A Guide to EV Training with Hordes

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I would like to add something to the usefullness of one cuteish Pokemon and...a hippolike thing which helps with the horde battles EV training a lot:

or

Yes that's right, Wigglytuff(and Exploud)! Wigglytuff(and Exploud) are extremly useful in ORAS due to multiple reasons:

1# It learns two important Multi-Pokemon hits moves: Hyper Voice and DISARMING VOICE
2# It has a unique typing in Normal/Fairy(or Normal), especially former is useful due to Shadow Sneak Shenanigans

Disarming Voice allows you to hit Sandshrew regardless of Sand Veil(!), while the Normal Type prevents Shadow Sneak, ideal situations for dealing with ALL IMPORTANT Horde Battles

Why am I listing both instead of one? There is one simple reason: For Disarming Voice on Exploud, you need to breed a Espurr with it, while you need Heart Scales if you catch your Jigglypuff at level 24/25, and of course a Moon Stone.

Right now I am making myself a "Trainer" Exploud:

Exploud
Disarming Voice ( male Espurr or Sylveon + Whimsur)
Uproar/Hyper Voice/Boomburst ( depends on level obviously)
Strength \ Here you can obviously place any HM or move you need, but beware that Sharpedo and Kyogre are the best Surfer in the game!!
Secret Power /
This thread is for XY and I made the exact same post in my ORAS guide a while ago.
http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...breeding-training.3522921/page-3#post-5896059

I dunno. If you're gonna talk about a dedicated Horde sweeping pokemon, it should have Sweet Scent and a spread move on it so you're not duplicating slots and can maximize your horde-training potential.

I've personally been using a Roserade with Sweet Scent/Dazzling Gleam, but I'm sweating to think if a shiny poke shows up in hordes or not, what I'll do. Maybe a Mawile with Sweet Scent/Rock Slide/False Swipe/Iron Head would be a better dedicated raiser, seeing as how it's one of the few pokes that gets Sweet Scent and False Swipe, but the hit ratio on Rock Slide is sadness.

*looks looks looks* It DOES learn Incinerate, which is a spread attack... and Dark Pulse. Gods, a Special Mawile? But it doesn't have to be strong, not against hordes. Give it a Choice Specs and you're probably good to kill just about anything - that is, IF horde pokemon can be shiny.

Can they?

And, by the way, awesome guide, I've been using it since I discovered it. Super Training is fun the first few times, but holy crap does it get repetitive... and I can't watch a video the way I can while I'm horde ev training.

EDIT: OH GOD THEY CAN SHOW UP SHINY.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I dunno. If you're gonna talk about a dedicated Horde sweeping pokemon, it should have Sweet Scent and a spread move on it so you're not duplicating slots and can maximize your horde-training potential.

I've personally been using a Roserade with Sweet Scent/Dazzling Gleam, but I'm sweating to think if a shiny poke shows up in hordes or not, what I'll do. Maybe a Mawile with Sweet Scent/Rock Slide/False Swipe/Iron Head would be a better dedicated raiser, seeing as how it's one of the few pokes that gets Sweet Scent and False Swipe, but the hit ratio on Rock Slide is sadness.

*looks looks looks* It DOES learn Incinerate, which is a spread attack... and Dark Pulse. Gods, a Special Mawile? But it doesn't have to be strong, not against hordes. Give it a Choice Specs and you're probably good to kill just about anything - that is, IF horde pokemon can be shiny.

Can they?

And, by the way, awesome guide, I've been using it since I discovered it. Super Training is fun the first few times, but holy crap does it get repetitive... and I can't watch a video the way I can while I'm horde ev training.

EDIT: OH GOD THEY CAN SHOW UP SHINY.
If you check out my sig you'll notice I'm a big fan of special Mawile so don't knock it haha. But I have to agree, if you have the resources a Sheer Force + Life Orb Mawile with Sweet Scent / Incinerate / False Swipe / Flash Cannon or Iron Head is a fantastic Horde sweeper. Once it's levelled up enough it won't even need the Life Orb...

