Other A Guide to Lures in ORAS OU

Status
Not open for further replies.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
approved by Haunter
XY Version by doughboy

Lures are pokemon that are specifically designed to draw in their usual checks and counters, and then cripple or KO them in order to benefit another sweeper on your team. While lures are not particularly common on the ladder, due to the fact you can face an opponent multiple times in a short period of time, they are very common in tournament matches. Oftentimes in tournaments you only face an opponent once. So the effectiveness of the lure is not compromised in reaching your end goal (i.e. one win, vs multiple, consistent wins on the ladder). This isn't to say that lures aren't effective on the ladder, as the lures you should be using should still be consistent enough to win multiple games (more on this latter).

What discourages most people from using lures is how they are the most difficult sets to play with in pokemon. Using a lure obligates you to play a certain way during a match. In addition, it is hard to judge when to break from that playstyle or when to strike against the pokemon you are luring in. Lures are also difficult sets to design. First, you have to make sure the lure will play similar enough to draw your target pokemon. Second, you have to make sure the lure will play consistently enough that if the target Pokemon is not on your opponent's team, your lure will still be able to pull its own weight. Here you can find some effective lures in OU, effective partners to those lures, and an ideas to help you design your own lure in the future.

While lures can be hard to use, they are some of the most fun sets to use if you can pull them effectively. So let's get started!

What makes a bad lure?
A bad lure is one that is either overly specialized and / or lessens the amount of targets it can hit effectively in exchange for hitting a single target effectively. If you specialize your lure too much, it becomes a non threat to a larger amount of pokemon and only to the pokemon you are targeting. It will only be effective if the pokemon you are targeting is in the match, which is less likely to happen when you consider you might be going into a single battle for a tournament. Here is an example of a bad lure:

Gyarados (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature (+Atk, -SDef)
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Stone Edge
- Fire Blast

Gyarados with Fire Blast sounds pretty swell, since it now has the ability to 2HKO Skarmory and Ferrothorn, two of its biggest counters. On closer inspection, however, you can see that Fire Blast Gyarados has severe problems. First, just about any Water-type in OU can easily check or counter Gyarados without a more reliable STAB in Bounce or a more consistent Earthquke. The same situation occurs with grass-types that are not overtly weak to Fire Blast (ex. Trevnant, Celebi) or Dragons not weak to Stone Edge (Latios, Latias, Hydreigon). Second, you can achieve a 2HKO on Ferrothorn with Bounce with some prior damage and Skarmory with Waterfall with some prior damage at +1.

+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Gyarados Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 153-183 (45.8 - 54.79%) -- 98.05% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Gyarados Bounce vs. 252 HP / 48+ Def Ferrothorn: 200-238 (56.81 - 67.61%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
*needs Spikes for Ferrothorn accounting for Lefties on two turns attack but you get the point

The only way to OHKO either with Fire Blast with SR is to have max special attack with a positive nature. But at that point, you compromised the effectiveness of your physical moves to sweep with DD way too much. Overall your "power output" for Fire Blast of your physical moves will be too small.

Here, you sacrificed too much overall effectiveness for the sake of hitting two targets while specialized. In addition, your "lure" could have worn down the same counters just as well without a luring move in Fire Blast. You also lost some bulk in the process by choosing to go with a nature that decreases sp. def in order to preserve Fire Blast's power. To sum up, you just have a less effective Pokemon.

Here is an example that is fairly well known:

Freeze-Dry Mamoswine

Mamoswine (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Thick Fat
EVs: 240 Atk / 16 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake
- Freeze-Dry

Mamoswine this gen seemingly is countered by Rotom-W. Freeze-Dry Mamoswine can actually just get by physically defensive Rotom-W with a small amount of investment in special attack. Since Freeze-Dry is super-effective against Water-types, Rotom-W is hit harder than any other move in Mamoswine's movepool. Freeze-Dry is a 2HKO on Rotom-W after SR. Since you are only using a small amount of special attack investment, you don't detract away much from Mamoswine's overall power output. This Mamoswine really gets through teams that rely on the Rotom-W + Landorus-T combo to act as pivots.

Partners: Talonflame, Mega Pinsir, Landorus-T

If you have a lure that'd you'd like to share, post it here and if there is enough reasoning behind it; and it isnt too gimmicky, it will be added to the archive below n_n
Also, it is very helpful to post some calcs to back up a lure, but dont post too many or at least use hide tags.

Last edited:
Hi, iam here to present a realy good lure.
That lure is Power herb Solar Beam Heatran.

