XY Doubles A Fun One - Final XY Doubles RMT

Hi everyone! This will be my second Doubles RMT (third overall) and my last RMT for XY. This was a team I originally built when preparing for Doubles Circuit Major, my first semi-large Doubles tournament. I had just lost to wllmagic (who eventually went to beat my team and me again ;_;) and wanted to try and build a good team. I wanted a team that could do well against all playstyles, whether that be Rain, Sun, Sand, Fairy Spam, Trick Room, etc. This is what I came up with. It preformed pretty decently and helped me go a lot farther than I would have expected in Major (even though not really that far), while also preforming well in some other tournaments too. It's definitely not the best team ever, but it's been a very enjoyable one to play with overall. :] Anyways, here's the team!

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Thunderbolt
- Psyshock
- Protect

Firstly, I wanted something that could deal with weather well. Latios was my go-to pick because of its unique Dragon typing, which allowed it to do well against both Sun and Rain teams. The moveset is pretty standard outside of Thunderbolt, which was chosen for its ability to hit the two weather setters, Mega Charizard Y and Politoed, super effectively. Life Orb is added for extra power, while a Timid nature allows me to outspeed base 108's and Speed tie with other Latios.

Terrakion @ Focus Sash
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Rock Slide
- Protect
- Quick Guard

Next, I wanted something that could KO Mega Kangaskhan. Terrakion was not only able to do with, but it could also KO Mega Charizard Y and Tyranitar as well, making it extra helpful. The moveset, EVs, and nature are once again quite standard. I chose a Focus Sash over Life Orb in order to live a single hit, and it's actually come in handy so many times it's insane. Overall, a strong Mon that can put in a lot of work with ease.

Rotom-Wash @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 136 SpA / 120 SpD
Calm Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Thunder Wave

Next, I noticed that Choice Scarf Landorus-T was an issue, as were Flying-types like Talonflame. Rotom-W was able to beat these threats easily, while also assisting against Sand Rush Excadrill and Water-types in general. The EV spread allows me to survive Modest Mega Charizard Y SolarBeam iirc, with the rest thrown into Special Attack for more power. Sitrus Berry is there for added recovery. The moveset is mainly standard, though double status is somewhat of an oddity. I wanted a way to both cripple physical attackers and control Speed, and I decided to go with Thunder Wave > Electro Web due to its ability to permanently cripple an opponent and have a helpful chance to fully paralyze the opponent.

Ferrothorn @ Lum Berry
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Atk / 84 Def
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip
- Leech Seed
- Protect

Next, I wanted a Pokemon that could perform well in Trick Room, switch into Fairy-type attacks, and assist against Rain teams. Ferrothorn fit this bill perfectly, and has yet to disappoint. Its high natural bulk allows it to easily tank hits, while Gyro Ball and Power Whip hit surprisingly hard with a Brave nature and some Attack investment. The EV spread, moves, and nature were all stolen from the analysis, though they all work beautifully. I decided to go with Lum Berry over Leftovers or Rocky Helmet to help take Will-O-Wisp from Rotom-W.

------>

Kangaskhan-Mega (F) @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Scrappy
Happiness: 0
EVs: 16 HP / 252 Atk / 124 Def / 116 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Ice Punch
- Low Kick
- Fake Out
- Frustration

This was a set I just kind of slapped on at the end of teambuilding, not really knowing how it would preform. However, while it looks somewhat bad on paper, it's been absolutely phenomenal in practice. I found out about this set after someone (I think Blood Totem) used it in their RMT, and it's very strong. Fake Out allows me to immobilize a Pokemon, Frustration provides for a strong STAB that is very weak if copied by a Transform user, Low Kick KOs opposing Khan, Heatran, and other annoying Steel-types, while Ice Punch rounds out the coverage by hitting Landorus-T. I know a lot of people like Inner Focus Khan to better deal with Fake Out, but I've always found Scrappy to be more useful in hitting Mega Gengar and other Ghost-types, even if they usually can burn you. I also have no clue what the EVs do, they were ripped off from Blood Totem lol.

Victini @ Flame Plate
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Blue Flare
- Psychic
- Taunt
- Protect

This spot originally belonged to Aegislash, as it provided an additional answer to Fairy-types while also having a large amount of bulk in general. However, I found I was quite weak to Steel-types with Aegislash. I also wanted a Pokemon that was faster as well. Because Mega Charizard Y and Rotom-H weren't options because I was already using up my Mega slot / Rotom form, and since Heatran was quite slow and weak to Focus Blast, I decided to go with Victini. I chose a special set over a physical set because I didn't like the stat drops of V-Create, as well as the fact that a special set would ignore the stat drops from Aegislash's King's Shield. I also chose Taunt over a third coverage move to help me from stopping Trick Room, Substitute, and other support moves. I'm not necessarily sure if Victini is the best fit, but it's worked out pretty well so far, so I'm happy with it :]

Threatlist

Aegislash

Aegislash, especially Substitute variants, are absolute hell for this team. It walls basically everything and has great natural bulk, meaning I really struggle to beat it. Victini can do a good amount of damage, but between Substitute, King's Shield, and Aegislash's partner, it doesn't have the best chance of actually getting a KO. This usually forces me to rely on Rotom-W's Hydro Pump to break it, which usually doesn't happen.

