A Day at the Beach (Sun vs Sand UU Warstory)

A Day at the Beach...

Welcome to my lair, do not touch my radio! Erm.. I mean, greetings Smogon, and welcome to my first warstory. +2 bonus points if you know what I was referencing in the first line. ;D When I first stumbled upon this site a few years back, I mean before I even had an account and was just a lurker, my favourite posts were always the warstories. Well, fast forward to the present day, where I figure after about nine months of being a member, I'm finally going to go ahead and post a warstory myself. I think the main reason that I haven't has been that I haven't had a really good battle (nobody ragequits, minimal hax, good predictions, etc) in which I've remembered to save the log! *facepalm* This finally changed last Saturday night (or early Sunday morning I suppose, this battle took place around 3 am) when I decided to try my hand at UU.
Normally I play DW OU on the Beta server because I really loathe team preview, but Vulpix is already banned in UU there, so I said 'what the hell' and took this team to the Smogon server for some Wifi action. I must say, while I don't like team preview, I really did enjoy the much tougher competition. ;D
This team isn't all that original, it's a Drought team with Victini on it, Bet you've never seen that before. But since I'm just getting into UU, whatever. I'll build a more original team as time passes. I guess now that Drought is banned, I don't really have a choice. In this battle, I ended up facing a Sandstorm team, so it was weather vs weather. I forgot to ask my opponent's permission to post this, so all instances of his name will be replaced with Mr. Y. No, that has nothing to do with his/her screen name, I just closed my eyes and hit a random button the keyboard.
Eww that was the most long-winded intro ever... uhhh my bad. >_<
Anyway, my comments will be in blue italics. After each turn I will post percentages, my Pokémon will be in green while my opponent's will be in red. Nicknames will be reomved. I'm keeping the weather notifications in, because there a lot of weather changing going on. Erm, I think that's everything, so hopefully you'll enjoy this!

Battle between Juice! and Mr. Y started!

Tier:
BW UU
Variation:
+59, -20
Rule:
Rated
Rule:
Sleep Clause
Rule:
Species Clause
Rule:
Wifi Battle

Here are the teams:

vs

Mr. Y sent out Hippopotas!
Juice! sent out Hitmontop!
The foe's Hippopotas's Sand Stream whipped up a sandstorm

Start of turn 1

Hitmontop used Fake Out!
The foe's Hippopotas lost 15% of its health!
Hitmontop is hurt by its Life Orb!

The foe's Hippopotas flinched!

The sandstorm rages!
Hitmontop is buffeted by the sandstorm!

Hitmontop: 83.75% // Hippopotas: 85%

Team preview told me that I'd be up against another weather team, so I switched my lead from Vulpix to Hitmontop. Hippo is slower than Vulpix, so Sand Stream would have cancelled out Drought anyway, so I may as well start off with something that has Fake Out. Unfortunately, Hippo's decent defense stat coupled with Eviolite means that Hitmontop took more damage from Life Orb recoil and the sandstorm than he actually dealt. Hitmontop has a set of Fake Out/Mach Punch/Bullet Punch/Rapid Spin, since I usually use him more for revenge killing or spinning than for leading. I decide to go for the Mach Punch, figuring one of two things. Either A) he sets up rocks which I can't do anything about this turn, so I may as well deal some damage, or B) he switches to Dusknoir on the predicted Fighting attack, in which case I have a nice plan in mind.

Start of turn 2
vs
>>>

Mr. Y called Hippopotas back!
Mr. Y sent out Dusknoir!

The foe's Dusknoir is exerting its Pressure!
Hitmontop used Mach Punch!
It had no effect!

The sandstorm rages!
The foe's Dusknoir is buffeted by the sandstorm!
The foe's Dusknoir restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

Hitmontop: 77.5% // Dusknoir: 100%

Despite the fact that my Hitmontop took more sandstorm damage while basically doing nothing, this is actually a great spot for me, and what I was hoping my opponent would do. If you recall last turn, I said I had a plan in mind, should he bring out Dusknoir. I am 99.9% certain that my opponent is going to go for the fairly standard play and try to burn my Hitmontop with Will-o-Wisp, which would effectively make it useless outside of Rapid Spin. However, this gives me a free switch-in for Vulpix to change to weather in my favour. From this point, I can fire off a status move, either Toxic or a Will-o-Wisp of my own, in order to cripple one of my opponent's Pokémon. I have a feeling that his Dusknoir is going to annoy me all day, so putting it on a clock with Toxic is definitely my current plan.

Start of turn 3
>>>
vs

Juice! called Hitmontop back!
Juice! sent out Vulpix!

Vulpix's Drought intensified the sun's rays!
The foe's Dusknoir used Will-O-Wisp!
But it failed!

The sunlight is strong!

Hitmontop: 77.5%, Vulpix: 100% // Dusknoir: 100%

I've got a pocket, got a pocket full of sunshine! Quite literally, I might add. So far, so good, everything is going according to plan. I got Vulpix in for free, and now I get to fire off a Toxic at Dusknoir, or whatever takes his place. If he happens to switch in his Chansey, I will Protect to see which status move it uses, and then switch accordingly. If Lairon comes in, I can just switch to Tangrowth and set up, as I can't imagine it can to much to Tangrowth. If it's anything else, then I will have managed to badly poison a nasty threat. Toxic away!

Start of turn 4
vs
>>>

Mr. Y called Dusknoir back!
Mr. Y sent out Deoxys-D!

The foe's Deoxys-D is exerting its Pressure!
Vulpix used Toxic!
The foe's Deoxys-D was poisoned!

The sunlight is strong!
The foe's Deoxys-D is hurt by poison!

