A Guide to EV Training with Hordes

here is a tip:
When you are horde battling for EV's, like for example: Wingull hordes for speed (w Power Anklet).
You can just stay battling Wingulls after maxing the speed EV's and change into another Power Item.
The Wingulls still give you the EV's of that new Power Item, minus 5.

Sometimes I find it easier just to battle the same hordes instead of flying to a different route

You only have to do one horde more to get the same EV's:

Horde + power item + Pokerus
((1 + 4) * 5 ) * 2 = 50 EV's -> 5 hordes for 250 EV's

Horde(max EV) + power item + Pokerus
(4 * 5) * 2 = 40 EV's -> 6.25 hordes for 250 EV's

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I'm not sure if the OP isn't clear or if it's me that's having an issue understanding it..

If my Pokemon is holding the respective EV power item, and is infected with Pokerus, how many EVs will it gain from a horde that gives 5 EVs? And what about 10 EVs?

Route 12
[Common] Wingull - 5 Spe Total
[Uncommon] Mareep - 5 SpA Total
[Rare] Tauros x4 (1 Atk + 1 Spe) / Miltank x1 (2 Def) - 4 Atk + 2 Def + 4 Spe Total
Am I the Only one who keeps finding more Mareeps than Wingulls? found at least 1 Wingull hordes and 3 Mareep hordes, and this is my 8th or 9th time using this route ._.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm not sure if the OP isn't clear or if it's me that's having an issue understanding it..

If my Pokemon is holding the respective EV power item, and is infected with Pokerus, how many EVs will it gain from a horde that gives 5 EVs? And what about 10 EVs?
A horde that gives 5 EVs does so because each of the 5 pokemon gives 1 EV for their particular stat (eg: horde of Vanillite: 5 x 1 SpA = 5 SpA).
A horde that gives 10 EVs is because each of the 5 Pokemon give 2 EVs for their respective stat (eg: horde of Weepinbell: 5 x 2 Attack = 10)

Power items and PKRS apply to each pokemon you defeat individually. So if you have a Charmander that you're training in Special Attack infected with PKRS and holding a Power Lens and defeat a horde of Vanillite the formula would be:

5 x ((1 + 4) x 2 ) = 50

1 EV + 4 from the power item x 2 from PKRS x 5 Vanillish.

For Pokemon that give 2 EVs for a certain stat (eg: Weepinbell give 2 Attack) just swap that in:

5 x ((2 + 4) x 2 ) = 60

And like Mieel said, you can continue fighting the same horde once you have maxed out that specific stat and just switch up the Power Item. So you would earn 40 EVs from that:

5 x ((0 + 4) x 2 ) = 40

(eg: after reaching 252 Speed from Wingull hordes, swap a Power Bracer onto your Gible to train it's Attack)

So the way I do it is infect Gible with PKRS, equip Power Anklet, turn Exp. Share on, fight 5 Wingull hordes (250 Speed EVs), swap the Anklet for Bracer, kill 6 more hordes (240 Attack EVs, would have picked up the remaining 2 Speed EVs on your 6th total horde battle). Now you can kill a 7th horde to max out Attack at 252, or finish it in Super Training, whatever floats your boat... So it will take 11 Battles doing this to reach 240 Attack and 252 Speed, or 12 battles to max them out, then you just have to pick up the remaining 6 EVs somewhere for your Gible to be fully trained (easily done in Super Training)

Hope this helped!

While it would be easy to use the method that you're suggesting instead of flying to a different route, you waste the extra stat point by doing this. You will gain the 4 EVs per Pokémon with the power item attached, but the cap per stat is 255, not 252, so you'll still gain 3 EVs that the Pokémon you're fighting gives naturally.

In your example with Wingull, you can fight with the power item and Pokerus to reach 252 in Speed, then swap to the Attack Power item (Bracer? idk) and continue fighting Wingull, but you'll gain 3 more EVs in Speed when doing this, and so your final EV spread will look something like 255 Speed, 252 Attack, and 3 in whatever else you dump it in, but you miss out on the final stat point by not doing your homework and moving to another Route. There is a viable location for each stat, so there's really no reason to skimp and screw up your spread.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
A horde that gives 5 EVs does so because each of the 5 pokemon gives 1 EV for their particular stat (eg: horde of Vanillite: 5 x 1 SpA = 5 SpA).
A horde that gives 10 EVs is because each of the 5 Pokemon give 2 EVs for their respective stat (eg: horde of Weepinbell: 5 x 2 Attack = 10)

Power items and PKRS apply to each pokemon you defeat individually. So if you have a Charmander that you're training in Special Attack infected with PKRS and holding a Power Lens and defeat a horde of Vanillite the formula would be:

5 x ((1 + 4) x 2 ) = 50

1 EV + 4 from the power item x 2 from PKRS x 5 Vanillish.

For Pokemon that give 2 EVs for a certain stat (eg: Weepinbell give 2 Attack) just swap that in:

