A Divine EradicatiØn

• Thread starter Deleted member 94168
  • Start date

Deleted member 94168

A Divine EradicatiØn

[box]
At a glance:

Hello Smogon. This is the first team that I will be posting here. It is a full stall team based around Underoath's album, Ø (Disambiguation). I will try to keep it a little more laconic;
nothing too extravagant, as I do not want an unpleasant case of tl;dr. Without further ado, let's have a closer look at the team:
[/box]

( Changes in BOLD )

Forretress (M) @ Leftovers [ In Division ]
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Def / 240 SDef
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Spikes
- Payback
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic Spikes

Between motionless
And this retched state of digression
Treading on the line that I drew from my own compliance
Let me feel it rain down
I cannot wait any longer

I like to start my games off with Forretress; not the most creative set-up there is, but he gets the job done well. Against bulky leads such as Metagross and Hippowdon, I am given the utmost advantage. Other leads; Azelf and Tyranitar in particular, require me to play around them with careful prediction due to their relative versatility. However, Forretress does not obtain as many good matchups as other viable leads. Although Forretress is really vulnerable to Magnezone in this position - the worst case scenario is that I start the battle 5-6 with one layer of spikes and toxic spikes each, seeing that Forretress can reliably live a Hidden Power Fire from neutral natured Magnezone. Thus, I have always found it expedient to run Leftovers over Shed Shell on Forretress, who lacks a form of reliable recovery. I think that's all there is to cover; the moveset and EV spread is really self-explainatory. Forretress provides invaluable spin support for the team.

Gyarados (M) @ Leftovers [ Paper Lung ]
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Rest
- Roar
- Waterfall
- Sleep Talk

Let's get something straight, I am not
Oh I am not who you made me out to be

It's the awakening of my body's inner consciousness
And a fraction of my sleepless numb existence
Rain down now on me

RestTalk Gyarados is often an integral part of stall teams, and for a good reason. He is one of the fastest phazers, a potent absorber of status and is able to cover more than a third of the standard metagame. He also benefits greatly from Forretress's Rapid Spin, which allows him to come in repeatedly with Intimidate to undermine enemy attacks, force switches to rack up more entry hazard damage and be an annoyance in general. The EVs are fairly straightforward; 248 HP and max defense for maximum physical bulk while minimising damage from Stealth Rock upon entry, and the rest is delegated into speed so I could avoid risking a speed tie against opposing RestTalk Gyarados.

Blissey (F) @ Flame Mail [ Illuminator ]
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 16 HP / 252 Def / 240 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Ice Beam
- Thunder Wave
- Seismic Toss
- Softboiled

Oh I feel it now
Pick and pull apart my limbs
Push me down now from your throne

It's so easy to slap this pink, salient blob of blasphemy on your team and forget that 90% of the special attacking threats ever existed. Also, with Flame Mail as opposed to leftovers to laugh at certain forlorn attempts to cripple Blissey, make that 95%. (I swear I'm like a really nice person.) Stealth Rock Blissey was something that came to mind as a partner for Forretress, giving me an optimal chance of getting at least one layer up almost immediately, especially when Heatran and Starmie have risen in popularity in the lead spot. Another good thing placing Stealth Rock on Blissey instead of something like the Hippowdon below is that Life Orb Starmie won't be accomplishing its primary purpose of removing said hazard as easily.

Hippowdon (M) @ Leftovers [ Driftwood ]
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Slack Off
- Stealth Rock
- Roar

Oh I feel it now
Drag me down now to the floor
Press the point into my skin

Hippowdon, albeit set-up fodder for threats such as Dragonite, Gengar and Gliscor, holds its own in the current metagame. Oh, psyche! I have Ice Fang! So if MixNite is looking for an opening to tear apart my team, Hippowdon is the best place to begin with.

Lame jokes aside, Hippowdon holds the team together, covering threats such as Tyranitar, Raikou and CM Jirachi. Hippowdon also forms a solid defensive core with Gyarados and Blissey, abusing their various resistances and monumental bulk to work around opposing threats.

Venusaur (M) @ Leftovers [ Reversal ]
Trait: Overgrow
EVs: 232 HP / 40 Def / 216 SDef / 20 Spd
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Sleep Powder
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Leech Seed
- Energy Ball

Oh I feel it now
Something will have to collide
To end the constant spinning of cycles
Strung together and I'm crawling in the streets

Venusaur is an interesting choice. The main reason for using Venusaur over Celebi is his secondary typing, which allows him to absorb toxic spikes (which Hippowdon and Blissey generally hate) upon switch-in should Forretress fail to spin them away. His ability to phaze, racking up more residual damage and sleep powder to incapacitate an enemy is an asset to the team as well. Venusaur does accentuate my slight weakness to Breloom however, so deciding between both of them is sort of a toss-up; advice would be helpful in this regard.

Rotom-W @ Choice Scarf [ In Completion ]
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 44 SpA / 216 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Trick
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Where is my fix
I stand alone in time

When they spun away
I fell apart

Lastly, the obligatory spin-blocker. Trick is useful for opposing stall teams and foiling my opponent's last ditch attempts to pull off an upset victory with stuff like CroCune. Scarf Rotom-A is a great revenge killer, and I believe he needs no introduction. This sets gives me a nice secondary check to dangerous threats such as Gyarados, Dragonite, Infernape and Lucario. It is also able to stand up against Life Orb Starmie, an omnipotent menace, and save the mutiple layers of hazards that was painstakingly taken to get up.

Conclusion

I hope my RMT was a pleasant read. Feedback would be appreciated; I would want some suggestions as to how I can improve the team.

