BW NU a cat is fine too

watashi

is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
World Defender
Introduction

As you can see this is not your standard Neverused team, and in no way does it play like one. It is based on setting up hazards with either Lopunny's Copycat or Ditto and phazing the opponent with priority Assist from Liepard, which can only select Whirlwind due to it's mechanics coupled with the move selections of this team. This idea has already been explored in this team and was popularized recently by Molk.

In Depth

Liepard @

Trait: Prankster
EVs: 4 Def | 252 SAtk | 252 Spd
Timid Nature
  • Assist
  • Substitute
  • Nasty Plot
  • Dark Pulse

Assist is obviously the centerpeice of this team and shuffles the opponent for thirty-two turns, but it can do more than just that. Since Assist can't pick moves known by the user, Liepard is able to function as a set up sweeper which can find a lot of chances to set up since due to it's ability to phaze out potential fodders. Sometimes I won't even try to set up hazards if the opponent has something like Musharna because Liepard has the potential to set up three Nasty Plots on it.

Ditto @

Trait: Imposter
EVs: 248 HP
  • Transform
In a match Ditto will usually be aggresively switching into the opponent's Stealth Rock setter to ensure hazards go up, but it is also a really useful Pokemon in general in case Liepard doesn't get the job done. Most of the late-game cleaning is done by Ditto and it can also be used to take out a troublesome Pokemon such as Kangaskhan or Swellow, or Toxic Alomomola which can be a pain for this team to face.

Lopunny @

Trait: Klutz
EVs: 252 HP | 4 Def | 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
  • Switcheroo
  • Copycat
  • Mirror Coat
  • Protect
Probably the most useful filler Pokemon on this team and performs a varitey of tasks such as removing Leftovers recovery from opposing Pokemon and setting up hazards with Copycat. Mirror Coat can be used to nab some surprise kills since Lopunny is pretty hard to OHKO with a special attack not named Focus Blast.

Shiftry @

Trait: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 Atk | 4 Def | 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
  • Whirlwind
  • Nature Power
  • Thief
  • Sleep Talk
Shiftry is the Whirlwind user of the team and can also smack something hard with Ground Gem Nature Power. After that, it can steal the opponent's item with Thief, which hits frail Pokemon surprisingly hard with maximum investement.

Arbok @

Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP | 4 Def | 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
  • Switcheroo
  • Dragon Tail
  • Protect
  • Snatch
Arbok's main role is to absorb Toxic Spikes which will completely ruin this team otherwise. Like Lopunny, it can also remove Leftovers recovery from opposing Pokemon, which is something that sets it apart from other Poison-types.

Drifblim @

Trait: Aftermath
EVs: 176 Def | 80 SDef | 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
  • Trick
  • Destiny Bond
  • Thief
  • Protect
Drifblim's role is to act as an additional win condition for the team along with Ditto. Trick and Destiny Bond will almost always ensure that the opponent's Pokemon will go down. Drifblim also acts as a spin blocker in case the opponent tries to spin away the team's hard-earned hazards. I used to have Haunter here but this thing gets Aftermath which means it can disrupt the opponent even more.

Conclusion

Although this team is hilariously effective, there are some Pokemon which can severely hinder it. First of all, if the opponent realizes the team's strategy, they can double switch to a powerful attacker such as Samurott or Sawk on the turn that Ditto comes in and prevent Stealth Rocks from being set up. However, that can be mitigated by simply predicting their switch and setting up with Liepard or crippling them with something else. Regenerators such as Alomomola are also very annoying to face, but they will usually fall to either a boosted Dark Pulse from Liepard or be worn down by Black Sludge or Flame Orb. Cradily and other Pokemon that cannot be phazed out are troublesome, but like Renegenerators, they are relatively weak and can be taken out by another tactic that the team has. Overall, most teams are suspectable to Assist phazing if you play correctly and think out your moves. Keep in mind that there are generally two ways for this team to win; shuffling and sweeping with Liepard.

I'm willing to take any suggestions for Pokemon replacements as long as they still fulfill the required roles on this team. Don't try to cover any defensive weaknesses that this team has because it doesn't need to defend.

Lopunny @ Flame Orb
Trait: Klutz
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Switcheroo
- Copycat
- Circle Throw
- Protect

Shiftry @ Ground Gem
Trait: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Whirlwind
- Nature Power
- Thief
- Mimic

Liepard @ Leftovers
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Assist
- Substitute
- Nasty Plot
- Dark Pulse

Ditto @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Imposter
EVs: 248 HP
- Transform

Arbok @ Black Sludge
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Switcheroo
- Dragon Tail
- Protect
- Snatch

Drifblim @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Aftermath
EVs: 176 Def / 252 Spd / 80 SDef
Jolly Nature
- Trick
- Destiny Bond
- Thief
- Protect

Last edited:

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
The most hilarious way to beat Liepard is with another Liepard (as is always the case), particularly one with Substitute, U-Turn and Foul Play. Time for my revenge...

Last edited:
Hey FLCL, I tried this team out earlier tonight on the NU ladder, and I have to say that it is one of the most evil, diabolical concoctions ever spawned from the mind of mortal man. The only thing I might change is Circle Throw > Mirror Coat on Lopunny since I used Mirror Coat successfully maybe once, while I found my self wishing I had Circle Throw several times. Besides that, this is such a disgustingly effective gimmick, lol.

