ORAS UU A Dog, a Bat, and a Cat.. thing

Hey Guys, I'm new here and I wanted to share this team I've been using. I've been playing Pokemon competitively on showdown and wifi since the end of Gen 5 (mid 2012) and all the while I've almost exclusively built my own teams. Mainly because I find that the main appeal to the game is creating a team and seeing how it does. As you can imagine, I've built quite a few unsuccessful teams in my time playing but I feel I have only gotten better and better over the past years as I've come to understand the game more and more. That being said, I'm mainly posting this team to look for suggestions and criticism (constructive, of course). I want to try and be as detailed as possible when explaining this team and my thought process when building it. That way, anyone who may wish to offer suggestions can understand my method and perhaps even give me pointers on how to go about building better teams in general. So, sorry if this ends up being a little long for some people's taste, i'll try not to be redundant or explain unnecessary details. But I'm sure there are some geeks like me who like to read the more detailed threads in this forum.

CONCEPT

This is a partly offensive, partly balanced team that I built around Swords Dance Mega Absol. It relies a lot on its synergy and making the right switches at the right times but is not as reliant on prediction as say your typical Hyper Offense team. Absol is the main win condition, though it can also break down teams for my other offensive threats to clean up. So without wasting any more time, let's get into the details!

TEAM OVERVIEW

Hell Hound (Absol) Absolite
Ability: Justified / Magic Bounce
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

-Swords Dance
-Knock Off
-Sucker Punch
-Play Rough

The Dog. I love this thing. I feel like it's fallen off in use lately, but its effectiveness in the meta is as strong as ever I think. That's why I wanted to build a team around it. Its a potent sweeper, especially in the late game as its speed and attack stats are great, and Sucker Punch helps it handle the threats that actually do outspeed it. I wanted Swords Dance because getting just one Swords Dance, even fairly early on in the game can often lead to significantly breaking the opposing team or even sweeping it outright. This obviously depends on the opposing team, and is not generally suggested as Absol is best saved for the late game. Knock off is great for big damage and of course removing items. I chose Play Rough over Superpower because it aids in removing fighting types like Machamp and non scarf Mienshao when it has high HP. It also hits Hydreigon and other dragons. Justified to potentially switch into Dark hits before Mega Evolving, doesn't come in handy too often but I figure it could. 4 SpD because its doesn't really matter and it ensures the Porygons' Analytic is wasted (which is why every random 4 EV's in SpD is placed there on my teams).

Ol' Faithful (Crobat) Black Sludge
Ability: Infiltraitor
EVs: 48 HP/ 252 Atk / 208 Spe

-U-Turn
-Brave Bird
-Defog
-Roost

The Bat. This is probably my most used Pokemon in UU. It just seems to fit on so many teams. Great speed with a good typing, and decent attack with Brave Bird, especially if you choose to run it with a sky plate. This however, is a more supportive Crobat with Defog to clear hazards and Roost and Black Sludge for sustain. It also helps support Absol's fighting and fairy weakness. U-Turn is to maintain momentum and scout. 208 Speed EV's were chosen to speed-creep common SupportBat sets and still maintain a healthy Stealth Rock HP number.

Mr. Nice Guy (Empoleon) @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
Nature: Calm
EV's 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD

-Stealth Rock
-Scald
-Toxic
-Roar

Empoleon's just the nicest guy around. First of all he's a bulky water type so you know he's packing scald and passin' those burns along. I wanted a Stealth Rocker to help wear down teams a bit more. I also decided Toxic could be useful for that as well. I put Roar on to phase out potential threats like Salamence and Suicune that can sweep my team if certain members are eliminated. Roar is also what makes Empoleon such a nice guy. He can stay in on certain teams and just cycle Pokemon around and rack up rocks damage. When the time comes he'll usually just do this until he goes down, softening up the enemy, and then, no more Mr. Nice Guy.

Blasterson (Donphan) Choice Band
Ability: Sturdy
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 52 HP / 252 Atk / 204 Spe

-Earthquake
-Knock Off
-Ice Shard
-Seed Bomb

I realized that I built myself quite an electric weakness and so I decided to add a bulky ground type. I didn't need a rocker or a spinner, and Donphan has decent physical bulk to begin with. So, I decided to make it hit as hard as possible with a Choice Band set. Adamant nature because 508 Atk is no joke and 204 Spe to outspeed uninvested base 75 Pokemon. Ice Shard because this guy walls the fuck outta Salamence so you might as well kill it while you're at it. Knock Off because its great. And Seed bomb to hit the ever-so-common bulky waters for big damage.

