_-~SPL AWARDS~-_

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK SO

A bunch of us were talking in #premier that it'd be cool to have end of season awards the way most professional sports leagues do. I think it'd be a little too much work to try to poll everyone in the league, and that campaigning and snowball voting would be a little too effective if we had open polls, so voting will probably be restricted to managers or a couple individuals from each team who are well-connected with SPL as a whole. Obviously people aren't going to be allowed to vote for their own team once we actually do this lol bias.

That said, there's a lot of potential awards we could do, so this topic is for suggesting potential awards we could vote for and discussing the general concept. A few joke nominations are OK but let's try to keep the drama at a dull roar here there's way too much of that in this tournament already.

Nominate ideas for awards. We probably won't need players nominated for the awards but feel free and point out people you think should win them, I'm sure whoever ends up voting will read the topic.

Update:
Synre said:
ok SO SPL Award voting lets make it happen

The voting pool is 21 people, with 2 voters from each team and an extra vote from LN. I would have included Mekkah as well but I'm pretty sure I may as well poll random people on the street at that point as they had similar levels of involvement.

Anyway, I picked the team manager and then the assistant manager who seemed most active of the two(or a player rather arbitrarily if no assistant existed or the assistant(s) was obviously inactive). If teams would like other people on their teams to use their two votes they can go ahead, just keep it to two votes per team.

Voter pool is currently:
Sharks: makiri, MoP
Ruiners: whistle, Earthworm
Scooters: Synre, evan
Wolfpack: Jackal, goofball
Tigers: tennisace, GoldenKnight
Brits: Kinneas, Tab
Bigs: Fabbles, CTI
Raiders: RBG, Aerrow
Classiest: Dubulous, Stallion
Cryonicles: Huntofthelion, bad ass
Commish: LonelyNess

If someone really wanted a category I didn't pick, let me know and we'll see what we can do, but basically I picked categories with these restrictions in mind:
1. Awards mean more if we can use the same awards year after, so I tried to pick stuff that will work every year. Stuff like rookie of the year that kind of sucks this year with SPL1 and SPL2 so close together will be better in the future.
2. I tried to stay positive with awards. There's a one negative one, but I don't think it's necessary to mock people with awards too much and winning should be good here. With the remaining negative award, people set themselves up so I don't feel too guilty. Definitely behavior we want to discourage.
3. Awards don't mean much if there is too many of them. We had lots of cool ideas, but if we vote on 35 awards who really gives a fuck about each one?
4. I tried to stick to categories general enough that most of our voter pool would actually be able to vote intelligently. Awards need to be based on something observable by everyone.

Voting Rules:
1. Vote for a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place option for each player, which will be tallied at the end on a 5/3/1 point scale.
2. Do not vote for your own players in any category. This removes some of the bias.
3. I'd like to have all votes in by April 30th at 11:59pm EST. It would be great if people could be faster than that so we can get this done, since I'm kind of lagging behind with the Smogon outage and then getting busy. Just PM me your votes ASAP.

Categories/Handy Voter fillout sheet:

Individual Awards

Most Valuable Player
Description: Awarded to the player most valuable to his team's success. This is subjective, but keep in mind things like record, how successful the player was when it counted, and the player's willingness to help their teams as important factors.
1st Place vote:
2nd Place vote:
3rd Place vote:

Best Value
Description: Awarded to the player who was most valuable relative to his salary. Think players like apologies last year who was like 6-1 or whatever for 3k.
1st Place vote:
2nd Place vote:
3rd Place vote:

The amazing reyscarface award
Description: The player who was the whiniest, most obnoxious competitor in SPL. Some subjectivity here, obviously, but I'd wager most of you have people in mind.
1st Place vote:
2nd Place vote:
3rd Place vote:

Rookie of the Year
Description: Awarded to the player who did not participate in SPL1 who was the biggest asset to his SPL2 team.
1st Place vote:
2nd Place vote:
3rd Place vote:

Team Awards

Biggest Surprise
Description: Awarded to team that surprised you by performing differently than you expected them to. Hopefully either a team you expected to be terrible that wound up being good or a good team that wound up being great, but possibly just a team that you expected to be good that was terrible instead.
1st Place vote:
2nd Place vote:
3rd Place vote:

Best Managed
Description: To be awarded to the management team you thought did the best job encompassing everything a manager has to do. Includes drafting and retaining, being clever about setting rosters, making smart trades throughout the season, and anything else you might attribute to management... (vote for teams on this one)
1st Place vote:
2nd Place vote:
3rd Place vote:

Best Sub/11th man
Description: Awarded to the player who started out the season benched or who was often not a starter that came through for his team when the team finally ended up playing him.
1st Place vote:
2nd Place vote:
3rd Place vote:

The All-SPL Team
Description: For this final award, simply fill out who you'd pick for each SPL metagame if you had everyone who played in the SPL available to play one game in each metagame and you absolutely had to win it. Judge based on how well you think players played in their respective metagames, not necessarily on their record, which we could just do objectively. Players must have played at least 3 games in the given metagame to be eligible. You still can't vote for your own players.

BW OU:
BW OU:
BW OU:
BW Ubers:
VGC 2011:
DP OU:
DP UU:
ADV:
GSC:
RBY:
Awards in this post: http://www.smogon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3523673&postcount=42

Scofield

Ooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhh, Kate.......
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Best sub/11th man (best player to play in half or less of the team's games)
All SPL team (top player per position)

Jackal

I'm not retarded I'm Canadian it's different
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Biggest Flop
Worst Value
Favourite LonelyNess Moment
Best Keeper
Worst Keeper
Clutch Performance

makiri

My vast and supreme will shall be done!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
- Best Managing Team

Is this also known as best manager?

- Lady Byng: A player adjudged to have exhibited the best type of sportsmanship and gentlemanly conduct combined with a high standard of playing ability

- reyscarface: the opposite

you have to put that you can't vote for your own shit but um.......

biggest upset team vs team
biggest upset player vs player

also an award just for me for being me too

I edited it while you were posting but yeah, it's the best manager equivalent, Paul. I wanted to word it in a way that indicated assistant managers count(ie last year alex's contributions would have counted toward my team for that award and evan's this year and the vote would be for the Scooters, rather than just for me), but instead just made it sound really convoluted.

something like most hilarious match... there were some pretty funny matches for various reasons... stuff like tv-rocka vs. carl or whatever it was in RBY, rey vs. snunch, lakers vs. whoever it was? vashta?, etc.

for controversy i am nominating the unsuccessful attempt to sell fm back after he went to rehab week 1

is all spl team like all-star team except end-season?

hahahaha include chaser's please. funny snunch quotes can be accessed via !snunch on irc

Begin Turn #15
Borat.'s Pikachu used Thunder!
(28% damage)
It's not very effective...
Mr.E's Sexeggutor fainted!

Dave

formerly Stone Cold
is a Tournament Directoris a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Championis a Five-Time Past WCoP Champion
something like most hilarious match... there were some pretty funny matches for various reasons... stuff like tv-rocka vs. carl or whatever it was in RBY, rey vs. snunch, lakers vs. whoever it was? vashta?, etc.

for controversy i am nominating the unsuccessful attempt to sell fm back after he went to rehab week 1

is all spl team like all-star team except end-season?

hahahaha include chaser's please. funny snunch quotes can be accessed via !snunch on irc

Your forgetting ALL DRAGON TEAM...SPAM OUTRAGE....Lady Bug lez get it

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
These are a bit subjective:

-"Best" pokemon team
- Most unique pokemon team
-"Best" battle
- Best team matchup / Worst team matchup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)