ORAS NU A Bull, a Rock and a Mexican

Hi everyone! This is my first RMT, so I'm new to the whole thing so I apologize in advance if I do anything wrong. I built this team to get COIL on the suspect which it helped me achieve with very good results only losing twice in total (1 to hax, 1 to a scrub). The team is based around bouffalant and hazard stacking which has proven effective.
Le Team:

Bouffalant @ Lum Berry
Ability: Sap Sipper
Happiness: 0
EVs: 88 HP / 252 Atk / 168 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Frustration
- Earthquake
- Megahorn
- Swords Dance

So this is the new set for bouff. It's still the mon I chose to build around with SD+3 attacks, I now run enough speed to outspeed malamar and also run megahorn, I also run frustration because stupid Ditto's annoy me. Earthquake is just good coverage to have although ghosts do hurt bouff a lot so pursuit over megahorn is viable. Lum berry is to stop mean pokemon from burning me and provides an extra move slot over substitute.
Dank Meme
Bouffalant @ Leftovers
EVs: 148 HP / 252 Atk / 48 Def / 60 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Earthquake
- Payback/Substitute
- Swords Dance

So this is the mon I wanted to build with, It's high attack and good bulk is very good in NU, it also has the great niches of being able to stop lilligant from setting up with sap sipper. The EV spread which I'm sure by now your questioning has it's reasons. 252+ Attack is simple as it gives bouff the max damage output, the speed is to outspeed weezing which can let me get of either a lot of damage on a full health weezing or kill it when weakened, the hp is for max leftovers and the defense is just extra ev's to take hits better. The movespread is simple, Return and EQ for coverage and SD to raise attack, I run payback to hit rotom which hard walls SD bouff :pirate:.

Mesprit @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- U-turn
- Signal Beam Energy Ball
- Thunderbolt

So I chose mesprit second because it works very well with bouff, it ohko's most fighting types that threaten bouff and also provides momentum that is very needed with this team, I chose a modest nature as it allows me to get a better damage output with all of it's coverage moves, Psychic was chosen over psyshock as this team does struggle with bulk up mons in the tier. Signal beam is for malamar; a huge threat in the tier which is very hard to stop without a bug move and thunderbolt is for mantine's that like to switch in on mesprit. Mesprit also comes in handy for revenge killing fast strong mons like zangoose and swellow. NEW: Energy ball has been put in over signal beam as I can deal with malamar now without mesprit.

Rhydon @ Eviolite
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 236 HP / 20 Atk / 240 SpD / 12 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Megahorn
- Stone Edge

So I took the suggestions of hollywood Montsegur and HJAD, then kind of mixed them together, I decided against running double dance rhydon as I just can't give up ludicolo for prinplup as HJAD suggested or this team just loses to rain (ironic eh?) So I made this spdef Rhydon which effectively does the same job as regirock as in getting rocks up, but rhydon can dish out more damage in return for taking a bit more as well. Rhydon also stops pesky mons like rotom, electivire and other things from freely volt switching as hollywood mentioned was a problem for my team. Megahorn is for malamar so I didn't need to give mesprit signal beam and in return could run energy ball. Also marilli since I gave up my mon with toxic, I decided to keep toxic spikes on garbodor

Regirock @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 240 HP / 252 SpD / 16 Spe
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Drain Punch
- Rock Tomb

Regirock is my main answer to typlosion as it can completely chew moves it wants to go for except for the very rare Specs Focus blast. I decided to run Almost max HP and Max spdef just to increase regirocks abilities as a brick wall (hehe get it?) I prefer toxic over thunder wave as it allows me to cripple pokemon that like to set up like Uxie and musharna which t-wave can not do as well. Stealth rock is obvious as it lets me hazard stack with Garbodor and well... it's the best move in the game right? Rock tomb is imo the better move over rock slide as it not only gets of damage but lowers the targets speed, so effectively a thunder wave. And drain punch is just to get HP as Regirock has no reliable healing move.