Calcs:

252+ Atk Choice Band Donphan Ice Shard vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Salamence: 328-388 (99 - 117.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

252 Atk Salamence Outrage vs. 52 HP / 0 Def Donphan: 172-204 (51.4 - 61%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Donphan eats it up and kills.

+1 252 Atk Salamence Outrage vs. 52 HP / 0 Def Donphan: 258-304 (77.2 - 91%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
Even a +1 Outrage can't stop Donphan, unless its Life Orb. This situtaion is best to try and avoid all together tho

252+ Atk Choice Band Donphan Seed Bomb vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Suicune: 178-210 (44 - 51.9%) -- 69.5% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Choice Band Donphan Seed Bomb vs. 232 HP / 252+ Def Alomomola: 226-268 (42.7 - 50.6%) -- 46.9% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Nothing too amazing but worth noting

252+ Atk Choice Band Donphan Seed Bomb vs. 200 HP / 252 Def Vaporeon: 294-346 (65.1 - 76.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
Vaporeon doesn't stand a chance.

Floppy (Mienshao) Choice Scarf
Ability: Reckless
EVs: 252 Atk/ 4 SpD / 252 Spe

-High Jump Kick
-U-Turn
-Poison Jab
-Stone Edge

The Cat-thing. I don't know what this thing is supposed to be but those floppy hand things are just fucking creepy... I figured my team was looking pretty solid as far as weaknesses went and decided to make my team more offensive. A more offensive playstyle is more my taste after all. Mienshao works well to just soften up opposing teams in general. It forces many switches as it outspeeds basically exerything in the tier and Reckless boosted High Jump Kick just punishes a lot of bulky Mons. U-Turn over Knock Off because I already have 2 Knock Off users and having another U-Turner helpes with momentum. I mainly use it as a HJK wall breaker for mons like Blissey and any other unlucky Pokemon that might be forced to switch in. Poison Jab for Florges and Stone Edge for predicting things like Crobat and Aerodactyl who might think I'll U-Turn again.

Smaug (Salamence) Life Orb
Ability: Intimidate
Nature: Timid
EV's: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

-Draco Metoer
-Dragon Pulse
-Fire Blast
-Roost

That's right, not a DD Salamence. My team's got enough Physical Mons anyway. I started off this team with a Life Orb Zam in this spot, but my team had no fire which is generally bad. Also Alakazam was just another completely frail Pokemon. I wanted a Pokemon like Hydreigon, but I didn't want another Dark type. Enter Special Salamence. Draco is for hitting hard while Dragon Pulse is basically just for when you don't want to drop your SpA. Fire Blast is for steel walls like Aggron who doesn't care that HJK is super effective and Forretress, both who wall this set otherwise. Roost is to recover from the life orb damage when needed when Salamence forces a switch. Intimidate comes in handy for just general "bulk" and to slow down set-up sweepers and Moxie sweepers. Florges obviously walls this set, but I'll have to let the rest of the team handle that.

THREATS & WEAKNESSES

My team is weak to a few common sweepers. These aren't detrimental weaknesess but I generally only have one or two things that can handle them or else they potentially sweep my entire team.

Suicune, especially Crocune can sweep my team if Empoleon is eliminated. Definitely one of the biggest threats to my team. Empoleon generally sets up rocks and phases until he dies, it's not essential to how my team functions, more of just a habit that I'll have to watch against certain teams. Donphan helps a bit with Suicune, but he is still weak to Suicune and only wins if Suicune is weakened and his sturdy is intact, or if Suicune isn't set up yet and is already weakened. ... Suicune.

Aerodactyl and DD Salamence break through my entire team if Empoleon and Donphan are weakened or eliminated so I have to be careful with how I play them under those circumstances.

Well-played stall teams can be troublesome to my team because it sits in that middle ground. Its not bulky enough to outstall and it only has one set-up sweeper so its not quite offensive enough to outright overwhelm it. I can overcome them if I play very well and make the right predictions, and a well placed SD with Absol can often break them down. Still though, it can be tough and it doesn't help that I hate playing against stall to begin with.

That's pretty much it, I hope it wasn't too long and boring. Hopefully I have inspired some thought in those who found this team interesting. I have only tested this team for a couple of short sessions over the past few days. It seemed to do pretty well, except one of the days I was playing rather poorly.

