1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. Welcome to the Orange Islands! Please remember to read the rules. Come chat with us on our IRC channel and enjoy your stay!
  3. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

A Guide to EV Training with Hordes

Discussion in 'Orange Islands' started by Stellar, Oct 16, 2013.

1. bearcanine

bearcanine

Can you rename "Fast Special" to something else? I thought it meant, like, the best way to get SpA EV's. I got confused :x
  2. sun_beak

sun_beak

So if, for example, all my Pokemon have Pokerus, and my Mienfoo has a Macho Brace equipped, and I beat a horde of Wingull with my Barbaracle, does the Mienfoo receive the 10 Spe EV's that Barbaracle received or will the Macho Brace double it for just Mienfoo, giving it 20 Spe EV's while Barbaracle receives 10?
  3. Arcticblast

Arcticblast Winner of the Biggest Dork Competition 2014
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a SPL Winner

Barbaracle will receive 10 EVs and Mienfoo will receive 20.
  4. sun_beak

sun_beak

That is completely ridiculous. We can have teams of fully EV trained Pokemon in minutes without even having to send them into battle. I'm so happy right now.

EDIT: Holy crap, bigkahuna07 has been here since '09 and just now made his / her first post.
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
    AWailOfATail likes this.
  5. bigkahuna07

bigkahuna07

so let me try and get this straight let's say I have my lapras take out a horde of wingulls with a surf and I have just a oddish and an abra holding a macho brace will the abra get 10 speed evs and the lapras get 5? (I just want to be sure on the math and method plz?)
  6. PicardsFlute

PicardsFlute

With XP Share turned on:
    Lapras (No Item) gets 5 Spe EVs
    Oddish (No Item) gets 5 Spe EVs
    Abra (Macho Brace) gets 10 Spe EVs
    Hypothetical Aron (Power Lens) gets 20 SpA EVs and 5 Spe EVs
    Hypothetical Mew (No item, FAINTED) gets 0 EVs.

With XP share on it's irrelevant who actually did the fighting.
    wadestar and sun_beak like this.
  7. Grimsly

Grimsly

I got some questions about this;

1. When referring to power items, that includes the Power Bracer, Belt, Lens, Band etc but not the Macho Brace, or is that not in this game?
    2. With these by how much do the EV's received increase, from say a horde of Aron giving a total of 5Def, is it x2?
    3. Adding on from the previous amount, by how much more do they increase with Pokerus, is it still x2?

Of course, just to make sure I do this properly, all I need is Sweet Scent / EXP Share turned on? But all I'm really confused about is the EV amounts gained after horde battles, of course, they increase depending on how much the Pokemon yield. Otherwise, thanks in advanced, it will be much appreciated :)
  8. Prof. Almeida

Prof. Almeida

A question: do pokerus, macho brace and/or power item work with super training?
  9. Skore

Skore

With EXP Share turned on, all pokemon in your party receive the EVs as if they had taken part in the battle themselves and any items that modify EV yield such as macho brace or power items apply their bonus and then pokerus multiplies all this x2
    Grimsly likes this.
  10. Sprocket

Sprocket P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n

Not to my knowledge, but I will double check.
  11. Prof. Almeida

Prof. Almeida

Thanks. I'm finding out I'll have to use the power items and horde battles mode. I'll start thinking through my first competitive team next week, so I'm already planning everything

I'm currently grinding the Wonder Trade in order to farm pokémiles to get Rare Candies.
  12. goomy pls

goomy pls

Is the list in the first post complete? That is, is lists every single possible horde encounter in the game?
  13. Stellar

Stellar true and everlasting
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a SPL Winner
    Orange Islands

I made the guide more comprehensive. It should answer all of the questions posted in this thread.
    I also color-coded all encounters and added a list of efficient EV training routes.

Yes, every horde battle is listed in this guide.
  14. UltimateUnknown

UltimateUnknown

This is truly amazing. Great work on compiling all the info in such a useful form.
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2013
  15. Tathens

Tathens

Heads up on the majority of the DEFENSE pokes have sturdy lol

Only one on the list who doesn't have it would be Durant
  16. Fuzzball

Fuzzball

If you can find a Mold Breaker Excadrill, it resolves the Sturdy issue. It should be a pretty good horde-killer with EQ / Rock Slide.

Alternatively, Razor Leaf has 25 pp so you won't risk running out while EV training, though it does take a bit longer.
  17. Stellar

is a member of the Site Staffis a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a SPL Winner
    Orange Islands

Some sites are claiming the existence of Gurdurr hordes in Victory Road, but I have personally never encountered one. Can anyone affirm their existence?
  18. goomy pls

goomy pls

List of all pokemon that can be found in hordes but not in the friend safari (for hidden ability purposes):
    1. plusle
    2. minun
    3. scraggy
    4. psyduck
    5. hoppip
    6. roselia
    7. taillow
    8. zangoose
    9. yanma
    10. houndour
    11. elektrike
    12. nidoranf
    13. nidoranm
    14. starly
    15. stunky
    16. tauros
    17. ampharos
    18. miltank
    19. ekans
    20. bellsprout
    21. murkrow
    22. foongus
    23. geodude
    24. heatmor
    25. durant
    26. gligar
    27. sudowoodo
    28. scyther
    29. swablu
    30. zubat
    31. mimejr
    32. carbink
    33. smoochum
    34. vanillite
    35. aron
    36. lotad
    37. lickitung
    38. timburr
    39. slowpoke
    40. exeggcute
    I listed only the lowest evolution of each line.
    Galladium likes this.
  19. Stellar

Orange Islands

This thread is about EV training and that list will not be added to the OP. It's pretty easy to glean from the information that is currently there, anyway.
  20. DHR-107

DHR-107 Robot from the Future
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Pokemon Researcher

I'd like to add that the guide does not mention any Gurdurr hordes either, nor have I encountered Timburr hordes. I am very much confused where this came from.

Great job though Stellar :)
  21. Sprocket

Sprocket P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n

To follow-up on this question, I can confirm that Pokerus and EV items (Macho Brace, Power Belt, etc) do NOT affect Super Training in any way.

I do find Super Training useful as confirmation that any given EV truly is maxed out, and to finish off a round of EV training without having to track down the appropriate wild Pokemon. Hordes are best for quickly getting one or two EVs at or near max, though.
  22. Prof. Almeida

Prof. Almeida

Thanks a lot for the confirmation.
  23. gabric

gabric

ive found the best way to train like this is using a vespiquen. it gets sweet scent and struggle bug. once its a pretty decent lvl itll one sot most hordes and you can train 5 pokes at once instead of needing one poke for sweet scent and one to wipe out the horde
    in addition I find the floatzel hordes in victory horde to be the best place to speed ev train they appear quite commonly with sweet scent and its easy enough to run away from the more common geodude hordes
  24. StallMandibuzz

StallMandibuzz

Idk if any1 verified this, but does Sweet Scent work in caves? I doubt it does, but is there any possibility of it working?
  25. Stellar

Orange Islands

It works in caves. Many of the locations I listed in the OP are, in fact, caves.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 10)