, who has very little HP and thus low recoil damage.

A double powder Exeggutor sounds very tempting (right now I have Psychic/DE/Stun Spore/Sleep Powder... once I decide on his moveset I'll replace a move with Explosion), especially since sleep is accurate. I'm just debating it merit in Stadium, though I guess with its high accuracy it shouldn't backfire too often...

I am enjoying the debate on Alakazam/Starmie, and for me personally I don't find it offtopic at all (I too am still debating between the two greatly). Defensively, Alakazam is overshadowed by Chansey, but having a backup never hurts. Basically this slot is serving a few purposes

1) Scouting the other team and spreading paralysis (and hopefully not getting paralyzed in the process)
2) Cleaning up the garbage late game should Tauros get paralyzed/KOed and Slowbro fails.

Both seem to do a pretty good job at 1 (they can both be alternate leads, they have good typing, fast, recovery). Alakazam has a slightly better edge because he can forces switches better with Psychic SpDown chances and he's faster. As for late game cleanup: If I expected all of my opponents to be completely educated (some are searching online, sort of), I would pick Starmie in a heartbeat, just because of the abundance of Psychic-resistant types. However, in this format, and with Stadium, I expect to see a lot of BL and UU alternatives (Sandslash, Arcanine, 3 Starters, etc.) which is why I switched back to Alakazam. Psychic is reliable, has STAB (unlike Blizz and Tbolt), and has fewer direct counters to stop him. I will probably use Substitute on Zam, so he might also have more protection from status to actually reach goal 2. Also, Chansey has an almost identical moveset to Starmie, Gengar has Tbolt, Slowbro can cover rock/ground; it just feels like Starmie is a little repetitive on the team. Though I guess you could similarly argue that Exeggutor/Alakazam share these features.

Overall, I encourage the debate to continue, as I'm really struggling to pick between the two. While I am afraid of Jolteon (though I have Chansey and Gengar who might fare well), the OU pokemon are still a very real threat, and there might be one or two opponents who are knowledgable and end up bring Eggy and Tauros and such to the team (luckily there are very few good Stadium strategy sources out there). Keep talking guys!

Also, the tournie was originally meant to be held in the summer, but it got postponed for a while and the buzz is starting up again

Even though I'm using a cartridge I also own Pokemon Stadium (with Dodrio mode) and I've been leveling up almost all of my options (I even have a lvl 100 Jynx with max stat exp... kind of a shame).

Also, I understand the dilemma about using an Exeggutor with Double Edge against Chansey. I made a post a few months ago on this forum about DE on Exeggutor, and the consensus that I read was that (1) Mega Drain seems relatively pointless, as you will lose to Starmie beat Golem/Rhydon anyways and (2) DE is very effective on disposing Alakazam, who has very little HP and thus low recoil damage.

A double powder Exeggutor sounds very tempting (right now I have Psychic/DE/Stun Spore/Sleep Powder... once I decide on his moveset I'll replace a move with Explosion), especially since sleep is accurate. I'm just debating it merit in Stadium, though I guess with its high accuracy it shouldn't backfire too often...

I am enjoying the debate on Alakazam/Starmie, and for me personally I don't find it offtopic at all (I too am still debating between the two greatly). Defensively, Alakazam is overshadowed by Chansey, but having a backup never hurts. Basically this slot is serving a few purposes

1) Scouting the other team and spreading paralysis (and hopefully not getting paralyzed in the process)
2) Cleaning up the garbage late game should Tauros get paralyzed/KOed and Slowbro fails.

Both seem to do a pretty good job at 1 (they can both be alternate leads, they have good typing, fast, recovery). Alakazam has a slightly better edge because he can forces switches better with Psychic SpDown chances and he's faster. As for late game cleanup: If I expected all of my opponents to be completely educated (some are searching online, sort of), I would pick Starmie in a heartbeat, just because of the abundance of Psychic-resistant types. However, in this format, and with Stadium, I expect to see a lot of BL and UU alternatives (Sandslash, Arcanine, 3 Starters, etc.) which is why I switched back to Alakazam. Psychic is reliable, has STAB (unlike Blizz and Tbolt), and has fewer direct counters to stop him. I will probably use Substitute on Zam, so he might also have more protection from status to actually reach goal 2. Also, Chansey has an almost identical moveset to Starmie, Gengar has Tbolt, Slowbro can cover rock/ground; it just feels like Starmie is a little repetitive on the team. Though I guess you could similarly argue that Exeggutor/Alakazam share these features.

Overall, I encourage the debate to continue, as I'm really struggling to pick between the two. While I am afraid of Jolteon (though I have Chansey and Gengar who might fare well), the OU pokemon are still a very real threat, and there might be one or two opponents who are knowledgable and end up bring Eggy and Tauros and such to the team (luckily there are very few good Stadium strategy sources out there). Keep talking guys!

