1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

A Hippo, A Jelly, A Blob, and 2 Genies: A sand team

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by Fallen Icarus, Apr 8, 2013.

1. Fallen Icarus

Fallen Icarus

Hello and welcome to my rmt.
    As you can see based on the title, it's a sand team, and its one of my favorites.
    After playing with sand teams for a while, and with a life's worth of defeats and almost as much wins, I finally came to this team.

At a glance~

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Show Hide
    Hippowdon @ Leftovers
    Trait: Sand Stream
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
    Impish Nature
    - Stealth Rock
    - Earthquake
    - Slack Off
    - Whirlwind

Jellicent @ Leftovers
    Trait: Water Absorb
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SDef
    Calm Nature
    - Recover
    - Scald
    - Toxic
    - Shadow Ball

Thundurus-Therian (M) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Volt Absorb
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Modest Nature
    - Agility
    - Thunderbolt
    - Focus Blast
    - Grass Knot

Terrakion @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Justified
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    Adamant Nature
    - Close Combat
    - Stone Edge
    - X-Scissor
    - Earthquake

Reuniclus @ Life Orb
    Trait: Magic Guard
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
    Quiet Nature
    IVs: 30 Atk / 30 SAtk / 2 Spd
    - Trick Room
    - Focus Blast
    - Psychic
    - Hidden Power [Fire]

Landorus (M) @ Expert Belt
    Trait: Sand Force
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Naive Nature
    - Earthquake
    - Stone Edge
    - U-turn
    - Hidden Power [Ice]

[​IMG]

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
    Trait: Sand Stream
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
    Impish Nature
    - Stealth Rock
    - Earthquake
    - Slack Off
    - Whirlwind

Case 1: Dem Hippos(Hippowdon)
    Every OU weather team needs a good weather inducer; for rain its the frog, and for sun its the fox. Yet sand is different in that there is 2 viable weather inducers. Hippowdon and Tyranitar. Each are both useful, but for my team I chose Hippowdon. There were many issues with my previous teams, and I thought of all of them when making this team. One was not being able to stop set-up attacker, and i also needed a Physical wall to deal with many metagame threats, like Scizor or Terrakion. And thus, I turned to Hippowdon. Oh and Tyranitar sucks Nature boosts Def and turns Hippowdon into an even better wall.

The given evs make Hippowdon one of the greatest physical walls in history. There are not much Physical pokemon that can break through a Hippowdon without super effective hits. Alas, this leaves poor Hippo vulnerable to special hits but I do what I can do.

Stealth rocks is almost a necessity in the current metagame, and Hippo was just saddled with it, being a defenensive mon and all. Earthquake is the attack of my choice, allowing me to attack when i have nothing else to do, but it can be useless when up against a flying or levitating pokemon. With Hippowdon's ATK and stab, its a reasonably powerful hit too.
    Whirlwind has helped me lots of times, either taking away a Dragonite's DD boosts, or sending away a flying pokemon that Hippowdon can't deal with, while acculumating SR damage.
    Slack off is there for recovery, and helps Hippowdon survive much longer then without it.

[​IMG]

Jellicent @ Leftovers
    Trait: Water Absorb
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SDef
    Calm Nature
    - Recover
    - Scald
    - Toxic
    - Shadow Ball

Case 2: Dat Stache(Jellicent)

Just look at that mustache! Those overflowing gorgeous locks of white hair, complimented with Jellicent's black eyes and obese blue body... er never mind me. Anyway, in a metagame overrun by Politoeds, Keldeos, and God knows what, it's important to have something that can take those hits. If you don't... well good luck with that. It was a problem on my old team (Yes I know, my old team sucked) and so I'm implementing it here. Other then just absorbing Water attacks, Jellicent has much more uses. It can spinblock, it can stall, it can burn, take down annoying psychic types, etc, etc, etc. Yeah, Jellicent's just that awesome.

By putting these Ev's on, Jellicent is like Hippowdon's other brother. You know what I mean? Jellicent blocks all those nasty special attacks, and Hippowdon block those mean Physical attacks. These two make up the defensive core of my team. But kinda like Hippo, this leaves Jelly open to Physical attacks, such as T-tar's pursuit. I'm hoping Hippo and Jelly even each other out though. Nature boosts the SpD stat, so Jelly can be a even better wall.

Recover does what it does best; and that is to make Jellicent last longer. Scald and Shadow ball are my attacking moves of choice, Shadow ball hitting Latias, Latios, Starmie, and others hard, while Scald's burn chance can hinder some pokemon, while giving a good stab. Toxic is for when up against another stalling monster, such as Chansey or its fat sister Blissey.

