Gen 3 A 200 RMT

bugmaniacbob

Was fun while it lasted
is an Artist Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I recently traded one of my older GBA cartridges with a friend for his old Sapphire game, with which I was anxious to trade Pokémon on my Ruby game, and try to build a reasonably viable team on it.
However, when I looked through the boxes, the team was full of Ubers and the boxes were filled with a rag-tag assortment of half-evolved Pokémon. I decided to make the best of a bad job, and create a team with what little resources I had.

Here’s what I got:

Alakazam @ Macho Brace
Ability: Synchronise
Nature: Serious

PSYCHIC
TRICK
THUNDERPUNCH
FIRE PUNCH

EVs: 252 SAtk, 252 Spd, 4 HP

This is and all-out Special Sweeping Alakazam. Lead off, wreck as much of the team as possible and get out if possible, to do more damage later in the game. He doesn’t exactly help the team much, but he can deal reasonable damage if need be.
EDIT: Added in Trick to shut down opposing sweepers. I may add in Taunt to shut down walls.

Rhydon @ ------
Ability: Rock Head
Nature: Bashful

EARTHQUAKE
ROCK SLIDE
MEGAHORN
TAKE DOWN

EVs: 252 HP, 252 Atk, 4 Def

This is a bulky sweeper Rhydon. It can survive some unboosted hits and deal out some extra damage in turn. Although it is a lure for Grass and Water attacks, these are the perfect opportunities for Salamence and Gyarados to come in and wreck the shop.

Milotic @ Leftovers
Ability: Marvel Scale
Nature: Mild

SURF
ICE BEAM
RECOVER
TOXIC

EVs: 252 HP, 252 SDef, 4 SAtk

In lieu of Blissey, Snorlax or Regice (See Below) Claydol is my only real other option for a Special Wall. Still, it’s a decent option; a good amount of Sp. Def, resistances to a lot of physical attack types as well, and a chance to hit back with Ice Beam (for Dragons) and Toxic for other walls. Explosion is for a late-game surprise. No Earthquake for reasons stated below.
EDIT: Switched Claydol for Milotic

Skarmory @ ------
Ability: ------
Nature: ------

DRILL PECK
SPIKES
ROAR
REST

EVs: 252 HP, 252 Def, 4 Atk

Ah, at least I have one Standard option to work with. This is a fairly standard Skarmory, sets up hazards, pseudo-hazes, and activates Sleep Clause if necessary. Drill Peck is for a way out of sticky situations, and for some reassurance against a Taunt Nosepass.

Salamence @ ------
Ability: Intimidate
Nature: ------

DRAGON CLAW
FIRE BLAST
HYDRO PUMP
CRUNCH

EVs: 252 SAtk, 252 Spd, 4 HP

This is a rarely seen, special sweeping Salamence. This is usually the best way to make use of its STAB and has an advantage over Flygon in this aspect. Fire Blast deals with Steel-types, Hydro Pump deals with everything else.

Metagross @ ------
Ability: Clear Body
Nature: Relaxed

AGILITY
METEOR MASH
SLUDGE BOMB

PROTECT

EVs: 252 Atk, 252 Spd, 4 HP

This is a late game, DD Gyarados. Taunt shuts down many opposing walls and allows for a free Dragon Dance or two. Earthquake and Return are its only real physical options, so Gengar walls this set.

BRIEF NOTES
  • Many of you will have realised that this team is a somewhat less-than-standard team. I have not picked many of the better options deliberately.
  • I believe this style of play is referred to as 200 play. This team is strictly ingame and R/S, since I have not got any of the other Advance games (FR/LG/E).
  • As this team is still a work in progress, many spaces are not quite filled in. Please offer suggestions as appropriate.
  • The TM cabinet, when I got the game, is practically empty. It is almost a void now.
  • Regice is not an option since the one I found in the box was Calm with, as far as I could tell, good IVs; therefore I sent it to my Diamond game.
  • The reason Gyarados has Earthquake is because the one I found in the PC box had it. If you suggest I breed for a better one, take into account that I will lose Earthquake.
  • No Move Tutors, Event Pokemon, or Choice Band.
  • If you can help it, do not suggest Hidden Powers. I don't have the time to breed for them.
Thank You.

I'm not going to say anything about the inappropriate natures, because this is ingame but were you to put in on nb or something it should look more like: timid/adamant/relaxed/impish/modest/adamant, that is, assuming you stick with these pokemon and these sets.

Regice is one of the most used Pokemon in Standard 200 play--and your team is walled completely by it. The only pokemon it can't really switch into is Rhydon but "Lead off, wreck as much of the team as possible and get out if possible, to do more damage later in the game." doesn't really make sense since 9 times our of 10 your opponent will just switch in their Regice and you'll do nothing. Trickzam or possibly encore/sub zam seem like good leads in this zam's place.

I'd say another one of the more popular 200 pokemon is Milotic and, quite honestly, I can't see what you would do about it either. Specmence definitely is not a solution, what do you normally do about it?

bugmaniacbob

Was fun while it lasted
is an Artist Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Added Trick and Macho Brace (considering Taunt) to Alakazam.

Took out Claydol for Milotic.

Took out Gyarados for Metagross to help against Regice.

Considering Heracross in place of Rhydon.

Considering Starmie in place of Milotic.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)