Ludicolo @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Surf/Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Rain Dance

Ludicolo is the mon on the team that enables me to defeat rain teams, because screw that, it has recently been used less due to samurott but I chose this mon because of it's niches of; Not getting 2HKO'd by special samurott which is a threat to this team, having stab giga drain, and being able to make it's self incredibly fast with self setting rain dance. Again I chose a modest nature over timid as it isn't very hard to get rain up with ludicolo due to it's great typing. The moveset is simple, only choice is surf/hydro pump, depends on whether your a hax god or not ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Garbodor @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 160 HP / 252 Def / 96 Spe
Impish Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Spikes
- Seed Bomb
- Toxic Spikes

Garbodor is arguably the best spike setter in NU right now, It's ability to easily get up at least 1 layer of spikes or t-spikes is amazing to this team, I chose seed bomb over drain punch as it lets me get a good amount of damage off on seismitoad and quagsire which is very helpful for this team as it lets bouffalant sweep easier. The 96 speed allows garbodor to outspeed base 55 max speed adamant/modest mons by one point which is extremely helpful for hitting things or laying spikes against Cacturne/Golurk/Bouffalant. Rest of the EVs are just put into max defence and rest HP for increased bulk. I put a rocky helmet on garbodor to punish physical pokemon that dare challenge the trash!

Tauros (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Fire Blast

- Rock Climb
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
So I thought long and hard to if I wanted to swap Sawk with Tauros, and eventually I decided Tauros benefited the team more, fire blast is to hit ferroseed which is annoying to this team, and zen headbutt to hit fighting types which my team is kind of weak to, overall I decided Speed > Power. Edit: I run fire blast for ferroseed which walls a large proportion of my team unfortunately and the rest is just standard, Zen headbutt can also be changed with rock slide if you so wish. Tauros is just a good mon to have providing a strong hitter and something to speed tie with archeops

Sawk (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Thunder Punch

Threatlist

Physical samurott is a problem to this team, with megahorn, aqua jet and waterfall it's very threatning if it find the time to set up which isn't hard on mons like garbodor/regirock, before it's set up it's not as huge a problem after it has, my best bet is forcing a speed tie with ludicolo or using garbodor as death fodder to get rocky helmet + aftermath damage

Very similar to samurott, I have made my team very carefully to make sure klinklang can't set up a sub on any mons beside garbodor which can run drain punch if needed. With gear grind and return, yet again my best bet is forcing damage on it with garbodor

RIP MEGA CAMEL.

Shoutouts to xzern :d. Yet another case of, and I quote ''WHAT SWITCHES INTO THIS THING'', The best way to deal with this mon is using garbodor yet again to get damage off and then switching into regirock or mesprit which can revenge kill it.
I feel so sorry for garbodor ;-;

Importable
Bouffalant @ Leftovers
EVs: 148 HP / 252 Atk / 48 Def / 60 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Earthquake
- Payback
- Swords Dance

Mesprit @ Choice Scarf
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- U-turn
- Signal Beam
- Thunderbolt

Regirock @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 240 HP / 252 SpD / 16 Spe
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Drain Punch
- Rock Tomb

Ludicolo @ Life Orb
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Rain Dance

Garbodor @ Rocky Helmet
Impish Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Spikes
- Seed Bomb
- Toxic Spikes

Sawk (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Thunder Punch

Bouffalant @ Lum Berry
Happiness: 0
EVs: 88 HP / 252 Atk / 168 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Frustration
- Earthquake
- Megahorn
- Swords Dance

Mesprit @ Choice Scarf
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- U-turn
- Signal Beam
- Thunderbolt

Rhydon @ Eviolite
EVs: 236 HP / 20 Atk / 240 SpD / 12 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Megahorn
- Stone Edge

Ludicolo @ Life Orb
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Rain Dance

Garbodor @ Rocky Helmet
Impish Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Spikes
- Seed Bomb
- Toxic Spikes