Vulpix: 100% // Dusknoir: 100%, Deoxys-D: 93.75% (Badly Poisoned)

Well, I didn't get Dusknoir, but that Deoxys-D sure isn't going to enjoy being Toxic'd. I haven't faced too many Deoxys-D, but from what I know it usually runs something like Magic Coat/Spikes/Recover/Night Shade or Toxic. Weak little Vulpix isn't going to do any damage to this defensive juggernaut even with a sun-boosted Flamethrower, and it's already been poisoned, so there's no sense staying in. I decided at this point to switch to Sawsbuck. Doesn't care about Magic Coat or if a layer of Spikes is set up on the switch, and the part Normal typing gives it an immunity to Night Shade. Switching in on Toxic (if he has it) would suck, but nothing on my team wants to be badly poisoned, and if worse comes to worse, Sawsbuck can regain health via Horn Leech. If Deoxys-D does NOT have Toxic, then it will be forced to switch, allowing me a free turn to set up a Swords Dance.

Start of turn 5
>>>
vs

Juice! called Vulpix back!
Juice! sent out Sawsbuck-Autumn! (This looks ugly, the word 'Autumn' will be removed from here on).

The foe's Deoxys-D used Spikes!
Spikes were scattered all around the feet of Juice!'s team!

The sunlight is strong!
The foe's Deoxys-D restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

Vulpix: 100%, Sawsbuck: 100%
// Deoxys-D: 87.5% (Badly Poisoned)

That worked out perfectly, and Sawsbuck gets in without taking a scratch. I'm not too worried about the one layer of Spikes, as Hitmontop can come in later and spin that away, should it start proving to be a problem. At this point, I really don't feel like Deoxys-D has a status move, and therefore can't do anything to Sawsbuck, so I feel a switch is coming. Most likely back to Dusknoir, as if Sawsbuck is running Jump Kick (which mine does), it has a super-effective attack against everything else on my opponent's team. Dusknoir can also threaten to annoy my deer with an unpleasant burn. I'm still going to Swords Dance on the switch, however. Even if Dusknoir comes in, and wants to try to burn me, it's going to have to eat a +2, STAB, Life Orbed Horn Leech first, which should knock off a large chunk of its health.

Start of turn 6
vs
>>>

Mr. Y called Deoxys-D back!
Mr. Y sent out Dusknoir!

The foe's Dusknoir is exerting its Pressure!
Sawsbuck used Swords Dance!
Sawsbuck's Attack sharply rose!

The sunlight is strong!

Sawsbuck: 100% (+2 Atk) // Deoxys-D: 87.5% (Badly Poisoned), Dusknoir: 100%

Unfortunately, Dusknoir came back out to play, as I figured it might. I've basically got two options here. I can either switch out to one of my two Fire types (which in hindsight, switching to Victini was probably correct here) or I can stay in and pound Dusknoir as hard as I can before it burns me. I think if it hadn't been 3 am, I would have seen that after Dusknoir is gone, Sawsbuck sweeps my opponent's whole team, and would have switched, but at the time, my thought process was 'HORN LEECH WILL HURT IT A LOT. DIE GHOST.' I figured hey, maybe Will-o-Wisp might miss (it always misses when I use it anyway, aha) and even if it doesn't, at +2, Horn Leech is still a 2HKO on Dusknoir, even from a burned Sawsbuck.

Start of turn 7
vs

Sawsbuck used Horn Leech!
The foe's Dusknoir lost 75% of its health!
The foe's Dusknoir had its energy drained!
Sawsbuck is hurt by its Life Orb!

The foe's Dusknoir used Will-O-Wisp!
Sawsbuck was burned!

The sunlight is strong!
Sawsbuck is hurt by its burn!
The foe's Dusknoir restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

Sawsbuck: 77.5% (+2 Atk, Burned) // Dusknoir: 31.25%

Ok, damage assessment time after my lapse in judgement last turn. My main physical sweeper is burned, which is bad. That damn Dusknoir is one Horn Leech away from becoming a ghost. Er.. wait a sec.. you know what I mean. If my opponent doesn't switch, it dies. I flirted with the idea of switching, but a burned Sawsbuck isn't exactly going to win me the game later if I save it. I may as well try to deal as much damage as I can before Sawsbuck collapses from a combination of that nasty burn and its Life Orb. Sawsbuck only has one attack that can damage Dusknoir, so it's Horn Leech time, baby!

Start of turn 8
vs

The foe's Dusknoir lost 31% of its health!
The foe's Dusknoir had its energy drained!
The foe's Dusknoir fainted!

The sunlight is strong!

Mr. K sent out Hippopotas!

The foe's Hippopotas's Sand Stream whipped up a sandstorm!

Sawsbuck: 55% (+2 Atk, Burned) // Dusknoir: 0%

SCORE: Juice! leads 6-5

I almost got out of my chair and did a little dance now that the Will-o-Wisping beast was out of the picture. Eliminating it has just about cost me my Sawsbuck though, and with sand back up, it's already short life just got even shorter. Unless my opponent has gone completely mad, I doubt the hippo is staying in against the deer. Unless... that's what he wants me to think. Man, I hate when I overthink things. Whatever, I'll just Horn Leech, at least it will heal me back some health from whatever I hit.

Start of turn 9
vs
>>>

Mr. Y sent out Deoxys-D!

The foe's Deoxys-D is exerting its Pressure!
The foe's Deoxys-D lost 29% of its health!
The foe's Deoxys-D had its energy drained!

The sandstorm rages!
Sawsbuck is buffeted by the sandstorm!
The foe's Deoxys-D is buffeted by the sandstorm!

Sawsbuck: ~60% (+2 Atk, Burned) // Hippopotas: 85%, Deoxys-D: 52.25% (Badly Poisoned)

Aaaand Deoxys-D comes back in to mock the poor, dying deer's feeble attempt to crack its hefty defenses. Even at +2, this once mighty deer can only manage 29% on Deoxys-D, thanks to that awful burn. At this point, I'm thinking my opponent will probably use Recover to heal up, since Deoxys-D is hovering around the 50% mark, and that Toxic damage is going to start hurting if it stays in much longer. Instead of just firing off a weak attack to just watch him heal it off, I figure I may as well grab a second Swords Dance, to really dish out as much damage as possible before the deer goes down. If he uses Recover, there's nothing I could do about it to begin with.