This is a solid-looking team that surprisingly hasn't had any rates, so I'll offer a few suggestions. First of all, try out Impish on Forretress. Natures are percentage-based, so you get more out of emphasizing its higher Defense. The special bulk might help for stuff like Gengar, but the rest of your team does a solid job of covering special threats.

Second, I'd recommend moving Stealth Rock to Hippowdon over Ice Fang, and giving Blissey Ice Beam instead. The only kind of Dragonite that would switch into Hippowdon is MixNite, and you can just Roar other threats away. Ice Beam will also hit Gliscor a lot harder and give you a way to break Gengar's subs.

Last of all, definitely consider giving Venusaur a STAB move, preferably over Roar since you have a good number of phazers already. The ability to hit bulky Waters is really useful, especially if you've used up Sleep Powder on something else already.

These are just some minor nitpicks; as I said, the team is already looking pretty solid. Good luck!

Deleted member 94168

This is a solid-looking team that surprisingly hasn't had any rates, so I'll offer a few suggestions. First of all, try out Impish on Forretress. Natures are percentage-based, so you get more out of emphasizing its higher Defense. The special bulk might help for stuff like Gengar, but the rest of your team does a solid job of covering special threats.

Second, I'd recommend moving Stealth Rock to Hippowdon over Ice Fang, and giving Blissey Ice Beam instead. The only kind of Dragonite that would switch into Hippowdon is MixNite, and you can just Roar other threats away. Ice Beam will also hit Gliscor a lot harder and give you a way to break Gengar's subs.

Last of all, definitely consider giving Venusaur a STAB move, preferably over Roar since you have a good number of phazers already. The ability to hit bulky Waters is really useful, especially if you've used up Sleep Powder on something else already.

These are just some minor nitpicks; as I said, the team is already looking pretty solid. Good luck!
Thanks Faladran. I will definitely try out Impish > Careful on Forretress. As for placing Stealth Rock on Hippowdon, I would make the change with Hippowdon in the lead spot as Forry and Hippo don't complement each other as much. Also, I will try out Grass Knot over Roar on Venusaur and update my post. Thanks for the rate again!

Hi

This is indeed a very solid stall team and there isn't much that could make it better.
However, I do suggest Aromatherapy over Thunder Wave on Blissey as with Toxic Spikes and Sleep Powder on your team; the paralysis support is kinda redundant. Aromatherapy will keep your team status free and works well with Rest on Gyarados.

Good luck with the team!

I would suggest Revenge as a better coverage, more powerful alternative to Payback.
Payback is needed to hit Rotom-a who attempts to block Rapid Spin.

I also would like to recommend Energy Ball over Grass Knot on Venusaur just so you have an easier time taking on Rotom. Hope I helped! Great team and good luck!

Deleted member 94168

Hi

This is indeed a very solid stall team and there isn't much that could make it better.
However, I do suggest Aromatherapy over Thunder Wave on Blissey as with Toxic Spikes and Sleep Powder on your team; the paralysis support is kinda redundant. Aromatherapy will keep your team status free and works well with Rest on Gyarados.

Good luck with the team!
I need a status move on Blissey or nasty plot Togekiss with roost will give me problems. Blissey stands a fair chance against subsplit gengar one-on-one if I pack an elemental beam + t-wave. Otherwise, it can weaken something on my team each time it comes in. Forretress usually doesn't prioritise Toxic Spikes over Spikes and keeping rocks off the field; I only get those two crucial layers if I see Celebi/Shaymin. Forretress doesn't live long enough to get all layers of hazards up, so as long it gets two layers of any hazard and is able to keep stealth rock off the field, it has done its job. Most things that switch into Blissey doesn't like t-wave, so it is helpful if I don't manage to set-up toxic spikes (not to mention the number of threats that don't get hit by toxic spikes). My team isn't bothered by status that much so I would like to keep t-wave on Blissey. Thanks for the suggestion though.

I also would like to recommend Energy Ball over Grass Knot on Venusaur just so you have an easier time taking on Rotom. Hope I helped! Great team and good luck!
Sounds good, I'll make the change. Thanks!

Pursuit Tyranitar+Taunt DD Gyarados combinations are extremely problematic; removing Rotom locked into Thunderbolt / Shadow Ball / Trick is no problem. Gyarados can then set up versus your Forretress or your own Gyara, proceeding to pull off a fairly easy sweep. My suggestion is to use Celebi in place of Venusaur. This gives you a Gyara counter that is much harder for Tyranitar to trap thanks to its great bulk and access to recovery. It provides a much more solid answer to Breloom than Venusaur did; and it can defeat last Pokemon setup sweepers if your Rotom has already used its Trick. The loss of Toxic Spikes absorption isn't too big a deal if you play well and Rapid Spin with Forretress.

Celebi @ Leftovers | Bold | EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Perish Song | Grass Knot | Recover | U-turn

With this change your team looks extremely solid, good luck.

Deleted member 94168

Pursuit Tyranitar+Taunt DD Gyarados combinations are extremely problematic; removing Rotom locked into Thunderbolt / Shadow Ball / Trick is no problem. Gyarados can then set up versus your Forretress or your own Gyara, proceeding to pull off a fairly easy sweep. My suggestion is to use Celebi in place of Venusaur. This gives you a Gyara counter that is much harder for Tyranitar to trap thanks to its great bulk and access to recovery. It provides a much more solid answer to Breloom than Venusaur did; and it can defeat last Pokemon setup sweepers if your Rotom has already used its Trick. The loss of Toxic Spikes absorption isn't too big a deal if you play well and Rapid Spin with Forretress.

Celebi @ Leftovers | Bold | EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Perish Song | Grass Knot | Recover | U-turn

With this change your team looks extremely solid, good luck.
I'd definitely try out Celebi over Venusaur. Thanks for the rate!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)