5 x ((2 + 4) x 2 ) = 60

And like Mieel said, you can continue fighting the same horde once you have maxed out that specific stat and just switch up the Power Item. So you would earn 40 EVs from that:

5 x ((0 + 4) x 2 ) = 40

(eg: after reaching 252 Speed from Wingull hordes, swap a Power Bracer onto your Gible to train it's Attack)

So the way I do it is infect Gible with PKRS, equip Power Anklet, turn Exp. Share on, fight 5 Wingull hordes (250 Speed EVs), swap the Anklet for Bracer, kill 6 more hordes (240 Attack EVs, would have picked up the remaining 2 Speed EVs on your 6th total horde battle). Now you can kill a 7th horde to max out Attack at 252, or finish it in Super Training, whatever floats your boat... So it will take 11 Battles doing this to reach 240 Attack and 252 Speed, or 12 battles to max them out, then you just have to pick up the remaining 6 EVs somewhere for your Gible to be fully trained (easily done in Super Training)

Hope this helped!
It helped a ton, thanks. I didn't understand the part about continuing to EV train a Pokemon using just 1 type of hordes.. 11 battles means 11 Earthquakes/Rock Slides.. that's not hard, thanks :)

While it would be easy to use the method that you're suggesting instead of flying to a different route, you waste the extra stat point by doing this. You will gain the 4 EVs per Pokémon with the power item attached, but the cap per stat is 255, not 252, so you'll still gain 3 EVs that the Pokémon you're fighting gives naturally.
The cap was changed from 255 to 252 in XY, that's why the method is ideal.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
It helped a ton, thanks. I didn't understand the part about continuing to EV train a Pokemon using just 1 type of hordes.. 11 battles means 11 Earthquakes/Rock Slides.. that's not hard, thanks :)

The cap was changed from 255 to 252 in XY, that's why the method is ideal.
yeah it's super easy. just make sure you swap the power items around. you can use the super training screen to see you're progress (the graph fills up as you go) and use bags to see if a stat is maxed (if you use an Attack Bag-S and it says it wont work, it means your attack is maxed out)

and yeah kingbattlus the new cap is 252 per stat, so much easier now. Gamefreak must have figured out how math works

It just seems like the Mime Jr. horde is unreliable. I triggered hordes in Reflection Cave and got pretty much all Roggenrola and very few Mime Jr. Therefore, I believe Route 7 is the better place to train Special Defense with the Hoppip hordes. That's just me, though.

yeah it's super easy. just make sure you swap the power items around. you can use the super training screen to see you're progress (the graph fills up as you go) and use bags to see if a stat is maxed (if you use an Attack Bag-S and it says it wont work, it means your attack is maxed out)

and yeah kingbattlus the new cap is 252 per stat, so much easier now. Gamefreak must have figured out how math works
So holding a power item gives EVs to the relevant stat regardless of what EVs the mon you're fighting gives? If so, that's awesome and I never knew it. I've been switching routes (which isn't so bad I guess).

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
So holding a power item gives EVs to the relevant stat regardless of what EVs the mon you're fighting gives? If so, that's awesome and I never knew it. I've been switching routes (which isn't so bad I guess).
yes you get them in addition to the EVs you already get from the wild Pokemon, so it is possible to train 2 stats at once, or change which stat you want to train if you have maxed out the stat the horde gives you

someone help.. if i dont have pokerus but all the power items how much battles do i have to complete to max my ev's?

aVocado

@ Everstone
someone help.. if i dont have pokerus but all the power items how much battles do i have to complete to max my ev's?
5 (1+4) = 25

252/25 = 10.08

10 hordes will give you 250 EVs in one stat, assuming you're using power item without pokerus. You can fill the remaining 2 in another horde battle or super training.

That's assuming the horde Pokemon give you 1 EV each and not 2, if 2;

5 (2+4) = 30

252/30 = 8.4

About 9 hordes to maximize one stat.

You might want to change the "horde battles will not activate under rainy weather". Horde battles can occur during rainy weather, just not through sweet scent or Honey.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I'm currently working to update this (both aesthetically and informatively). Let me know if there is anything you think needs to be added.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I condensed/simplified some of the information at the top, added images for each horde battle, simplified the EV gains per battle, and added a rain icon
to routes that can be rainy.

My. God. This is the single most helpful thing I've seen on Horde Battles, and the new update makes it better (Moving the Best Hordes to the top, adding sprites and such). Another reccomendation (it's pretty obvious) is to turn off battle animations, they stack up. A lot.

Anyone have any ideas what i am doing wrong? im training my gligar in terminus cave, and it is saying my gligar is getting SPdef and Def equally? all i have fought are durant hordes no meatmor's or other pokes, no clue what is up...

Nvm im just an idiot and put the wrong power item on the guy. FailFish

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)