Heatran @ Power Herb
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Magma Storm
- Flash Cannon
- Earth Power
- Solar Beam

So i will explain why i choosed this lure, so i was doing a talonflame team, and i saw that i didnt had a Rotom-W answer, than i saw that i had a scarf landorus-t that i didnt need so i changed Lando-T to a Defensive one and, changed this set to lure Rotom-W basically, the set is Double stab couverage and a lure, Solar beam OHKO Rotom-W after Rocks, get some damage to hippowdon and Landorus-T basicaly the Talonflame checks.
I think that this is a good lure because people dont see this set very much, and its not like earthquake Lati@s or HP Fire.
Hopefully showed a good lure.

Last edited:

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Gyarados @ Cheri Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 8 HP / 252 Atk / 248 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Bounce
- Natural Gift

The really cool thing about this Gyarados is that Cheri Berry serves a dual purpose, as it blocks paralysis, which is especially annoying from the likes of Thundurus-I, and lures Ferrothorn with an 80 BP physical Fire-type move. You could run Watmel for the 100 BP move, but Cheri does enough to everything regardless and healing paralysis is really useful for Gyarados, so I'd say it's the superior option.

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hi, iam here to present a realy good lure.
That lure is Power herb Solar Beam Heatran.

Heatran @ Power Herb
Ability: Flash Fire
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Flash Cannon
- Earth Power
- Solar Beam

So i will explain why i choosed this lure, so i was doing a talonflame team, and i saw that i didnt had a Rotom-W answer, than i saw that i had a scarf landorus-t that i didnt need so i changed Lando-T to a Defensive one and, changed this set to lure Rotom-W basically, the set is Double stab couverage and a lure, Solar beam OHKO Rotom-W after Rocks, get some damage to hippowdon and Landorus-T basicaly the Talonflame checks.
I think that this is a good lure because people dont see this set very much, and its not like earthquake Lati@s or HP Fire.
Hopefully showed a good lure.
If you're gonna use this, your best bet is to go Magma Storm > Fire Blast. Not only does it ensure that you're guaranteed to get off the solar beam (since you trap them and they have no way of scouting), but it's also useful in that you get the switch initiative due to the fact that they can't switch out that turn (think switching in Keldeo vs. Lando t, etc). Also it gets chip damage on things, which more than makes up for The slight loss in power.

lure Victini:

Victini @ Expert Belt
Ability: Victory Star
Hasty Nature
- V-create
- Bolt Strike
- Grass Knot
- Glaciate

V-create stab pretty obvious destroys everything

bolt strike for waters

Grass knot for those other pesky waters like swampert, gastrodon, and perhaps your biggest nemesis quagsire.

glaciate for pesky ground types. EX Lando-T, Garchomp also lowering speed is quite useful.

Very good coverages many things die to it. Main reason to use over band it grass knot lets you beat those certain water types. Expert belt eases prediction

Last edited:

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
lure Victini:
Victini @ Expert Belt
Ability: Victory Star
Hasty Nature
- V-create
- Bolt Strike
- Grass Knot
- Glaciate

V-create stab

bolt strike for waters

Grass knot for those other pesky waters

glaciate for pesky ground types.

Very good coverages many things die to it.
Do you mind adding a picture and some more description to that? Would make it look much better, thanks.

p2

Banned deucer.

Starmie @ Life Orb
Ability: Analytic
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Spa / 30 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Rapid Spin / Ice Beam

HP Fire Starmie can be used to lure in Ferrothorns who would otherwise counter Starmie, and has a decent chance of OHKO'ing if Spikes are up, a much lower chance with SR however.

Of course, using HP Fire does have its drawbacks
  • You're guaranteed to lose speed ties against Mega Houndoom, Raikou and other Starmie
  • You lose out on Rapid Spin or Coverage / STAB
Despite this, HP Fire does have it's use and can be an effective lure.
252 SpA Life Orb Analytic Starmie Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 286-338 (81.2 - 96%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Life Orb Analytic Starmie Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 286-338 (81.2 - 96%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after 1 layer of Spikes (Guaranteed after Spikes and SR)

Last edited:

Celebi @ Expert Belt/Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 80 HP / 252 SpA / 176 Spe
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Recover
- Earth Power
- Psychic/Hidden Power [Fire]

Expert Belt>Life Orb to preserve the element of surprise. For example, if you Giga Drain early game and take Life Orb damage, chances are Bisharp will start throwing Sucker Punches around or Heatran will not stay in on the incoming Earth Power. Leftovers can be used if more bulk is needed but usually the extra oomph from Expert Belt is appreciated to secure KOs.

