VGC A bugs life! Mega pinsir team!

Hey guys! How's it going, this is my first attempt at making a team around mega pinsir, i've tried to cover his weaknesses while trying to counter the top threats of the meta-game. Definetly a flawed team but thats why im here, i hope to better the team with helpful suggestions and criticism! Anywho onto the team:

@ pinsirite

Ability: Hypercutter/Aerilate

Evs: 252 Attk/252 Speed/4Hp

Jolly Nature

-Return

-Feint

-Protect

-Close Combat

Pinsir has been one of my long time favorite pokemon, now i know his typings super tricky but with his ability he packs quite the punch! Simple yet effective Ev spread with jolly nature to outspeed the likes of kangaskhan and such. Return/Feint both strong STABS and feint when used properly can really mess with the opponent. With enough damage on return to OHKO even bold ammonguss and even tangela. Protect of course staple in dbls and definetly close combat for kan and bisharps. Only thing that kinda bothers me is that its a 18.3% chance or something to OHKO the kangaskkhan.

@ Weakness Policy

Ability: Stance Change

Quiet Nature

Evs: 252 Hp/100 SpAttk/156 SpD

-Wide Guard

-Shadow Ball

-King's Shield

-Flash Cannon

Aegislash i believe is one of the most versatile pokemon around. Borrowed spread from razeovation, ev's meant to live alot of the damage going around more specifically a choice specs Hydreigon while activating its weakness policy and dishing back a ton of hurt. Aegislashes synergy with both pinsir and heatran is amazing because of its wide gaurd, it can defend from either earthquake or rock slides once landos lock themselves into it. Moveset is pretty standard hits what it needs to hit for supereffective dmg such as sylveons.

@ Choice Scarf

Ability: Intimidate

Evs: 252 Attk/252 Speed/4 Hp

Adament Nature

-Earthquake

-Rock Slide

-Superpower

-U-turn

A pretty standard lando set both in Ev's and moveset but it gets the job done. Covers pinsirs fire weakness by taking out enemy charizards and perhaps arcanines going around with rockslide/earthquake spam although EQ is a move i usually dont go into at the moment due to the team comp. Superpower a bit of extra help in taking out kangaskahn and bisharps. The intimidate always helps to ensure my pokemon dont get knocked out immediately. Also helps to cover Milotics and pinsirs electric weakness by being immune to it also another reason why he's here.

@ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
Evs: 252 Speed/ 252 Attk / 4 def
-Leaf Blade

-Close Combat

-Protect

-Stone Edge

Was suggested below

@ Leftovers

Ability: Competitive

Evs: 236 HP/156 Def/100 SpA/12 SpD/4 Spe

Bold Nature

-Scald

-Protect

-Ice Beam

-Icy Wind ( was recover )

Milotic has always been a pokemon ive wanted to use and now i finally get to! Adds another resistance to pinsirs fire weakness as well as compliments the team by being a threat to the genies. Scald to help spread burns on physical attacks, and combined with the Ev's and bold nature it can take quite a punch. Didn't really know which ev spread to give it so i borrowed this one from r.e.g.i.s mk-v. With the current ev investment that it has there isn't much that can OHKO my milotic. Although i'm somewhat unsure if i should replace ice beam for icy wind to have some type of speed control or just forgo it and go for brute force with ice beam. Also somewhat unsure of recover as i dont get much chances to use it and maybe replace it for something else? Maybe run ice beam/icy wind or safegaurd/mirror coat. Could use some input here.

@ shuca berry

Ability: Flash Fire

Evs: 52 HP / 252 Special Attack / 204 Speed ( was 252 speed/252 spattk/4 hp )

Modest Nature

-Heat Wave

-Protect

-Earth Power

-Flash Cannon

Looked through most of the fire types in the meta and came upon Heatran, not only does he pack a punch but he has the ability flash fire which is really useful. Garentees safe switch in's to pinsirs spot as well as aegislash to soak up those fire moves. Standard ev spread for max speed and special attack. Heat wave/Flash cannon both strong stabs that hit most of the meta pretty bidoof hard. Shuca berry to survive earthquakes and dish back at least 1 more turn. Wasn't sure what to fill the 4th slot with so for now i've put earth power there for a little more coverage.