Start of turn 10
vs

Sawsbuck used Swords Dance!
Sawsbuck's Attack sharply rose!

The foe's Deoxys-D used Seismic Toss!
Sawsbuck lost 100 HP! (33% of its health)

The sandstorm rages!
The foe's Deoxys-D is buffeted by the sandstorm!

Sawsbuck: ~8% (+4 Atk, Burned) // Deoxys-D: 39.75% (Badly Poisoned)

Well that was a slap in the face. I didn't even know Deoxys got Seismic Toss (seriously, go to veekun.com and look, it's just not there!) and due to not double-checking things like that, my Sawsbuck only has one attack left in him. I really doubt that my opponent plans to switch at this point, but I go for the Horn Leech juuuust in case he switches to something with lots fo tasty HP for my deer to steal to try and live one turn longer. However, I'm fairly certain that the buck stops here. Aha.

Start of turn 11
vs

The foe's Deoxys-D lost 39% of its health!
The foe's Deoxys-D had its energy drained!
The foe's Deoxys-D fainted!

The sandstorm rages!

Sawsbuck fainted!
Mr. Y sent out Stoutland!

Hitmontop is hurt by spikes!

Sawsbuck: 0% // Deoxys-D: 0%

SCORE: Juice! leads 5-4

Sawsbuck goes down with one last valiant attack, taking the creature from outer space along with it. It's going to be a double switch, and now that Dusknoir is gone, not only is Hitmontop free to use Rapid Spin, my opponent has nothing to tank Fighting hits, which three of his four remaining Pokémon are weak to. Not to mention Fake Out means I get a free shot on whatever he sends out, which happened to be Stoutland. I see no reason why I would switch out here when I can maim the dog with a nice Fake Out + Mach Punch priority combo, bypassing his Sand Rush ability.

Start of turn 12
vs
>>>

Mr. Y called Stoutland back!

Hitmontop used Fake Out!
The foe's Hippopotas lost 15% of its health!

The sandstorm rages!

Hitmontop: 48.75% // Stoutland: 100%, Hippopotas: 70%

Good play by my opponent here, he realized right away that Stoutland had no business staying in on TechniTop, and switched to something that didn't mind eating the Fake Out. By this point, I figure he also must be pretty certain I don't have Close Combat on my Hitmontop (or I would have used it on turn 2 instead of Mach Punch), meaning that his Hippopotas probably ins't in any immediate danger in this situation. However, on the flipside, the little hippo doesn't pose any real threat to my fighting top at this point unless it packs Toxic, which I've personally found to be uncommon. With Dusknoir out of the way, and Hitmontop not being in danger of being KOed by Earthquake (barring a crit), I figure this may be my best chance to spin away the Spikes before they do any real harm to my team. My opponent's three other Pokémon are all weak to Fighting, so I don't even have to worry about giving him a free switch to something, as Earthquake is his only real option here.

Start of turn 13
vs

Hitmontop used Rapid Spin!
The foe's Hippopotas lost 7% of its health!
Hitmontop blew away Spikes!

The foe's Hippopotas used Earthquake!
Hitmontop lost 87 HP! (28% of its health)

The sandstorm rages!

Hitmontop: 4.5% // Hippopotas: 63%

Hitmontop easily took the Earthquake, but the combination of Earthquake, Life Orb recoil, and the sandstorm has weakened it to the point that it will die at the end of next turn from the weather, even if my opponent doesn't attack. Now that the Spikes are gone, I could theoretically switch Hitmontop out to use as death fodder later, or even revenge kill something with Fake Out or Mach Punch before it's killed by Life Orb recoil. With my spinner about to die, this would be the ideal time for my opponent to set up Stealth Rock if he's got it, and if he doesn't, I can't see a reason he'd do anything but fire off another Earthquake. This means that as much as I want the sun back, switching to Vulpix now is too risky. Victini is also weak to Earthquake, and therefore out of the question. This leaves one of my two remaining Chlorophyll sweepers: Tangrowth or Lilligant. Despite Tangrowth's naturally high defense, I'm going for Lilligant. Without the sun, Growth only gives Tangrowth +1 to its attacking stats, not +2. It's also slow as shit without Chlorophyll activated. Lilligant however can boost its speed with Quiver Dance, so the lack of the Chlorophyll boost is less noticable. Lilligant also packs Sleep Powder, and has Leftovers to negate the sandstorm damage. My Lilligant is bulkier than the standard one, opting to forgo maximum speed in order to stick some EVs in defense, specifically for situations like this: switching into physical attacks, especially resisted ones like Earthquake. To those wondering, I don't miss the speed EVs at all, Chlorophyll and Quiver Dance more than make up for it.

Start of turn 14
>>>
vs

Juice! called Hitmontop back!
Juice! sent out Lilligant!

It's not very effective...
Lilligant lost 51 HP! (18% of its health)

The sandstorm rages!
Lilligant is buffeted by the sandstorm!
Lilligant restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

Hitmontop: 4.5%, Lilligant: 82% // Hippopotas: 63%

Nice, Lilligant manages to get in relatively unharmed, only taking 18% from the Earthquake. Now there's obviously no way that my opponent will keep Hippopotas in against Lilligant, as Giga Drain poses a huge threat to it. I'm predicting he's going to switch in Chansey. It will shrug off m special attacks, and it doesn't care about Sleep Powder thanks to Natural Cure. At this point a little lightbulb goes off in my head. I'm going to use Sleep Powder, which will probably sleep his Chansey. At this point, whether or not he switches, I will have bought myself a free turn unless I get really unlucky with a one-turm sleep. I can use this turn to safely bring Vulpix in and switch the weather back to sun. From there I can either fire off a status move with Vulpix, or switch to one of my sweepers and attempt to set up. Alright Sleep Powder, let's hope that your 75% accuracy is on my side!

Start of turn 15
vs
>>>

Mr. Y sent out Chansey!