Tauros (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Fire Blast
- Rock Climb
- Zen Headbutt
- Earthquake

So thank you frens for reading this RMT, Again I apologize for any issues you may of spotted :] Also doing [ hide ] is apparently not working so apologies for that :pirate:

Last edited:

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hi Adaire, cool team. Regirock and Garbodor cover a lot of the tier on their own, so it really isn't too weak to much. The biggest problem I see is probably Golurk, which can come in for free on Regirock and, to a slightly lesser extent, Garbodor and Sawk locked into Close Combat, and then proceed to get a kill pretty much whenever it comes in. You can pivot around Choice Band sets because you have both a Ground and Ghost immunity, but Rock Polish sets in particular look pretty terrifying and even Stealth Rock sets can be troublesome because the only Pokemon that can outright threaten it are Ludicolo and Sawk, the latter of which becomes predictable when brought in against Golurk.

I don't think the team needs massive adjustments to account for Golurk, just more ways to respond to it. I'd probably replace Signal Beam on Mesprit with Energy Ball for this purpose. Malamar isn't a huge problem to your team because you have Choice Band Sawk, and if you're still worried about it, you can replace Payback on Bouffalant for Megahorn, which still does loads to most common Ghost-types (+2 does ~80 to Mismagius and ~70 to Rotom). You can't really afford to cut Thunderbolt on Mesprit because Mantine looks really annoying for your team.

I might even replace Sawk for something faster on this team. With SD Bouffalant, your team really shouldn't struggle against fatter, slower teams, which Sawk is at its best against. Something like Tauros might just work better, but it's hard to say without testing. If you do try Tauros, I'd recommend running Fire Blast for Ferroseed, as Sawk is currently the best way for your team to break it (Bouffalant can too, but they'll often just switch out against it, and it's really annoying for everything on your team but Bouff and Sawk). I recommend testing Tauros or something else faster that can break Ferroseed in Sawk's slot though because fast offensive Pokemon put a ton of pressure on Regirock, and your only offensive response to most of them is Scarf Mesprit, which is easy to take advantage of.

Good luck with the team. Looks solid!

suggested changes:
Mesprit: Signal Beam -> Energy Ball
Sawk: try Tauros instead

Deej Dy

Verified Ladder Scurb 乁( ◔ ౪◔)ㄏ
I would first suggest adding Lum berry to Bouffolant, as without sub as it is quite susceptible to will-o-wisp and other conditions. My second concern would be a ground type. I'm nitpicking a bit but the volt switch momentum vs your team could put you at a disadvantage as well. Perhaps consider Rhydon over Regirock (Garbo resists Hp grass anyway) to ensure this.
I agree on Hollywood's point of adding something over Sawk, perhaps speedy threats Sneasel, Tauros, and Kanghaskhan (which works great with T spikes)

Seems like a p solid team overall tho ;)

Hey Adaire!
Its nice to see you increase your forum awareness and this rmt really is a good one. Not only is the team solid, but it's played out in a really likeable manor, meaning for not only an easy read, but a good one too. So really good props on that.
Onto the team, and I feel like all the really small niggly changes have been addressed by hollywood and Deej Dy so I'm going to give you a far bigger change to maybe the structure of the team, which you can try out and find whether you like it or not.

Change 1: No Hazards Control:
Yeah, you might have had this feeling in a game where an opponent keeps stacking hazards and you have absolutely no idea how to get rid of them, especially when they are stacked on your side. What I'm going to suggest is Lord Defensive Prinplup > Rain God Ludicolo. What this means for you is a lost win-condition in exchange for hazard control, but I plan to rectify this change with another that will come soon.

As a result, regirock kinda looks redundant, so now you can afford to run another win condition. Now, Deej, mentioned you have no way of preventing momentum moves like volt switch, so I'm going to suggest Dual Dance Rhydon > Regirock. DD Rhydon is probably one of the best win conditions in the metagame at this juncture, since its high power coupled with SD and RP means it can effectively sweep teams if you give it a few turns to settup, it also acts as your main source of checking Mega Audino when Garbodor goes down as well as assorted psychics like Musharna when they try to settup calm minds. It also synergizes really well with bouff, as they break each others checks for the late game.