Tailwind
While not as bad as Aegislash, Tailwind teams can be troublesome. My team doesn't have any good method to control Speed, which allows my opponent to set up Tailwind and proceed to do a large amount of damage to my team. My generally bulky Pokemon + Focus Sash Terrakion can help with Tailwind, though it can still be quite threatening when utilized effectively.

Conclusion

In conclusion, this has probably been one of my favorite teams to use in XY. It's generally pretty strong, and can preform well against a lot of scary playstyles. The Pokemon work well together, which is nice :]. I might try to modify this team for ORAS, so feel free to leave suggestions even though XY is over. Thanks for reading!

Last edited:

shaian

you love to see it
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hey there LLux, cool team you have! Now there's not many things that need to be changed on this team, it looks quite solid. But I do think I know how to patch up your weakness to Tailwind a bit. Simply running Tailwind instead of Thunderbolt on Latios would help your team quite a bit, and would almost certainly provide some comfort in dealing with certain key threats, namely fast-scarfers, deoxys (who can beat a sizeable portion of your team outside MKang). Also, your reasoning for opting for Thunderbolt is solid, being super-effective against Politoed and Charizard, you already have a sufficient number of checks to them. Charizard is easily handled with Terrakion, and Latios can already 2hko it with Psyshock, making it just as effective as a response. As for Politoed, Ferrothorn, Rotom, and Kangaskhan all handle it with ease, making Thunderbolt redundant. Between Tailwind and Thunder Wave, you should have a more than sufficient response to Tailwind teams.

It's a pretty solid team, but I think you need some speed control. Tail Wind is a solid option on Latios, but you could also run Glaciate over psychic (or protect if you make it a bulky set) on Victini. It provides a spread speed control move which can help because while your pokemon are fast, they would be speed tying with many other prominent pokemon which can be disastrous and cause something to get KOed prematurely.

Hey there LLux, cool team you have! Now there's not many things that need to be changed on this team, it looks quite solid. But I do think I know how to patch up your weakness to Tailwind a bit. Simply running Tailwind instead of Thunderbolt on Latios would help your team quite a bit, and would almost certainly provide some comfort in dealing with certain key threats, namely fast-scarfers, deoxys (who can beat a sizeable portion of your team outside MKang). Also, your reasoning for opting for Thunderbolt is solid, being super-effective against Politoed and Charizard, you already have a sufficient number of checks to them. Charizard is easily handled with Terrakion, and Latios can already 2hko it with Psyshock, making it just as effective as a response. As for Politoed, Ferrothorn, Rotom, and Kangaskhan all handle it with ease, making Thunderbolt redundant. Between Tailwind and Thunder Wave, you should have a more than sufficient response to Tailwind teams.
Hmm, that does sound quite cool! It is definitely a viable option that would be very helpful for opposing Tailwind teams :] Also you're right about Thunderbolt, maybe it's not as helpful as I was making it out to be. I'll definitely be sure to test this!

Cool looking team, I'm a big fan of Ferrothorn right now because the only grass type people are prepared for is Amoonguss. The only thing I would change is probably replacing your Victini with one of these Chandelure sets. Chandelure provides valuable immunities to Fighting and Fire to help Kangaskhan and Ferrothorn, and it adds much needed spread to your team. The choice between the sets is up to you, on one hand if you like having Taunt on Vicitini and find that it helps you a lot, then use Taunt, if you really need a way to get around Tailwind (or turn off opposing Trick Room) the Trick Room set would be better. Sash lets Chandelure beat SubAegis (or break a sub and get off a hit if you have to come in late).
The speed in the first set hits 254 for max speed Modest Heatran (it's a thing ok) and I figure that extra 56 HP EVs you would get from dropping speed to 240 (for Bisharp) really wouldn't make a big difference.

Chandelure @ Focus Sash
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 24 HP / 252 SpA / 232 Spe
Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- Shadow Ball
- Taunt
- Protect

OR

Chandelure @ Focus Sash
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Heat Wave
- Shadow Ball
- Trick Room
- Protect
Yeah, I almost chose Chandelure over Victini, though its lower Speed and worse defenses kind of put me off. I do like how Focus Sash variants can help with Aegislash and how Trick Room helps with Speed control. However, Trick Room does hurt Terrakion and Latios a good bit... I'll do some testing with it and see how it does :]

It's a pretty solid team, but I think you need some speed control. Tail Wind is a solid option on Latios, but you could also run Glaciate over psychic (or protect if you make it a bulky set) on Victini. It provides a spread speed control move which can help because while your pokemon are fast, they would be speed tying with many other prominent pokemon which can be disastrous and cause something to get KOed prematurely.
Oh that's an interesting option. It's kinda weak and would make me more vulnerable to Trick Room, but still very helpful for Tailwind. I'll be sure to give it a shot :]

Thanks for all the rates everybody!

you didn't explain the reasoning behind flame plate, but why not use sitrus over it to give victini some more bulk? If it secures extra ko's do it but i don't think its worth it otherwise.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)