Lilligant used Sleep Powder!
The foe's Chansey fell asleep!

The sandstorm rages!
The foe's Chansey is buffeted by the sandstorm!

Lilligant: 82% // Hippopotas: 63%, Chansey: 93.75% (Asleep)

There isn't too much to say here, switching to Chansey was my opponent's only option, staying in with the risk of Giga Drain just wasn't worth it. Chansey will either stay in and attempt to wake up, or switch out to wake itself up. I flirted with the thought of keeping Lilligant in and trying to set up, but even if Chansey switches out, it'd simply come right back in. My original plan was to use this opportunity to change the weather back in my favour, so I'm just going to go with that. Once Vulpix is in, I will assess the situation and react accordinly.

Start of turn 16
>>>
vs
>>>

Juice! called Lilligant back!
Juice! sent out Vulpix!

Fox's Drought intensified the sun's rays!
Mr. Y called Chansey back!

The sunlight is strong!

Lilligant: 82%, Vulpix: 100% // Chansey: 93.75%, Stoutland: 100%

Ok, so we've both switched. My opponent decided to go for Soutland to try to deal some damage, hoping to get it in for free on a Quiver Dance. Luckily I switched to Vulpix, meaning no Sand Rush for Stoutland at the time being. Just like my unorthodox Lilligant set, I also run defense EVs on Vulpix. Max HP, with defenses split, a little heavier on the special side, since Vulpix actually has a decent special defense stat. My Vulpix is still at 100%, so I'm beginning to wonder if the combination of those defense EVs, Eviolite, and being at full health, could I live through a Return and nail Stoutland with Will-o-Wisp? I generally don't run calcs during battles, especially since this isn't a tournament, and I don't have a super high rating to preserve. I'm decided to go for it. Something in my gut was telling me that there's just no way it's going to deal 100%. After I burn Stoutland, I'll just switch out to something else to preserve my Vulpix.

Start of turn 17
vs

The foe's Stoutland used Frustration!
Vulpix lost 213 HP! (76% of its health)
The foe's Stoutland is hurt by its Life Orb!

Vulpix used Will-O-Wisp!
The foe's Stoutland was burned!

The sunlight is strong!
The foe's Stoutland is hurt by its burn!

Vulpix: 24% // Stoutland: 77.5% (Burned)

Somebody call 9-1-1, Stoutland's fire burnin' on the dance floor, woooahh. Awful jokes aside, everything went perfectly this turn. Vulpix managed to eat the Frustration with roughly a quarter of it's health left, and severely cripple Stoutland with Will-o-Wisp in the process. Having its attack cut in half will seriously diminish its sweeping potential, and make it that much easier for either of my Chlorophyll sweepers to switch into it. Obviously Vulpix needs to get the hell out of Dodge, as it will need to reset the weather at least once more this battle, since my opponent still has Hippopotas left. Now seems like a good time to bring Tangrowth in. It's got naturally high defense, and will get a whopping +2 attack and +2 special attack after just one Growth, and will be ready to cause some serious damage. Plan of action: 1) Switch to Tangrowth, 2) Use Growth, 3) Profit.

Start of turn 18
>>>
vs

Vulpix is being sent back!
The foe's Stoutland used Pursuit!
Vulpix lost 59 HP! (21% of its health)

Juice! sent out Tangrowth!

The sunlight is strong!

Mr. Y: argh

Vulpix: 3%, Tangrowth: 100% // Stoutland: 55% (Burned)

Holy shit, he has Pursuit. At that point it hit me just how lucky I was that I had those defense EVs, and that Will-o-Wisp did not miss last turn, or I would have lost my weather-changer. Vulpix manages to escape by a hair, or I guess by a tail you could say, hanging on with only 3% health. Now more than ever am I glad that I spun those Spikes when I did, otherwise Vulpix would die from Spikes before it gets to change the weather when it comes back in later. My opponent also seems unhappy with Vulpix getting out of that one alive, and reasonably so. Not much else to do here except get a free Growth as my opponent switches to what I can only assume will be Chansey. Again, this is where my inexperience shows, as the correct play was to take the free turn to switch in Victini so I could smash something in the face with a sun-boosted V-create on the following turn. On the plus side, at least I'm catching my mistakes myself, before they're pointed out, so that means I'm learning. ;D

Start of turn 19
vs
>>>

Mr. Y called Stoutland back!
Mr. Y sent out Chansey!

Tangrowth used Growth!
Tangrowth's Attack sharply rose!
Tangrowth's Sp. Att. sharply rose!

The sunlight is strong!

Tangrowth: 100% (+2 Atk, +2 SpA) // Stoutland: 55% (Burned), Chansey: 93.75%

In comes Chansey as I kick myself for not going to Victini. Now of course it's too late, as the last thing I want is to switch my Scarfed Victini into a Thunder Wave. If Tangrowth gets paralyzed, it sucks, but it's not the end of the world, since it's not in any danger of being OHKOed by anything my opponent has left. Eviolite Chansey is a bitch to take down, so much HP, and bulk and ugh, I hate it, and they had to make it cute, so you feel bad hating it. >_< At least I run Mixed Tangrowth (as opposed to fully special), with Giga Drain, HP Fire, and Earthquake as attacking options. I may as well go balls out here and go for another Growth. If I recall correctly, at +4 attack, Tangrowth will deal over 50% to Eviolite Chansey with Earthquake, meaning it will be forced to either Softboiled, switch, or die. At that point, I can go for the third Growth, after which point Chansey should be taking around 70% or so from an Earthquake I think, and his other Pokémon are all certainly OHKOed.

Start of turn 20

Tangrowth used Growth!

The foe's Chansey used Wish!

The sunlight is strong!