And I know you realised in your edit but yeah, you can encounter shinies in hordes. In fact, hordes are a great way to try and find then as you're effectively multiplying your chances by 5

Tropius seems like a pretty good pokemon for hordes. I haven't used one yet, but it can get Sweet Scent, Fly, and several spread moves in Earthquake, Bulldoze, Razor Leaf, Air Cutter, Razor Wind, and Twister.

Taylor

i am alien
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm really enjoying breeding. ORAS has introduced just about everything you could wish for when raising your own pokemon. I have a strong Ditto (god bless DexNav), Pokerus and all the necessary items required. With that at my disposal I managed to raise a full team (for competitive purposes) in less than an hour. It's ridiculously quick, simple and addictive once you start.

I honestly never thought I would breed a single pokemon after Emerald/Diamond, but man was I wrong.

Quick question: If my pokemon is holding a Power item, and I'm horde training, does that mean I get 25 EVs in that stat per horde?

Quick question: If my pokemon is holding a Power item, and I'm horde training, does that mean I get 25 EVs in that stat per horde?
Without pokerus against a pokemon that yields +1 to the same stat as the power item, yes.

1(per pokemon) +4 (power item) = 5 per pokmon
5(EVs) x 5 (pokemon) = 25 total per horde

With pokerus, it's 50 per horde:
((1 + 4 ) * 2)5 = 50

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
Hi! I have this Starly that I'm training to SR for legendaries, and right now I want to level it up. However, there's something I'm having an issue with.
My original plan was to get 132 EVs on it, level it up the level after it got Final Gambit to evolve it, evolve it again and catch Thundurus, level it up to level 54 and catch Ho-Oh, add 112 more HP EVs, level it up to level 67 and proceed to catch Zygarde.
The problem is that I'm having trouble giving it EXP without messing up the EVs. There are only 3 Pokémon in the XY League with Speed EV yields (the other stat I'm going for). What would be the most efficient route? Should I keep training or grind for a Reset Bag?
Btw, the Starly has Pokérus.
Thanks!
Edit: It didn't take me that long to find a Reset Bae Reset Bag, so I can safely EV my Starly in non-HP stats. Thanks anyway!

Last edited:
Hi! I have this Starly that I'm training to SR for legendaries, and right now I want to level it up. However, there's something I'm having an issue with.
My original plan was to get 132 EVs on it, level it up the level after it got Final Gambit to evolve it, evolve it again and catch Thundurus, level it up to level 54 and catch Ho-Oh, add 112 more HP EVs, level it up to level 67 and proceed to catch Zygarde.
The problem is that I'm having trouble giving it EXP without messing up the EVs. There are only 3 Pokémon in the XY League with Speed EV yields (the other stat I'm going for). What would be the most efficient route? Should I keep training or grind for a Reset Bag?
Btw, the Starly has Pokérus.
Thanks!
Edit: It didn't take me that long to find a Reset Bae Reset Bag, so I can safely EV my Starly in non-HP stats. Thanks anyway!
Zubat and Taillow hordes are pretty easy to find. I'd only recommend using a Reset Bag if you've royally messed up the EV's, as you've better control on the EV's you'd like to remove by using the EV-reducing berries, which remove 10 EV's in the corresponding stat at a time. I'd also recommend fully EV training it before leveling it up, getting the HP stat to where it's needed (usually maxing out Speed unless you're using it to also check Speed with Intimidate) and putting the rest in a third stat, then adjusting the EV's as needed once you're satisfied with the first catch.

Is it possible to view the current numerical EV value in Super Training, or are you only limited to the yellow indicator stretching from each stat to represent the value?

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Is it possible to view the current numerical EV value in Super Training, or are you only limited to the yellow indicator stretching from each stat to represent the value?
You can save your game and use a reset bag to view the numbers for a few seconds after it removes the EVs, but there is no way to view them normally. Make sure to reset the game afterward to regain your EVs.

You can save your game and use a reset bag to view the numbers for a few seconds after it removes the EVs, but there is no way to view them normally. Make sure to reset the game afterward to regain your EVs.
Ah, I see. Thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)