A last hurrah

So this is a team I knocked up quickly to check out the post-Jynxpede meta (which, by the way, is so much better to play), and to tide me over until XY NU arrives, which should be soon-ish I guess. Not much else to say, really, it's somewhere between hyper-offense and bulky offense, with a jumbled ragtag of ideas thrown in, mostly not that original on their own. It's (hopefully) not just a really generic-looking team though - I can't be doing with that sort of thing. Anyway, here goes:

A last hurrah

The rock setter

Golem @ Leftovers
- Earthquake
- Rock Blast
- Sucker Punch
- Stealth Rock
Ability: Sturdy
244 HP / 252 Atk / 12 Spe
Adamant Nature
My favourite Stealth Rock user, because, if nothing else, it WILL lay some rocks. I've gone for some bulk over a suicide lead set because players almost certainly anti-lead it if they can, and then if Golem comes in later Sturdy is useless. I've also found the Lum Berry set much less useful when it can no longer be used to lure and defeat anti-lead Jynx any more. However, Leftovers can heal Stealth Rock damage in one turn and reactivate Sturdy, which is great. The bulk also allows me a measure of protection versus the likes of Kangaskhan, which offensive teams generally despise for its ability to get free damage on frail Pokemon. Sucker Punch is used over Explosion to nail Gardevoir, who is a big roadblock to both of my set-up sweepers, Ludicolo (screw Trace) and Gurdurr.

The screener

Ampharos @ Light Clay
- Volt Switch
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Toxic
Ability: Static
252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
Ampharos was incorporated on the team early in its creation, when my set-up sweepers were Vileplume and Combusken, which were frail enough to really require the screens. Ludicolo and Gurdurr are bulky enough not to require them, but surprisingly I still find the screens really useful, because it can enable me to set up versus more offensive teams, and, well, having damage halved for eight turns is a nice thing in general. I've gone for a specially defensive spread because the stats and typing are better suited that way, whatever Smogon says, and also I have no special bulk to speak of otherwise. Volt Switch is crucial to stop being set up on, particularly its ability to break substitutes and switch into a revenge-killer. Toxic over Heal Bell because I'm more bothered about damaging the opponent than healing my teammates. Oh, and Static is really nice and has gotten me some bullshit wins.

The physical sweeper

Gurdurr @ Eviolite
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch
- Mach Punch
- Bulk Up
Ability: Guts
252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
Gurdurr is surprisingly difficult to kill. Really, there's nothing much to say about this set - once it gets rolling, it hits pretty hard, and it's very easy to set up versus stall teams - it's definitely the designated stallbreaker of the side. With Ampharos's screens, I can set it up versus offensive teams too, where its bulk makes it pretty impenetrable. Gurdurr also can also counter (non-Banded) Kangaskhan since it isn't 2HKO'd by Silk Scarf Double-Edge, which is a really nice quality to have. That's also the reason I went with the EV spread I did, over investing in its Special Defense. Guts is also really nice, and against Toxic Spikes teams (though fortunately those things are much rarer without Scolipede) it has proved a massive bonus, since I have no way to remove them.

The special sweeper

Ludicolo @ Life Orb
- Hydro Pump
- Giga Drain
- Ice Beam
- Rain Dance
Ability: Swift Swim
4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
Ludicolo is an absolute beast, becoming faster than almost the entire metagame with one turn of set-up and having plenty of power and bulk. It's so important that quite often my gameplan will consist of targeting Gardevoir, Roselia, Mantine etc, that can stop its sweep cold. But the other great thing is that, unlike Victreebel, which relies on sun completely to function and always had to use Sunny Day the first turn it came in, I can predict a switch to, say, Musharna or Roselia and 2HKO them with Hydro Pump and Ice Beam respectively. In fact, without Ludicolo, I would be at a loss versus Musharna - even Rain Dance's side effect of nerfing Moonlight is really useful to combat it. It is also a competent anti-lead against the likes of Seismitoad and Piloswine, scaring them off and setting up as it does so.

The physical revenge-killer

Braviary @ Choice Scarf
- Brave Bird
- Return
- U-turn
- Superpower
Ability: Defiant
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
It's nice that there is actually some variety in the scarfers used in NU now, where it was either Scarf Jynx or the occasional thing built to beat Scarf Jynx (eg Pursuit Tauros). This thing has a truckload of power, with Brave Bird being amongst the most powerful moves on any scarfer in the tier. It also has a nice VoltTurn synergy with Ampharos, being the fast and the slow one respectively and having types that compliment each other. It also makes for a risky but sometimes worth it switch into the likes of Banded Golurk, switching in on either STAB and then U-turning out for masses of momentum. Superpower isn't useful very often but it's there when needed.

The special revenge-killer

Kadabra @ Focus Sash
- Psychic
- Signal Beam
- Hidden Power Ground
- Encore
Ability: Magic Guard
4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
The second-best revenge-killer in the tier, only trailing to Kangaskhan. However I went for Kadabra here because it would have left my team decidedly lop-sided towards physical attacks. Magic Guard means that, in spite of its frailty, it can actually switch in to stuff - either to slower attackers it can OHKO, such as Banded Sawk (so technically, it counters Sawk, at least without a Scarf), or, more often since I find that a bit of a waste of a Focus Sash, into many non-damaging moves, such as Musharna's Toxic or Braviary's Bulk Up, so it can force them out with Encore. Ampharos's slow Volt Switch is also great for bringing it in safely. And the fact that it never dies in one hit gives me a fair bit of leeway with regards to letting opponents set up. It's just a nice addition to the team, although probably the most replaceable member.

Last edited:
Fun stuff Noobcubed! Got wrecked earlier by this team cause isuckdick and it is a pretty cool team, especially in the current meta~! This said, there are some things that are major issues. Psychic types run through you, since you can't massively damage the bulkier ones, while you have difficulty outspeeding faster stronger ones. Toxic Spikes also pressure you greatly, especially with the style of your current team.

First off, I find Screens to be utterly unnecessary on a team like this, as both your sweepers are relatively bulky, while screens dont make a difference for Kadabra anyways. Instead I suggest Special Attacker Eelektross. Not only does it help to absorb ground attacks, but it also acts as a better pivot for bulky offensive teams like yours, while decimating any stall team which causes you issues with its amazing coverage. It also can help to sponge weaker offensive attacks that the rest of your team doesn't enjoy, and simply loses less momentum for offensive teams than Ampharos. Zap Plate is cool for bluffing specs and fucking shit up if real. Also boost to Tbolt + Volt Switch is awesome.

This honestly is a pretty good team, but I find the use of two revenge killers to be completely excessive. Instead, I recommend using Offensive Support Skuntank over braviary. This resolves both of your previous issues, as it traps and breaks down all relavant psychic types, which completely cripples opposing teams to the Gurdurr + Kadabra core. It also absorbs toxic spikes, making your team 100% more effective in the long run, as you decrease pressure allowing you to switch more often, as your team relies on resistances rather than pure defenses to take attacks.

If you are going to stick with Braviary don't use 4 HP EV that is bugging the shit out of me. Also don't use 4 HP on Ludicolo to minimize LO.

Luv u bro.

Skuntank @ Lum Berry / Black Sludge
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 252 Atk / 80 Spd / 176 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Crunch / Poison Jab
- Pursuit
- Taunt

Eelektross @ Leftovers / Zap Plate
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SAtk / 172 HP / 84 Spd
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Flamethrower
- Giga Drain

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)