EVs: Creeps Timid Tran so you can hit it with Earth Power with the spare EVs in HP just for random bulk. If you want to get fancy and run more bulk, pick a benchmark such as OHKOing Bisharp and then slap the rest into HP. For example (148 HP / 184 SpA / 176 Spe). Go nuts!

• 252+ SpA Expert Belt Celebi Earth Power vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Bisharp: 288-341 (105.8 - 125.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
  • 252+ SpA Expert Belt Celebi Earth Power vs. 248 HP / 60 SpD Heatran: 389-461 (101 - 119.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
  • 252+ SpA Expert Belt Celebi Earth Power vs. 248 HP / 192+ SpD Heatran: 317-374 (82.3 - 97.1%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
  • 252+ SpA Expert Belt Celebi Psychic vs. 232 HP / 4 SpD Mega Venusaur: 276-326 (76.8 - 90.8%) -- 25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
  • 252+ SpA Expert Belt Celebi Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 221-264 (62.7 - 75%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
  • 252+ SpA Expert Belt Celebi Hidden Power Fire vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Mega Scizor: 293-346 (85.4 - 100.8%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Why it works: Standard Celebi is fairly defensive and runs Giga Drain, Recover, Baton Pass + 1 out of Nasty Plot/Substitute/Perish Song/Calm Mind/Stealth Rock/Twave which means the above mons easily switch into Celebi and either threaten it, set up hazards or boost up on it. An Expert Belt boosted Super Effective attack on the other hand can catch them off guard and take them out while they expect you to simply Baton Pass out.

Disclaimer: Not my set but i've seen a few people using it recently.

Last edited:

bludz

a waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Both of the following sets aren't new or relatively unknown, but do their job quite well.

It's been mentioned so I figured I'd do a write up for lure Latios. It's common enough to the point that most people know of it, but uncommon enough that Heatran will still stay in a fair amount of the time.

Latios @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
Hasty Nature (+Spe, -Def)
EVs: 252 Spe / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock / Hidden Power Fire
- Earthquake
- Defog / Hidden Power Fire / Roost

The idea is simple: Heatran is one of the best pokemon at absorbing Latios' Life Orb Draco Meteor. So after Heatran comes in to take a Draco Meteor, you use Earthquake to knock it out. Earthquake has a 87.5% chance to KO specially defensive Heatran after Stealth Rocks, so it's a guaranteed KO after a Draco Meteor. Earthquake also allows you to knock out any Choice Scarf Tyranitar that switches in on Draco Meteor and uses Pursuit -- which won't knock you out if you stay in -- although your chance of surviving this encounter is slim due to Sandstorm and Life Orb damage.

Ferrothorn and Skarmory can absorb Draco Meteor and Psyshock easily so they are usually thought of as safe switch ins to Latios, but Hidden Power Fire allows you to 2HKO both. After revealing either Earthquake or HP Fire, your opponent will often assume you don't have both so you can act as a lure twice.

Here are the calcs for Tyranitar:
252 Atk Tyranitar Pursuit vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Latios: 182-216 (60.8 - 72.2%)

252 SpA Life Orb Latios Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 185-218 (54.2 - 63.9%)
0 Atk Life Orb Latios Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Tyranitar: 159-187 (46.6 - 54.8%)

A min roll on each still nets 100.8% damage on Tyranitar

Here's another set that can function as a lure:

Talonflame @ Leftovers
Ability: Gale Wings
Careful Nature (+SpD, -SpA)
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
- Brave Bird
- Taunt
- Roost
- Will-O-Wisp

This is not strictly a lure, but Talonflame's stallbreaker set effectively lures and cripples many of the checks to its offensive sets. Talonflame's ability to demolish teams with CB or SD sets forces opponents to bring out their best counter to the offensive variants right away.

Will-O-Wisp cripples Tyranitar, Rocky Helmet Garchomp and common checks such as Landorus-T and Gyarados that switch in to Intimidate Talonflame. The spread also allows you to beat any Heatran not carrying a rock type move 1v1. A combination of Will-O-Wisp and Taunt cripples Hippowdon pretty well. Rotom-W is still an unfavorable matchup though.