These changes are just optional, as I said before, Hollywood and deej have already identified the most noticeable flaws, but I do feel hazards control is a huge part of the meta, and without it, you kinda have difficulty vs hazard stack teams, which are on the rave.

GL Rain King, hope to see you testing soon!

Prinplup @ Eviolite
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Defog
- Toxic
- Scald

Rhydon @ Eviolite
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rock Polish
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

~HJAD
Aka former rain king

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Just a quick comment Adaire on what to give up on Rhydon if you run a specially defensive variant. You can run Megahorn on Rhydon to destroy Malamar with as even at +2 you still 2HKO. You can then give up Signal Beam on Mesprit for Healing Wish.

Run Banded Quagsire > Sawk to counter Samurott and Klinklang y/n

Actually your SD rott problem is not a major issue as Mesprit revenges it and Ludicolo at least speed ties with it (also most run Bulky spread I think which makes things even easier). However Klingklang is major disturbance as it can easily run through this team. Obviously if you don't have something to check a boosted sweeper, a better way to do it would be limiting its chance to set up. So I think you should run Drain Punch > Seed Bomb on Garbodor. Also be careful locking your choiced mons into moves Klingklang can set up on for.eg. Psychic

Like Hollywood said, this team struggles against offensive team full of hard hitters and Mesprit is easily exploitable. So I'd recommend Thunder Wave > Toxic on Regirock. Sure toxic wears down the obvious ground switchins, but this team really loves Thunder wave support. eg. Ludicolo, Sawk and Bouffalant.

The team also looks weak to CM Psychics in my eyes like Musharna and Uxie. You've said that you rely on Knock off from sturdy Sawk to deal with them which is pretty unreliable as you have no hazard removal. I think you should try Sub Endeavor Pyroar in place of Sawk. It provides you with much needed speed and deals with those bulky boosters with Endeavor. It also hits bulky steels like Sawk did. eg. ferroseed. Also dual normal core is fun :toast:

Pyroar @ Flame Plate
Ability: Unnerve
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Hyper Voice
- Substitute
- Endeavor
Thunder wave > Toxic on Regirock
Drain Punch > Seed Bomb on Garbodor

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
Hi, cool team! Ludicolo + Garbodor has been a cool core since dawn of NU and it works pretty well here too. Most people's made the big suggestions already, but I'll try to point out the ones that sound like it's gonna get a lot of benefit for you for little change.

First I would suggest Lum Berry on Bouffalant over Lefties if you're going SD + 3 attacks without the protection of Substitute, as Deej pointed out above. I'm surprised no one else brought this up, but I'm just questioning the random 48 Def EVs unless it really serves a specific purpose because most of the time Bouff's gonna be eating up a special hit ("any 1 hit" most of the time) because your core of Regirock / Garbodor handles most physical threats with raw stats and chip damage, not to mention, its main switch in opportunities are vs. Grass-types. In its stead, I would aim to put more speed on Bouffalant. Your current speed is pretty slow and will leave you outsped by most opposing bouffalants, not to mention you want to outspeed the very walls u want to break with Bouffalant. 84 EVs outspeed Pelipper, -Spe Seismitoad, etc. at the very least, but even creeping further is completely acceptable (and encouraged)

I feel you don't take advantage of Toxic Spikes all that much, you might want to try Toxic Spikes -> Drain Punch on Garbodor instead of replacing Seed bomb for it, because Klinklang is a pain but Seed Bomb is a pretty good move to have on Garbodor too for reasons, such as hitting (rather likely) Golurk switches, and so forth. With another faster threat over Sawk like others suggested, Tspikes may actually come relevant, in which case you might wanna keep Tspikes over Seed Bomb.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)