Also, the tournie was originally meant to be held in the summer, but it got postponed for a while and the buzz is starting up again
Well, this is how I look at it and for you to choose wisely rather in a haste: if you go with Alakazam you can Sub up and take down most of your opponents due to their lack of knowledge towards the RBY metagame. As for Starmie, if you want a late-game sweeper, which on your team it is best, and you don't fear Jolteon or can handle it, than go with a late-game Starmie. The moveset for such is pretty basic: Surf, Thunderbolt, Blizzard, Recover. As you can see that would be tough to wall once Chansey is removed (or Alakazam) and pretty much anything weakened at around 70% and below should be KO'd.

All though, this will ruin your late-game Tobybro sweep surprise. You can always just bring it in on something and your opponents don't realize you're about to send them into Oblivion by raising your Special with Amnesia. But like I said, if you fear Jolteon, than either keep in Alakazam or if you think you can handle it, than switch in Chansey. If you don't feel like tossing in Chansey, you can always send in Exeggutor to eat the Not Very Effective STAB Thunderbolt and Explode on it to remove your fear of it. Also, if you try to face Starmie against Jolteon late-game, you have a slim chance of winning. Jolteon with STAB + Super Effective Thunderbolt does 261 non-crit and with a crit it's a obvious KO. As for Starmie with STAB Surf, it does 115 non-crit and 222 with a crit.

Jolteon, with it's base 130 Speed reaches a 25% chance of netting a Critical Hit, and if it manages to use Focus Energy, then it will reach 31%. Starmie on the other hand with its base 115 Speed has a 22% chance of netting a CH (also remember, being Paralyzed or having your Speed lowered any amount or raised does not change the outcome of the percentage; it all relies on the base Speed of the Pokemon: CH%=Base Speed*100/512).

If your friends or whoever realizes how beastly Jolteon is once it gets a Sub up and uses Focus Energy, than it's ready to go. It can also carry Sand Attack, so be cautious (Sand Attack doesn't break evasion clause, if you guys are playing with that clause, that is). If your friends do read up on how to use the right sets for such Pokemon, than I suppose be prepared for anything. If it was me, and if I used Jolteon on my Stadium team, than the set would be: Substitute, Focus Energy, Body Slam, Thunderbolt.

~ Aether Nexus

Why wouldn't you use Double Kick on the Jolteon (to help deal with Chansey mainly, and maybe Tauros and Snorlax, though Tbolt might do more there, or maybe Rhydon/Golem get one decent critical hit in before the sub breaks)? I imagine my friends would use Pin Missile though, as its the "counter" to psychics. Also, i thought focus energy raised it more than 6% (I thought it was like 4 times for often).

On that note, is Jolteon considered a must-have for Stadium?

On another note, is there any good place where I can practice online? R2 Stadium just doesnt seem like enough, although the computers might better emulate the strategies of my friends

Why wouldn't you use Double Kick on the Jolteon (to help deal with Chansey mainly, and maybe Tauros and Snorlax, though Tbolt might do more there, or maybe Rhydon/Golem get one decent critical hit in before the sub breaks)? I imagine my friends would use Pin Missile though, as its the "counter" to psychics. Also, i thought focus energy raised it more than 6% (I thought it was like 4 times for often).

On that note, is Jolteon considered a must-have for Stadium?

On another note, is there any good place where I can practice online? R2 Stadium just doesnt seem like enough, although the computers might better emulate the strategies of my friends
I remember doing some damage calculations with another persons team when it came to Body Slam vs. Double Kick. Double Kick, if I remember correctly, is really only somewhat useful against Chansey due to it's low base Defense and being Super Effective, but it wont do that much damage because Jolteon has a low base Attack.

When I did the damage calculations for another user for their team, the results weren't that great. The 3 Pokemon that usually switch into Jolteon to absorb the blow are: Chansey, Golem, and Rhydon (and on rare occasions Dugtrio, Alakazam and Zapdos). Even if Double Kick is SE against Golem and Rhydon, it still didn't do as much as would expect. Not like enormous damage, just a slight scratch to them. I'd rather go with Body Slam because Chansey will get hurt not as much as using Double Kick but it's better against Golem and Rhydon switch-in's because you can net the 30% Paralysis when they switch in.

As for Pin Missile on Jolteon, that's just pointless, IMO. The only thing you'd be hitting with Pin Missile for somewhat reasonable damage would be the Psychi-type Pokemon, clearly. As Jolteons RBY analysis says, Pin Missile is really all about luck. Through the shoddy 80% accuracy of the move and only being able to hit your target 2-3 times max each time unless you get even luckier and hit 4-5 times, it's just something that it should avoid using. If you do get lucky at hit 5 times, Pin Missiles power only because 70, which is terrible as it's a Physical move and Jolteon has a very low 65 base Attack (298 max).