[​IMG]

Thundurus-Therian (M) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Volt Absorb
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Modest Nature
    - Agility
    - Thunderbolt
    - Focus Blast
    - Grass Knot

Case 3: Weird genie animal numero 1 (Thundurus Therian)

As I was looking up special attackers to complete my team, this Genie caught my eye. He had an ginormous special stat, a great ability, a terrific movepool? So what stopped him from making every team? Apparently, it was his movepool. In an effort to make up for that, i made an Agility set for Thundurus-Therian. Thundurus gives me immunity to electric moves, yet he's mostly used for countering the ever present water types, flying types, and straight up sweeping once he's got the agility up. It's easier done then said if I switch into the right pokemon.

The Ev's are really just the regular sweeper set. Max attacking evs for the power, and max speed for outrunning pokemon. Yay Thundurus! More power is better, and with Agility boosting speed, Modest was the best choice.

Agility is the crux of the set, providing the seed boost Thundurus needs so badly. Like I said, It's not overly hard setting agility up. Once its up... GG. However Thundurus is extremely frail, and with LO and Sand damage, plus the possibility that Thundurus is statused, He isn't going to last long. But, there's not much we can do about that. The other three moves provide coverage, Thunderbolt being the stab move of choice, Focus blast, while inaccurate, deals with some threats quite easily, and grass knot impeccably takes care of gastrodons and other annoying pokemon.

Three down, Three more to go!

[​IMG]

Case 4: I'm running out of names.. Rock'n'rolling Killer

Terrakion @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Justified
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    Adamant Nature
    - Close Combat
    - Stone Edge
    - X-Scissor
    - Earthquake

Terrakion is one of the best pokemon of the OU metagame, no matter how much you hate it or love it. I, personally love it. For this particular team, I have chosen it to be a revenge killer. It excells in this job, smiting weakened fores with its Stone edge and Close Combat. With sandstorm support, it able to survive a surf or two, which is one of the benefits of putting Terrakion on a sandstorm team.

I'm so boring that I had Terrakion use a regular choice scarf ev spread. Yeah... Most of them except some are going to be like this... sorry. Speed boosting is not required on a scarf set, so i went with adamant.

Terrakion has one of the best stabs in the whole pokemon universe, and thus he only has to pick and choose which move he is going to kill his foe with. Cower in fear, all ye unfaithful... Close Combat and Stone edge is really all he needs, so EQ and X-scissor is just extra fluff.

[​IMG]

Reuniclus @ Life Orb
    Trait: Magic Guard
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
    Quiet Nature
    IVs: 30 Atk / 30 SAtk / 2 Spd
    - Trick Room
    - Focus Blast
    - Psychic
    - Hidden Power [Fire]

Case 5: The Blob

The weird mushy thing. The most powerful of them all. The one who can rip through incompetent fools arrogant enough to think they can take on him. Reuniclus. Spouting the power unparelled by any other, Reuniclus is very, very powerful, and cannot be take likely by its foe. Reuniclus also performs admirably in weather, and can also function as a status absorber once poisoned or something. Once this blob gets TR up and going, there's no stopping him.

To function well in TR, I need Reuniclus to be as slow as possible. But also wanted HP fire, so i adjusted the Iv's to accommodate for that. The other ivs give Blob the bulk he is known for, and gives him an amazing attacking ability as well. The quiet nature helps Blob become even slower while boosting his SpA.

Trick room allows Reuniclus to support himself. There's not much slower then a Reuniclus, and so it allows Blob to be fast and powerful. The other moves give Reuniclus coverage, and the HP fire dispatches steels, grass-types, and bugs such as Scizor, Breloom, and other relevant threats.

[​IMG]

Landorus (M) @ Expert Belt
    Trait: Sand Force
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Naive Nature
    - Earthquake
    - Stone Edge
    - U-turn
    - Hidden Power [Ice]

Case 6: Dis genie (Landorus)

To end my extremely long post, here is Landy! I used to have gliscor in here, but as gliscor was being next to useless, I scrapped him. Just like a Miltank. (It's okay if you don't get this joke) To put it simply, Landorus is the guy I go to when I need to take care of some threats, or scout. Is there a Garchomp that is being more annoying then usual? Send in Landy, use HP ice, and its gone. Need to scout for the opponents reaction to my moves? Send in Landy and use U-turn.

The Given ev's boost both his special attacking and physical attacking, while his nature boost his speed without taking it out on an attacking stat. Expert belt helps in feigning a choice item as well, and fits well with U-turn.

The following moves provide coverage, and allow Landorus to take care of specialized threats. Yeah.

Well that's it! What do you think? Questions, comment, concerns, suggestions, anything is fine!
  2. deadflame

deadflame

Dude, amazing team! Not much to add here. You might want to give Jellicient 36 Defense EVS to avoid the 2HKO from Starmie's Psyshock. Just a thought. It wouldn't take very much at all from it's Special Bulk, either. Also, you may want to use Calm Mind Reuniclus instead, as Thundurus-T and Landorus-T are fast. I would also change Landorus-T to Landorus-I, as he's very much the superior choice in Sand.
  3. Fallen Icarus

Fallen Icarus

Thanks for rating my team! I'll definitely try out those changes. The reason i like running TR reuniclus is that it can set up relatively quickly yet still sweep. Regardless, I want to go and try the CM set too.