Oh, and I think I'll just drop this off here, too. It's probably the most painful match I've ever done on the ladder since...well, I'll just let you watch and find out for yourself.

http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/nu-52752466

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
So I refuse to acknowledge that mah boy Riolu has been totally outclassed by this cheap-ass pussy. If something's doing Riolu's job better, Riolu's only response is to team up with Liepard and troll the hell out of the ladder.

Riolu @
EVs: 252 HP | 252 Def | 4 SpD
Impish Nature
  • Roar
  • Copycat
  • Protect
  • Counter
Now don't think of this as a second win condition (though it totally can be). Think of this as a lure for Kangaskhan. Protect on the Fake Out, then Counter the Double-Edge for an almost guaranteed OHKO, though Liepard can easily clean up afterward. In the event you do try to phaze with this thing, I think between Shiftry and Arbok, opposing priority should prove to be of little trouble. This could go over Lopunny if you so wish, I'd keep Shiftry because Nature Power owns Magic Coat Bastiodon.
I think Arbok would appreciate a more defensive spread tbh: it's fast enough for the walls it Switcheroos, and Intimidate means it's taking priority aimed at your team much better (and also prevents my custom Liepard from doing shit :( )

Yes, I'm promoting this deadly as f**k strategy for the sake of my boy Riolu. Don't judge, onlookers.

If you're so paranoid, just use sr only and have at least 3 of your team resist rock and has leftovers(not weak to dark too)

For maximum efficiency, make sure all your mons can break Liepard's sub with a single hit

In short, use Bulky Offence

Easy win, only the frail Liepard will give you trouble, but after that, it's gg

If you're so paranoid, just use sr only and have at least 3 of your team resist rock and has leftovers(not weak to dark too)

For maximum efficiency, make sure all your mons can break Liepard's sub with a single hit

In short, use Bulky Offence

Easy win, only the frail Liepard will give you trouble, but after that, it's gg
^ That seems a bit like centralizing the metagame... Just sayin'.

At higher tiers, their poor stats can be exploited, assuming the enemy knows this strategy, it won't be very hard, especially in Ubers where the ubiquity of Espeed and Deoxys-S who is faster than Liepard and can Taunt when you switch, Magic Coat too, sure you can outpredict, but it doesn't always work.

And there are some other things too which makes this harder to pull at higher tiers(especially OU and up), like Ferrotress(ehem Forretress), who is a popular hazard setter and always carries Rapid Spin, Donphan is also somewhere along the lines. You must also remember Liepard is too weak to sweep unless your opponent is stupid to let Liepard set up. There are even more, but I don't have to tell everything, and besides, I'm sure you know what else hinders this strategy gimmick to be effective at higher tiers.

This strategy is only effective up to RU and it might still work at UU.

Wait, wait, wait wait, wait, wait, wait, I was wrong at Ubers, this strategy works very well at Ubers, thanks to many Uber guys... Uber noobs lol(see Charizard/other starter users).

EDIT: The starters except Speed Boost Blaziken and Chlorophyll Venusaur. lol xD

Last edited:
Hey FLCL, I tried this team out earlier tonight on the NU ladder, and I have to say that it is one of the most evil, diabolical concoctions ever spawned from the mind of mortal man. The only thing I might change is Circle Throw > Mirror Coat on Lopunny since I used Mirror Coat successfully maybe once, while I found my self wishing I had Circle Throw several times. Besides that, this is such a disgustingly effective gimmick, lol.

Oh, and I think I'll just drop this off here, too. It's probably the most painful match I've ever done on the ladder since...well, I'll just let you watch and find out for yourself.

http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/nu-52752466
Okay, spoiler warning for those who haven't seen the replay mentioned above yet. You may ask why I'm giving a spoiler warning to a Pokemon Showdown battle but the battle defies all conventional logic to the extent that it I deem a spoiler necessary.

Who decides the featured replays on Pokemon Showdown? 151 turns of pure ridiculousness, but what sets this apart from most other matches of this sort is the fact that there was no collusion between the battlers to achieve the masterpiece that unfolded. It just shows what happens to a team which is required to copy the opponent's moves as a fundamental part of the strategy (ie entry hazards, which are on every half-decent team) when that team is matched against itself. The result - neither can really land a meaningful blow on the other, and the match revolves as much around maintaining PP rather than actually dealing damage, which makes the thought processes and decision-making criteria completely different to normal.

I know this isn't a proper rate, but the above match made my day so kudos to the team's creator.

Gdi fooly so many cradily's and my team actually struggles with them a bit. (it might get in the top 20 bcuz of you >:C)

I gave it a try without any prior knowledge of the NU metagame and I have to say I've never felt more sorry for the opponent for using a team...

Hello, I use Liepard in all tiers (NU, RU, UU, OU and Ubers). In Ou is controlable, in Ubers exists Extremekiller, Deoxys-S Magic coat, etc. but is usable.

My team :

http://www.pokexperto.net/foros/index.php?topic=41234.0

I suggest this ev spread to liepard:

Annoyer (Liepard) (F) @ Leftovers
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 44 Def / 212 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Substitute
- Nasty Plot
- Dark Pulse
- Assist

With 44 evs in defense, Foul Play never broke this SUB.

This thing is more Broken in NU and RU.

http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ru-54973092

http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ru-54970856

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)