ORAS RU A Bird and it's Monster

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Introduction
So before I really get into this I just got one thing to say: HI GUYS! Ok, with that out of the way, I know I'm really late doing this. However, that being said, I did want to share this team since I feel like it was the first one that really put Mega Pidgeot on the map. While this is an RMT, this is also going to be used as a way for me to announce that I'm not gone and don't plan on leaving any time soon. However, with new things going on in my life, I may have to give up a couple of things I do around here. But rest assured that playing RU and having a lot to do with RU / Twitter is not going to be one of the things I give up. While I'm still unsure of what I will back away from, I will cross that bridge soon. Anyway, back to the focus here. This is the first team I made when ORAS RU first started, and as many people remember, I took the time and effort to make a team for EVERY new Mega Evolution in ORAS RU when it first started. This team was designed to help Mega Pidgeot win the game with perfectly accurate Hurricanes through the use of hazard support and heavy offensive pressure while having a revenge killer on standby in case something like Jolteon or Mega Sceptile stood in the way of a Mega Pidgeot sweep late-game. It's not perfect, and it may not even be the best Mega Pidgeot team that people have shared since its ban a couple of weeks ago. but it's one I was really proud of and had a lot of fun using and it ended up getting me all the way to #6 on the ladder for a time before decay decided to be a complete jerk. Also, as a bit of a forewarning, I have not touched this team since I went on LoA for about a month, so all sets and moves are for the metagame as it was when I left. (Gligar was still in the tier and Reckless Emboar had yet to be released.)

Team Preview

Team in Detail

0 Misses (Pidgeot-Mega) (M) @ Pidgeotite
Ability: No Guard
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Heat Wave
- U-turn
- Roost

They call me 0 Misses. That's literally what Mega Pidgeot could say every time it came into battle. Every time it came in, the opponent just knew. The opponent knew that a Hurricane was probably coming and they couldn't do a damn thing to dodge it. While many people still preferred Moltres, I found Mega Pidgeot to be really useful on VoltTurn teams. With full hazard support, or even just Rocks and a single layer of Spikes, Mega Pidgeot was easily more annoying than Moltres could ever be thanks to never missing and always inflicting some damage. The difference? Mega Pidgeot didn't need a Choice Scarf to outspeed the musketeers, Sceptile, Serperior, and many others and it could just click Hurricane without having to fear a miss. Hurricane was the example of a spammable STAB move thanks to No Guard and a 30% confusion rate. Heat Wave backed up Hurricane with coverage on Steel-types like Registeel and Bronzong (Cobalion was 2HKOed by Hurricane anyway) and it also blew away Escavaliers. U-turn built up momentum and really allowed me to lead with Mega Pidgeot in many cases to get off an early Mega Evolution if I knew the boost in Speed would be vital later on (such as against the likes of Cobalion, Serperior, or Dugtrio) Roost allowed me to keep Mega Pidgeot in good health if I needed it multiple times throughout the match and helped to offset the fact that I lacked a way to control hazards. The EVs simply maximized Mega Pidgeot's sweeping potential.

Steel Justice (Cobalion) @ Leftovers
Ability: Justified
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 160 HP / 96 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Volt Switch
- Close Combat

Whenever I used a bulky offense or hyper offense team, odds are that I'm using Support Cobalion as my Stealth Rock user. This team was no different. Cobalion gave me a more reliable lead option for when Pidgeot's boost in Speed from Mega Evolution wasn't a very high priority. Cobalion allowed me to control the match early on against most other leads thanks to its combination of Taunt + Volt Switch. Stealth Rock was obviously important to mitigate the chances opposing Moltres had of coming in to wreak havoc as this team had a grand total of 0 safe switch-ins for it. Taunt was this team's most reliable way of keeping hazards from getting up early-game. Not only does this keep Mega Pidgeot from taking Stealth Rock damage (as well as the rest of the team) but it also allowed me to kind of pick my spot for when I brought in Accelgor for Spikes. Volt Switch allowed Cobalion to build momentum early-game once it stopped opposing leads and thanks to Volt Switch, Cobalion was able to pivot into the likes of Tyrantrum and Dragalge (kind of) to tank a hit and keep momentum by switching back out if a switch out was obvious. Close Combat rounded out the set by giving Cobalion some offensive presence if it could KO a target or if I just had no use for it anymore. The EVs maximize Speed and give Close Combat a little bit of power while also not neglecting Cobalion's great defensive typing and solid overall bulk.

