1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

A glimpse at Crushking: A Wall "Crushing" Nidoking

Discussion in 'Stark Mountain' started by Yagami Light, Feb 17, 2008.

1. Rawbi

Rawbi

I was intrigued by this topic and made myself a Crushking to play with. It does well, I just wish it could be a little bit faster.
  2. cloud

cloud groove, slam, work it back, filter that baby, bump
    is a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnus

this reminds me of my gsc nidoking, except gsc nidoking had an amazing movepool in just having lovely kiss.

Nidoking versus Cresselia ( 20 HP / 252 Def Modest) with Megahorn:
    54.15% - 63.73% 2HKO with or without SR including LEfties.

that caught my eye, pretty impressive. the added benefit of absorbing toxic spikes is very useful, seeing as how good psn types are so far and few. my only quarrel is that nidoking can't really switch in to anything but twavers and even then the most popular ones hurt it. you're looking at nidoking coming in mostly on spikers and toxic spikers; not a bad thing as they're very popular. suicune is still kinda popular and still annoys nidoking, but with prediction you can expect that nidoking to do a lot of damage. cool.
  3. jrrrrrrr

jrrrrrrr wubwubwub
    is a Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Nidoking's immunity to poison and paralysis, as well as absorbing Toxic Spikes is pretty cool. It's movepool is still massive, and it's cool to see someone finally using it.

Even though it can mess up most of the common walls, I would personally like to see some defensive statistics. Since Nidoking is slower than pretty much every offensive threat in the game, calcs against Hera's moves, random Grass Knots, and things like Lucario's Extremespeed/Close Combat would be pretty useful.

I like the idea, but I'm not sure that I'm sold on a pokemon that is as frail and slow as Nidoking. It's defenses are barely better than Infernape's, even though it's aided by a handful of resists.
  4. The Lost One

The Lost One

Do you think that it would also be wise for that wishpasser to carry an agility or defense increasing move? That may give it more survivability.

EDIT: Though now that I think about it, can it survive a baton pass in on the likes of Salamence or Garchomp?
  5. Yagami Light

Yagami Light

You COULD use Agility passing, you'll outspeed pretty much everything except for high speed scarfers. However, I think there are better candidates to pass to and Crushking shouldn't be that important in your team, it's a single poke supporting role. And I'd recommend against bringing in Nidoking on the dragons, since you can be sure of EQ being a move in their arsenal.
  6. Yagami Light

Yagami Light

Just posting to say that Nidoking usage went from #135 weighted to #92 weighted in the Shoddybattle statistics.
  7. Purple Jesus

Purple Jesus

The only thing I have against this is MixTar does almost everything better. The positives to Nidoking are he is slightly faster and has some better placed resistances to get in slightly easier than mixtar. Though, a mixtar running LOrb with FBlast/Icebeam/Crunch/(Stone Edge or Equake) does the same thing but with more pop from each attacking side of the spectrum. I don't know if this was mentioned as I didn't feel like surfing through 4 pages, but just throwing out my input.

I still think its a cool set and definitely viable. Nice work with it
  8. Yagami Light

Yagami Light

It's been mentioned and yes, Mixtar just beats it out in pure attack power. But the two Status immunities and ability to absorb toxic spikes make it a team helper without causing a sandstorm.
  9. ShinyMilotic

ShinyMilotic

I'm going to try this out for some fun, it will probably do okay, but not like amazing..
  10. Yagami Light

Yagami Light

You'd actually be surprised, this thing can deal loads depending on prediction. Also, I'll be adding Thunder calcs in a bit.
  11. TVboyCanti

TVboyCanti

You forgot Dusknoir, Gengar, Hippowdon and Tangrowth.

You justified Nidokings phail against Swampert by saying Swampert cannot come in repeatedly, I would just like to point out that neither can nidoking, much less than swampert as a matter of fact.

Also, the blissey that you cited as your example will nail you with Ice Beam for ~50% damage(not counting LO residual), switch out to swampert, and then kill you. Then blissey will come in against your special attacker and recover away the damage.

If blissey doesn't have Ice Beam, then you are not 2hkoing it.
  12. Yagami Light

Yagami Light

Well, I added in the walls you posted, note that Nidoking still 2HKOs 'em. And let's assume your scenario where you believe the Blissey comes to recover in on the special attacker, at that point you bring Nidoking in. EQ is 3HKO on a fully defensive Swampert, and a 2HKO if it takes any previous damage. You're going to have to either die with Bliss, or go to Swampert and die.
  13. Bourbon

Bourbon

My top has Triple Kick. Best Tyraniboah counter in the game :P
  14. Blu

Blu

Gyara's gonna get a free DD w/ this

but overall its good
  15. Yagami Light

Yagami Light

Yeah, though you can use Tbolt and kill the Gyara while they DD, though I still don't recommend it.
  16. the pugilist

the pugilist
    is a Past WCoP Winner

You listed Dusknoir twice in the threat list.
  17. Yagami Light

Yagami Light

Hmm...thanks for catching that.
  18. Yagami Light

Yagami Light

I think I'll bump this up a bit so more people see it.
  19. SlpTCat

SlpTCat

Why posion point!!! Nidoking gets sheer force as its Dw ability
  20. Samri72

Samri72

LOL Yea, here's to 128 power Ice Beams and 160 Power Fire Blast... Oh yea, and 100 power Rock Slide should you desire it.
  21. JeffreyLebowski

JeffreyLebowski

stark mountain, knuckleheads, is fourth gen. sheer force doesn't even exist for the purposes of this conversation
  22. tomtom5858

tomtom5858

And why bump a 2 year old thread?

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)