Tangrowth: 100% (+4 Atk, +4 SpA) // Chansey: 93.75%

And Chansey has Wish over Softboiled. Wooonderful. Now it gets to status me next turn risk free, as it's just going to heal up with Wish after. Getting in a third Growth now was probably the correct play, thus making Chansey waste its Wish on healing less than 10%. However, I decided to go ahead and use Earthquake for two reasons. First, if that Wish was intended to be passed to Hippopotas or Stoutland, I wanted to try to take them out before the received the Wish. Second, if my opponent didn't switch, I'd find out exactly how much +4 Earthquakes were going to do to Chansey, and also which status move Chansey carries. If he switches, I'm still in the advantageous position, as nothing he has left wants to take on +4 Tangrowth, and if he stays in, my Tangrowth gets paralyzed in exchange for learning some valuable information.

Start of turn 21

Tangrowth used Earthquake!
The foe's Chansey lost 57% of its health!
Tangrowth is hurt by its Life Orb!

The foe's Chansey used Toxic!
Tangrowth was poisoned!

Chansey's wish came true!
The sunlight is strong!
Tangrowth is hurt by poison!

Tangrowth: 83.75% (+4 Atk, +4 SpA, Badly Poisoned) // Chansey: 86.75%

So he's got Toxic. I know I've only seen two of its moves, but I guess it's a Wish/Protect/Seismic Toss/Toxic Chansey as nothing else would really make much sense. Now my Tangrowth is badly poisoned, which is definitely going to cut its sweep drastically short. if there's one thing I'm going to take away from this battle, it's that I play too recklessly with my sweepers, allowing them to become statused far too often. At this point, I'm assuming Chansey is going to make another Wish, so I'll get that third Growth now. If Tangrowth is going down, it's going to deal as much damage as possible before that happens. I've definitely got to step my game up if I want to win this, though.

Start of turn 22

Tangrowth used Growth!

The foe's Chansey used Seismic Toss!
Tangrowth lost 100 HP! (29% of its health)

The sunlight is strong!

Tangrowth: 42.25% (+6 Atk, +6 SpA, Badly Poisoned) // Chansey: 86.75%

Fml, if I had used Earthquake, I would have taken out Chansey. I never would have figured my opponent to risk his Chansey like that in this spot by attacking. There's not much else here I can do besides attack, I don't want to give my opponent a free turn, and I'm at +6, so Earthquake should do a ton, and then Tangrowth will go down. From there I'm going to send in Victini to either shit all over something with a sun-boosted V-create, or U-turn to something else if I feel that to be a better choice.

Start of turn 23

Tangrowth used Earthquake!
The foe's Chansey lost 75% of its health!
Tangrowth is hurt by its Life Orb!

Tangrowth lost 100 HP! (29% of its health)

The sunlight is strong!

Tangrowth fainted!
Mr. Y: oh that was dumb
Mr. Y: of me
Juice! sent out Victini!

Tangrowth: 0% // Chansey: 11.75%

SCORE: Match tied 4-4

Tangrowth went down, but Chansey has been heavily damaged. I think the correct play for my opponent would have been to use Protect that turn (to make me take poison damage), then use Wish the next, then Protect again. I think they realized it too by their comment, but hey, they've been playing real well the whole time, I've probably made more mistakes this battle than they have. As it stands, they've just taken down the second of my three Chlorophyll sweepers, tying the match. Like I said earlier, Victini is coming out now. I'm going to U-turn, just in case he switches. If he switches, I'll make sure the match-up is still in my favour, and if he stays in, I'm pretty sure U-turn can take out Chansey at such low health, and then I get Lilligant in for free to sleep something and then begin setting up.

Start of turn 24
>>>
vs
>>>

Victini used U-turn!
The foe's Hippopotas lost 12% of its health!
Juice! called Victini back!
Juice! sent out Vulpix!

The sunlight is strong!

Victini: 100%, Vulpix: 3% // Chansey: 11.75%, Hippopotas: 51%

That turn couldn't have gone better, short of my opponent leaving Chansey in to be KOed. My opponent switched in his Hippopotas to change the weather back in his favour. However, since I U-turned, I simply brought Vulpix in to change it right back. I'm not going to keep Vulpix in, as I have the feeling that he's going to switch to Chansey, to keep his hippo alive. I'm going to go to Lilligant, and then fire off a Sleep Powder, which will then give me a free turn to do whatever, either set up or switch. Go go Lilligant!

Start of turn 25
>>>
vs

Juice! sent out Lilligant!

It's not very effective...
Lilligant lost 49 HP! (17% of its health)

The sunlight is strong!

Vulpix: 3%, Lilligant: 71.25% // Hippopotas: 51%

Lilligant comes in and easily shrugs off the Earthquake. I know my opponent will switch, so I'm going to fire off a Sleep Powder to nail the switch-in. From there, I plan to start boosting with Quiver Dance and set-up a Lilligant sweep.

Start of turn 26
vs
>>>

Mr. Y sent out Chansey!

The attack of Lilligant missed!

The sunlight is strong!

Lilligant: 77.5% // Hippopotas: 51%, Chansey: 11.75%

Well, that was an unfortunate bit of hax. But them's the breaks when using a 75% accurate move. Chansey gets in for free, and at least Lilligant gets an extra turn of Leftovers. Nothing much else to do but use Sleep Powder again before Chansey can make a Wish.

Start of turn 27
vs
>>>

The attack of Lilligant missed!

The sandstorm rages!

Lilligant: 77.5% // Chansey: 11.75%, Hippopotas: 51%

Obviously Sleep Powder misses for a second fucking time in a row, welcome to my life. My opponent makes a good prediction, figuring I'm going to try to sleep something again, and brings his hippo back in to change the weather back to sand. I don't want to switch, however, as both Vulpix and Hitmontop will die to Earthquake, and Victini doesn't need to take an unnecessary damage at this point. It's not like Hippopotas can actually do anything to Lilligant anyway. I may as well try for another Sleep Powder (third time's the charm, right? :P) and then boost up with Quiver Dance. Leftovers is negating the Sandstorm damage, and the only thing on my opponent's team that outspeeds Lilligant (even without Chlorophyll) is Stoutland thanks to Sand Rush.