Ninja SV (Accelgor) (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Spikes
- Encore
- Final Gambit
- Bug Buzz

Accelgor is such an amazing partner for Cobalion. The two work so well together thanks to Cobalion's ability to lead and prevent early hazards while also having Volt Switch to get Accelgor in on favorable match-ups. As for Accelgor itself, the moveset is pretty straightforward, thus leaving little for me to discuss on it. (well, except for the fact that it's a bug, so SilentVerse naturally loves it lol) Spikes is amazing for any offensive team, especially a team like this where 5 of the 6 Pokemon could gain switch advantage one way or another. Encore is perfect for creating more Spikes chances. Often times, I would set this up by having Cobalion Volt Switch on a Stealth Rock user that it's faster than, go to Accelgor before the Stealth Rock gets put up, and then Encore to get 2 free layers. Final Gambit is used for the simple reason of preventing a Rapid Spinner or Defogger from clearing the field of the Spikes Accelgor likely just put up. It's also a useful tool for getting rid of or severely crippling the most dangerous threat to the team, such as Serperior, Dragalge, or Moltres. Bug Buzz kept Accelgor from being complete Taunt bait and was a nice way of punishing a Serperior or Sceptile hoping to get a free chance to set up or Mega Evolve.

Pirouette (Meloetta) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psychic
- U-turn
- Trick

This actually started out as Specs Meloetta when I first made the team, but I soon discovered an issue with faster threats. The release of Contrary Serperior only made the change to Scarf Meloetta more gratifying since that gave me another way of revenge killing it (you were not walling that damn thing, trust me) Hyper Voice and Psychic provided solid STAB coverage and had their niche uses on top of that. Hyper Voice had better neutral coverage and could hit through Subs while Psychic had the ability to hit the likes of Cobalion, Amoonguss, and Ghost-types harder (or in the case of Ghost-types, hit them period) U-turn meant that I could lead with Scarf Meloetta if I didn't feel safe with Cobalion, didn't need to Mega Evolve Pidgeot early, or if I felt the opponent may lead with a Scarf user of their own. Trick gave Meloetta utility against more defensive teams since this let it cripple a wall that Pangoro may have had an issue with. The EVs are pretty basic for any special attacking Scarf user. Timid is easily better since it gave Scarf Meloetta a chance to win a Speed tie with Scarf Moltres, the single biggest threat to this team.

King Kong (Pangoro) (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Superpower
- Knock Off
- Ice Punch
- Parting Shot

If you ever say no to the panda, the panda will strike you down with no regrets. In all seriousness though, Pangoro was the powerhouse of this team. Between its STABs and Ice Punch, almost nothing could hope to be safe against it. Superpower and Knock Off were extremely easy to spam. Thanks to Scrappy, Superpower had no immunities and Knock Off's item removing effect meant that just about nothing felt very safe about coming in on a STAB move. Ice Punch was almost exclusively for Gligar (it was still RU when I was using this team) but it also got solid damage on Aromatisse. Parting Shot allowed Pangoro to keep a VoltTurn chain going if need be, but with the ability to drop Attack and Special Attack one stage, it also provided me with an opening for Slurpuff or Mega Pidgeot if the time was right. Since Pangoro's typing isn't the best defensively in terms of resistances, I decided to maximize Attack and Speed. I kinda used Adamant just to have some extra power since Panda was the only true wallbreaker for this team, though I will admit Jolly was probably better overall.

Desert (Slurpuff) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Unburden
Happiness: 0
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
IVs: 0 SpA
- Belly Drum
- Play Rough
- Drain Punch
- Frustration

The team's final addition was Slurpuff. I couldn't really figure out what I wanted out of this last slot and just decided to throw an end-game sweeper on the team. Slurpuff only really came out after a Parting Shot or if I knew a Draco Meteor from a Specs Dragalge was imminent. Still, Dragalge was a big enough threat to justify this move imo. Anyhow, Slurpuff was basically the team's way of ending the game if Mega Pidgeot was too weak and Meloetta couldn't lock in on a STAB move due to resistances. Belly Drum maximized Slurpuff's Attack to actually give it the chance to sweep. Play Rough dealt with most adversaries, but the slight chance of missing caused me to use Frustration more often than not (in more ways than one LOL) Drain Punch was a nice move from ORAS tutors that gave Slurpuff a chance against stuff like Cobalion and Registeel.

Conclusion

So, that's it. This was a really fun team to used and while I am sad that I can't use it anymore due to Mega Pidgeot's ban, I'm glad I could share it with you guys and the ideas I got from it and experience it gave me should only help me build better teams. I will not be picking this team back up and using it (maybe bits and pieces though) so I'd rather not you guys suggest ways to mold it to fit the current meta / replace Mega Pidgeot. That, and Mega Pidgeot was kind of the inspiration for this team. This was basically my way of not only retiring this team, but also announcing that I'm not gone. So, once again, HI GUYS!​

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)