Last edited:
bludz it might be worth mentioning both HP Fire + Earthquake in the same Latios set (i.e Draco Meteor, Earthquake, Hidden Power Fire, Roost/Defog for example). After you reveal one of either HP Fire OR Earthquake, your opponent usually feels safe that you don't have the other. i.e. Catching Ferrothorn with HP Fire will lure your opponent into bringing in Tran which you can then eliminate with Earthquake and vice versa. This would be awesome support for something like mono attacking Mega Altaria (DD, Frustration, Roost, Heal Bell/Substitute). I believe this set is in a Victory Road thread but it's worth mentioning here.

Diggersby @ Life Orb
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fire Punch
- Earthquake
- Return
- Quick Attack

Fire Punch Diggersby is a great lure for Steel types, most notably Skarmory and Ferrothon, able to 2HKO the former after rocks and OHKO the latter. This clears the way for teammates like DD Mega Altaria, DD Gyarados, SD Mega Scizor and others to sweep.

252+ Atk Life Orb Huge Power Diggersby Fire Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 159-187 (47.6 - 55.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Life Orb Huge Power Diggersby Fire Punch vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 374-442 (106.2 - 125.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Jukain and Invok3r the fire blast gyara is used as an example of a bad lure so of course it is outclassed lol the op didn't keep its originally formatting / font sizes so you see "example of a bad lure"

Also I am putting in a mention EQ Latios, it is still relevant and is great for luring in Heatran for Clefable and the like
I wouldnt say EQ is a lure anymore, its a fairly standard move on lati now and most mediocre and above players should have the common sense to scout for it, same with HP Fire

bludz

a waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
bludz it might be worth mentioning both HP Fire + Earthquake in the same Latios set (i.e Draco Meteor, Earthquake, Hidden Power Fire, Roost/Defog for example). After you reveal one of either HP Fire OR Earthquake, your opponent usually feels safe that you don't have the other. i.e. Catching Ferrothorn with HP Fire will lure your opponent into bringing in Tran which you can then eliminate with Earthquake and vice versa. This would be awesome support for something like mono attacking Mega Altaria (DD, Frustration, Roost, Heal Bell/Substitute). I believe this set is in a Victory Road thread but it's worth mentioning here.
Great idea, I added it in.

Bisharp @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Aerial Ace
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head

Keldeo is everywhere and it usually freely switches into Bisharp, no-problem. But it doesn't switch into this set freely. Aerial Ace Bisharp is a fantastic lure to the musketeer, taking off a clean 60% minimum. This means, a combination of Life Orb Sucker Punch + Aerial Ace can actually take out Keldeo after just a bit of damage (Sucker does 30-36). Another thing this lures is Chesnaught, and Bish 2HKO's it. Amazing.

252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Aerial Ace vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Chesnaught: 234-276 (61.5 - 72.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Aerial Ace vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Keldeo: 200-237 (61.9 - 73.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Keldeo @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Scald
- Hidden Power Flying / Hidden Power Bug

HP Flying is mainly to lure stuff like Amoonguss and Venusaur, which can easily wall Keldeo. It can also hit Celebi, which is rising in popularity. HP Bug hits Celebi harder than HP Flying, hits Starmie, Slowbro and Slowbro Mega, Mega Gyarados, and the Lati twins.

Last edited:

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus

Keldeo @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Scald
- Hidden Power Flying

HP Flying is mainly to lure stuff like Amoonguss and Venusaur, which can easily wall Keldeo. It can also hit Celebi, which is rising in popularity.
Slash HP Bug; hits Celebi harder while also hitting Starmie, (Mega) Slowbro, Mega Gyarados, and Latis (though you'll have to switch out anyway).

jpw234

Catastrophic Event Specialist

Latias @ Leftovers/Latiasite
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Whirlpool
- Reflect Type
- Roost
- A whole bunch of possibilities

This Latias lures Bisharp, Heatran, Ferrothorn, Tyranitar, Excadrill, and more, and either weakens or kills them by trapping them with Whirlpool and negating the effectiveness of their attacks with Reflect Type. The fourth moveslot has a bunch of viable options, including:
Draco Meteor, Dragon Pulse, Psyshock, Surf, Thunderbolt, Earthquake, Thunder Wave, Healing Wish, Defog, HP Fire...Past this it starts to get really gimmicky, but Magic Coat/Psywave/Icy Wind/Roar are ideas.

My personal favorites are Psyshock (to remain an effective answer to Mega-Venusaur and Keldeo), Defog (for utility) and Thunder Wave (for a lot of utility against e.g. Gengar, Mega-Metagross, Mega-Lopunny).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)