Well thats the team guys! Took me quite a while to put together and have been practicing with it. I know its definetly flawed but thats why im here, let me have any and all criticism. Thanks in advance! i'm super interested to see how you guys think my team can improve

---------------------------------------------The Deceased-----------------------------------------

@ Sitrus Berry

Ability: Unaware

Evs: 244 HP / 164 Def / 28 Sp. Atk / 68 Sp. Def / 4 Spd

Bold Nature

-Follow Me

-Protect

-Moonblast

-Helping Hand

Last edited:

DaAwesomeDude1

waiting for a moment
is a Top Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
DPL Champion
Hey dude, really cool team. Love seeing new Megas BTW!! I'm going to go through each Pokemon individually and give you my opinions on them:
Pinsir: looks good
Aegislash: looks good
Landorus: looks fine
Milotic: I've never been too big on Recover on Milotic since it usually doesn't make too big of a difference anyways unless I'm running Life Orb. You really need a form of speed control since Tailwind offense teams can steamroll you so I suggest you replace Recover with Icy Wind. Yes I know that's double Ice moves but Milotic really has nothing better it can use lol and Ice Beam has utility in OHKOing Landorus as well as hitting things like Thundurus harder.
Clefable: I find Clefable to be the weakest link. The only thing it offers is redirection (which your team doesn't really need tbh) and Helping Hand support. While HH support is cool, its more of a luxury then a necessity IMO and what your team needs right now is the ability to hit Rotom-W hard since currently, it hard walls your entire team. That is why I suggest using Virizion over Clefable with the moves Close Combat, Leaf Blade, Stone Edge, and Protect with an EV spread of 252 Speed / 252 Attack / 4 Def Jolly Nature, Life Orb as the item. Virizion is your answer to Rotom-W and bulky Water-types in general. It also gives you a good check to Bisharp and Kanga while also being able to beat Landorus 1v1.
Heatran: I would change the EV spread to 52 HP / 252 Special Attack / 204 Speed with a Modest nature. Max/Max Heatran doesn't really outrun anything relevant and with 204 Speed, Heatran outruns Adamant Bisharp and can allow you to OHKO it with Heat Wave.

That's the best advice I can give you right now. I would watch out for Trick Room teams as from what I can see, you have trouble with it. Good luck with the team!!! :)

Hey dude, really cool team. Love seeing new Megas BTW!! I'm going to go through each Pokemon individually and give you my opinions on them:
Pinsir: looks good
Aegislash: looks good
Landorus: looks fine
Milotic: I've never been too big on Recover on Milotic since it usually doesn't make too big of a difference anyways unless I'm running Life Orb. You really need a form of speed control since Tailwind offense teams can steamroll you so I suggest you replace Recover with Icy Wind. Yes I know that's double Ice moves but Milotic really has nothing better it can use lol and Ice Beam has utility in OHKOing Landorus as well as hitting things like Thundurus harder.
Clefable: I find Clefable to be the weakest link. The only thing it offers is redirection (which your team doesn't really need tbh) and Helping Hand support. While HH support is cool, its more of a luxury then a necessity IMO and what your team needs right now is the ability to hit Rotom-W hard since currently, it hard walls your entire team. That is why I suggest using Virizion over Clefable with the moves Close Combat, Leaf Blade, Stone Edge, and Protect with an EV spread of 252 Speed / 252 Attack / 4 Def Jolly Nature, Life Orb as the item. Virizion is your answer to Rotom-W and bulky Water-types in general. It also gives you a good check to Bisharp and Kanga while also being able to beat Landorus 1v1.
Heatran: I would change the EV spread to 52 HP / 252 Special Attack / 204 Speed with a Modest nature. Max/Max Heatran doesn't really outrun anything relevant and with 204 Speed, Heatran outruns Adamant Bisharp and can allow you to OHKO it with Heat Wave.

That's the best advice I can give you right now. I would watch out for Trick Room teams as from what I can see, you have trouble with it. Good luck with the team!!! :)
First of all thanks for your input! Your not the first to suggest clefable just doesn't belong here lol friend of mine also told me he thought it doesnt quite click with the team. I have honestly had trouble facing rotoms, honestly prayed that the opponent didnt have one lol I've never considered Virizion before, not have i ever fought it, i definetly think it's an awesome mon it's just not too common a sight to see which makes me want to use it even more! Definetly seems like an amazing mon especially given todays meta. Thanks for the suggestion on that! :D

As for heatran i really wasn't sure if it needed a specific spread concerning its speed primarily so i just threw max on it. I can see now after revisiting the calculator that your right, gonna make the Ev adjustments.

As for trick room i do believe your right, i have aegislash to help out as he can function decently in a TR, not too much else, hard to counter the entire meta game right? :D

Again thank you for the suggestions! Definetly an improvement

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)