Anyway, I appreciate any suggestion you might have as that's the main reason I posted here, so I can learn from the community and see if my concepts are on the right track.

Thanks,
Conroy

Last edited:

Wanka

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
UUPL Champion
Looks like a cool team man im curious as to see how that donphan set works for you. Into the rate, ok so I just have a suggestion you could use on your crobat. Based on your description of it you said you wanted it to be more of a support set. If you want more of a support crobat I suggest you run more hp on it and take away some attack as a support set tends to run more in hp. And also for bat since you already have 208 speeds evs on it I would recommend putting 4 more on because 212 evs in speeds lets u outpace adamant feraligatr after it DD's.
And as far as your suicune, blissey and alomomola weaknesses, there is one mon in particular that can handle them all...Heracross. So in this case I would run hera over mienshao and the set on hera would be a swords dance orb set so u are not locked into one move. While shao cant hurt those mons it is kinda scared to click HJK on blissey and alom because they very commonly carry protect and heracross who carries close combat rather than high jump kick can deal with them better. switching shao for hera does take away your scarfer but if you are really worried about the speed you could always slap a scarf on mence as it is a really good moxie cleaner in this tier. Your team is pretty fast to begin with as well so not having a scarfer isn't too bad. Other than those too seems like a cool team n_n.

Crobat @ Black Sludge
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 176 HP / 120 Atk / 212 Spe
- Brave Bird
- U-turn
- Defog
- Roost

Heracross @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Facade

+2 252 Atk Guts Heracross Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Suicune: 373-441 (92.3 - 109.1%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO

+2 252 Atk Guts Heracross Facade (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 232 Def Florges: 456-537 (126.6 - 149.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO (hera can also really hurt florges unlike shao which is a bonus)

+2 252 Atk Guts Heracross Close Combat vs. 232 HP / 252+ Def Alomomola: 475-559 (89.7 - 105.6%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO

Looks like a cool team man im curious as to see how that donphan set works for you. Into the rate, ok so I just have a suggestion you could use on your crobat. Based on your description of it you said you wanted it to be more of a support set. If you want more of a support crobat I suggest you run more hp on it and take away some attack as a support set tends to run more in hp. And also for bat since you already have 208 speeds evs on it I would recommend putting 4 more on because 212 evs in speeds lets u outpace adamant feraligatr after it DD's.
And as far as your suicune, blissey and alomomola weaknesses, there is one mon in particular that can handle them all...Heracross. So in this case I would run hera over mienshao and the set on hera would be a swords dance orb set so u are not locked into one move. While shao cant hurt those mons it is kinda scared to click HJK on blissey and alom because they very commonly carry protect and heracross who carries close combat rather than high jump kick can deal with them better. switching shao for hera does take away your scarfer but if you are really worried about the speed you could always slap a scarf on mence as it is a really good moxie cleaner in this tier. Your team is pretty fast to begin with as well so not having a scarfer isn't too bad. Other than those too seems like a cool team n_n.

Crobat @ Black Sludge
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 176 HP / 120 Atk / 212 Spe
- Brave Bird
- U-turn
- Defog
- Roost

Heracross @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Facade

+2 252 Atk Guts Heracross Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Suicune: 373-441 (92.3 - 109.1%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO

+2 252 Atk Guts Heracross Facade (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 232 Def Florges: 456-537 (126.6 - 149.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO (hera can also really hurt florges unlike shao which is a bonus)

+2 252 Atk Guts Heracross Close Combat vs. 232 HP / 252+ Def Alomomola: 475-559 (89.7 - 105.6%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO
Thanks for the tips my friend :)
I have actually been meaning to edit the speed on crobat since I recently realized that +1 Gatr outspeeds. I'll definitely edit the HP as well.
Heracross sounds like a really good idea, I really like it in this tier, that set in particular. And ScarfMence is also one of my favorite things in this tier so I'll have no problem trying that out too.
The only thing is, Mence was put on the team mainly to cover my lack of ways to take on physical walls like Forretress and Mega-Aggron. I know I could run Fire Blast on the scarf set but I only have one other special attacker besides Salamence. SCald is just such a threat and Emp is only gonna last so long is a battle.

Great advice tho, I'm about to hop on PS and test it! :)

Wanka

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
UUPL Champion
Yeah I would only use the scarf set in your case if you really desperately need the speed and in your case ur team is pretty fast so u don't really need it. and I personally like your mence set how it is. special mence is a really fun lure I like it. n_n glad u liked the tips I just starting to get into rating.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)