Start of turn 28
vs
>>>

But it failed!

The sandstorm rages!

Lilligant: 77.5% // Hippopotas: 51%, Stoutland: 42.5% (Burned)

Speaking of Stoutland, here he is. Even though it will certainly outspeed Lilligant, I'm not worried at all. Not only is it burned, but like I mentioned earlier, I've opted against running max speed on Lilligant, in favour of some defense EVs for extra bulk. I'm not worried about any attack Stoutland may launce, so I'm going to go ahead and use this turn to grab a Quiver Dance boost, then take out Stoutland next turn with Giga Drain. After that, I can sleep something and go balls out with Quiver Dance boosts.

Start of turn 29
vs

The foe's Stoutland used Ice Fang!
It's super effective!
Lilligant lost 98 HP! (34% of its health)

Lilligant used Quiver Dance!
Lilligant's Sp. Att. rose!
Lilligant's Sp. Def. rose!
Lilligant's Speed rose!

The sandstorm rages!

Lilligant: 43.5% (+1 SpA, +1 SpD, +1 Spe) // Stoutland: 20% (Burned)

Thanks to those defense EVs and the burn, Lilligant takes a measly 34% from Ice Fang, and boosts up to +1. Meanwhile Stoutland loses 22.5% from a combination of burn and Life Orb. I thought about going for the second Quiver Dance, since Stoutland dies to residual damage at the end of the turn, but then I realized that Lilligant might die from Sandstorm before Leftovers can heal it, especially if my opponent uses Frustration which I think would actually be stronger than Ice Fang. So Giga Drain it is, to make sure I live another turn.

Start of turn 30

The foe's Stoutland used Frustration!
Lilligant lost 112 HP! (39% of its health)

Lilligant used Giga Drain!
The foe's Stoutland lost 10% of its health!
The foe's Stoutland had its energy drained!
The foe's Stoutland fainted!

The sandstorm rages!

Mr. Y sent out Lairon!

Lilligant: ~9.5% (+1 SpA, +1 SpD, +1 Spe) // Stoutland: 0%

SCORE: Juice! leads 4-3

The mighty dog finally falls after one last bout of Frustration. Lilligant just manages to hang on thanks to small bit of health syphoned from Stoutland. My opponent's Lairon enters the battlefield for the first time this match. I've never faced a Lairon before, but I figure it must be packing an Eviolite, otherwise there would be no point using it over Aggron, whihc is also UU-legal. Luckily even with Eviolite, Lairon's special bulk isn't all that great, so Lilligant should definitely be able to deal some damage to it, especially at +1. Lairon could either be packing Sturdy or Rock Head, both are excellent abilities.Either way, I'm not too worried, as I'm just going to go ahead and fire off a Sleep Powder, followed by a Giga Drain to gain back some health.

Start of turn 31
vs

The foe's Lairon fell asleep!

The foe's Lairon is fast asleep!

The sandstorm rages!

Lilligant: ~9.5% (+1 SpA, +1 SpD, +1 Spe) // Lairon: 100% (Asleep)

Phase one went according to plans. Now, my original plan was to Giga Drain back some health. I'm really tempted to Quiver Dance here, to get up to +2, but if my opponent were to get really lucky with a 1 turn sleep (which happens to me a fair amount), it would have been a wasted turn. I think I'll see how much Giga Drain does, and recover some health first. Depending on how much I heal back, I'll either Giga Drain once more next turn, or go for the set-up.

Start of turn 32
vs

The foe's Lairon lost 31% of its health!
The foe's Lairon had its energy drained!

The foe's Lairon is fast asleep!

The sandstorm rages!

Lilligant: ~25% (+1 SpA, +1 SpD, +1 Spe) // Lairon: 69% (Asleep)

Ouch, that did a lot less than I thought, as my +1 in special attack is cancelling out the +1 in special defense given by the Eviolite. This Lairon must be heavily EV'd in special defense, which I guess would make sense since it's already got natureally high physical defense. I also completely forgot to take into account the 50% special defense boost Lairon gets from the sandstorm. I'm still only at about a quarter health after that turn, which I don't think is enough to take a Head Smash. I'm going to go ahead and Giga Drain once more, and go from there.

Start of turn 33
vs

The foe's Lairon lost 27% of its health!
The foe's Lairon had its energy drained!

The foe's Lairon woke up!
The foe's Lairon used Head Smash!
Lilligant lost 116 HP! (41% of its health)
Lilligant fainted!

The sandstorm rages!

Lilligant: 0% // Lairon: 42%

SCORE: Match tied 3-3

Well that was fucking weak. Giga Drain low damage rolled, my opponent woke up after only two turns (really, couldn't sleep any longer after Sleep Powder had missed twice earlier? :P), and apparently Head Smash is a lot stronger than I had given it credit for. I really should start running calcs, although it didn't really matter as there's nothing else on my team I wanted to switch into that attack, assuming he woke up. Oh well, no use in complaining about what you can't control, and if that Lairon had slept one turn longer, this battle would have been much less interesting, as Lilligant would have been able to Giga Drain itself out of Rock Head's KO range and the match would be over. As it stands, all three of my Chlorophyll sweepers are pushing up daisies, and two of my Pokemon are under 10% health. It's said that Victini is supposed to bring victory to its trainer, and at this point it has become very clear to me that Victini is my only chance at winning this match. A plan is starting to develop in my head, but in order for it to work, I'm going to have to change the weather back to sun. However, simply sending out Vulpix won't work as Lairon will just KO it, and Hippopotas can come back in. I'm going to send out Hitmontop, and Mach Punch something, sacrificing it to Life Orb recoil, which gives Vulpix a free switch-in. Mach Punch should take out Lairon at this point, same with Chansey. This means my opponent is forced to send his hippo back in as it's the only thing that can live through the attack. After Hippopotas eats the Mach Punch, it SHOULD be at low enough health that Vulpix can take it out with Flamethrower. If I pull this off, I will have won the weather war.