Also, I'm pretty sure I'm running a regular landorus but i was an idiot and actually did the therian version... xD

EDIT: changed the picture to match my actual set...
  4. Cinco Diablo

Cinco Diablo

Hi there!

Pretty cool team you're using here, I especially like the use of 2 very underrated threats in the OU metagame, in Offenseive Trick Room Reuniclus, and Expert Belt Landorus, so huge props to you for using both of them. However, there are some flaws that this team has, and with my rate, it can become even better when all of those flaws are ironed out. With all that said, let's get to my rate! Okay, first up, I would like to suggest running a spread of 252 HP / 36 Def / 220 SpD on your Jellicent over your current EV spread. This EV spread gives Jellicent the maximum special bulk it needs, while the 36 Defense EV's ensure that Starmie will never 2HKO this guy with Psyshock. Up next, I would like to recommend running Hidden Power Ice replacing Grass Knot on your current Thundurus-T. With Hidden Power Ice, Thundurus-T is able to hit Gliscor, Dragonite, Garchomp, Salamence, and has very good neutral coverage along with Focus Blast and Thunderbolt. Also, I would like to suggest running a Timid Nature over your current Modest Nature. With a Timid Nature, Thundurus-T outspeeds unboosted Volcarona, Salamence, as well as Jirachi, and to speed tie against opposing Landorus. Moving on with your team, I would like to suggest running Rock Slide over your current choice of Earthquake on Terrakion. Rock Slide provides an excellent secondary STAB, as Earthquake has redundand coverage with Close Combat. Rock Slide's chance to flinch is also a plus here. Up next on your team, I would definitely run a spread of 192 HP / 64 Def / 252 SpA over your current spread on Reuniclus. Staying on Reuniclus, I would recommend running Shadow Ball over your current choice of Hidden Power Fire. With Shadow Ball, Reuniclus is able to hits many Psychic types very hard, especially the Lati Twins. Well, that's about all I have to say for this team. I hope my advice helped. Have fun and good luck in your future endeavours!

TL;DR (open)
    TL;DR (open)

• Jellicent [​IMG]:252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD -> 252 HP / 36 Def / 220 SpD
    • Thundurus-T [​IMG]:​
    • Modest -> Timid​
    • Grass Knot -> Hidden Power Ice​
    • Terrakion [​IMG]: Earthquake -> Rock Slide​
    • Reuniclus [​IMG]:​
    • 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD -> 192 HP / 64 Def / 252 SpA​
    • Hidden Power Fire -> Shadow Ball​

~Dr Ciel~
  5. MrEon

MrEon

Hey, great team!
    A little suggestion from my side - you can try Jolly over Adamant on your current Terrakion. It helps you outspeed +1 Volcarona and Scarf Salamence. While you have Jellicent and Hippowdon to check them respectively, if either of them is weakened then you might be in trouble. Oh, it also gives you a 50/50 chance to take out weakened Keldeo with CC, since you speed tie (50/50 is better than 0) and Keldeos don't run Modest.
    Also, Mixed dragons seem to pose a threat, Hydreigon in particular, who can take out anything on your team once it gets in. I recommend putting a steel type like Ferrothorn somewhere, but not sure so maybe you can wait for other rates.
  6. Detective Scruffy

Detective Scruffy

You team seems very balanced overall. I agree with Dr Ciel's proposition of using rock slide over EQ. One thing u might wanna check is ur ice weakness. 3 of ur pokemon(2 of them being sweepers) are weak to ice while you only have 1 resist in Jellicent. This means that Mamoswine can really threaten ur team. I don't know how you could remedy this weakness. It depends on your playstyle.
    Terrakion kinda helps as he can remove mmst ice types but this is a thing u should look out for!
  7. Fallen Icarus

Fallen Icarus

Hello Guys! Thanks for rates

@Dr. Ciel: I'll definitely try those different Iv spreads on my respective pokemon. It doesn't take too much from Jelli, so I'm pretty fine with that, and those defensive ivs may save Reuniclus from a few Physical hits. While rock slide is definetely a good idea, and shadow ball will help me when I'm walled by Latias or something, I'm kinda iffy on the grass knot switch. Taking out Grass knot would leave me more susceptible to gastrodon, a relatively common pokemon. I'll try hp ice out and get back to you.

@MrEon: Outspeeding those threats may be a good thing for my team so I'll give it a shot. Wondering though, Which natures do those mons usually use?
    On the Hydreigon, It may be a problem, but most of my pokemon run a fighting type move, so I'm hoping the Three headed Dragon will be taken out before it can do much.

@Detective Scruffy: Well yes, I'm Jelli can remediate the ice weakness a bit, and i ran the calcs, and Mamoswine isn't too much of a threat. It can't OHKO thundurus with ice shard, Terrakion can murder it, etc. No one even runs Band/Scarf Mamo nowadays as well, but even if they did, at most they can kill one pokemon

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)