Having such a move on Jolteon means you want to deal with the likes of pesky Psychi-type Pokemon, like Alakazam, Jynx, and Exeggutor. Starmie and Slowbro don't need to be hit by Pin Missle because STAB + Super Effective Thunderbolt does a lot more damage, clearly. Pin Missile is a 3HKO on Alakazam (without Reflect and without CH'ing). If Jolteon does get lucky and hits 5 times with Pin Missile it becomes power 70, which deals (max): 146 non-crit, 282 crit, and 75 with Reflect up. Jynx takes: 163 non-critical, 315 critical, 83 with Reflect up. Exeggutor is really the only Pokemon I'd carry Pin Missile for because it's x4 weak to Bug-type attacks. Here are the damage calcs: 208 non-critical, 398 critical (OHKO), and 108 with Reflect up. But again, it's really all about luck, and I highly doubt anyone can score 5 hits in a row or too many times by using it.

Having Jolteon in Stadium is not really a must-have for Stadium, it is basically just a whole lot better in Stadium with it's movepool. Standard Jolteon isn't all that great in competitive play, hence why it's BL. It's really thanks to Golem and Rhydon who make Jolteon BL, because even if Jolteon used Substitute for some reason in a regular battle, sure as hell Golem or Rhydon is going to be switched into it and they surely use STAB EQ to take away the Sub. In return, Jolteon can't do anything to them because Electric-type moves wont work on them, Double Kick does little damage to them, Pin Missile wouldn't do all that much and Body Slam is its only option for the incoming Golem/Rhydon/switch-in.

Jolteon is one of those Pokemon you wish it could have 6 moves rather 4 in Stadium because you can't resist not putting Sub + Focus Energy on Jolteon in Stadium. Behind a Sub and with it's monstrous Special, decent offensive movepool, and pumping its Critical Hit ratio, than you can see why it's beastly. Whatever switches in on it is going to take quite the hit if you predict wrong. To your last question, best place to test out a team is on NetBattle Supremacy: http://pmnb.net/index.php?categoryid=9 I believe it works on Windows computers only. As for other previous battling simulators (in this case, generation 1 battle simulators) there is PBS, but the old PBS died and now there's the new PBS: http://porygon.math.miami.edu:7137/ And if you want something different, there is always trying out Schwa's battle simulator: http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50995

~ Aether Nexus

Personally I would go with Rhydon. You already have Gengar and Exeggutor with suicide moves and with a bit of prediction your opponent could easily make there sacrifice useless. Also, as you have already mentioned Rhydon packs a much harder punch and can also double as a physical tank (you already have Chansey as a special tank so don't need another one in the form of Snorlax).

Alakazam's purpose is a greatly inferior Chansey, which is what I said in my original post. Gotcha. I stand corrected then.

Vineon

Fleurdelysé
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
It is easier to spread paralysis with an alakazam than it is with a chansey.

The reason is alakazam will force switches with his numerous special falls. Timing twave on the switches is key. Hipmonlee also used kinesis for that same purpose.

But yeah, I'm not a big user of alakazam myself, I rather have an extra physical attacker take its spot.

Even though RBY is a special dominated meta, people fail to realize how few answers there are to true physical sweepers. A team of Dodrio, Chansey, Snorlax, Persian, Rhydon, and Tauros will catch many teams off-guard with their so called... balanced approach.

Even though RBY is a special dominated meta, people fail to realize how few answers there are to true physical sweepers. A team of Dodrio, Chansey, Snorlax, Persian, Rhydon, and Tauros will catch many teams off-guard with their so called... balanced approach.
True but wouldn,t it be easier to kill off chansey (in RBY special sweepers are special walls) the only true special wall in the whole game with say tauros and then plow opponents with alakazam, chansey, exeggcutor, toybro, etc.

There's no "true" physical wall in all of RBY.

Killing off Chansey is a tough task. And no one's going to just let you kill off Chansey with Tauros like that, with no repercussion.

Altmer

rid this world of human waste
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Tauros doesn't want to stay in on Chansey. It can't risk getting a para. It doesn't deal enough damage for it to be able to kill Chansey without getting severely compromised.

I said tauros just to post an example, i know tauros can´t kill chansey without risking a paralyze. I was just saying taht with chansey out sp.sweepers can run rampart

I was just saying taht with chansey out sp.sweepers can run rampart
This discovery is new and exciting.

It's the process that matters, not the end result. If everything is paralyzed, leech seeded, spikes up, at 3% HP, etc, Beedrill goes wild. Getting to that stage is a different story.

UncleSam

Leading this village
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Rhydon is a monster in competetive RBY. Better attack and defense, the rest of your team can easily wall the attacks that kill it(surf, mega drain, etc.). Besides, you already have two normal types on your team, you don't need three.

The quantity of a type doesn't matter here. A normal type is as good as any, y'know, not having any real weaknesses and stuff.

A case could be made for Rhydon being a Normal resist though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)