Start of turn 34
vs
>>>

Mr. Y called Lairon back!

Hitmontop used Mach Punch!
The foe's Hippopotas lost 19% of its health!
Hitmontop fainted!

The sandstorm rages!
Juice! sent out Vulpix!

Hitmontop: 0% // Lairon: 42%, Hippopotas: 31%

SCORE: Mr. Y leads 3-2

Remember earlier on in the warstory when I mentioned that Hitmontop only had one attack left thanks to Life Orb, and I was going to save it until I could really make it count? Well there ya go, folks. I saved that last Mach Punch until the endgame, and because I did, Hippopotas is now in the KO range for my Vulpix's Flamethrower. A few people have asked why I'm not running Fire Blast, as Vulpix is painfull weak and generally needs all the power it can get. This is the reason. If I had Fire Blast, and it were to miss here, the results could be disasterous. Vulpix isn't meant to attack, but when it does, it NEEDS to hit. Also, since Vulpix hasn't used anything besides a status move yet, my opponent doesn't know that I don't have Fire Blast, and therefore probably won't switch in Chansey. AT its current health, I think that Chansey can live a Flamethrower, but Fire Blast might KO it. Here we go, so long Hippopotas, weather is mine! >;D

Start of turn 35
vs

Vulpix used Flamethrower!
The foe's Hippopotas lost 31% of its health!
The foe's Hippopotas fainted!

The sunlight is strong!
Mr. Y sent out Chansey!

Vulpix: 3% // Hippopotas: 0%

SCORE: Match tied 2-2

Ceeeeelebraaaate good times, come on! My cute little Vulpix, barely hanging on at 3% health manages to nab the KO on its arch enemy, Hippopotas. The weather will remeain sunny for the rest of the match, which I think is my key to victory. After Vulpix goes down, my Scarfed Victini can just spam sun-boosted V-creates to take the match. The Choice Scarf will negate the first speed drop, and Chansey and Lairon aren't exactly winning any marathons. However, I'm still worried that Flamethrower can't do enough to Chansey to KO it, meaning it can make a Wish, and use Protect back to heal itself back up to a health amount while Vulpix fails to do anything. I thought about Toxic, but if I Toxic, he'll just switch out his Chansey and give the Wish to Lairon, curing Chansey of Poison in the process. I'm just going to cross my fingers that a sun-boosted Flamethrower does the trick.

Start of turn 36
vs

The foe's Chansey lost 8% of its health!

The sunlight is strong!

Vulpix: 3% // Chansey: 3.75

Wow, Vulpix is fucking weak. A STAB, sun-boosted Flamethrower only managed 8% on Chansey. At this point, I'm starting to regret my decision against Fire Blast, although I'm still not sure if it would have gotten the KO, since I'm obviously not running any special attack EVs on Vulpix. As it stands, there's nothing I can do about the upcoming Protect. I'm just going to use Flamethrower again on the off chance my opponent switches or doesn't Protect. Will-o-Wisp was probably the better choice just in case he switched, but as it stands it didn't matter at all.

Start of turn 37
vs

The foe's Chansey used Protect!
The foe's Chansey protected itself!

The foe's Chansey protected itself!

The sunlight is strong!

Vulpix: 3% // Chansey: 53.75%

Chansey heals back up to over 50% and there was nothing I could do about it. At this point, I decide it's my best bet to Toxic it, as Flamethrower is doing pitiful damage, so I may as well punish it for staying in to keep using Wish. I'm just trying to get Victini in without taking a hit at this point.

Start of turn 38
vs

Vulpix used Toxic!
The foe's Chansey was poisoned!

The sunlight is strong!
The foe's Chansey is hurt by poison!

Vulpix: 3% // Chansey: 47.5% (Badly Poisoned)

Vulpix lands a Toxic on Chansey, but not before it makes another Wish. I'm pretty sure Chansey is going to deal the finishing blow with Seismic Toss next turn, and then heal itself from Wish. I may as well tap it with Flamethrower one more time before Vulpix bites the dust.

Start of turn 39
vs

The foe's Chansey lost 8% of its health!

Vulpix lost 8 HP! (2% of its health)
Vulpix fainted!

The sunlight is strong!

Juice! sent out Victini!

Vulpix: 0% // Chansey: 77% (Badly Poisoned)

SCORE: Mr. Y leads 2-1

After a hard-fought battle, Vulpix finally goes down, but not before spreading status throughout my opponent's team, and delivering the fatal blow on my opponent's weather changer. Things are right down to the wire now. It's my Scarfed Victini up against my opponent's Chansey and Lairon. The commentary for the last few turns isn't going to be very deep. The Choice Scarf prevents me from switching attacks, so all I can do is spam V-create until I either lose or win. Regardless of the outcome, this was a great match, and my opponent played an excellent game and kept me on my toes the whole time. Good game, Mr. Y!

Start of turn 40
vs

Victini used V-create!
The foe's Chansey lost 73% of its health!
Victini's Speed fell!
Victini's Defense fell!
Victini's Sp. Def. fell!

The foe's Chansey used Toxic!
The attack of the foe's Chansey missed!

The sunlight is strong!

The foe's Chansey fainted!
Mr. Y sent out Lairon!

Victini: 100% // Chansey 0%

SCORE: Match tied 1-1

My opponent opts to try to badly poison my Victini with Toxic as opposed to outright attacking, but the attack misses. I don't like hax, but I feel at least a little redemption for those Sleep Powder misses. :P To be fair though, I don't feel that any of the misses this battle changed the outcome in any way, which is one of the reasons I chose to write this warstory. V-create deals enough damage to Chansey to put it into the death-by-poison range, and after many annoying Wishes, it's down for the count. My opponent sends in Lairon, his last Pokemon, as we prepare for what will undoubtedly be the final turn of the battle.

Start of turn 41
vs

Victini used V-create!
The foe's Lairon lost 41% of its health!
Victini's Speed fell!
Victini's Defense fell!
Victini's Sp. Def. fell!
The foe's Lairon fainted!

Juice! won the battle!
Juice!: Good game! ^_^
Mr. Y: gg
Juice!: gg

FINAL SCORE: Juice! wins 1-0

With one last burst of flames, Victini launches his final V-create, toppling Lairon and ending the battle. My opponent and I say our 'gg's and part ways, both probably looking back on the choices we made, and wondering if one small decision could have changed the outcome of this battle.

Props:
-My opponent for an excellent match
-Minimal hax, including ZERO critical hits...ZERO!!!
-Vulpix for poisoning two of his walls, and burning his main sweeper before everntually taking out his weather starter
-Hitmontop for spinning away Spikes that would have cost me the match
-Lairon for being both stronger AND bulkier than I thought
-Stoutland for being adorable
-All of you that took the time to read my first warstory!

Slops:
-Me, for making several beginner mistakes
-Deoxys-D for basically getting one layer of Spikes up then dying
-Sawsbuck and Tangela for letting their sweep get cut short by status
-Vulpix for not being able to KO Chansey at 11%
-Sleep Powder for apparently having 0% accuracy :P

MVP:

It was a close call, but in the end, these 2 tie for the top spot. Without Hitmontop to spin those Spikes, Vulpix never could have changed the weather as many times as it did. While Hitmontop may not have scored any KOs (Sawsbuck got 2, Lilligant got 1, Vulpix got 1, Victini got 2), it did clear entry hazards making a lot of those KOs possible, as well as helping Vulpix stay alive to spread as much status as it did. Vulpix on the other hand managed to poision Deoxys-D AND Chansey, burn Stoutland, and KO Hippopotas. Those are a lot of defensive giants that would have never gone down without the help of a little Pokemon that's not supposed to actually do anything except for change the weather.

Thank you everyone for reading this! Any feedback, constructive criticism, comments, etc always is appreciated!! Cheers!

That was really good. UU is always interesting, it was a great match, and your writing is nice to read. Good formatting too. For all the controversy surrounding weather, you can get some really exciting "protect the king" type matches out of it.

a fairy

I’ll be at PAX East! Will you?
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Community Leader
That was amazing. This is the best warstory I've read in a while. 100/10.

I hope to see more coming out of you in the future!

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Very nice. A solid battle with strong commentary and a battle against sand, which is lesser known in UU equals a strong warstory.

Other than Lilligant over Victreebel and Tangrowth being mixed, this is an exact replica of my team. Like, literally, same exact movesets, held items, everything...

Thanks everyone for your kind words, this took me about a week to write since I have so little free time. :P

Other than Lilligant over Victreebel and Tangrowth being mixed, this is an exact replica of my team. Like, literally, same exact movesets, held items, everything...
I actually got the idea to make a Drought team for UU after reading your RMT. Unfortunately a lot of these guys don't really have much room for diversity. I have a couple other different movesets on the team that you didn't see in the story (Brick Break on Victini and Protect on Vulpix comes to mind). I tried to make the team as different as I could, but it came out looking more like your team than I'd hoped. I hope you're not upset, I never intended to copy you. If you want I will take this story down though.

That was your FIRST warstory? By your commentary I would have thought you had written dozens before.

Excellent battle and warstory all around. 10/10. Keep up the great work! ^_^

Juice, this was incredible!
Not only is it UU (which I luv), but it was a non-boring weather war (which is quite rare).
I mean, you made some mistakes in the battle, but you pointed them out, and explained why they were bad and what would've been better, which practically erases them from my mind.

Your comments were in-depth, telling what you were going to do based on what has happened so far and why you thought certain things. Your formatting looks familiar, but it is superb nonetheless.
You get a 10/10 from me, easily, and I'm (normally) not easily impressed.

Just make sure you remember Eviloite Lairon (in Sand) next time :P. It's a monster in lower tiers, possessing 324/474/491 defenses, immunity to Sand and Toxic/Toxic Spikes, and an SR resistance. It does have shitty typing, though. But if only it got Recover...

This warstory... is the 8th wonder of the world. A well-played weather war.

Even if you underestimated Lairon's defenses, you managed to lead your team to victory. Your plan to keep your Vulpix alive until Hippopotas perishes was great. The "suspense lines" were naturally present in turn 33 when you pulled up that final plan.
No hax (even if Sleep Powder missed twice in a row) and you recognized your tiny mistakes (e.g. in turn 18, when you should've switched to Victini instead of Tangrowth).
Also excellent (here, they're REALLY excellent) comments and format.

Format: 10/10
Battle: 10/10
Commentary: 10/10
Overall: 10/10

Wow, this was a great warstory. The format was great, commentary was in-depth, and the battle was nearly hax-less and enjoyable. Overall, 10/10, great job, hope you write more in the future!

I actually got the idea to make a Drought team for UU after reading your RMT. Unfortunately a lot of these guys don't really have much room for diversity. I have a couple other different movesets on the team that you didn't see in the story (Brick Break on Victini and Protect on Vulpix comes to mind). I tried to make the team as different as I could, but it came out looking more like your team than I'd hoped. I hope you're not upset, I never intended to copy you. If you want I will take this story down though.
Nah, I'm not really upset. I was just surprised. No harm, no foul.

Luvdisc'd.

UU is allways fun to watch and weather wars is like playing chess... you have to know the value of each of your pokes.

Yay! my first post and the first warstory Ive ever read, gg man u think things through alot more than i do, im just starting to get into competitive battling now, got a whole bunch of pokemon lined up i white, think ill lurk some more stories and get some ideas, this was alot of fun to read

Setting the lol Sleep Powder hax and the beginner mistakes with your setup Pokes (which you figured out on your own; props for that), you made a great warstory.
Your thoughts were well said, trying to keep your most valuable Pokes the whole match. Luvdisc'd.

Awesome warstory.

I lack knowledge about UU, what's the purpose of Lairon? Isn't investing heavily in Aggron's defenses and carrying a Leftovers into a Sandstorm team better?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)